Start by marking “Logically Fallacious: The Ultimate Collection of Over 300 Logical Fallacies (Academic Edition)” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  317 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
This book is a crash course in effective reasoning, meant to catapult you into a world where you start to see things how they really are, not how you think they are. The focus of this book is on logical fallacies, which loosely defined, are simply errors in reasoning. With the reading of each page, you can make significant improvements in the way you reason and make decisi ...more
Published February 22nd 2012 by Ebookit.com

To ask other readers questions about Logically Fallacious, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Rod Hilton
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I feel bad for not liking this book more than I did. The author, Bo Bennett, definitely knows his stuff about logical fallacies, and it's clear he realized that a book listing 300 logical fallacies would be boring, and he made his greatest efforts to make the material lively and interesting, largely by injecting a lot of humor into the book.

But at the end of the day, it's a book listing 300 fallacies, and it's a slog to get through them all. Yes, it's funny. Yes, it's informative. Yes, it's comp
Laura Schmidt-Dockter
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I thought this book was hilarious and informative. I listened to it on audible which, I believe, made the technical explanations easier to take. Now I wish I had the actual book to use as a reference.
R. F. Errant
I have mixed feelings about this work. It's definitely encompassing, the examples are clear, and even the jokes are entertaining. However, the book proves that no matter how hard you try, when discussing logical fallacies, you eventually come off as a jerk.

Not really his fault. That's the nature of the subject. However, about two-thirds through I had to take to reading it in bits. Still, I recommend highly that everyone read at least one book on logical fallacies, and this could be the one for y
Max
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: logic, philosophy
Most of them are already clear to any sensible person. But then again what is sensible? I have to admit that the author did keep a smooth sarcastic and jocular theme throughout the book, probably so it doesn't become tedious reading all these fallacies.

My favourite one of them has to be "Ad Fidentia", particularly when it is used to prove a supernatural existence, people just like throwing this at me whenever I argue about God.
Joseph
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very extensive list of fallacies, this book lays them all out in clear English with excellent examples to help illustrate the way each fallacy is used. I have really enjoyed reading this book - it's an excellent option for when you only have a short amount of time to spend reading and, since fallacies are something everyone should be keen to avoid, the value of the content is enormous.
Bill P
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
After reading, I had no idea how this book ever made it past an editor and then to a publisher. This might be intriguing to a raw novice, but anyone with the slightest exposure to logic, rhetoric and philosophy will see the author frequently succumbs to the fallacies he condemns.

Then I found out that the author owns the company that published this book

Figures.....

Michael A.
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Generally liked it. Had a touch of humor in places. However, when he addressed religious ones, I found him using fallacies he had already condemned to attempt to prove religious arguments are fallacious. Using Ad Hominem, appeal to experts on other things, "Science says", straw man arguments, etc. to prove that Christian arguments were fallacious.
Majid
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: logic-منطق
This book is logically enriching yet it is critically shallow in some content.

For instances, many examples given in this 'logical' book blindly assumes that if a matter is lawful, then it must be right, logical and sound ! Which I see as a committed fallacy by the author himself.
T Patrick
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is NOT for people trying to prove beliefs. It is an incite on how people think and their "justifications" for doing so.
Simon Bruce
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
I actually really liked this read, I found the author both knowledgeable and humorous.
Sascha Leib
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy, rhetoric
Great collection of logical (and of course rhetoric) fallacies. This could be a great resource that you want to check back from time to time if it was in any way ordered in a more reasonable way than *alphabetical* (that's right, not by relation, not by similarity, not by classification). At least I have got the kindle version, so I can use the search function...
Marco Gagiano
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Terribly written and structured (like a primary school textbook), but the best overview of common thinking and reasoning errors I have discovered so far. The examples of fallacious reasoning and logic errors are great and some quite amusing.
Jason
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Enjoyed the book! It contains a huge collection of fallacies with easy to understand examples. The humor used throughout the book keeps readers engaged so that you don't feel like you're reading a dictionary.
Karen-Leigh
Learn to think.
Joanne McKinnon
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good introduction to logical thinking.
Even readers who consider themselves logical thinkers can benefit from this book. Plus, the author knows how to use humour to explain in plain words.
Suzi
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essential reading in these logically perilous times. Don’t go on social media without it.
Benas Aukstikalnis
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty interesting book. Maybe a bit hard to digest, since it has so many different fallacies.
TuVan Nguyen
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: debaters, public speakers, parents
This is one of the few books that I wish I bought a hard-copy of. Bennet does a decent job of describing the 300 fallacies, especially the formal ones. The examples he wrote are even-handed, so it doesn't just pick on one group that he could be ideologically against. For instance, he equally picked on both the Christian and atheist debating points. This is definitely essential reading for anyone who's interested in debates, public speaking, and controversy. It helped me see a lot of the illogica ...more
Mika Auramo
Bo Bennettin kirja loogisista virhepäätelmistä on mieluisaa luettavaa. Hän luettelee aakkosjärjestyksessä ja helppotajuisesti arkisin esimerkin tyypillisimpiä argumentointivirheitä.

Tohtori kirjoittaa innostuneesti ja asiantuntevasti niin usein ihan jokapäiväisissä keskusteluissakin esiin putkahtavia virheitä, joita moni poliitikkokin käyttää ikään kuin tavaramerkkinään.

Monesta päättelyvirheestä on rinnasteisia tai lähes vastaavia esimerkkejä. Alkuun lähdetään latinasta, kun päästään erilaisiin a
Craig
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
*Goodreads First Reads copy*

I found this book to be a quick and enjoyable read. Bo Bennett expertly mixed in humor with his explanations of the various logical fallacies.

The book was well laid out, in a concise manner. After the initial cover to cover read-through, I think it will make a great reference book. It allows the reader to learn how to better formulate arguments that are based upon reason and logic.

The one drawback, in my opinion was the overabundance of examples involving Christianit
Eduardo Garcia-Gaspar
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: razonamiento
Una colección organizada alfabéticamente de 300 falacias o modos incorrectos de razonar, expuestos bajo la misma estructura explicativa. Una buena referencia del tema para el interesado, pero no para quien es novato en él. Algunas dosis de humor lo hacen menos seco, pero aún así no es una lectura sencilla. Recomendable sin mayores alabanzas, seguramente hay mejores, pero la extensión de tipos de falacias y errores le da gran valor a la obra.
Es en lo general, una obra que muestra la cantidad de e
Nicholas
It probably isn't fair to judge this book like a story. It would be better to describe it as a technical reference. The book is made up of several entries that describe a single fallacy. Reading it from front to back will give you a lot of information, but it may not be particularly entertaining for long reading sessions. Still, I found the reference to be accurate, clever and informative. It is best enjoyed in small doses over a long period of time. If you are so inclined, this would probably m ...more
James Carter
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Somewhat, I've learned some arguments from Logically Fallacious, yet it's too encyclopedic that I can't remember a lot either. I think it's the constant use of religious example that zoned me out too much. It would have been nice if the author used real, actual examples (he did it one for the beauty pageant contender, but more, please). All in all, there's too much religion in Logically Fallacious, and most of it is pointless to me.

Memo to the author: It's not "The reason why is because..." but
Heather
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
It was insightful and made me think more on how I discuss various topics that may result in debate. It also has helped me to feel less irritated when people resort to tactics outlined in the book, because it is resorting to either weak argumentative strategies or simply avoiding the actual topic altogether.
Coatesj
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This was interesting and the author presents with humour. Who knew there were so many ways to build fallacious arguments? Many of these I was already well-exposed to thanks to my brother Barret.
Daniel Stephens
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good collection of logical fallacies, well presented. A good tool to improve your logic skills.
Joseph Nelson
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good collection of fallacies, although more history on each fallacy would be nice. Also, some of the "humor" I could have done with out.
Kendel Christensen
Accessible and Clear

Every fallacy has examples and explanations of the examples. I learned gobs of useful information. Will be rereading multiple times.
David Chadwick
Sep 28, 2016
Mitch
rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2014
  • 101 Philosophy Problems
  • Return to St. Bart's (St. Barts #3-4)
  • Symbolic Logic and the Game of Logic
  • Risk of Ruin
  • The Inevitable: Contemporary Writers Confront Death
  • Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West
  • Poseur: A Memoir of Downtown New York City in the '90s
  • 50 Philosophy Classics: Thinking, Being, Acting, Seeing: Profound Insights and Powerful Thinking from Fifty Key Books
  • The Story of Colors/La Historia de los Colores: A Bilingual Folktale from the Jungles of Chiapas
  • The Bastard on the Couch: 27 Men Try Really Hard to Explain Their Feelings About Love, Loss, Fatherhood, and Freedom
  • Patience With God: Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism)
  • Rationality and the Reflective Mind
  • BioHarmonizing: How To Flourish During These Interesting Times: Mindfulness, happiness, personal development, peace, spirituality, longevity, well-being and healing in the 21st Century
  • Italo Calvino: Letters, 1941-1985 - Updated Edition
  • The Key?
  • Own the Room: Discover Your Signature Voice to Master Your Leadership Presence
  • Sorting Things Out: Classification and Its Consequences

$17.99 $1.99
  • John Quincy Adams
    $12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Marriage in Dog Years
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • Maps and Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands
  • Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe
    $17.99 $1.99
  • SACRED JOURNEY OF THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR
    $9.32 $3.49
  • The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes on Your Back, Gas in Your Car, and Food on Your Plate
    $9.99 $2.99
“This cognitive dissidence causes people to create conspiracy theories, like the ones above, to change facts to match their beliefs, rather than changing their beliefs to match facts.” 1 likes
“no matter how good a belief makes us feel or how good the potential outcome of a belief can be, it does not affect the truth of the belief—and this” 0 likes