Start by marking “Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day” as Want to Read:
Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day

Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day

We all need to "Chop Wood and Carry Water”. In Thich Nhat Hanh’s latest teachings on how to use applied Buddhism in daily life, he looks at how we deal with workplace scenarios, handle home and family responsibilities, and endure traffic jams and other challenges of modern life. By carefully examining our everyday choices he encourages us to become a lotus in a muddy world ...more
Published December 11th 2012 by Parallax Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Work

Neja
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritulity
Thich Nhat Hanh is a wonderful teacher, I learned so much from him by reading two of his books. I am exploring buddhism and I really love his books because they are practical for this modern age, for this generation. Not a lot of us live somewhere where money, hate, rage, jealousy, competition, anger wouldn't appear, we don't live in the woods…surrounded by nature, we face a lot of challenges. And he so beautifully teaches us how to use Buda's philosophy at work in this book.
Becky
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think I may read this again after a time. It challenged me and I needed to be challenged. I see I have very little faith that things can be different and I will have to begin to believe that I can be transformed.

I love the imagery in this book. The tree blowing in a storm, with the billowing leaves and sturdy trunk - a reminder to stay with the trunk, the core body, the breath, when strong emotions arise, and to stay out of the canopy of thinking during that time. The boat that holds the pebbl
Neeraj Adhikari
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zen
This book teaches you how to practice mindful work, how to apply zen to your workday from the moment you wake up to the end of the day. It guides you in applying these principles to your workplace so that you can work well and be at peace with yourself, your co-workers and the world.

I am a great believer in the efficacy of Zen principles - especially mindfulness - in increasing your overall well-being and happiness. That said, I really lack practice and I'm rarely, if ever, mindful. This book ch
Karen
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this like a starving person. I'm eager to try out the concrete suggestions on Monday.
Sara Freels
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: no-mud-no-lotus
For anyone experiencing any sort of deep emotion, this book is a great healing escape. I’ve been meditating the past three months, which Mr. Hanh has helped me start, (along with of course Dan Harris, Sharon Salzburg, Joseph Goldstein and Russel Simmons) to remember, how to remember, to be mindful and the ability to physically and mentally......START AGAIN.
Reid
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a fine little book on the nature of mindfulness and its applicability to the working world. Though there is no central thesis to speak of, at the same time, the overarching philosophy underlying everything here is that, were we to choose compassion and wisdom over greed and narrow thinking, the world would be a much, much better place. Hard to argue with that.

There are some wonderful jewels here, some ways of being in the world of work with love and understanding. I intend to take these
Tony Bogar
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book does an excellent job of helping you see the big picture and small details and understand how they are interconnected. Simple, engaging, and practical.

I learned that I am already practicing mindfulness - well, I am on my way. I have yet, however, to find my Right Livelihood. It's a journey for me.
Marina
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everythink he said was simple and true. Anyone could find use of his advice, because they are that general, but with specific exercises how to achieve this serenity he talks about. I loved the idea of "monotasking" he presents, in my working world where multitasking is still an advantage.
Donniesands
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
If this were my first read from Thich Nhat Hanh I would give it 4 stars. Very good but some rehashing of ideas from his other great books.
Colleen McClowry
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Like all Thich Nhat Hanh's writings, a pleasant read-before-bed book.
Gabija
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some parts of this book almost make one want to say "yeah, and now let's all hold hands and sing about rainbows in our teddy-bear land office!", but you DON'T have to do everything that's suggested (I even think all of it is possible for certain people in certain workplaces). I noticed that when I held back my skepticism and tried it, I massively benefited from the practices presented in this book. They took some costumisation to feel natural, but that's how it should be I suppose. Also, the hug ...more
Girish Pednekar
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gem from Thay!
Very practical simple book to follow. The ideas mentioned can be practiced by anyone with just little bit of mindfulness. Really useful stress busting tips. And Thay's compassion always overflows from his words. Must read for every working professional to bring awareness and perform better in work.
Paige
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
This is basically a re-presentation of the same material found in the author’s other books, situated in a new context. Not necessarily a criticism - learning about practical Zen from a venerable practitioner is very rewarding.
Do yourself a favor and watch a Dharma talk by the author before picking up the book. It’s very helpful to read the book in his voice.
John
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, my-ebooks
I borrowed this from the library, but went and bought the Kindle copy because I know I will want to go back to parts of this again multiple times. This is full of wonderful advice and ways of dealing with the everyday existence. If you're looking for ways to make life at work a happier experience, this book can definitely help.
Bakertyl
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: level-up, non-fiction
Repetitive, but I can see it being repetitive to write an entire book about a simple (not easy) concept.
Real-world examples of mindfulness in a job and daily life, this is useful for anyone feeling overwhelmed. The last chapter is even a bullet point summary of the entire book, so you can easily reread sections when you feel stressed.
Quinn Selby
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Very fundamental yet specific. Hanh has authored better books that outshines this one in particular. I adore and respect the man to be able to live the Zen Buddhist lifestyle and still, parodoxically, produce his out-reaching pieces of literature, which he does, I imagine, for his own creative satisfaction.

It's tough to do what he does, but not all koans hit their mark.
eliomax polanco
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short impactful book. Practicing Mindfulness throughout the day will bring more meaning to Everyday Activities.
Anna Brand
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another winner by Thich Nhat Hanh. Teaches Eastern approaches to work-life balance, applying mindfulness, so we can stop rushing towards the future whatever.
Nilesh Kulkarni
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book is like meditating. Your become calmer with every page you turn. Begin to focus on your breath. And feel silence deep within. Buy it. And read it everyday.
Hialeah
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best way of increasing happiness at the workplace is by seizing the means of production. The second best way is reading this book.
penneminreads
A great introduction to mindfulness and how to practise it at work (and at home). Lots of helpful tips and how-tos, written in a clear and simple language.
Eduardo
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Everyone has a different way of seeing. We shouldn't try to make people think the same way we do or do things in the same way as we would."
Casey
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ahhhhhh......
Jackie
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read, chock full of tangible examples of how to find mindful moments throughout your day and to help contribute to a healthy environment (both at home and at work). A fantastic tool kit of sorts!
David
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
A pretty good, and short book but touched on a lot of things. Unlike many other Buddhist books, this one wasn't quite as preachy and over-explainative in what it was going over. For that, I really appreciate the book.

The most useful parts of the book, for me where:
1) The mindfulness training exercises. I think these are good things for everyone to keep in mind through life, and this book goes over some of them.
2) The '30 ways to reduce stress at work'

There were also a few passages that I found m
Paul Baldowski
I find a lot of this makes perfect sense and I appreciate the chance to read the ideas presented here. I'm all for the concept of living in the now and taking more time appreciating the present. Mindfulness instils an entirely appropriate appreciation that worrying about anything beyond Now is pretty pointless as it lies outside your control and, honestly, Now has enough going on to keep you occupied. Many of us swim through our lives taking very little of Now on board and then complaining that ...more
Kalem Wright
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Work is Thich Nhat Hanh’s effort to bring mindful teach Buddhist practice applicable to this vitally important area of one’s life. Buddhism and its tenets can seem esoteric and unapproachable but Work includes many practical applications for readers to try for themselves.

After a quick introduction to the concept of mindfulness, Hanh leads us through cognitive reframes to help us reinterpret mundane tasks as opportunities to practice. He also offers mantras to repeat to cultivate awareness and g
Sleepy
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A joy to read

I'm not going to lie, this book took me ages to finally finish. However, this was only because I didn't give myself the time to simply sit and enjoy the literature, but after making sure to read it in lines and lunches, it has definitely helped me to improve on remaining calm during stressful situations. Even over the last two days, despite feeling anger and sadness in different intervals, I was able to keep my composure and continue to practice mindfulness during these moments so m
Kenneth Starcher
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thich Nhat Hanh, former Buddhist monk, is a highly influential and inspirational teacher, when it comes to mindful living. Work is a brisk little book that teaches the reader how to keep a calm, cool head during a typical day of work, from the time one wakes up to the time he goes to bed. It's surely helped me a lot, and it's opened my eyes and my mind to a way of life and living I'd only dreamed of before. My only real problem with this book is its abundance of grammatical errors. I think Thich ...more
Brendan
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
If you are already familiar with basics of 'mindfulness meditation' then this book can be summarized as TNH reminding you to try and be 'mindful' at various points throughout the work day. Somewhat flowery at times, but not a bad read for the practical aspects of considering different opportunities to step back and slow down when overly busy at work.
Goodreads Librari...: Cover to add please 2 11 Dec 20, 2014 11:37AM

• Stepping Out of Self-Deception: The Buddha's Liberating Teaching of No-Self
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • Buddha's Book of Stress Reduction: Finding Serenity and Peace with Mindfulness Meditation
  • Contemplative Science: Where Buddhism and Neuroscience Converge
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • Awakened Empath: The Ultimate Guide to Emotional, Psychological and Spiritual Healing
  • The Buddhist Path to Simplicity: Spiritual Practice in Everyday Life
  • What Would Buddha Do?: 101 Answers to Life's Daily Dilemmas
  • Happiness the Mindful Way
  • Can I Have and Do it All, Please?
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away: Teachings on Impermanence and the End of Suffering
  • Secular Buddhism: Imagining the Dharma in an Uncertain World
  • Saddam's Secrets
  • Mindful Aging: Embracing Your Life After 50 to Find Fulfillment, Purpose, and Joy
  • The Buddha In Daily Life: An Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin
“Perhaps one of the reasons we don't enjoy all these activities as much as we could is because we think activities need to be exciting for us to enjoy them. Many people confuse joy and happiness with excitement. But excitement is not the same as happiness. With joy and happiness we have a sense of satisfaction. There's a feeling of satisfaction in being in the here and now, when you recognize you have so many conditions for happiness in the present moment, whether you're sitting, walking, standing, or working.” 3 likes
“If you take good care of the present, there is no need to worry about the future.” 1 likes