Start by marking “Heads or Tails” as Want to Read:
Heads or Tails

Heads or Tails

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  983 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
The creator of 2008’s acclaimed graphic novel The Lagoon named to many annual critics lists including Publishers Weekly and USA Today’s Pop Candy is back with a stunningly designed and packaged collection of some of the most poetic and confident short fiction being produced in comics today.

To ask other readers questions about Heads or Tails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heads or Tails

Nat
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Carré’s elegant short stories read like the gothic, family narratives of Flannery O’Connor or Carson McCullers, but told visually. Poetic rhythms — a coin flip, a circling ferris wheel — are punctuated by elements of melancholy fantasy pushed forward by character-driven, naturalistic dialogue.

I've been eyeing this illustrated collection full of short stories ever since I read a similar book titled: How To Be Happy by Eleanor Davis. But unlike the aforementioned, Carré’s visually stunning art nev
Dov Zeller
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Strange, beautiful, dreamlike, theme-like, mazed and melancholy, some magical realism, and, as one Goodreads reviewer says, "an elegant sense of design." I loved this collection and look forward to reading more of her work.
Krista Regester
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Each page was different than the last. Lilli Carre has a wild imagination and her format for transferring her thoughts onto page are inspiring.
Susan
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lilli Carre is something special. Her graphic stories ooze charm and whimsy, but in a way so they never feel contrived or false. My favorites by far in this collection are "The Carnival" and "Too Hot to Sleep." The former is filled with arresting images, not the the least of which includes a windswept woman in a polka dot dress, a boy with a hair full of moths, and an ever-present, expressionless stuffed cow. The latter is great too in terms of its unforgettable and striking illustrations: a boy ...more
Vanessa (splitreads)
3.5. So imaginative and unusual, in a good way. I loved the dreamlike feeling of the short stories and the eccentric art. My favorite stories/strips were Wishy Washy, Rainbow Moment, and Stress Orchestra.
Nicole
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, graphic-novels
Imaginative and creative. Loved how the drawiing style for each short story is different.
lucy  black
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found this disappointing. I really liked her other books but this one felt shallow. It was too whimsical and dreamy. Each story was too short for the reader to engage with the characters and the characters were all pretty stereotypical and unlikeable.
Steve Hersh
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lilli Carre's artwork is fantastic. It will appeal to fans of modernist cartoons done in the limited animation style pioneered by the UPA studio. The stories are strong, and in some sense, magical realist. They remind me of a Michel Gondry movie. I loved this book.
Maca Duque
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Es una genia.
Kevin Fanning
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was great and the next time I have the book in front of me I will list here which stories were my favorites.

OK. Overall loved everything here, love her storytelling style so much. Kind of like illustrated dreams, but grounded in reality just enough to give you a real punch in the gut, emotionally speaking. Personally enjoyed the longer stories in the front half of the book to the smaller/shorter pieces in the back.

The Thing About Madeline - A woman realizes she is a doppleganger in her own
Jeff
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of the whimsical work of Lilli Carré, a talented contemporary cartoonist who isn't afraid to be twee, charming, or downright inscrutable when it suits her needs. Many of these individual pieces have been previously published, but it's still a joy to have them brought together in a single volume where readers can immerse themselves in Carré's strange and wonderful world. Highly recommended if you like idiosyncratic art comics heavily imbued with a sense of adventure and ...more
Linda Robinson
The longer stories made me a little queasy. Long limbs, odd heads, Daliesque storytelling. The Thing About Madeline is terrific, and Carre's short bits at the back are wonderful, too. I especially liked My Night Dance and Stress Orchestra. The book is designed by Carre, and the color palette is a combination of 50s paint chips and muted Ikea, separated by well-done grayscale. The best, the best begins "As I was working, the refrigerator abruptly stopped humming..." And the last few pages. Sublim ...more
Andrew
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
A series of surreal-ish stories based loosely around themes of contradictions and indecision. Keeping with the theme of indecision, I wavered between 3 and 4 stars on this one. The longer pieces ("Carnival," "The Thing About Madeline," "The Rainbow Moment") are wonderful. They employ dream-logic and creative visual storytelling to accurately capture emotional states. The shorter pieces, however, suffer from a surfeit of cuteness that made my teeth hurt.
Stewart Tame
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Make no mistake: these are art comics. Surreal things happen. Figures morph and twist. That said, there's an elegant sense of design and color at work here. There's a quiet, haunting beauty to some of these stories that is unforgettable.
noelle
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
carré's illustrations are charming and her writing is engaging, funny, and positively strange. 'the thing about madeline' is jacksonian (shirley) and hit all the right notes, and even though i borrowed the book from library i feel like i need to buy it now.
First Second Books
Lilli Carre has a new short story collection, and it is excellent. Her art is gorgeous and so is her storytelling – everything just all feels like it fits together in a wonderful magical realistic sort of way of strangeness.

My favorite? The story about the girl’s shadow who became a girl.
Gabrielle
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Incredibly gorgeous illustrations. With some super sweet and thoughtful moments about memories, insight into yourself and general surrealism. But I have a strong preference for a single story rather than collections of pieces that have appeared elsewhere.
Jessica
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love everything by Lilli Carre. Her artwork is thoughtful and her stories are like the craziest dreams you've ever had.
David Schaafsma
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Whimsical, sweet, colorful, sometimes surreal, quirky… some short stories and a collection of tidbits/sketches. Pretty wonderful stuff, really!
Robert
I wrote a review of this fine book for The Comics Journal online:
Meghan
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Short stories in comics form - she definitely has her own voice, and I liked the colors in this. The stories sometimes reminded me of very early Lynda Barry.
Sally Anne
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Literature and graphic novel at the same time!
BunnyDumpling
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Especially liked Rainbow Moment and The Flip.
The_Mad_Swede
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had not even heard of Lilli Carré before picking up this book of short format comics pieces (of varying lengths) at the library, and I am not entirely certain what attracted me to it in the first place. It certainly cannot have been the cover, which I do not actually find particularly appealing (or presenting Carré's brilliance adequately to potential readers). Regardless, however, I am immensely glad for whatever spur-of-the-moment made me take this book home, because - WOW! Just, simply wow! ...more
Leah
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This collection of stories and comics was very refreshing. It was abstract, creative, dreamlike, eccentric, hard-hitting, and so much more. There were many moments where I was completely shocked with how a story ended or left off.

My favorites of the collection were Wishy Washy, The Thing About Madeline, Rainbow Moment, and the Short Bits section. The illustrations were superb and the color choices were extra entertaining.

I would recommend this collection to anyone hoping for stories that strec
Felipe Assis
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Após terminar de ler o segundo conto percebi algumas coisas que me soaram familiares, a primeira foi o traço que é muito parecido com o da Eleanor Davis; continuei achando que haveria algo mais, li mais um conto e conclui que o clima familiar que estava sentindo vinha dos contos de ninguém mais, ninguém menos que Júlio Cortázar, pesquisei e constatei que a autora é uma grande fã do Borges e do Próprio Cortázar. Agora pense: a autora é super talentosa e ainda por cima tem quase que um passe dos c ...more
Emily
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018challenge
Lilli Carré's short stories are beautiful, wistful, and odd. The art is stylized and subtle and the text reads like poetry. The standout for me is the story "Rainbow Moment," which nests stories within stories like a Matryoshka doll, using color to set a different mood and feeling for each one. Very dreamlike.
Kenny Oravetz
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
An inventive but ultimately inconsistent collection of Carre's poetic, and often surreal, takes on modern life, admirably and often poignantly experimenting with a sizable array of formal techniques wed to the graphic medium.
Matheus Alves
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bittersweet, cuteness overload, the drawings are unbelievable good and the (short) stories are as deep and clever as it could be.
The only bad part about this graphic novel is that you can devour it too fast.
Louise
  • It Never Happened Again: Two Stories
  • Everything We Miss
  • Hand-Drying in America and Other Stories
  • Mother, Come Home
Lilli Carré is an artist and illustrator currently living in Chicago. She primarily works in the forms of experimental animation, comics, and print. Her animated films have shown in festivals throughout the US and abroad, including the Sundance Film Festival, and she is the co-founder of the Eyeworks Festival of Experimental Animation. Her books of comics are The Lagoon, Nine Ways to Disappear, Ta ...more

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Bookshop
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • With Shuddering Fall
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Small Great Things
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreaming in Cuban
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Hush (Just This Once, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Anywhere but Here (Vintage Contemporaries)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Sweet By and By
    $9.74 $1.99
  • George
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hangman's Curse (Veritas Project, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99