Start by marking “Elixir” as Want to Read:
Elixir

Elixir

When Revell Pharmaceuticals, the multi-billion dollar giant owned by the Revells, approaches Taylor Knox and his company with the possibility of a merger, the future has never looked better.

Not only will the merger benefit Taylor and his company—the promise of a personal share of the proceeds makes the move even more worthwhile. But in order to obtain this personal share,
Audio CD, Abridged
Published April 1st 2004 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Elixir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elixir

Start your review of Elixir
Samie Foster
Jul 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Elixer by Davis Bunn

Overall rating: Is it over yet?

This book is just one of those books that you grab off of the discount shelf at a store. You read the back and words like “A reluctant man must uncover a conspiracy of pharmaceutical company before they kill him.’ It has the image of test tube on the cover and image of man on the run. So why not? I like a espionage novel every once and I’ll give it a try.

The story is about this man named Taylor. He’s in one of the high places in a small pharmace
Ed
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Christianity in this story appears to be ecumenical. There is a lack of self-conviction upon Taylor even though he claims to be a Christian at the end of the story. I see no conviction of sin or repentance which is turning away from sin. It is a clean story, and no questionable scenes were brought into the story. There is a strong emphasis on surf-boarding, which I found very boring.
SoulSurvivor
Dec 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Soft food for eighth-graders ? This writer should be training oxen , not teaching writing !
Connie
In an effort to over take the pharmaceutical market, the multi-billion Revell company blackmails, hires thugs, and seeks to destroy a Revell family relationship. Taylor Knox is a tool in the effort. Throughout his search for family heiress and former lover, Kirra, Taylor finds himself in many places, including the isles of Scotland, on the coast of Spain, and in a monastery where he begins to face his angry self and to surrender to a higher power, God implied.

The story lacked in "thrill," but t
Lyn Richards
Taylor Knox a senior executive in a multimillion dollar company undergoing a merger, is now searching for Kirra Revell. Of course there is more than this to a simple company merger with undertones and threats, Kirra is a former love and Taylor is a former servant to the Revell dynasty.

The search Taylor is on takes us on amazing twists and turns and leads us to the discovery that ancient alternative medicine may be the cure all for everything that ails human beings. How powerful would this elixir
Ted P
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Looked like lots of potential at the start but would then find myself saying 'huh?' for a long while. This went back and forth throughout the book.. Reasonable finish but not heartpounding. Maybe the main character was doing too much soul searching for me. He came across as weak after a strong start. Weaker than a couple of the supporting characters. Shouldn't be that way.
Stacie
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea this was Christian fiction when I picked it up. Not a fan of the genre. I got sucked in by the cover and assumed it was another medical/science type thriller. Nope. Couldn't even finish it.
Andrea
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a good Christian read, but totally unbelievable and I had trouble in the beginning focusing and figuring out what was going on. I think it's more geared to a male audience.
DK
May 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-fiction
corporate team leader/surfer sent to find old flame/pharma giant's daughter/sister through Scotland (abbey) and France where he finds himself (religion); a bit weak
Michelle Lunsford
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great mix of intrigue, faith, and romance. Nicely performed by the narrator in this audio version.
Bonnie
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This action book surprised me by how much I liked it.
Nora St Laurent
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Muliti-billion dollar giant Revell Pharmaceuticals is devouring its competition. A new research breakthrough propels the company into releasing its most profitable product ever. Yet a family crisis confronts them when Kirra Revell, heiress to the empire, goes missing.”

Taylor Knox, an employee of Revells latest acquisition, is blackmailed into leading the search. An expert surfer, Taylor pursues the world's biggest waves as a cover, only to be ensnared in a deadly contest of corporate espionage.
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Taylor Knox has been sent to find one of his ex girlfriends who has mysteriously disappeared. Sounds straightforward, but she’s the younger sister of the CEO of a company who is buying out Taylor’s employers. And as soon as he starts asking questions, his life is threatened. He’ll have to travel halfway across the world to track Kirra and whatever she is chasing, unless what’s chasing after him catches up first.

I didn’t realize this book was written by the same author who wrote “The Centurion’s
Tim
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really a very strange book. It is sort of like those crazy jet set all over the globe corporate thrillers, a bit of a christian redemption story and starts out like a Zen surfing novel. None of these apparently work well together and maybe that is what the author was out to prove. Also I don't really like the stories where the main charecter came from nothing but somehow manages to be excelllent at everything and everybody they meet loves them.
Andrew Neveils
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good action/adventure filled with thrills and theology
This book was fast paced for the most part. It slowed in a few areas as Bunn atempts to develop the plot/characters, but does not do so well at it.

I loved the beginning and ending to this book!

It starts off right in the middle of action and ends with a bang as well! The middle is the only part that prevents this review from being a 5.

It's a great read! I read it in a matter of hours (long drive to South Florida).
Kae Cheatham
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Taylor has to look for Kirra Knox, who the sister, Amanda, says has been kidnapped. Kirra is Taylor's "true love." He begins the search, even though he knows Amanda can't be trusted. He revisits childhood places and we learn of his background. His search takes him to Ireland and then the Basque country of Spain. Many attempts are made on his life. He finds Kirra and makes many revelations about his own life
Brent MacDonald
There is a trend in the contemporary thriller genre, to try to so satisfy the reader's appetite for action, that the chase of the thrill overrides the simple art of storytelling. In Elixir, Bunn avoids this. As a clean and thoughtful writer, he seems to know the right balance between adrenalin-laced plot and contemplative character development. Not the most memorable book I've read, but certainly enjoyable just the same.
Marty
Apr 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry... I just couldn't get into it, even if I did read it all the way through.
I don't believe there is any excuse to take something from the middle of the book and stick it in the front as a prologue. That's a no-no in my rulebook. If you can't hook the reader with the beginning of a book, then something is wrong with it.
Eva
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read other Davis Bunn books and really liked them; however, I really didn't like this one all that well. It was very interesting to me in the beginning because so much of it took place in St. Augustine which I've been to on numerous occasions. Even the character development was good in the beginning, but it got muddled once he went to the monastery.
Andrea
Feb 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty entertaining story, although the detailed descriptions on surfing in the first chapter almost made me stop reading (not that I don't find surfing interesting, but I wanted things to move along).
JoAnne
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pharmaceutical corruption, Amanda the wicked sister to the 'kidnapped' Kirra, and Taylor, the brillant biologist hired to find her. Opening chapters kept me interested. Easy and entertaining read. I will pick up Davis Bunn again.
Lori
Aug 19, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just couldn't get into this one.
Stephanie Blackbern
strange time warp thing bit very good - I read all Davis Bunn-sometimes he is my "christian " version of John Grisham and like JG his style expands!
Glenda Burchett
Interesting enough, but not exciting. Kind of anticlamictic.
I expected more from this book.
Marliss Bombardier
Wow... it's been a looooong time since a book kept me up late because I just had to finish it, and then I felt a sense of loss once I was done with it. Very good book.
Karen
Jul 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Boring. I could not even get through the first chapter.
Elizabeth
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting view of what some drug companies might do..a little mystery and intrigue never hurt anyone.
A.
Oct 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspenseful
Poorly written, poorly edited. The plot is weak, the characters have no dimension and there's not a believable moment to be found. Wasn't worth skimming.
Julie Powell
not a bad book but I just had a hard time getting into it.
Jenny
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this author's mysteries, this one was one of the weaker ones, tho.

• The Great Divide
  • The Beloved Land (Song of Acadia, #5)
  • The Birthright (Song of Acadia, #3)
  • The Distant Beacon (Song of Acadia, #4)
  • The Sacred Shore (Song of Acadia, #2)
  • No Less Days (No Less Days #1)
  • The Dream Voyagers
  • Drummer In the Dark
  • The Book of Hours
  • Bait  (Denver FBI, #1)
  • From Sky to Sky (No Less Days, #2)
  • More Than We Remember
  • Target (Denver FBI, #0.5)
  • Threads of Suspicion (Evie Blackwell Cold Case, #2)
  • The Truth Seeker (O'Malley #3)
  • The Imposter (Legacy of Love #3)
  • The Heiress of Winterwood (Whispers on the Moors, #1)
  • Whirlwind (Only in Gooding, #3)
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a