Start by marking “Mars Plus (Man Plus #2)” as Want to Read:
Mars Plus (Man Plus #2)

Mars Plus

(Man Plus #2)

Fifty years after the colonization of Mars forced its new residents to undergo genetic and cyborg alteration, the Martian computer net, upon which all Martian life depends, develops a dangerous mind of its own. Reprint.
Published June 1st 1995 by Baen Books (first published June 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Mars Plus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mars Plus

Start your review of Mars Plus (Man Plus #2)
Josh
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Disappointing sequel to the masterful "Man Plus" story; pretty much completely missing all of the admirable qualities of its predecessor. Honestly, I'd be happier if Pohl hadn't put his name on this and let his writing partner take full credit - it feels like he had almost no influence on this at all. The ending is just flat out disappointing and not a terribly logical conclusion to this story, much less finishing out the preceding tale. Not quite as horrendous as the capper for the recent ...more
Shannon
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Not as emotionally deep as the first book, but a little more action oriented and fast paced.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
Frederik Pohl & Thomas T. Thomas's Mars Plus
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - Sept 21, 2012

I haven't read the novel that preceded this, Pohl's Man Plus, & that makes me feel slightly uncomfortable since I'm a 'completist' sort at times & prefer reading series in order. Then again, no biggie. This struck me as the most Heinleinian bk I've read by Pohl yet - partially just b/c on p 38 the word "Waldo" is used to mean a "remote manipulator" as it was coined to mean by
Punk
Jun 12, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
SF. Oh give me a home, where the cyborgs do roam, and the grid is not silent all day! It's 2043 and Mars has been colonized by earthlings. They live underground in domed cities run by a computer system known as the grid, and the circuitry is getting a little tired of the humans thinking they know best. The pov jumps between several one-dimensional characters and the plot hinges on an abstract threat we're told about but never actually encounter. The "threat" is all hat and no cattle and is ...more
Linda
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
The sequel to Man Plus, it was disappointing, as in fact was the original. Pohl is one of the truly great SF voices, but this book felt like quickly written pulp. The main character was supposed to have a thick drawl, but it essentiallly vanished except when the authors remembered. She is shallow, stupid, and not particularly sympathetic. The other characters weren't much better; there was not much development, and I didn't care about what happened to any of them.

I forced myself to finish the
Kirsten #ripclivecussler #nationalchiliday #internationalpolarbearday
A good follow-up to Frederik Pohl's earlier novel, Man Plus.

The story takes place 50 years after the first book. Now, there is more than just the one cyborg on Mars. There are cyborgs, and partial cyborgs, and humans with cybernetic implants. It seems like no one can get on with this technology. It's no wonder that something goes wrong...

I'm glad I went to all the trouble to get this book via interlibrary loan.
Henri Moreaux
I felt like this was a solid sequel to Man Plus, however it definitely lacked the same level of zing as the prior novel.

Set 50 years in the future we return to Mars & Roger where something is afoot and the computers seem to be having more "errors" and "bugs" as we saw earlier in Man Plus.

Characters seemed a bit flatter, but was still entertaining and enjoyable.
Ivan Bogdanov
Странна книжка. Авторите предвиждат самоосъзнаване на мрежата много преди да може да се говори сериозно за мрежа. Книгата е интересна, но реално 2/3 от действието е някакъв увод, а след това всичко свършва набързо за 2 глави.
Но все пак е Фредерик Пол.
Прочетете я.
Tymothy
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the first book, but still worth reading for the extension of the story and an interesting look at a near-future solar system.
Lynne
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A sequel to Man Plus. As happens in Pohl's sequels, it has a somewhat disjointed plot and characters. Otherwise a fun read with the cynical voice Pohl lends all his characters.
I
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty cool book. Almost retro in feel. The overall plot was interesting but I felt like there would be some really cool stories about the androids roaming Mars.
Mike
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a sort of follows on from Pohl's Man Plus. It isn't as famous as Man Plus and having read it I understand why. Its not that its bad, its just not good, just sort of okay.
Eric
Jun 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer
  • Metro 2033 (Metro, #1)
  • Little Brother (Little Brother, #1)
  • The Windup Girl
  • Некрономикон
  • Бойно поле Земя II (Бойно поле Земя, #2)
  • Бойно поле Земя I (Бойно поле Земя, #1)
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - Parte 1 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 1)
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - Parte 2 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 2)
  • Фантастични светове, #2
  • Фантастични светове, #1
  • Starship Troopers
  • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values (Phaedrus, #1)
  • These Truths: A History of the United States
  • Valentine Pontifex (Lord Valentine, #3)
  • The Runaway Robot
  • The Halloween Tree
  • Majipoor Chronicles (Lord Valentine, #2)
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor and fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited Galaxy magazine and its sister magazine IF winning the Hugo for IF three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.

Man Plus (2 books)