Start by marking “Overcoming Addictions: The Spiritual Solution” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Addictions: The Spiritual Solution

Overcoming Addictions: The Spiritual Solution

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Praise for Deepak Chopra, M.D.:

"A new medicine is in the making, one in which mind, consciousness, meaning, and intelligence play key roles. One of the architects of the new medicine is Dr. Chopra, a credentialed, respected physician who has 'paid his dues' as a modern doctor."
Larry Dossey, M.D., author of Healing Words

"Deepak Chopra is being hailed as a modern-day Hippocr
Published March 24th 1998 by Harmony (first published April 1st 1997)

Colleen
Sep 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Addicts of anything-- drugs, TV, work, etc.
Typically, addicts are ashamed. Society, acquaintances, friends, and family criticize their behavior. They should be ashamed, one might say. Really, though, we all do unhealthy things to our bodies. To do so is to be human, except for those lucky yogis who can exceed human limitations.

Chopra’s perspective is refreshing. He argues that addicts are simply searching for joy in all the wrong places. They began their addiction because they were looking for bliss. Moreover, those who have rarely or n
Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm not ashamed to admit it. I have an addictive personality. It's been shopping, booze, TV, CandyCrush, food, and social media. This book is great! It's short. It's to the point. It's all about mindfulness. You're spirit. Your memories. I loved it. Basically, it's finding an old happy place, diet, meditation, exercise, mindfulness, joy and laughter, being by yourself, being quiet, and observing and enjoying what surrounds you.
Heather
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
pretty good book. it's for people who already know that true joy is a possibility. I find it highly unlikely that people will just blindly believe what chopra says about joy vs. addiction without some prior knowledge that life without addiction is infinitely more pleasurable. however, for those of you who have experienced true joy, this book reconfirms that it is better than any addiction. much better. what chopra has to offer those in the know is invaluable and can be used as a guide and handy ...more
ayanami
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
The only really insightful thing I got from this thin little book on addiction is the idea that people who become addicted to things are really seeking a higher spiritual experience, but are looking for it in the wrong places. I really like this idea and it does ring true to me, based on my own and others' experiences. I do think there is an aspect to addiction that is about trying to reach something greater than your current reality. If people who are susceptible to addiction are actually just ...more
Debbie
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
People who are addicted are sapiring to get to a deeper level of life. We seek addiction because we need esctasy in our lives and cannot find it another way. This reminds me of the blood type book I read years ago that has people in categories of what when and why they crave. That was not a part of the book I liked.
Joseph Young
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Quite interesting perspective on specific methods to cure addiction in specific cases, centering on a 3 mind-body type approach.
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm sure this will be a book I will go back to again. It makes sense to look at a problem usually considered a "disease" from a spiritual perspective.
Ashish
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Nice
Ken Ring
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful little book for anyone suffering from addiction of any kind.
Shana Simmons
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Let me say I love Deepak and this book had some helpful insights. However overall I felt like it had too much of a little of everything. It seemed to jump all over the place and lack focus for me.
Dana Al Khatib
I read this book in hope to have it help me quit smoking but it gives such a SMALL section to cigarette addiction compared to other addictions and that disappointed me.
I still smoke.
Melissa
May 30, 2015
Cassandra Willoughby
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It really changed my life
Gabriela
Jan 20, 2015
Adrian
rated it did not like it
Feb 05, 2017
Aug 20, 2015
Bige
Sep 02, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both