Start by marking “The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #1)

The Persistence of Memory

(Star Trek: The Next Generation)

A BRAZEN HEIST Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise crew race to find out who has stolen Data’s android brother B-4—and for what sinister purpose.

A BROKEN PROMISE One desperate father risks all for the son he abandoned forty years ago—but is he ready to pay the price for redemption?

A DARING MISSION Against overwhelming odds, and with time running out, Commander Worf
Published October 30th 2012 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Persistence of Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Persistence of Memory

Alejandro
This is the epic tale about the return of one of the dearest characters in Star Trek universe... Data.

I don't consider that a spoiler since it's like saying that people wouldn't know that Spock returns in Searh for Spock or Kirk on The Return. These kind of returns is something just too big, too great, as people wouldn't know.

Even, the very decision of reading this trilogy is very likely to be based on the knowledge that Data returns.

Honestly, since it was a trilogy, I expected the formal retur
Jerry
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an exciting start! Can't wait to see where the story goes!
Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story! Very excited to see where the series goes.
Victor
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mother fucking fuck you again, David Mack. I needed a book to read while travelling and this was all I had on my phone that I hadn't read and I didn't want to spend a ton of time trying to figure out what to read. So I just set aside my latent ire for Mack and jumped in.

And I almost liked it at first! The Ent-E gets up to some shenanigans after some of Data's (recently deceased, in Nemesis, which I still have yet to have the courage to watch) android relatives are stolen from a research base. S
Scott Williams
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
David Mack does it again! This novel is an excellent piece of Star Trek writing. Mack tells a story that anyone who read IDW’s Countdown to the 2009 movie knew was coming but he does it in an unexpected and very entertaining way.

Data has always been my favourite TNG character and I really enjoy this novel’s explorations of Data’s origins and his family. Mack ties in some great storylines from the original series and TNG TV series while also continuing some stories from previous novels. I can’t w
C.T. Phipps
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Does an android have a soul?

This question was asked on February 13, 1989 when "The Measure of a Man" premiered on Fox, Channel 11 as watched my yours truly at the tender age of nine. The question is an easy enough one to answer when the robots are indistinguishable from humans, less so when they're more machine-like. If there is a God and he is good, I wouldn't imagine him to deny such a thing to intelligent machines just because they were made by his children than him. However, Star Trek is i
Jerome E
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again another amazing David Mack story.

Wow. Everytime I read one of these books by David Mack I'm left eagerly ready to read the next book. So I begin.
Joseph Masiello
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There be spoilers ahead!

First: As a Star Trek novel this book excels whole heartedly. Reading this story was like watching an episode of The Next Generation play out in explicit detail in my mind. This is why I love reading. Fans of the series that do not read the novels have no idea what they are missing out on.

Second: David Mack is an excellent author. I did not encounter a single chapter that felt like it ran on or did not hold my attention. I also enjoyed the fact that some of the chapters w
Charlene
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, star-trek
This book managed to capture the world of Star Trek along with strong science fiction writing. The story feels like a proper Star Trek adventure but it's not just about the characters because this book delivers a lot of detail when it comes to the technical aspects and the realities of the future. I think that's the author's strength - how he manages to bring so much detail to make this book such a strong Star Trek novel. I was so impressed by how immersive this was.

This book delves into the bac
Alex Templeton
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
It has been literally a decade since I read a Star Trek novel, and apparently a lot has changed in the non-canon TNG universe. SPOILERS! The Borg have disappeared (hmmm), Picard and Crusher are married (ok), they have a child (WHAT?!), and Worf has a new lady love (how does one move on from Jadzia Dax? Dude!). This book is a sequel, of sorts, to the last one I read, "Immortal Coil", which was really Data-centric (Data being my all-time favorite character). I picked this one up because it is a se ...more
Matt Randall
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
David Monroe
Persistence of Memory is the first of a new trilogy by David Mack. It takes place 4 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis. No, that's not Data on the cover, it's actually his father, Doctor Noonian Soong. We find out that like his mentor, Ira Graves, Soong had plans to subvert death. He moved his mind into his newest and most advanced android. The book is full of Soong type android appearances: Juliana O'Donnell, B-4, Lore, and Lal. If, like me, this hits your cybernetic trek sweet-spot, ...more
Kerry
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Why the hell was a third of this about noonien fucking soong???? Do i actually give a shit about that creepy narcissistic asshole? no, not really. Also, i love how the author pulled the classic 'i'm gonna kill the only woman who actually got more than two lines in the whole book because she's a main character's love interest'. Yes, because that's a plotline i haven't read/watched a THOUSAND times. I'm only giving it three stars because he brought data back.
I mean, how much more self-absorbed can
John Carter McKnight
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
This book is getting terrific reviews here and on Amazon, and I have to differ. I've tried three times to push past the halfway point, and I just can't.

Yes, it's well-written. However, it's almost entirely the first-person narration of a very minor guest character from TNG, Data's creator, Professor Soong.

Here, Soong has transferred his mind into an android body, is clinically paranoid, and stalking his ex-wife. That's the story. If for some reason this is interesting to you, go for it. If howe
Jon Davidenas
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is only the second Star Trek book that I have read and for some reason, I always really enjoy them. Perhaps it's my deep rooted passion for Star Trek, or maybe it's that I've picked good books. Either way, this book was a joy to read and had several neat things that you never could or would have seen in the show. I plan on finishing this trilogy some day.
Christopher Lutz
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Aricia Gavriel
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Many years after Jeffrey Lang's Immortal Coil was written, David Mack picked up the ideas Lang had touched on, and ran with them to produce The Persistence of Memory, and I found this one … gobsmacking. It really is something very special indeed, not merely well written but also intricately plotted and with a rather courageous twist: decentralizing the series characters to frame the story through, and around, others for much of the book's running length.

The experiment could have killed this nov
Derkanus
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stephen Smith
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Back into Star Trek again I go. I read this on my Kindle, audiobooks just not an option with most Star Trek books sadly.

Anyway, as you can see on the cover this is a book involving Data, B4 or Sooong or whomever. I happens over 4 years after the last movie Nemesis in which they killed Data and Data had dumped his memories into B4. This is the first of 3 books from one of the better Star Trek authors.

Overall I enjoyed the book pretty well. The characters are for the most part spot on to what they
Derek
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think Mack really captured Soong's character. Or at least, created a compelling version of Soong's character. The man wasted so much time. Every day he spent hiding, tinkering in labs and playing games with strangers, he promised himself that once all his plans were in place, once everything was PERFECT, then he would see his family. Oh Often Wrong, you old fool...
Xhafer Husen
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
oh boy another shoe-horned (despite literally spending the entire book to set it up it still felt this way) deus ex machina ending in a star trek book say whaaaaaaaaaaaa

at least it sets up an interesting change for a character rather than just return to the status quo, and I have two more books in the trilogy to finish up before I get judgmental about it.
Tourma
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know much about Star Trek, but this was an enjoyable read. A friend suggested it after trying to get me to watch TNG for the first time, (I suck at watching TV,) so they let me borrow the books.

I think I'm more likely to see the show now.

Onward to the next book.
Pyper
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, Fast-Paced TNG Surprise

David Mack created an enthralling adventure. The pace is perfect, and the story holds a sweet surprise. I read this in only a few hours and look forward to the next installment.
Graeme Skinner
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Paul Eaton
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like descriptive writing you will love this but I think it should have been called a tale of two Soongs.
Nice to see the outcome of all of the family
Shawn Lewis
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The book was a little exposition-heavy, but in general it's a really good story.
Rick
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Star Trek Book

The details of Sooniens life got a bit long almost boring at times but it was, over all a good book, good story line
Nicky2910
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Star Trek: TNG hasn't been on my reading list for quite some time, actually since David Mack's "Destiny"-trilogy, but when I saw the cover of this first part of his new trilogy, celebrating the 25th anniversary of TNG, I knew I had to pick it up.

Plot:
Dr Soong's androids which were stored at the Daystrom Institute on Galor IV are stolen. The Enterprise, already en route to Galor IV because B-4 was on the verg
Stephen
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shawn Fisher
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is in three parts, with the first part following the daring heist of Soong type androids, including B4 and Lal, from a high security Starfleet facility. The Enterprise arrives to investigate, and Worf's away team corners an android who is a dead ringer for Data or Lore. The inevitable 'Who are you?' question leads to part two.

Part two takes up the majority of the book. It's a recalling of events from Noonien Soong's POV. After the events depicted in the TNG episode 'Brothers', Noonien
Star Trek Reads: CE1: Persistence of Memory 7 31 Jul 26, 2013 08:55PM
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Light Fantastic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Peaceable Kingdoms (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)
  • The Eternal Tide (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek - The Next Generation: The Second Decade #4)
  • Takedown (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans on Fac

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
“You welcome your children into the world knowing that if all goes the way you plan, you won’t get to see the end of their story. It seems a sad notion until you realize that’s what gives you hope for the future.” 5 likes
“How can I be lonely when I hate people?” 1 likes