Start by marking “The Client / The Street Lawyer” as Want to Read:
The Client / The Street Lawyer

The Client / The Street Lawyer

Published January 1st 1999 by Cresset Editions/Random House UK (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Client / The Street Lawyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Client / The Street Lawyer

Start your review of The Client / The Street Lawyer
Jerrie Brock
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I did not read these together, I read The Client a long time ago and enjoyed it. But then I read The Street Lawyer. It wasn't altogether bad, just not something I could get into since it became obvious that Grisham just want to spout his political views rather than giving an honest story. Unlike Grisham, I do not merely research the homeless through some interviews, I have lived in areas where they reside and work in areas where I have to clean up after them. To really get a feel for this story, ...more
Zhao Yong Chen
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
The Street Lawyer is about a protagonist named Michael Brock who survived being a hostage of a homeless man going by the name "Mister" The protagonist of the story becomes traumatized by the event and experience's survivor's guilt, a feeling of guilt when you survive a situation but someone else dies. Throughout the book, the protagonist spends his time trying to figure out the life of Mister and changes by becoming less focused at his work.
Although this book was very suspenseful, I didn't
Jodi Deda
Nov 12, 2009 rated it liked it
I read the street lawyer and happened upon it by chance when at a party of a friends friends apt. :-)Probably my first John Grisham book and it was a good solid book to read and it made me realize about the homeless more than I used to.
Stephen Hayes
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I bought this cheap on the toss-out table at the city library. I already have The client in separate binding, and read it more than 20 years ago, so I just read The street layer.

The street lawyer is bit didactic, but still quite readable. Michael Brock works for a big law firm in Washington and one day a homeless man comes in and takes hostages. This leads him into the
world
-A
May 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first story of the book was very good.

The second story was a tad too preachy.
Katie S
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the book, The Street Lawyer, by John Grisham, Michael Brock, a big time lawyer working for the firm, Drake & Sweeney, for seven years now, experiences many changes in his life. Michael is held hostage with his fellow coworkers when a homeless man named Mister keeps them hostage and asks how much money they donate to homeless people from their salaries every year. After every lawyer says little or no money goes to the homeless, Mister is shot to death by the police, and this leaves Michael ...more
Vanderkooi
The Client is about two boys, Mark Sway age eleven and Ricky Sway age eight. They were involved and witnessed the suicide of Jerome Clifford, a lawyer from New Orleans. Clifford was trying to die from carbon dioxide poisoning but Mark kept taking the hose off the exhaust pipe. Clifford finally saw Mark doing it and grabbed him and threw him in the car. Clifford then tells Mark why he’s trying to commit suicide. He figured was going to get killed from the mafia, so he wanted to die on his own ter ...more
Danny Trainor
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
John Grisham's "The Street Lawyer" is the dramatic story of a mans desire to do good, at all costs. The plot focuses on how ones conscience can get turned inside out, and the journey to regain what was lost to the temptations of society.
Michael Brock, a young and very successful lawyer is on the fast track to greatness; and an even greater paycheck. One day he and several other lawyers at Drake & Sweeney are taken hostage by an armed homeless man. The crisis ends with the homeless man dea
Janice
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Too much swearing. The situations were believable. The author painted the pictures well, you could really visualize the people and the places. It was very suspenseful. After finishing it I wasn’t sorry that I had read it, but I knew it wasn’t one of my favorite books.
You could relate to the boy Mark and to his brother Ricky. It was actually a blessing to the family that the boys went through what they went through. But the author didn’t really ever point out that fact. There was probably
Austin Ricklefs
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
John Grisham's The Street Lawyer is a realistic fiction novel. The main point is to show how a young, wealthy lawyer on the path to the "American Dream" gave it all up to help the homeless.
Michael Brock, the protagonist and narrator is a young Yale graduate who works at a top notch law firm, Drake & Sweeney, and is on route to becoming a partner in the firm. One day, a homeless man came into the office and caused a scene. Nine lawyers were held hostage and traumatized. Micheal and his
Ayumu Sasaki
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Publisher: Penguin Readers, level 4
Time to Read: 80min.
7 words summary: rich lawyer homeless attack research found suspicious
Discussion Question:
Do you want to be the rich in the future or want to marry the rich?
A. In fact, I want to be a rich person, but I have no desire to earn a lot of money.

Time to Read: 100min.
7 word summary: rich homeless hostage suspicious change quit new
Discussion Question:
Could you work 90 hours a week if you r
Sami D.
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Street Lawyer: If I had to describe this book in one word, I would use : extraordinary. Never have I read an excellent story about someone committing a wrong to fix a wrong. I did not realize the depth of poverty and homelessness. Before reading this book, whenever I saw a person begging on the street, I automatically would refuse assuming that said person would use the money for drugs. But after reading this book, it is fair to say you cannot assume. You just never know what situation the p ...more
Sarah Spelbring
I read this book ages ago (I don't really remember when it was), but it was my first John Grisham book ever and I was pleased when I finished reading it.

The Client made me feel for the two boys, especially Mark, who had to grow up quite quickly for the sake of his family. The Street Lawyer was more of a story of how a person can change their life around to find purpose and meaning.

I liked them both, it's a great combination of stories.
Penny Reinecke
Dec 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I picked up this book for an easy read on a train. And that is all it was.

A lawyer who has an epiphany! Great!

But an interesting, if small, insight to the problems and severity of homelessness in America. And the big money earned by lawyers.

But the ending? An old lawyer whose only aim in life ever is to earn lots of money has his own epiphany? Two lawyer epiphanies all in 350 pages?

Now that is too much to believe!
P.S. Winn
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you haven't read a John Grisham novel, this is a great collection to grab. The author takes readers into the lives of what feel like real people in both stories and I found both tales intriguing and believable. This is an author who knows what real people are like and how they feel when faced with challenges.
Valerie
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 10-000-book-goal
i only read street lawyer in this edition. the first pages were action packed. i wish every lawyer will read this and offer their services for free to those who can't afford.The main character quit his partnership dream and decide to work for the poor. slow twist of events but it made turn every page.
Jeanie
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: john_grisham
I only "read" The Street Lawyer but couldn't find it listed except in a set. Plus I listened to the MP3 version. Anyway, it was a 'feel good' sort of book that makes you look at your life and realize that there are so many people who need help that if we all just gave a little of ourselves, everyone would flourish.
Cora
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beyond the great storytelling of John Grisham, The Street Lawyer is witty and thoughtful. His research and insights into the homeless in Washington, DC is compassionate without being sappy. I would highly recommend this as a read and will be watching for more books like it.
Alcornell
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Another Grisham that moves quickly, with a tight frame and an unbelievable but satisfying conclusion. Inspiring focus on the homeless. Mordecai Green is a hero that should make another appearance in a JG novel. I'd read it.
Lisa Whittle
Sep 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Street Lawyer was actually a "feel good" kind of read. I liked the idea that a life changing event could change the ambitions of successful attorney and result in him making the world a better place. An up close & personal look at the life of the homeless in D.C.
Reg
Sep 14, 2012 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: people who love law books.
Recommended to Reg by: no one.
Just recently bought the two books, am yet to read them .
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A little bit better than the last book. I liked the part where Michael was volunteering at the soup kitchen.
Audri
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Audri by: the summer reading list
I've only read The Street Lawyer, and as you can see, I really did like this book, I was able to get into it even though it was assigned as Summer Reading for Junior Year.
Bryce Joel
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Street Lawyer was much better than I had expected.
Sunni Schow
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Street Lawyer is great! The Client was average.
Teira
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
love the street lawyer read it like 5 times
Anisa Hajimumin
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I read the Street Lawyer-awesome story-one of my favorites.
Alexandra Christiansen
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was an awesome book and really good John Grisham is an awesome reader when you first start than you can't put the book down.
Nomsa
May 13, 2013 added it
the street lawyer is a great, compelling fast moving novel with the obviouse ending
Cindy
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cindy by: My sister
I love this book, I read it while traveling in Norway, and the suspense was such I could not put it down. Caused a few sleep deprived days, but it was worth it.
Goodreads Librari...: Add reciprocal ACE info 1 8 Sep 23, 2018 12:10PM

• Minecraft: Minecraft Building Tips: Building Made Simple
  • Minecraft: The Chronicles of Herobrine (Minecraft books)
  • Minecraft: 30 Sneaky Minecraft Tricks
  • Minecraft: Redstone Handbook
  • Minecraft: The Island (Official Minecraft Novels, #1)
  • Minecraft (The Ultimate Players Guide To Minecraft)
  • Minecraft: Diary of a Minecraft Enderman Book 1: Endermen Rule! (An Unofficial Minecraft Book)
  • Minecraft: Essential Handbook
  • Invasion of the Overworld:  A Minecraft Novel
  • Minecraft: Combat Handbook
  • Minecraft Books: Diary of a Minecraft Zombie Book 14: Cloudy with a Chance of Apocalypse
  • Minecraft: Zombie Escape - A Minecraft Novel
  • Minecraft: The Crash (Official Minecraft Novels, #2)
  • Minecraft: Construction Handbook
  • The Sins of the Fathers (Matthew Scudder, #1)
  • The Master Butchers Singing Club
  • Michael Connelly - The Harry Bosch Collection (ebook)
  • The Stephanie Plum Novels #2 (Stephanie Plum, #6-8)
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child