Start by marking “Altar Ego” as Want to Read:
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

3.23  ·  Rating details ·  369 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Published April 1999 by Picador (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Altar Ego, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Altar Ego

Lyn Richards
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I enjoyed this as a great escapist chick lit read. Becky Steele proves to us that its possible to make one bloody disastrous life after another and leave a trail of destruction of friends and family in your wake but then still turn out to have some simply irresistible and redeeming character features. There were times when I didn't think Becky could possibly make her life get any worse......and then she proves me wrong.....a great read to make your life and all its flaws seem simply enjoyable.

A
Kambin Pillay
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of Kathy Lette, Fiona Walker, and their ilk
Recommended to Kambin by: I found it in the cupboard under the sink
Not as poignant as Till Divorce Do Us Part, but punny nevertheless. My favourite line was where Zach informs Becky's shocked upper crust mates that "F*** is such a c*** of a word" - juvenile? Yes. Rip roaringly funny in the mind's eye? Unequivably so. Great to read when you need some mindless mush after a hard week.
Monica Deica metaxas
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has the highest rating I can give only because I really did laugh out loud reading it and did read it in one go without letting it down and felt sorry when I reached the last page.
Alice Dove
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it

A bit of a light read, i enjoyed it very much!
Penny
Aug 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am a very patient person. I can tolerate a weak storyline, provided there are good (or at least sexy) characters to make up for it. I can tolerate an excess of description, or an excess of characters, or even a book with too much going on at once. But, what I have recently discovered that I cannot tolerate is when the main character, (as in… you know… the protagonist… who you’re supposed to give a crap about) is so absolutely flawed, has no redeeming features worth noting, and does NOT redeem ...more
Karschtl
Nachdem ich von derselben Autorin bereits ein anderes Buch (Sushi-Schwestern) gelesen hab und für ziemlich schlecht befunden hatte, bin ich an dieses mit einigen Vorurteilen rangegangen. Und war dann doch überrascht, dass es zumindest lesbar war.

Die Story (junge Frau bekommt kurz vor ihrer Hochzeit Muffensausen und hat das Gefühl, noch nicht genug erlebt zu haben - weshalb sie sich flugs in eine heiße Affäre stürzt und sich dann nicht zwischen Mann und Lover entscheiden kann) ist nicht schlecht
Franny Adams
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
I read this train wreck while I was sick.
Basically Becky Steele is about to marry Julian who she has been living with for x amount of years. Her mother is a busy body who likes to think she is better then everyone. Becky's friends are all morons. I got confused near the end so did Vivian date Julian or was it Anoushka engaged to Julian. Anoushka's It girl was obnoxious and the whole pregnancy/miscarriage who is the father tripe is yeah whatever Zac was okay but I have read better books from the
Emma
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
'Query. Would it be a serious breach of etiquette to run out on my own wedding?' This is the question Becky Steele asks herslef as she clings to the window ledge of her parents' bathroom, grimly regarding the ten-foot drop into the dustbins below. She stares in disbelief at the meringue dress for which she has drunk only skimmed water for four weeks to fit into. Why can't Becky commit to Julian, human rights lawyer, and her Knight in Shining Armani? Yes, Julian's the right man. But has she had e ...more
Gemma Nugent
Nov 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Dreadful. I'm not sure if this novel has dated or was just awful to begin with. I'm giving it one star because it does contain some entertaining observations about political correctness in the late 90s and amusing dialogue. However, I can't believe Kathy Lette wrote this, in interviews she appears quite clever and she is, after all, married to Geoffrey Robertson QC. I hope he wasn't the inspiration for Julian. I feel embarrassed for Lette either way! A bit disappointing, I loved Puberty Blues an ...more
Nina
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
'A "hostage" is the term for a woman who invites guests into her own house. Is there anything worse?' p. 289

'Nostalgia is that weird emotion which makes things seem a million times more wonderful now than they did when they were actually taking place. What makes the 'good old days' is a really bad memory' p.244
Michelle
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I picked this up from the library on a whim. I needed something light to fill the time and get me back into a reading routine. This book was exactly that. It was funny and a bit confusing in the "what is she thinking?! why would she do that?" kind of way with more than enough secondhand embarrassment. Overall I found this book to be quite enjoyable.
Dani
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
I've read this before but had forgotten. I won't bother again - I'm donating it to my workplace holiday reading swap.
It would be a good holiday read. It's light, occasionally funny but drags on with the same theme for a bit too long and is a little bit obvious in places. You could take it away and then just leave it at the hostel for the next bored backpacker to pick up.
Sallyann Van leeuwen
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Characters were fairly horrible and I didn't believe for a second that Julian, having been left at the altar, would remain in a relationship with Becky who wants to sow her wild oats with others. All they did was argue. The best bit about the book is the dialogue, there's a few funny lines in there that made me see the story through.
Sharon
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
As you would expect from Lette this is a funny, quite rude and risqué read. It's throw-away chick-lit but Lette really does have a wicked way with puns. She's not one of my favourites but if you want a sure-fire laugh, a bit of attitude and pretty ridiculous storylines then escape for an hour or two with Altar Ego.
Chanpreet
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Umm, this book started out great and then just kind of ended up in a mess. I felt as if I was watching/reading a train wreck. There were some really funny parts and then some eye brow raising ones. The story is interesting though. This book could have been classified a comedic bonkbuster.
Kendra
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Silly fun! Kathy Lette is a master of witty conversation & rewording over-used metaphors to hilarious effect.
Teresa
Oct 26, 2008 rated it liked it
The best thing about this book is how clever with words she is. She's very punny!
Briony
Jun 21, 2012 added it
Brilliant, seriously funny and naughty
Tammy
Jul 31, 2010 added it
no longer own
Sharon
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
good book, but lord I was no fan of rebbeca. was glad when she got her come uppance. enjoyable read nevertheless
Andrea
Sep 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it okay to have an affair with your own husband?
Philisiwe
Its not my kind of taste, it goes no where and quite boring.
Christy Horton
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Terrible and contrived. Hard to like the main character and the writing is predictable.
Amanda
  • Three
  • As Long As She Needs Me
  • Bad Girls Good Women
  • Isn't it Romantic?
  • Girl, 16: Five Star Fiasco (Jess Jordan, #4)
  • The Accidental Diva
  • The Alchemy of Loss: A Young Widow's Transformation
  • The Queen of Harlem: A Novel
  • Poe & Fanny
  • Up in the Air
Kathy Lette divides her time between being a full time writer,
demented mother (now there's a tautology) and trying to find a shopping trolley that doesn't have a clubbed wheel.

Kathy first achieved succés de scandale as a teenager with the novel Puberty Blues, now a major motion picture.

After several years as a singer with the Salami Sisters and a newspaper columnist in Sydney and New York (collec
More about Kathy Lette...