Start by marking “Fast Friends” as Want to Read:
Fast Friends

Fast Friends

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,946 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
FAST FRIENDS is a warm and funny romantic novel from Sunday Times bestselling author Jill Mansell. For fans of Lucy Diamond, Cathy Kelly and Marian Keyes.

When the chips are down, who better to turn to then your oldest friends? When bored housewife and mother Camilla Stewart impulsively invites her old schoolchums for dinner she hardly imagines that the evening will shatter
Published September 4th 2006 by Headline Review (first published February 21st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Fast Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fast Friends

Elusive Controversé
Nov 18, 2014 Elusive Controversé rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
I usually really like Jill Mansell’s books except for a few including ‘Fast Friends’ which was terribly repetitive, long-winded and tiring. As it’s one of her earlier books, that’s understandable but it doesn’t change the fact that it was so bad that I found it hard to believe it’s written by Jill at all. It took me months to complete whereas I usually take a few hours to finish reading her stories.

It tells the story of three ‘friends’, Camilla, Loulou and Roz. Camilla’s life falls apart when sh
Barbara Elsborg
Jun 03, 2013 Barbara Elsborg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book has everything - infidelity, love, jealousy, tears, violence, kids, misunderstandings, mistakes - every possible romantic twist you can think of - you'll find them here. That might have made it not a good book but I think it is. Yes, it went on a bit too long and I though - oh no not again - when a certain hero and heroine were wrenched apart - but I still liked it.
There's no sex - so it don't look to it for that, but if you like books that delve into several relationships at t
Taramom22
Sep 07, 2016 Taramom22 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea why this book is rated so high. It seemed more like a over-the-top soap opera Danielle Steele book. I got about a third of the way through it and couldn't take it anymore. Skip to the end to figure out what happened and I could tell that all I had missed was a lot more soap opera like craziness. This is the worst Jill Mansell book I have ever read
Gina
Jul 29, 2015 Gina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun read (another freebie), good for beaches and public transportation, and touching in parts. But it's nearly as old as I am and, despite the edition I read being updated in 2002 to include references to mobiles and Eminem, it has troubling attitudes toward homosexuality and race.
So, I can't recommend it any more than I have, because I can't condone the odd uncomfortably homophobic or racially insensitive line. These bits could easily be edited out, and the book would be fine. Maybe t
Gretchen
Clever writing as always, but a bit long winded.
Goddess Of Blah
Oct 18, 2010 Goddess Of Blah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jill Mansell's books (that I have so far had the misfortune to read) have been far insult to an intelligent (or even semi-intelligent) audience. All seem to follow the same premise of ultra chick lit trash. Be prepared to lose brain cells when reading her trite, clichéd rubbish.

The heroine is generally naïve and either unsuccessful in her career or from a disadvantaged background. A confirmed sap, sh'es invariably misunderstood by our dashing rich “hero” - and is usually betrayed by a former boy
Lauren-marie
2.5 Stars for this one.
This book went on far too long for my liking, was there any need for it to be 600 pages?! Probably not. half of the stuff in here could've been cut out and probably should've.
I gave this 2.5 stars because I did like parts of this book. I loved Camilla and Loulou, they seemed so nice yet nothing ever went right for them. Although I couldn't understand how Camilla didnt seem to think once about her kids when she split from her husband. And Roz, how did she not develop as a
Pam
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Women's Fiction/1991/600 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: Stand-Alone
TIME/PLACE: 1990's, England
CHARACTERS: Camilla/ housewife, mother; Loulou/club mangaer; Roz/TV personality
FIRST LINES: Camilla stared at the girl sitting cross-legged on the bed oppoiste her.

COMMENTS: Bookcrossing ring/ray. Camilla, Roz & Loulou were roomates in school. Roz & Loulou have remained friends, while Camilla has led a more subdued
~☆laura
Apr 11, 2013 ~☆laura rated it it was amazing
Kingfan30
Nov 10, 2013 Kingfan30 rated it it was ok
I thought it best to take a lighter read away on a city break, and this was the nearest thing on my shelf. If you love chick lit it will be right up your street. For me not so much up my street I'm afraid. The three main female characters were easily persuaded into bed on the first meeting, they seemed to drink a lot and were then found driving somewhere shortly afterward. They didn't seem to learn from their mistakes with men or with each other come to think of it and the ending was very predic ...more
Marlieke
Apr 08, 2013 Marlieke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You can definitely see that this is one of Jill Mansell's earlier novels. It isn't as catchy as her more recent ones. Moreover, an awful lot of problems is happening to the characters. When one thing is solved, another problem comes up quite quickly. And not just to one character, no all of them get their share of problems. Jill Mansell could easily take several problems out of this novel and put them in another setting with other characters and she would have got another book.
However, it is st
Amanda
Apr 19, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epubs
I love Jill Mansell's writing, and this book was no exception, but it did feel like it took a little too long to get to the point. The beginning was good, but the middle portion of the book just seemed to drag on and on. I loved Camilla's character as she developed and grew into a more confident woman, and I loved how compassionate and effortless her character seemed. I also enjoyed Loulou and her transformation from good time gal to a mother. The character of Roz left a lot to be desired for me ...more
Kirsty
Wow, it's amazing to see the difference between this Jill Mansell book and the latest one I read last week.

I was shocked when I realized I hadn't read a Jill Mansell book yet, simply because it had never been translated to Dutch and I didn't know about it once I started reading in English.

This book was a bit of a train wreck, it was still good but it was like I was reading 5 books in 1. EVERYTHING that could possibly happen, happened to Camilla. I really enjoyed reading it, but I am very glad th
Gina -   Behind the Pages
Jill Mansell is an author that strives in pick-me-up corny romance novels. There is always a smile on your face while reading her novels and turns you mood around so you can laugh along with the characters and what happens as well as go "awwww" at the romance that is bound to happen between the main characters.

With Fast Friends, I wanted things to move along more and for them to get together quicker than they did but this was good also because it keeps the reader on edge, just so that they can w
Tania Lunde
Feb 04, 2015 Tania Lunde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast Friends was the first of Jill Mansell's books that I read, and the reason I've now read everything she's published. While after a fashion, the formula Jill uses becomes fairly clear (and makes for at least somewhat predictable reading) that is not to say that many of her books and characters are not enchanting and enjoyable. Fast Friends is particularly enjoyable as it is longer than her other novels, and therefore allows for much more development for the characters between what have become ...more
Susan
Feb 13, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was at least 3 times longer than it should have been. Every character kept falling in and out of love with different men. AND none were very likable either! In fact, sadly, the nicest, most loving character was gone halfway through the book. And the meanest character ends up a new person, full of sweetness and light! Bleh! Definitely not the best by this author. Too many unlikely happy endings..
audrey gordon
A sorry tale!

This story follows the lives of three friends and their ups and down. Sadly in this book it is mainly downs, with affairs, breakups, miscarriages, cotdeath, accidents and stabbings all part of the story. The story is muddled and ideas introduced but then left to disappear. I normally love Jill Mansell books for their quirky humour and likable characters but this left me depressed and cold. Not a feel good book for a cost read!
Kiki
Sep 07, 2012 Kiki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book could easily have been half the length it is. The same things keep happening over and over again with the characters continuously making the same terrible decisions. Each one of them is completely insane. I struggled in finding a character(and there are many of them) to like. If you read this be prepared to be frustrated the entire time. To be honest I made it 3/4 of the way before finally giving up and just skipping to the last couple chapters. Turns out I didn't miss anything.
The Cats Mother
I've been growing out of this kind of book, but acquired a copy and felt like something light and fluffy. It was better than expected - about 3 women who met in school then get together when one finds out her husband has been having an affair with another. They have various romantic adventures and a few tragedies, along the way to ending up with their true loves. It's all fairly improbable and very predictable with a nice happy ending.
Maggie'may Reinders
I am normally a fan of jill mansell and love many of her other books.
However i was greatly disappointed with this book. If this book had been the first to read fron jill mansell i would not have read anything else.
I found pretty much all the characters to be unlikeable not just one or 2 but all of them except matt. They were all just slutty and stupid
I found the story dragged and there was just drama put in willy nilly.
Hollie
Really good book, a bit longwinded in places but worth sticking with to the end. You really care about the characters in the book and are willing them to be happy. I have read Millie's Fling by Jill Mansell and enjoyed that so decided to give this one a go and I'm glad I did. I'll be looking out for more Jill Mansell books in the future.
Itza
Jan 04, 2009 Itza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loaned this book to my Mum because I enjoyed it so much.

I really love Jill's humour; it shines through so well in her writing.

Jill writes about famous people but no-one we know, just some of the characters are famous and you know what? They're lives are just as stressful and troublesome as ours!
Wendy
Mar 07, 2010 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, as I usually do with Jill's books. I wouldn't say this was her best novel but I'd put it in my top ten. It has the right blend of likeable characters along side the 'villains' needed to balance the storyline. Certain aspects of the storyline were a little predictable but it didn't take anything away from the enjoyment for me. All in all a good easy read.
Denise
Feb 06, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jill Mansell's debut book which I read when it was released in 1991. This was a fabulous read and the book that started my chick lit obsession. I loved reading Jill's books and eagerly awaited each new release, it's only in the last few years that I have lost interest in Jill Mansell books, not sure why?
Muizz
Sep 20, 2013 Muizz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm afraid it's not the best Jill Mansell I've read. The story is over the top: everyone is a celebrity (I like her books about 'the girl next door' more) and there is far too much drama in this book. Also too much characters that are not relevant for the plot line. Maybe I'd enjoyed the book more if it was half of it's length....
Ramona Lazar
I am a fuge fan of Jill Mansell, but this book...just didn't do it for me. I found it too long, with way too much going on (and I love a story with twists and turns, but this one...) and I didn't quite like the characters, especially Roz. And Camilla. Oh, and Loulou. And the guys...I think they were more likable than the girls...
Jayne
Sep 23, 2011 Jayne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rather than fast friends as in, "no matter what happens I got your back" friends, it would be more accurate to think of fast friends as in quick to jump in the sack with a guy.
Two of the friends are okay, with one of them being a very good person. However, the other one is very much only there to provide the conflict for the story.
Not one of Miss Mansell's best.
Cat
Jun 22, 2008 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I already learnt from this book:
I drink not enough alcohol, have not enough friends, and worst of all: I've had the wrong friends at school ;-) Anyway, it's definitely worth reading and a lot of fun :-)
Chrissi
I enjoyed reading this book. Some happy and sad moments balanced out well, however I felt the book went on for far too long and it lost some of my interest. Still, an easy, light read with a few surprises along the way!
Tawnie
Dec 20, 2009 Tawnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Enjoyable, but not the best Jill Mansell book I have read. It might have suffered from being a bit too long. Still enjoyable enough for a light read.
  • Welcome to the Real World
  • Forget me not
  • A Crowded Marriage
  • My Favourite Goodbye
  • Wish Upon a Star
Jill Mansell lives with her partner and children in Bristol, and writes full time. Actually that’s not true; she watches TV, eats fruit gums, admires the rugby players training in the sports field behind her house, and spends hours on the internet marvelling at how many other writers have blogs. Only when she’s completely run out of displacement activities does she write.

Jill Mansell's books have
More about Jill Mansell...