Start by marking “Runaway” as Want to Read:
Runaway

Runaway

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  18,078 ratings  ·  1,901 reviews
Here are the infinite betrayals and surprises of love–between men and women, between friends, between parents and children–that are the stuff of all our lives.

In Alice Munro’s superb new collection, we find stories about women of all ages and circumstances, their lives made palpable by the subtlety and empathy of this incomparable writer.

The runaway of the title story is a
Published November 8th 2005 by Vintage (first published August 11th 2003)

Manny
Not, who has read more Alice Munro that I have, wants to know why she doesn't write novels. Her uncharitable hypothesis is that Munro is too lazy to do the necessary work; she'd rather just scribble down each idea in short story form and then move on to the next one. Other people criticize her for being "cerebral" or "contrived". I don't agree with any of this, but I can see where the accusations are coming from.

After some thought, I find a metaphor which sums up my own feelings. It's true that
Cecily
Runaway: Noun or Verb?

As a noun, “runaway” conjures a fairly specific character and situation.

Image: Runaway child with backpack

But as a phrasal verb, running away is often much broader and more metaphorical.

Right now, writing this, while sitting at my laptop, I’m running away from planning a conference presentation. In the past, I have run away from physical fear (trying to climb a net); a job I hated so much it was making me ill; and from potential rejection (and thus from possible acceptance)
Tatiana
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Margaret Atwood's fans
Recommended to Tatiana by: The New Yorker fiction podcast
As seen on The Readventurer

Like many readers, I claim quite often that I am not really a fan of short stories, that is, I claim that until I come across the next good short story collection, like Alice Munro's Runaway. My imaginary dislike for shorts can surely be traced to reading too many poorly assembled multi-author anthologies. There are maybe two of them in existence that I can honestly call good. From my experience, single-author collections are much, much more satisfying.

Once again, I ha
brian
Jan 04, 2010 rated it liked it
in 1997, the reigning king of redonda, a tiny island & micronation in the bahamas, was so moved by superstar spanish writer javier marias's novel todas las almas that he abdicated the throne and handed it to marias. weird shit. so marias confers the title of 'duke' and 'duchess' to certain people, amongst them:

john ashbery (duke of convexo)
pedro almodovar (duke of trémula)
frank gehry (duke of nervión)
w.g. sebald (duke of vértigo)
guillermo cabrera infante (duke of tigres)

every year all the d
PattyMacDotComma
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short story lovers
3.5★
“In the brief note she left, she had used the word “authentic.” I have always felt the need of a more authentic kind of life. I know I cannot expect you to understand this.

That was Carla's note to her parents when she ran away with Clark, a no-good drifter, as her stepfather called him. She says he saved up the money for a farm, so he can’t be all bad. But he IS temperamental.

“Clark often had fights, and not just with the people he owed money to. His friendliness, compelling at first, could
Ahmad Sharabiani
Runaway: Stories, Alice Munro
Runaway is a book of short stories by Alice Munro. First published in 2004 by McClelland and Stewart, it was awarded that year's Giller Prize and Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize.
There are eight short stories in the book. Three of the stories ("Chance", "Soon", and "Silence") are about a single character named "Juliet Henderson".
"Runaway" – a woman is trapped in a bad marriage.
"Chance" – Juliet takes a train trip which leads to an affair.
"Soon" – Juliet visits her
João Carlos

O realizador espanhol Pedro Almodovar adaptou ao cinema os contos Acaso, Em Breve e Silêncio - com Juliet como protagonista.

Adoro contos...

A escritora canadiana Alice Munro (n. 1931) – de quem li recentemente ”O Progresso do Amor” (1985 - 1986) - 4*, Falsos Segredos (1994) - 5* e ”Ódio, Amizade, Namoro, Amor, Casamento” (2001) - 4* - Prémio Nobel da Literatura em 2013 é uma “especialista” na narrativa curta, reconhecida e aclamada como um ”mestre do conto contemporâneo”, apenas com um único roma
Paul
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Here's what Jonathan Franzen said about this book in the NY Times Book Review:

Basically, Runaway is so good that I don't want to talk about it here. Quotation can't do the book justice, and neither can synopsis. The way to do it justice is to read it.

But here's what Michiko Kakutani says about it in the NY Times:

Instead of assuming the organic, musical form of real life, they feel like self-conscious, overworked tales, relying on awkwardly withheld secrets and O'Henryesque twists to create narra
Hadrian
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Munro is a fine crafter of the short story. Each piece here has a careful balance of listing details and conveying emotional depth. I feel like I've read eight novels instead of eight short stories.
Dolors
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those not easily disturbed
Shelves: read-in-2018
Carla is a young woman who eloped with Clark, his former horse-riding teacher, to live her farm dream. As it usually happens in real life, the dream turns out to be a rather gloomy nightmare. Clark has fits of moodiness and treats her with despise and coldness.
Carla's neighbor Sylvie hires her to take care of the house while she tends to her moribund husband. A strong bond develops between the two women, and for a moment, the reader has high hopes for Carla: will she be resilient enough to esca
Susan
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Short stories can be deeply unsatisfying. Too often the nuance overshadows character and plot development, as if the author is cruelly trying to offer the reader a tiny taste of a story before yanking it away again. No so with Alice Munro. She writes with such simplicity and economy and mystery. The mystery arises from the way that she presents each story--just a few words at the outset, perfectly descriptive, but never overly so. And then the rest of it is just like (**alert**be prepared for ti ...more
Bruce
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This 2004 collection of eight stories by the Nobel Prize winning Canadian short story writer wonderfully demonstrates her narrative flair, the careful construction of her stories, and her psychological sensitivity and perception. As is characteristic of her work, the stories here feature women navigating the shoals of familial constraints, transitions, and, to use an overused term, dysfunctions. Munro works with an economy of language, conjuring moods and shifts of meaning, the subtleties of rel ...more
David Schaafsma
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Runaway is one of the short story collections of 2013 Nobel Prize winner, Canadian Alice Munro. I listened to the book, and really liked it, though I am a white middle-class, late-middle-aged man, and this book features white middle-class Canadian (particularly from Ontario) women, many of them late-middle aged. The focus is on stories of women and girls, on relationships, sometimes with men, and the every day, in every day language. They are unfussy, unpretentious, realistic literary fiction. I ...more
Quân Khuê
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sau khi đọc xong Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You và đọc gần hết Runaway của Alice Munro (bản dịch tiếng Việt là Trốn chạy), có thể kết luận rằng tuy Alice Munro đoạt giải Nobel, nhưng bà ấy viết hay, thậm chí rất hay ^.^ Chắc sẽ tiến ngay sang cuốn thứ ba là Cuộc đời yêu dấu.

Chất liệu truyện của bà giản dị. Bà không thuộc dạng nhà văn bịa ra những tình huống dị thường, kỳ quái hay gây sốc, nên có người bảo văn bà tẻ. Mình thì thấy không tẻ chút nào. Lúc nào đọc bà, cũng hình dung ra một
Cemre
Alice Munro'yu çok seviyorum. Bazı yerlerde hep Murakami ile karşılaştırıldığını görüyor Nobel'i Murakami'nin yerine Munro'nun almasının kimilerince 'haksızlık' olarak nitelendirildiğini görüyorum. Hiç Murakami okumadım; fakat Alice Munro'ya da haksızlık yapıldığını düşünüyorum. Munro'nun bana oldukça başka gelen bir havası var. Aslında çok 'değişik' insanları anlatmıyor; ancak o hep karşımıza çıkabilecek insanları öyle iyi bir şekilde anlatıyor ki kapılıp gidiyorsunuz. Sanırım bu sebeple "Kanad ...more
Glenn Sumi
One of Munro's best books, Runaway is also one of her most thematically consistent collections. The idea of "running away" or "escape" permeates each tale. And what to make of the fact that the book consists of clipped, one-word titles? Intriguing.

I love the linked sequence of three narratives ("Chance," "Soon," and "Silence"), and if you read carefully you'll see each of those words is repeated significantly in other stories, especially "chance." (Think of the chain of events in "Tricks," the s
Mohammed
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أليس الأمر مغريا بحق؟ أن تنزع عنك عِشرة إنسان أثقل عليك حياتك؟ أن تبدأ بداية ناصعة خالية من توابع الماضي وعثراته؟ أمر رائع، غير أن الأمور تستعصي على التبسيط، والعقبة الأولى هي النفس. سأكف عن الألغاز واتركك لتقرأ قصة (الهاربة) للنوبلية أليس مونرو.

لم تكتب مونرو ذلك النوع من الأدب الأنثوي الذي يستحضر الرجل فقط ليركل مؤخرته طوال النص، بل طرحت قضايا أسمى وأرقى. عن أنصاف النوايا كتبت، عن شبه الرغبة، عن بعض من التهور وبعض الندم. تحدثت عن الوحدة، عن الضعف الأنثوي العذب، عن قلة الحيلة والاستسلام لسيرورة
Hakan
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
öykülerde detaylı ve derinleşen bölümlerle, uzun zaman aralıkları, olay örgüsünde boşluklar ve dağınıklık iç içe. alice munro sanki aralarda söz alıp yol gösteriyor ve sonrasını okura bırakıyor. öyküleri tamamlamak, anlamlandırmak ve hatta hayatta olayları değerlendirmek, insanları anlamak için munro anlatısının verdiği sır ise ölçülü ve incelikli olmak.

alice munro'yu dünyanın en iyi öykücülerinden biri yapan ölçülülüğü ve inceliği. olayları felaketler ya da mucizeler olarak görmüyoruz öyküleri
Thing Two
Alice Munro - you can't just read her once. You've got to read her again, and again, and again.

Her stories written about women and men who live lives like you and I - quietly going about their days, wondering if they missed out on that great big love, or that great big chance; arguing with their children, or their parents, or both; pretending that life is grand, pretending that life isn't pointless.

She writes lush, beautiful tales which are long and enjoyable to read. I'm reading her again, soo
Minh Nhân Nguyễn
5 sao

Thật khó để có thể đánh giá một tập truyện ngắn 5 sao, vì không phải truyện nào trong đó cũng có chất lượng như nhau. Nhưng với cuốn truyện ngắn này mình không ngần ngại gì khi cho nó 5 sao, với chất lượng mỗi truyện theo mình đều từ tốt đến xuất sắc.

Đọc xong hết cả quyển sách thì cảm giác đầu tiên của mình là bất ngờ. Vì phong cách viết của tác giả quá đa dạng, biến đổi qua từng truyện ngắn, cả về nội dung lẫn cách viết. Có truyện bà viết rất mượt mà, mọi tình tiết đều rõ ràng, sáng sủa; c
Simona
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La Munro continua a mostrare le sue abilità di scrittrice anche in questa ennesima raccolta di racconti. Nelle parole, nelle emozioni di questa scrittrice canadese tutto è dove dovrebbe essere. Nulla è lasciato al caso, tutto è studiato e raccontato nei minimi dettagli.
In questi racconti si narra di donne in fuga, donne in fuga da se stesse, dai loro bisogni, dal destino che si accanisce contro di loro. Sono donne che, nonostante tutto, non rinunciano a se stesse e a ciò che sono, grazie anche a
Vonia
I do not usually prefer short stories, but Alice Munro's "Runaway" is an exception. Munro's work as a whole, in fact. Everybody knows that short stories are more difficult to perfect than the novel, thus the lack of well-written ones.

What makes her sorry stories stand out? One notable difference is that Munro's short stories are actually not that short. Strictly in words, many lean towards the lengthier "definition". (Short stories are not defined by length as much as structure. Although there'
Matt
Apr 24, 2012 added it
If Alice Munro built a bridge out of popsicle sticks to cross the Colorado River at any point, I wouldn't hesitate to step on it. Whatever there is to say about her genius, and there's a lot, we have to say, of all the instruments she commands as a writer, *structure* is the one with which she is most masterful. This is how she's a realist--not because all the people in her stories wear pants (when appropriate) and none have nipples that light up like flashlights on touch, but because meaning an ...more
Jane
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
I didn't realize this was a book of short stories when I bought it. It's my first book of short stories. I've decided that I don't care much for short stories. The characters and stories aren't developed enough. Her stories were a bit bizarre, mostly with endings I didn't like. Parts of the stories are interesting and I kept expecting them to get better and then I'd get disappointed. The only one I liked was the second to the last story. I think it was called Tricks. The last story I didn't unde ...more
Jo Walton
Thank you, Lev Grossman for comparing my work to Alice Munro and letting me know of her existence. I'm nothing like her, but that doesn't matter, she's wonderful, and now I can read everything she's written, yay!
Thomas
If you need someone to sell you on short stories, go to Alice Munro. Her writing is straightforward and easy to grasp, yet it still conveys a wide range of striking and subtle emotions. In Runaway, most of the stories involve a middle-aged woman reflecting on her past and how an event has affected her life. The premise of each story appears simple - a woman has a passionate love affair with a married man, a daughter fails to comfort her mom - which allows Munro to weave in truths about human rel ...more
Ana Lúcia
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Os oito contos de Alice Munro, reunidos em Fugas contêm vidas inteiras. Vidas de mulheres, das suas relações, dos seus conflitos, das suas buscas incessantes de um significado para as suas vidas.

«Fugas é um grande prato de caviar, a navegar sobre uma brilhante cama de gelo, com uma colher de madrepérola. Lembre-se: é por esta razão que come, lê, faz amor, o que quer que seja – para se entregar à [para se deixar levar pela] tola sensação de admiração e prazer.»
(The Washington Post)
نعیمه بخشی
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story, 1394
به آلیس مونرو اعتماد دارم. به نثرش، روایتش، خط داستانش، به شخصیتهاش که نه خیلی خاصن نه خیلی دورنگرا، نه عجیب و غریب. معمولی و عادین. بهش اعتماد دارم چون میدونم بلده. همه چیز رو میدونه. با ظرافت یه بانوی کانادایی میدونه کجا چیکار کنه. مثل وقتی که خط داستان مث یه نمودار سینوسی شیبش عوض میشه و خواننده با یه کشف و شهود به لذت دوچندان میرسه.

Jenbebookish
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, short-stories
I've never been a fan of short stories. And until recently I wasn't aware that I share this dislike with a pretty significant amount of people…I've been seeing around Goodreads how common it is for people who read novels not to like short stories. It would be interesting to know if the reasons for that distaste are all similar, at the core.

So, I started this book with an open mind. I was excited to read it, knowing after all, that Alice Munro is a Nobel Laureate from 2013 and that her fan base c
Marianne
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Runaway is a short story by prize-winning Canadian author, Alice Munro, available free at https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20.... Carla is a runaway, having left her parents in Toronto to live with Clarke in a trailer, looking after his horses and helping with riding lessons. Carla’s step-father called him a loser and a drifter; her mother said he’d break her heart. Money is tight but Clarke has a plan that involves their neighbour, recently widowed Sylvia Jamieson. Carla is sent up to the hou ...more
Can someone help me find this book? 1 9 Sep 20, 2017 07:15PM
  • Reasons for and Advantages of Breathing
  • Swann
  • Among the Missing
  • A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You
Alice Ann Munro, née Laidlaw, is a Canadian short-story writer who is widely considered one of the world's premier fiction writers. Munro is a three-time winner of Canada's Governor General's Award for fiction. Her stories focus on human relationships looked at through the lens of daily life. She has thus been referred to as "the Canadian Chekhov."

She is the winner of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Liter
“The conversation of kisses. Subtle, engrossing, fearless, transforming.” 1226 likes
“This is what happens. You put it away for a little while, and now and again you look in the closet for something else and you remember, and you think, soon. Then it becomes something that is just there, in the closet, and other things get crowded in front of it and on top of it and finally you don't think about it at all.

The thing that was your bright treasure. You don't think about it. A loss you could not contemplate at one time, and now it becomes something you can barely remember.

This is what happens.

...

Few people, very few, have a treasure, and if you do you must hang onto it. You must not let yourself be waylaid, and have it taken from you.”
117 likes