Start by marking “Elements of the Real in Man (Diamond Heart, #1)” as Want to Read:
Elements of the Real in Man (Diamond Heart, #1)

Elements of the Real in Man

(Diamond Heart #1)

This four-volume series presents a collection of talks given by Almaas on topics such as faith, commitment, nobility and suffering, truth and compassion, allowing, and growing up. Through these talks, Almaas offers valuable guidance and advice for those on a spiritual path, and he explores the challenges and psychological barriers faced by those seeking self-realization.
Published September 5th 2000 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Elements of the Real in Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elements of the Real in Man

Start your review of Elements of the Real in Man (Diamond Heart, #1)
Elizabeth Andrew
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
The Diamond Method came highly recommended by both a friend and by The Christine Center in central WI--a place I deeply respect. Without these endorsements, I doubt I ever would have picked up anything by Almaas. I'm skeptical of spiritual teachers who talk in perpetual, sweeping generalities, who talk AT their students rather than engaging them in conversations, and who speak from a place of ultimate authority rather than curiosity. I guess I know too much about effective teaching.

But when I li
Eugene Pustoshkin
This book and the whole series, being a transcript of lectures, is a great supplement to the main corpus of A. H. Almaas’ more densely written works. It touches essential questions of life, the Work, each and every person’s psychospiritual journey.
Magdelanye
It is not a matter of whipping ourselves into line. It's a matter of seeking and understanding how we are Not in line...not in harmony with the truth. p68

If you are at all interested in such a concept, especially if you are skeptical regarding its probability or the possibility of its manifestation, you may find the Diamond approach shines a sharp light on all of our excuses. This first volume of the Diamond Heart series is a pristine introduction to the work.

In the search for truth, you have t
Deborah
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This first book in the Diamond Heart Series offers openings to what the Diamond Approach calls Essential Qualities, qualities of presence, of our very being, i.e., value, trust, truth, curiosity. The Theory of Holes blew my mind the first time I read about that concept (Chapter 2). It explains why so often we're searching outside of ourselves for something that we feel like we're missing (happens a lot in relationships).
Tony Bertauski
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As spiritual practice goes, AH Almaas writes the most accessible books for everyday living. Perhaps this writing isn't as useful to someone that hasn't worked with a group or teacher, whether it's Zen or some other meditative practice, but there is still much to gain from reading it.

Almaas has written many books, but the five books in the Diamond Heart series are among the best. I continue to read them and gain insight every time.

Don't miss this opportunity.
Steve
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I dunno. Been rereading lots of stuff on my "Spirituality" shelves, attempting to sort the wheat from the chaff. Almaas is smart and his theories of essence and holes is intriguing. But he writes all these books and wants to get you into a group to do "The Work" and, of course, that costs money, etc. It all seemed more cult-y to me this time around. I'm afraid I'm going with "chaff" here.
Jason Miller
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great start

This book is a great start to those interested in the Diamond Approach. It gives a taste of what's possible, what's new, what's not known, for those that yearn for it.
Glen Tucker
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book that really appealed to me as it touches deeply on the spiritual journey and the challenges that the individual encounters on the path. I have a lot of experience and so was wondering if the book and the information could help me. It did but the book and the subject is not easy reading and I had to read it a chapter or two at a time. Probably need to revisit some of the information to fully absorb it.
I have the second book and will tackle that after a breather because the book is intense.
Marie Gaspari
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It Goes Deeper

It explains Impeccable and indulgence. What truth really means. It it so different from what I have been conditioned to think.
Scott
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Haven't quite finished this one but it's a seminal work by a unique teacher, who seems very successful at integrating spiritual wisdom with modern depth psychology. This is a guy who seems to have figured a few things out, rather than regurgitating the usual aphorisms and spiritual pablum. Highly recommended.
Nancy
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oops, my "review" seems to have gone to some comment place. So, I'll repeat it. I thought this book clearly explained how we lose our essence as our personality developes and how we can go about remembering our essence again. I have the second book of this series and will be starting it soon.
Sean Menzies
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent book and introduction to the work of the Diamond Approach. It fairly clearly describes our loss of essence, the psychological holes in our ego structure and the process of non-interfering inquiry into our own selves - itself opening a process of self-remembering.
Squirrel
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those interested in spiritual/psychological growth and change.
Psychology meets enlightenment spirituality! Amazing stuff!
Sabrina Fetters
Jan 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Waste of time.
Mia
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: partial-read
Excellent. It's rambly at times since the book is transcribed from Almaas' talks, and he's definitely rambly, but very good stuff nonetheless.
Chris
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Almaas at his most accessible. His brand of spiritual depth psychology explained in simple and insightful terms.
Hilary Jackson
Sep 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul
  • Living Beautifully: with Uncertainty and Change
  • The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • Psychological Commentaries on the Teaching of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky: v. 4
  • Psychological Commentaries on the Teachings of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky
  • Gurdjieff, a Beginner's Guide--How Changing the Way We React to Misplacing Our Keys Can Transform Our Lives
  • Psychological Commentaries on the Teachings of Gurdjieff & Ouspensky, Vol. 2
  • Psychological Commentaries on the Teaching of Gurdjieff & Ouspensky Volume One
  • Psychological Commentaries on the Teaching of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky: v. 3
  • Psychological Commentaries on the Teaching of Gurdjieff & Ouspensky  Volume Five
  • In Search of Being: The Fourth Way to Consciousness
  • Life is Real Only Then, When 'I Am'
  • Gurdjieff Reconsidered: The Life, the Teachings, the Legacy
  • Meetings With Remarkable Men
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • Strengths Finder 2.0
  • The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less
A.H. Almaas is the pen name of A. Hameed Ali, the creator of the Diamond Approach to Self Realization. The Diamond Approach is a contemporary teaching that developed within the context of awareness of both ancient spiritual teachings & modern depth psychological theories. ...more

Diamond Heart (4 books)
  • The Freedom to Be (Diamond Heart, #2)
  • Being and the Meaning of Life (Diamond Heart, #3)
  • Indestructible Innocence (Diamond Heart, #4)

News & Interviews