Start by marking “Test-Driven iOS Development” as Want to Read:
Test-Driven iOS Development

Test-Driven iOS Development

Published April 9th 2012 by Addison-Wesley Professional

To ask other readers questions about Test-Driven iOS Development, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Test-Driven iOS Development

Start your review of Test-Driven iOS Development
Romans Karpelcevs
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tech, non-fiction
Staring out as a great book, it quickly deteriorated into a mess of mocks and contradictions.

I'll be frank with my expectations: I don't see a point in general example TDD and testing books when there are great books by Uncle Bob and Kent Beck and other grands. What makes sense and adds value is how to get around platform difficulties or common problems of a particular domain. And this book starts as a good general example for the easy things (data types, entities, parsing) and becomes clumsy a
Ettore Pasquini
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
Pretty good introduction to TDD on iOS. Throughout the book an entire app (a basic StackOverflow browser) is built from scratch using TDD, covering all its functional requirements. This included model and controller code. A long time is spent discussing UITableView and its data sources and delegates, which makes sense since they are such an important piece of UIKit. The author stops at the view level, so things like testing the positioning of UI elements in relation to others is not discussed.

I
Mohannad Hassan

Having already tried TDD and gone through few months applying it gradually to an existent app, I started reading this book with the attempt of finding the best material on TDD first, and a chance to validate some ideas that I had in the process. This book has served these two goals to a good extent.

First of all, it's a good step-by-step guide. It demonstrates building a relatively small app from the grounds up with TDD in mind. The app is simple and looks like the average app one usually encount

pluton
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: iOS developers
Shelves: sjpl
It's a pretty interesting and, I believe, actually one of the kind – TDD on iOS – book. It explains and show how you can build different app layers using TDD. The book is quite old already, but you still can build the sample application adapting and fixing things on the fly. Sometimes, it uses weird ways (as for me) to test functionality; and the sample code uses manually built mocks, which is tiresome, instead of using a mocking framework, but it makes you understand how they actually work. A c ...more
Sascha
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
A lot of the book is one example. This could help if you're completely new to unit testing but familiar with iOS development.
The chapters after the example are actually about interesting topics like testable architecture or adding tests to an existing codebase, but they are not deep enough anymore.
So I recommend reading more specialized books. These are usually for a different programming language, but the knowledge is easy to port.
Some are also referenced in the book, like Working Effectivel
Malcolm Bastien
May 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Everything started out great with this book, but then at one point it shifted gears and started doing tests on mock objects and I was completely lost for the rest of it.

It was super frustrating to read a book on test-driven development then all of a sudden be stuck and confused.
Brian
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ambitious book, but way too "do-it yourself" to be practical. The majority of the book seems to be devoted to building mocks or stubbing methods--solved problems if you use Kiwi or OCMock. I wanted to enjoy it, but it just wasn't for me I guess.
Greg
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Felt to me more like a worked example of TDD for iOS than an explanation of how to add unit testing to your repertoire. It works well as supplementary material if you're familiar with unit testing and are starting out in iOS development. Not recommended as a first "how to unit test" book.
Sebastian
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
... not done reading, but i'm already enthused by this book.

+ excellent writing
+ well structured
+ good explanations
+ unique subject and scope
+ quite up to date
Bjoern Rochel
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Their approach to unit testing feels terribly outdated. Stopped reading it b/c of that.
Диляна Тодорова
Apr 23, 2014
Mostafa Amer
Jan 18, 2013
Laurent
rated it did not like it
May 06, 2013
Sam Taylor
Aug 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »