Start by marking “Cruce de Caminos (Layers of the Otherworld, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Cruce de Caminos (Layers of the Otherworld, #0.5)

Read eBook

Cruce de Caminos

(Layers of the Otherworld 0.5)

Addiction and desperation drive Sean O'Hara to a critical crossroads. Will he make the right decision, or will the floodwaters bound for New Orleans sweep him away?

Street kid Sean O’Hara has never had it easy, but New Orleans has driven him to his knees. His girlfriend’s broken up with him for a sugar daddy, a gun-toting pimp has robbed him of everything but the clothes on
Published May 21st 2012 by Riptide Publishing (first published May 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cruce de Caminos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cruce de Caminos

Val Kovalin
Just so you know, this smoothly written and haunting fiction isn’t a romance, but is intended to be erotic horror. Its gay content centers on a mostly straight (or perhaps bisexual) young man choosing to slide into prostitution at a dark period in his life, which exposes him to sex with men.

(The blurb warns of dubious consent and a non-explicit rape. Make that very non-explicit, and the dub-con is almost surrealistic. It wasn’t a problem for me, and I tend to deeply dislike dub-con / non-con th
DarienMoya
4.5

There is nothing pretty, romantic, or happily ever after about this story. There is no falling in love and being rescued from the harsh life of hustling on the streets. What the story is, is moving, haunting, and hits you in the face with a nice amount of realism that you can’t walk away unaffected.

We are introduced to Sean, he’s young and an addict, and is completely devoted to his girlfriend. An altercation leads him to lose all his possessions and he faces a very clear truth. He’s gonna ha
Cheryl
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap. I can't believe I almost didn't read this because I had been so disappointed in the rest of the Riptide Rentboys collection. This isn't a romance. No sugar-coated angst in this one. The story is gritty and real, with drug addiction and prostitution and co-dependant relationships with unstable girlfriends. Nothing is glossed over. Prostitution isn't sexy, the drug addiction is debilitating and spiraling out of control, the characters are in denial even when grounded firmly in the reali ...more
Adara
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating slightly paranormal story of examining the choices in your life and determining what path is best for you. Using the mysterious setting and legacy of New Orleans, Sean is faced with a choice: where will his life go from here? This short gives us just enough introduction to his life to understand the choice he faces when the time finally arrives. This is a chilling story with just enough reality to make the reader comprehend without going overboard on horror or violence. But ...more
Ilhem
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, prn
3,5 stars

I have a hard time rating this book because I honestly have no idea if I liked it or not. I’m not saying I don’t know if it was good because it was. A little too cryptic or rushed at times maybe, but good.

Sean’s life is sordid and pathetic. The only relationship he’s got is a mirage, he and his girlfriend Cristina are no more than each others’ ball and chain and yet, her name is a painful leitmotiv, a fragile and illusory anchor.
A drug addict’s journey on the streets follows a foreseea
Jody
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an intriguing and thought provoking story that has a dream-like quality to it. You're never quite sure what's real and what's imagined but you can't stop reading and I found myself completely enthralled in no time at all. The characters of Sean and Christina are two drug addicts with lives spiraling out of control when fate intervenes in the form of Angel to set things on the right path again. But who or what Angel is is the bigger question along with if they'll heed his advice.

Seeing th
Elizabetta
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
With Cruce de Caminos or Crossroads we get another tight, well written effort from this fearless writing duo. Bealleau and Vane once again, push us beyond the ordinary in this genre. I don't know that I would call this a horror story but it is dark and gritty, dealing with drug addiction and prostitution. Not a romance but definitely erotica.

Sean and his girlfriend Cristina are junkies living by any means to get their next fix. They skirt the edge until the appearance of Angel. Angel shows Sean
April L'Orange
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I recently made time to read Cruce de Caminos, by Heidi Belleau and Violetta Vane. This writing duo is fast becoming a favorite amongst new authors I read. Not only do they write well, they have a new and interesting take on any story they tell, and Cruce de Caminos is no exception.

For those who don't speak Spanish, "cruce de caminos" translates as "crossroads," and the central character, Sean O'Hara, is definitely at a crossroads in his life. He's a teenager living on the streets who no longer
Don Bradshaw
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on Hearts On Fire... http://heartsonfirereviews.com/

Sean O'Hara is a young man on the brink. He and his girlfriend, Cristina, have been living on the streets going from one high to the next. Cristina has been Sean's reason to keep moving but now she has taken up with some sugardaddy and Sean is in the French Quarter of New Orleans alone. Sean is down to the clothes on his back and decides to start turning tricks for drug money. He meets Angel, a high priced "escort", who may just help
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Sean O'Hara has touched the bottom. He is in a relationship with a prostitute with whom he is arguing when this story starts. She has found someone rich and wants to leave him. Sean is pretty immature, so are his arguments. 'I want to be the one who takes care of you just because' seems to be the most precise. And taking care of them both includes having enough drugs for both.

He doesn't have any money, he used all his drugs, he gets robbed by a pimp and it seems it cannot get any worse. Then he
Joy
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Crossroads--we all reach them at some point. This is a beautifully written short story--very haunting
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This mysterious little story sucked me right in. Sean's life is a mess and getting worse by the hour. He consistently makes bad choices in order to support his and his girlfriend's drug habits. He meets Angel, who shows him how he can make more money with gay for pay tricks, as opposed to dirty back alley hookups. Angel always seems to show up when Sean needs him most, trying to lead him down a different path.

This is a quick, engaging read that still left me guessing at the end. Is Angel good o
Aija
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is not a romance. This is something even better.

I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I started this, but it held me spellbound from start to finish. The writing was top-notch and the story itself... more than a bit creepy. And I absolutely loved it!
I would recommend listening to Niyaz while reading this - for me it was a match made in heaven, especially "Dunya" and "Iman" - they made the one so-called sex scene so surreal I couldn't even blink while reading it. Just so perfect
Violetta Vane
Apr 05, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Author note: "Cruce de Caminos" is erotic horror, not romance, and contains an HFN only by the furthest stretch of the imagination. However, it's also a prequel to The Druid Stone, coming from Carina in August, which is very much a romance.
G.B. Gordon
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
That was a weird one, creepy as in 'uncomfortable' in places, hopeful in others, always well-written, always palpable, always stringing me along. I'm not sure to what end, I'm not even perfectly sure I enjoyed it, but I'm definitely not sorry I took that ride.
Monique
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Review to come....
Kassandra
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-or-gay-lit
Read in one sitting with bated breath. Very well written short story. Hope to see more of this world.
Dee Wy
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Whoa! This story was like watching a train wreck, which is what Sean's life was. Caught in drug addiction and now into prostitution, destiny seems to place Angel in his way. It is never really clear just who or what Angel is; the main reason I've tagged this story as fantasy.

Angel tells Sean that his current path will lead to his destruction. Continuing the train wreck theme, I couldn't look away as Sean seemed unwilling or simply unable to change his path. But Angel is there to intervene at cri
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
An interesting introduction to Sean O'Hara. I wasn't sure what to expect but this had a sort of ethereal type of feel to it. With Angel introduced it def. had a paranormal flavor. Sean's choices are dramatic and, though the book is not big enough for you to fully commiserate with him, you certainly get a feel for his life and where he's at. You see him sinking lower and hope he makes choices that are good ones. It really made me want to read The Druid Stone so that is on my "read me now" list!
Sadonna
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, pdf, rentboys
Very eerie and atmospheric story of Sean who is spiraling out of control in pre-Katrina New Orleans. Drug addicted, robbed and left with nothing, he meets up with the mysterious Angel who tries to help Sean and get him to realize his current path will lead to destruction. His cryptic advice and his uncanny ability to keep showing up freak Sean out a bit but he doesn't completely ignore his words.

Sean's life is a total wreck and he really has nowhere to go but up. Kind of fascinating in the way
Macky
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
*3.80 stars

A really intriguing and dark tale with paranormal undertones. Not the sort of story to read if you're looking for a HEA and a fluffy romance, far from it but it does end with a message of possibilble hope. Interesting to say the least, the only reason it didn't get the full 4 stars for me was the end seemed to be a bit rushed and it is quite short but other than that it was a change to read such a different take on the usual hustler story. The star of the show was definitely the myste
Laylah Hunter
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh yes. Just how I like my rent boy fic, gritty and nasty and with the seductive promise of this is going to make your shitty life easier if you can just make yourself say yes. Plus there's a lovely little touch of the supernatural, and the reveal about that near the end delighted me.

Immediately went to pick up Sean's further adventures, which promise to be very different in tone and scope but at least as fascinating.
Amanda
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Between the setting, the characters, and the story itself, this was a blend of creepy and gritty that sucked me in right away. Sean feels real - and realistically flawed - in a way that so many m/m romance characters don't, and now I'm more excited for The Druid Stone than ever.
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
3 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Sean is basically living on the streets with his girlfriend and any money they get usually goes towards drugs, food and a bed for the night… in that order. But, then his girl goes off with a sugar daddy and Sean ends up turning tricks for some cash when he loses his belongings. Just when he is beginning to get desperate, Ángel turns up and makes him an offer.

I found this one to be a bit smoky/misty around the
Victoria Zagar
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sean O'Hara is a drug addict down to his last fix. Realizing he can make some money through prostitution, he starts turning tricks. A bad decision leads him to Angel, who tells him he can make a lot more money servicing high-class customers. The two take a job together, but does Angel truly have his back, or is the truth something far more sinister?

Depressing, gritty, dark and definitely not a romance in any way, Cruce de Caminos (Crossroads) is definitely a departure from the usual fluff on my
Susan65
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
What did I just read? As the pages were quickly winding down I was fast realizing that this was not a romance. There was no love affair and no happily ever after for our boy Sean. Once the last page was turned and the story was quite obviously over, I was thrilled to see that Sean’s story actually continues in the novel, The Druid Stone. This, my friends, is just the beginning.

So basically what we have here is a very strange, very short, other-world kind of paranormal prequel into Sean O’Hara’s
May 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, paranormal, rent-boys
Deb
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wavering between gritty reality and surrealistic nightmare, this compelling short left a lasting impression. The protagonist, an underage, drug-addict living on the streets is driven to hustling. He is unwittingly drawn into a fantastical experience that alters the course of his life. The events themselves are left ambitious enough that the reader is never entirely certain whether they are reading about the supernatural or merely viewing events though a drug-induced haze.

There is a brief graphic
Otila
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I had a hard time deciding on a rating for this novella. It's very well written and it's an interesting story but I can't really say I enjoyed it. I didn't not like it though and I find myself still thinking about it. The writing and the story get 4 stars. My lack of enjoyment and some of my complaints take it down to 3.

Sean is a young man living on the streets of New Orleans. He turns to prostitution in order to support his growing drug habit. The authors take us on Sean's journey as he falls
Trix
Well, this was a bit fucked-up. Very creepy and nicely done!

(view spoiler)
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Cruce de Caminos half off at Riptide! 1 3 Oct 06, 2012 05:46PM
Read Cruce de Caminos? Want to win The Druid Stone? 1 3 Jun 28, 2012 11:27AM
Heidi Belleau was born and raised in small town New Brunswick, graduated with a degree in history from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, and now lives outside of Edmonton, Alberta, with her tradesman husband and two kids. A proud bisexual woman, her writing reflects everything she loves: diverse casts of queer characters, a sense of history and place, equal parts witty and filthy dialog ...more

Layers of the Otherworld (1 books)
  • The Druid Stone (Layers of the Otherworld, #1)