Start by marking “JLA Classified, Vol. 1: Ultramarine Corps” as Want to Read:
JLA Classified, Vol. 1: Ultramarine Corps

JLA Classified, Vol. 1: Ultramarine Corps

(JLA Classified #1)

Grant Morrison returns to the JLA with this incredible volume collecting JLA ClASSIFIED #1-3, and JLA//WILDCATS! In it, the International Ultramarine Corps, a super-team from around the globe, is attacked by the hyperintelligent, evil Gorilla Grodd and his guerilla gorilla militia. Plus, the JLA meets the WildCats to take on the threat of the Lord of Time!
Published November 7th 2007 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about JLA Classified, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JLA Classified, Vol. 1

Sam Quixote
Nov 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Grant Morrison’s Justice League run was just ok; his JLA Classified book, Ultramarine Corps? Just terrible.

There’s two stories and they’re both worthless crap. Gorilla Grodd has weaponised a superteam nobody’s heard of - Ultramarine Corps - but oh no the Justice League (minus Batman for no reason) are trapped in another dimension battling someone else; time for Bats to mobilise his robot Justice League stand-ins (?!) and take on Grodd!

To be fair to Batman the Ultramarine Corps look like a joke
mark monday
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comicon
schizophrenic. this collection of two Morrison stories really highlights both the strongest and weakest attributes of this amazing yet often vilified author.

4 stars for "JLA: Ultramarine Corps": a perfect distillation of how crazy Morrison can get. he can get pretty crazy when given free reign to do what he likes with some of DC's most beloved heroes - and I haven't always appreciated the results. but in this story he barely touches the JLA and is instead focused on their amusingly dumbed-down c
Martin
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
'You apes were led astray by a cunning manipulator. A bunch of slogans, a few bananas and you belong to anybody, it seems.'
- Superman

If you'd consider only the JLA Classified story, with the Ultramarine Corps, Knight & Squire, Batman's secret Pluto base, the Robot JLA (and more), coupled with Ed McGuinness' eye-popping art, this would be a solid 5-star book. We even get to see Batman punch Grodd in the balls! (There goes the dynasty. - Batman to Grodd) It's fun, colourful, and ties in (as
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
A lot of stuff happens in this volume and very little is explained to the reader. The first half isn't bad, but it is a bit confusing. I felt like I was being drug along for the ride, where the dragging involves a rope and the ride being the author on a horse. I was rather reluctantly following along. I found myself thinking the stories in this collection would have made a decent JLA movie.

The second story about WildC.A.T.S was distracting due to the horrid art. The story was less awful, but I
Scott S.
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Two sort-of forgettable stories - the first had an interesting premise (an up-start superhero team - I think - gets in over their heads and are brainwashed to work for the villain) but the reader is thrown into it without a lot of explanation. The second (in which the JLA meet their counterparts from another dimension - I think) was okay but I'm fairly certain I already read it in another edition.
James Bowman
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Two Grant Morrison JLA stories in this collection. The first part consists of his three issues of JLA Classified, which are... OK. The story has the feel of his main JLA run, but amped up, and the result is just a little too much. (Not a fan of man-eating Gorilla Grodd, for example.) However, it also quietly lays the groundwork for later DCU Morrison works; within that context, the story works better now than it did when it was first published, but that doesn't up the rating a lot. The second pa ...more
Kafka
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Now this...this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I love superhero comic books. The JLA take on an universe in this story. Yes, an universe. There is a telepathic gorilla who loves the taste of human flesh. A haiku mouthing cybernetic sumo wrestler who is also a mental projection (I think). Just too much fun.
Michael
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
So, seriously.... aside from teasing the League of Batmen and Seven Soldiers, did this have a point?

JLA/Wildcats was a pretty fun little team-up though.
Stephen Theaker
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
It seems to me that the pace of many mainstream comics has dropped to the extent where an 8pp Jimmy Olsen story from 1958 will often have as much going on as an entire issue of a modern comic or even a trade paperback.

An exception to that rule is the work of Grant Morrison. He writes modern day comics that have as much packed into each page as those 8pp stories did. The effect is exponential, moment piling upon moment to spin the reader up in a whirlwind: in his superhero comics that creates act
Lloyd
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So I think I've reached the end of my reading of Grant Morrison's JLA work. I think I've read everything he's penned involving the team now and this one was a great one to end on. It exemplifies the two types of JLA stories that Morrison told, both very entertaining.

The first story was actually the first three issues of the title "JLA: Classified" and I think Morrison left the book after getting it off the ground. This story brings back the Ultramarine Corps that he created in his run on the act
Bryson Kopf
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is closer to 3.5 stars, but this is a ton of fun, like all of Morrison's JLA stuff. The first part of this book deals with the League facing two threats: most of the League is fighting the Black Death in the pocket dimension Qwewq, Gorilla Grodd takes out the Ultramarine Corp and their flying nation/island. With the help of Ultramarine Squire, Batman deploys the robotic doubles of the Justice League to fight Grodd ( I am also leaving out Batman's use of a flying saucer, his sci-fi closet, a ...more
Michael
I'm really not in tune with DC's love of evil super-evolved gorillas. I find most stories featuring Grodd a big yawn. Lastly I'm usually underwhelmed by super team v mind controlled super team clashes. The bad news is all three of these pet hates of mine usually travel together. Morrison seemed well off form here too. Fortunately the Grodd arc is short enough for the inclusion of a bonus story by Morrison featuring a classic coming together of the JLA and Wildstorm's favourite bunch of renegades ...more
Travis
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
This first arc of the new JLA series, has the JLA spending a good chunk of the story off stage and lets the Ultra-marines, the international government funded super hero team see some action.
They are a fun team of heroes, and they end up fighting a bunch of super smart gorillas, so I don't mind the JLA being out of the spotlight.

The whole story is larger than life and a nice mix of old DC comics history and wild ideas. Hope somebody does more with the Ultra marines, as they are a fun bunch of ch
Dean
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Not a bad book, but not great either. Grant Morrison is always worth a read, and the first story here is a good rollicking read, with Morrison at his best. He writes great over the top action and great dialogue, and always catches the JLA dynamic perfectly. Gorilla Grodd is actually menacing!
The second story is the let down, a very muddled and lacklustre team up between the JLA and Wildcats with, groan, blue Superman. It showcases Morrison at his scattershot worst. Overall worth a read...just.
Trey
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero
I really liked Ed McGuinness' art in the first story, more than I'd expected to since I haven't always been impressed with dude before. But the story itself is meh, Morrison's trying his hardest to make it interesting, but I didn't really care about what was going on. It was ok. The JLA/Wildcats crossover gets one *shrug* and some bus fare.
Fugo Feedback
Mar 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Morrisonistas y Ligueros incondicionales.
Recommended to Fugo by: Sus autores.
Lo leí y lo tengo en la edición original de 3 comic-books. Una historia entretenida con el dibujo dinámico y expresivo de McGinnis, pero que por momentos no se entiende y por otros apabulla con tanta perorata.
Escribiré su correspondiente reseña cuando lo relea.
Jdetrick
Grant Morrison sometimes thinks himself smarter than he is, and this is a prime example of that. His JLA work here is a pale reflection of what he did on the title originally, and this is all big ideas with no real character moments to back it up. Forgettable.
Kathleen
Feb 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Time travel, Batman-made robots of the rest of the Justice League, and mind controlled super heroes. What more do you want?
Christian
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Great superhero action with that wonderful Morrison weirdness: infant universes, Sheeda, time lords, and a robot sumo Mr. Quimper who speaks in haiku.
Neil
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Ok. Not one I would rush to read the sequels. Good in parts
Jamil
Nov 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
"These "No-Nonsense" solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."
Patrick
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Um, I'm not sure how I felt about this book. I mean, it was an interesting concept, but some of the matter-of-fact brutality felt odd.
David Palazzolo
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ultramarine Corps serves as a prologue to Grant Morrison's larger story of the Seven Soldiers of Victory. A fun read, but a little weak on its own.
Robert
Oct 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Meh. It passed the time on the el and didn't require much thought.
Mr. George
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
not my fav JLA. Just could not get into it.
Noel Correa
Jul 24, 2017
Dave O'gara
Jun 19, 2013
David Quintanilla
rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2016
Shekhar
Sep 08, 2016

• Justice League of America: Another Nail (Justice League of America: The Nail, #2)
  • 52, Vol. 4
  • Justice Society Returns
  • The Final Night
  • Girls: Emergence (Girls, #2)
  • JLA, Vol. 12: The Obsidian Age, Vol. 2
  • Countdown to Final Crisis, Vol. 2
  • Superman: Emperor Joker
  • Flash & Green Lantern: The Brave and the Bold
  • Batman: Death and the Maidens
  • Superman: For Tomorrow, Vol. 1
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 3: Unresolved Targets
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 1
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more

JLA Classified (8 books)
  • JLA Classified, Vol. 2: I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League
  • JLA Classified, Vol. 3: New Maps of Hell
  • JLA Classified, Vol. 4: The Hypothetical Woman
  • JLA Classified, Vol. 5: Kid Amazo!
  • JLA Classified, Vol. 6: That Was Now, This is Then