Start by marking “Sugar And Spice And Not So Nice (Mellow Summers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sugar And Spice And Not So Nice (Mellow Summers, #1)

Sugar And Spice And Not So Nice (Mellow Summers #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  183 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Mellow Summers just wanted to go to college and get her film degree. She moved into a furnished apartment with her friend Jackie only to find that it already had a tenant: the ghost of a girl who was murdered a year earlier. Now it is up to Mellow to not only discover who the murderer is, but to prove it as well.

With the help of the ghost Rachel, Mellow sets out to solve t
Published January 26th 2012 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Sugar And Spice And Not So Nice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar And Spice And Not So Nice

Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-supernatural
Disclaimer: I was given this book for free by the author in exchange for an honest review. My opinion is in no way swayed by the free book.

This book is a quick, easy read. It's an entertaining story that moves along at a quick pace--sometimes too quick of a pace for me. Some ideas and events were not fleshed out to their greatest potential.

The book also suffers from typos and inconsistencies that pulled me out of the story at times. The age of the main character is an odd choice, and, unfortunat
Shirley Revill
A short story that was a fun read.
Abbie
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Mel was an okay character, but I did think she was tupid at times. It was good of her to help Rachel find her killer, as so many people had ignored her plea for help before, but she put herself in danger because of it so many times!
Rachel really annoyed me at the start, but she got a bit better as the story progressed.

This wasn't a bad read, but I'm glad it was only short.

Overall, An alright read.
D
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This would be a good book if you didn't want to invest any time into your reading. The characters have no depth and background story does not exist. The author is telling a story and basically that is all you get.
Melanie
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a fun story and quick read, but a bit unbelievable at times. Overall, it was okay.

*contains some swearing
Ruthann Mccoy
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sugar and Dice and Not So Nice

This is a nice, little cozy. I really liked it, and I really liked the characters, especially the ghost, and Tiny. I hope Rachel has come back in succeeding books. If you like cozies that a fast read, this is it
Evelyn Grabas
Nothing memorable, but it was a cute, short, whimsical read. Don't think I would read another of her books though.
Angel Graham
just not that great.
Michelle
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
It would be difficult to avoid looking into a murder when the ghost of the victim is haunting you. This would be a good vacation read.
Sherry Fundin
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, mystery
Mellow was going to film school in Vermont and her friend Jackie, needing a change of pace, went with her. When they found a cheap place to rent, they questioned why it was so cheap. The former tenant had been murdered and some believed her ghost was haunting the place.

The first day of class, Mellow met Greg. After Mellow returned home from school and finished eating the dinner Jackie had fixed, she cleaned up the dishes. When she turned around she met Rachel, the murdered girl's ghost. Before s
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

Mellow Summers has just moved to Vermont to go to school and get a degree in filming. Best part: Her best friend Jackie decided to move with her! :D Little do they know that the apartment they just moved into belonged to a murder victim. But said murder victim, Rachel, lets them know what's up right away, lol. So Rachel asks Mel to help her find her killer and she agrees. But no one said it would be easy, because what ensues is a hilarious and equally dangerous adv
Jenn
Sugar and Spice and Not So Nice tells the story of Mellow Summers, who moves to Vermont with her best friend, Jackie, to attend film school. Upon moving into their new apartment they discover that the prior occupant, Rachel, was murdered not too long ago. Mellow meets her neighbor, Greg, at school and finds out the Rachel was a film student as well. The landlord tells the girls that the rent is so cheap because the other tenants have all left in a hurry claiming that the apartment is haunted.

One
Kathy
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Library Thing to read and honestly review. This was a pretty good book. It was short. It was entertaining. I was humorous and sometimes funny. Mel has just begun college, and, while she does believe sort in ghosts, she is surprised when the ghost of the last person to inhabit her apartment arrives on the scene asking Mel for help finding the person who murdered her. This story covers Mel’s task doing that—assisted by Rachel, the ghost, Jackie, her roommate/girlfriend fr ...more
Mandy
I received this book for a honest review from the author Janet McNulty. It's the story of Mellow aka Mel Summers who moves to Vermont with her friend to attend college for a film degree. I gather both girls are on a budget so when Jackie finds a cheap apartment for rent they jump on it. Just happens that the apartment is haunted by the prior tenant Rachel who can't move on till her killer is found and her fiance cleared of her murder. At first Mel is the only one who can see Rachel and it doesn' ...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Mellow Summers or Mel to her friends is twenty-six years old attending college in Vermont. Her best friend Jackie has come along as Mel's support system. Mel never believed in ghosts that is until she met Rachel. Rachel was murdered a year ago and she's been trying to get someone to help her solve her murder. Mel reluctantly agrees to help Rachel find her murderer but needs Rachel to tell her what happened that night. Rachel remembers very few details about that night. Mel meets Greg in her vide ...more
Rachael
Jun 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Clarity
Disclaimer: The fact that the author provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review had not influenced my rating.

At about 117 pages, Sugar and Spice and Not So Nice is a short, sweet, and action filled read. The plot moved quickly, and each bump in the plot was interesting, and sometime hilarious. I quote at 35% on my Kindle,
"If I were you,” she began, “I would hold onto him tightly. In fact, if I were sixty years younger I’d squeeze his butt cheeks tight.”
when describ
Shy The WidowMaker
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I love mystery stories and this one was a nice twist with paranomal elements. The author did a great job with this story. In this book we meet Mellow who is just another college student. She soon learns that with moving into her new apartment she gets to much more. Mellow learns the ghost of the girl that used to live in her apartment is still there.

Mellow and Rachel get along pretty well to say one of is human and the other one a ghost. Rachel asks Mellow to help her find out who killed her. Wh
Angie Kregg
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Shelves: signed, first-reads, arc
I received this book through the First Reads program, and I was excited to begin reading, and I promptly did so. I admit that when first picking up this book, I had thought the characters would be younger, around the age of college freshmen. Instead, the characters being in their late twenties, the book had a level of sophistication to it, while still retaining the flavor of a teen book. It was a quick and easy read, and overall it took around an hour and a half. The plot twists as far as the my ...more
Kari
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ipad, 2012
Sugar and Spice and Not So Nice is a pretty quick read. It was a cute and, at times, funny mystery. Mellow Summers heads to Vermont for college. What she didn't expect was getting a mystery and a ghost as well. Rachel was murdered a year before and she wants Mellow to help her figure out what happened. After agreeing to help, Mellow finds herself in some sticky situations. She also acquires some unique friends, like an entire biker gang! I enjoyed this mystery as it was a lot of fun to read. My ...more
Roxanne Sukhan
This was a quick, fun read. Mellow Summers rocks and so does Rachel, the ghost. Things seemed to happen too smoothly and perfectly to fit the HEA outcome, but the book was only 62 pages, so the author didn't have a whole lot of time to work with. I totally love the quirky characters, like Tiny the huge biker and all his biker friends being on the good side of the story. It didn't seem like that much of a mystery, who Rachel's killer was, but, like I said, 62 pages.

If you're looking for a nice l
phyllis
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ghost's murderer

When Mellow Summers decided to go back to school in Vermont, her best friend moved with her. Fortunately, they found a flat to rent very reasonable. Unfortunately, it was haunted. Rachel, who was the ghost. Pleaded with Mellow to find her killer. With a job, school, and homework, Mellow didn't have very much time to find the killer. Before she knows it, she's right in the middle of how Rachel was killed. Her adventures continue through out the book. A good mystery.
Cheryl
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Short, sweet, and fun. What a wild ride. From the beginning, there was non-stop acton. It was intense! From the outgoing best friend to the gorgeous boyfriend across the hall and the fun loving ghost to the strong protagonist, I completely adored all of them. I hated the bad guys, and rooted for the good guys.

Along the way, we meet lovable characters that serve as comedic relief. There was never a slack moment, making this a fast-paced, wonderful mystery. You find it who the bad guy is way befo
Geri
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teens and adults
Recommended to Geri by: I won this book
Shelves: won
I got this book free through Goodreads First Reads. This is a fun book. Poor Rachel is a ghost stuck to her apartment until she can find someone to solve her murder. Everyone that has lived in the apartment since is too scared to stay. Until Mel moves in. Not only can she see Rachel, she can talk to her. Helping Rachel puts Mel in some scary situations and has her acting very un-Mel-like. Be sure and read the book to find out how everything turns out. I think you'll like it.
Glenda A Piper
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun adventure that's well worth the read

I was looking for a good mystery that would move along at a good pace and this book filled the bill. Rachael is a fun character. I love a story that has a ghost in it. There were moments of tension where you weren't sure of the outcome. Each character was real; that to me makes a good book to read. I strongly recommend you read this book. You will enjoy it. I have to look for the next one; I'm hooked.

Gleyn
E.L.
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Im going with four stars for this book because i liked the story itself, only real big thing i noticed error wise is words like 'all' or 'i'll', ones with two l's together only had one for some reason. I love a good mystery, grew up watching sherlock holmes, ms marple, etc with my dad, and this was just as much fun. I dont read too many mysteries nowadays but this one (and the next one) are definetly ranking top five favorite mysteries.
Sara
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r, 2012
This was a good, quick read that I thoroughly enjoyed.

It's a quick read and there isn't the greatest amount of depth to the characters or story - that being said I liked the writing style, warmed to the characters and it kept me turning the pages!

I would certainly recommend this book and will definitely check out more books by this author :)
Deborah
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful. Mellow is a fascinating character. Plus she can see and talk to ghosts and investigate crime. Her friend Jackie is a little wild and fun and balance well against Mellow. Even the ghost Rachael is mufti-faceted. I be reading more of this series. It was a well written and interesting read. I highly recommend it. Especially if you like strong female characters.
Megan
This was a cute story, though some parts were a tad unbelievable. I really liked Rachel, she was funny and always enjoyable. Mel, well she was okay but she did some really foolish things. All in all, for a Kindle freebie, this was a good book. It kind of reminded me of a mix of Nancy Drew and Veronica Mars.
Tona
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mellow decides to change her life. She packs up and moves to Vermont to go to College. She might have picked another school if she had known she would be hunting down a murderer with the help of a ghost.

Great read. Read it a day and re read it last night. Can't wait to see if Mellow has more adventures.
Joy
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this book through goodreads.

Cute, quick, fun read. Great little murder mystery that's not too deep. Could it possibly be catagorized as a fun murder mystery? The characters were refreshing. Nothing that makes you delve deep into their inner core, but nice light, flirty, fun characters. Loved reading it. Will definitely look for more from this author.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Wives of Bath
  • Addicted to Magic (Addicted, #1)
  • Lily: The Witch Hunter Omnibus Edition (The Mauve Legacy, #1-4)
  • Lady Justice and the Cruise Ship Murders (Lady Justice, #11)
  • The Wife Who Ran Away
  • Cruise of the Undead (Zombies in Paradise #1)
  • A Cold Night for Alligators
  • People Live Still in Cashtown Corners
  • Big Mojo
  • Hunters
  • Forbidden Temptation of a Vampire: Sidhi Summer Camp Series
  • Blood Twist (Erris Coven, # 2)
  • These Haunts are Made for Walking (Haunted Tour Guide Mystery #1)
  • A World of Curiosities: Surprising, Interesting, and Downright Unbelievable Facts from Every Nation on the Planet
  • When Pigs Fly
  • Hereafter (Afterlife #1)
  • Doppelganger (Doppelganger, #1)
  • A Stiff Kiss
Ms. McNulty has published in a variety of genres, not wanting to be tied down to just one thing. She began her writing career with her fantasy series entitled Legends Lost. Since then, she has gone on to publish in the popular dystopian genre with her Dystopia Trilogy and has even published a cozy mystery series entitled Mellow Summers. Her most recent work is her space opera, science fiction adve ...more
More about Janet McNulty

Mellow Summers (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Frogs, Snails, And A Lot Of Wails (Mellow Summers, #2)
  • An Apple A Day Keeps Murder Away (Mellow Summers, #3)
  • Three Little Ghosts (The Mellow Summers, #4)
  • Oh Holy Ghost (Mellow Summers, #5)
  • Where Trouble Roams (Mellow Summers, #6)
  • Two Ghosts Haunt A Grove (Mellow Summers, #7)
  • Trick Or Treat, Or Murder? (Mellow Summers, #8)
  • Roses Are Red; He's Dead (Mellow Summers, #9)
  • Double, Double, Nothing But Trouble (Mellow Summers, #10)
  • Ring Around the Rosy, Not Another Ghostie (Mellow Summers, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Perfect Stranger
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Lying in Wait
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Birdman
  • Hanging Hill: A Novel
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)