Start by marking “Exile's Valor (Alberich's Tale, #2)” as Want to Read:
Exile's Valor (Alberich's Tale, #2)

Exile's Valor

(Alberich's Tale #2)

This stand-alone novel in the Valdemar series continues the story of prickly weapons-master Alberich. Once a heroic Captain in the army of Karse, a kingdom at war with Valdemar, Alberich becomes one of Valdemar's Heralds. Despite prejudice against him, he becomes the personal protector of young Queen Selenay. But can he protect her from the dangers of her own heart?
Published October 5th 2004 by DAW (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Exile's Valor, please sign up.
Ekaterina Polyakova Where did you see that? I own a paperback from 2004 and Alberich there is riding a white Companion. There IS a brown horse on cover, but it is just th…moreWhere did you see that? I own a paperback from 2004 and Alberich there is riding a white Companion. There IS a brown horse on cover, but it is just there in the corner, and it is probably one of other fighters.
Unless I there is another even older cover that I can't find online.(less)

Start your review of Exile's Valor (Alberich's Tale, #2)
Jeremy Preacher
I don't think this is quite as strong a book as Exile's Honor, but I like it well enough. The primary plot (Selenay being a featherheaded teenager) is eyeroll-inducing at best, but I do like just about everything from Alberich's perspective, and his romance is charming and realistic, which is a nice change from all of the fated and sort of dire pairings we've seen so far.

Two small rants, though:

- Selenay is the Queen, had been raised from birth to rule, in an environment that has been firmly est
Olga Godim
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
To my surprise, I never read this book before. I thought I read all the Valdemar novels long ago. Obviously not. As many stories later in this series, it’s kind of a mystery. Something strange is going on in the capital of Valdemar, and Herald Alberich, the kingdom’s Weaponsmaster, is investigating. Along the way, he is doing the other part of his duties, teaching weapons and fighting techniques to the students of the three Collegiums: the Bards, the Healers, and the Heralds.
Alberich is one of t
Len Evans Jr
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mercedes-lackey
I think this book was even better the second time around. I always love noticing stuff I missed the first time around... And sometimes it is the silliest things... for instance this line from the book made me giggle out loud this time through and I did not even remember it the first time through. Last page of Chapter 12 pg 258 in the paperback version. The line is "chattering like a flock of noisy little birds, and he with the look of a man being nibbled to death by ducks". All I can say is Ms. ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Hardcore Valdemar Fans
Shelves: fiction, novels, fantasy
I do love Lackey's Valdemar and picked up the earlier books eagerly. For me they're the equivalent of bookly comfort food. But I was disappointed in the earlier book centered on Alberich, Exile's Honor, and I'm afraid this sequel to it is no improvement.

It's a common criticism of Lackey that she's very black and white in her worldview and characterizations. That doesn't suit in fleshing out the supposedly intimidating Alberich, who hails from Valdemar's traditional enemy, Karse. It also doesn't
Amy
Exile's Valor was a decent book; entertaining with some poignant parts and I liked getting to spend more time with Alberich. However, it was very much more YA than Exile's Honor, and it seemed like Selenay - who came across as very mature in the prior book - lost most of her brain for the majority of this story.

Also, it can't possibly be that difficult to come up with some evidence against the 'patron'. They have at least two of the coded (now decoded) letters that were being passed, and those
Judy Hall
It has been less than a year since the death of King Sendar in the Tedrel Wars. His daughter, Selenay, has been crowned but her youth makes her Councilers nervous. There is a plan among them to get her married off and she is determined to thwart them, unless her own heart leads her astray.

In the meantime, her Weaponsmaster, Alberich, has found some disturbing signs in his second role as spymaster for the Heralds. He has found someone trying to foment unrest against Selenay and he has also seen s
Dlora
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been reading Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar fantasy series for the last two months—all 24 of them. Some of them I like better than others but all of them are entertaining. (though I’d only give five stars to my favorites: the two books about Weaponsmaster Alberich: Exile’s Honor and Exile’s Valor.) Usually Lackey writes a trilogy following the growth and experiences of a character who doesn’t fit in and is suddenly thrust into an unexpected new life where he or she learns about his own abilitie ...more
Jessalyn King
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, grown-human
Diana
Review to Come
Neeuqdrazil
More of Alberich's story, and the background to a bunch of things that happen in the Arrow trilogy.
Saphirablue
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aya
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Heralds of Valdemar Prequels: 2
This is a slooow story. About two thirds of it is setup for the sudden court intrigue that picks up the pace in the rest of the book, but even that's a speed-up-slow-down stutter as opposed to a race to the finish. The writing is full of unbelievable setup that the author tries to justify to the reader with paragraphs of rationalization that don't work. Hey, if you have to explain it, you obviously didn't do it right. If you took the trouble to try to forcefeed the
Dawn Livingston
I think I read this many years ago and liked it better then. This time around I found it slow and boring with the only action at the very end. I did a lot of skipping and skimming, mostly skipping. The first book established Alberich as a character and was worth reading for that alone.

I'd say read the first of the series and maybe skip this one?

I recommend this book to fans of Mercedes Lackey, fans of Valdemar, people that feel they have to read every Valdemar book, fans of Alberich.
Erinn
Feb 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Great book written about a story that is refurred too in her other novels. It was fun to read even though I knew the eventual outcome. Still, she managed to put some surprising elements that I wasn't expecting at all in it.
Hollyberye
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm very fond of Alberich and feel that the author has done a wonderful job in portraying the complexities of his character. I enjoyed this thoroughly, and even more than its predecessor, Exile's Honor. I wish there were many more Alberich books.
Michele bookloverforever
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Exciting, intrigue, danger, miscommunication, sadness, trickery...unresolved ending, loose threads dangle...
Ria Bridges
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Continuing the story started in Exile’s Honor, the Tedrel Wars are over, and we return to a somewhat subdued Valdemar. The King has been killed and the new Queen Selenay has yet to finish her year of mourning before people start to push potential husbands on her, in the belief that a woman cannot hold the throne alone. And Alberich is slowly working to uncover a plot that threatens Selenay, and perhaps all of Valdemar itself.

Whereas a good half of the previous novel featuring Alberich as a main
Tabsie
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Here there be spoilers. Do not read if you don't want my rant to ruin the story for you.

You have been warned.

...Does this woman no longer have an editor? I read and re-read it five times and I'll be blunt - the ERRORS in this book make it nearly unreadable. I wrote out a timeline and this book doesn't jive in any way, shape, or form with the timeline of the Arrows of the Queen timeline concerning the ages of important characters. And hey, anybody else notice how in By the Sword the king of Rethw
Mark Isaak
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Lackey has a slight tendency to be wordier than she needs to be; the plot has one or two holes in it (why did the Valdemar court, which so values intelligence and espionage, have nobody in neighboring Rethwellan asking questions?), and the question left unresolved at the end of the book, presumably to serve as basis for another book, would be resolved in two pages if the main characters acted intelligently. Still, the story has nice plot, with small details achieving new significance later in th ...more
Beatrice
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
In Valdemar, Alberich has found his place. Weaponsmaster by day, spy by night, ever alert, ever vigilant. The new Queen is having trouble finding her footing, and her Councilors are pushing for a swift marriage. But Alberich senses danger. The only question is, will it come from within or from outside? And will he be ready when it comes?

Nice to see the characters develop, and I will be eager to see how this series unfolds.
V. Benet
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series... not only for the interesting character threads that Mercedes weaves, but it fully transports me away from my troubles and gives me full entertainment distraction. I appreciate that... so pleasurable to read. I wish there was another, as this book leaves the identity of the one who orchestrated Queen Selenay's attempted kidnapping undiscovered. I am hoping she eventually will give us another in this series (or several!)
Azrel
That's about it really. It took me this long because I kept putting it down and I had to keep reading it over and over and over-because I kept forgetting what I'd read in the book. :/ Oh well.

At least in Alberich's defense, he's not ablest, he's willing to work with you if you disabled/lost a limb/etc.
Linda Malcor
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
They really need to stop trying to number the Valdemar books. It's very confusing. This is part of a duology about Alberich, the Weaponsmaster. (Exile's Honor is the companion volume.)

It's a great deal of fun to wander around inside the head of the character who strikes such fear into Collegium students.
Jay
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Alanna
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tanya
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this novel, although I really loved some parts of this novel I still had problems with the writing and the grammar. I don't think Ms. Lackey had a good editor for her novels. I also thought that some of the parts of this novel dragged on.
Lynn Mitts
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent read and an in-depth look at one of the characters and his story within the realm of Valdemar as an exile from the country that they have always been at war. Interesting and very exciting.
Ali
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say, I enjoy this series. Myste is a favourite character in this volume. I rather like the foreshadowing and the plot elements. The pacing is standard for this series but doesn't disappoint.
Kaye
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I do enjoy the world of Valdemar! Though this book started a little slowly for me, it ended with all the excitement one could wish.
Mo D
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful telling of HOW the Weaponsmaster in Arrow's trilogy & "To Take a Thief" came to be respected by the Queen & those she trusts, as well as what happened with Elspeth's father. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Masterharper of Pern (Pern, #15)
  • A Dying Light in Corduba (Marcus Didius Falco, #8)
  • Saturnalia (Marcus Didius Falco, #18)
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • The Demon's Den and Other Tales of Valdemar
  • Long Hot Summoning (Keeper Chronicles #3)
  • Marbeck and the King-in-Waiting (Martin Marbeck #2)
  • Sword-Born (Tiger and Del, #5)
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • Killer Crabs
  • Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2)
  • Wizard's Daughter (Brides, #10)
  • Powers That Be (Petaybee, #1)
  • Murder at Crossways (Gilded Newport Mysteries #7)
  • The Dolphins of Pern (Pern, #13)
  • Caveat Emptor (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #4)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts & M ...more

Alberich's Tale (2 books)
  • Exile's Honor (Alberich's Tale, #1)