Start by marking “Node.js in Action” as Want to Read:
Node.js in Action

Node.js in Action

Summary

Node.js in Action is an example-driven tutorial that starts at square one and guides you through all the features, techniques, and concepts you'll need to build production-quality Node applications. You'll start by learning how to set up your Node development environment, including loading the community-created extensions. Next, you'll run several simple demonstrati
Published November 25th 2013 by Manning Publications (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Node.js in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Node.js in Action

Elie De Brauwer
What started to be out to be a very great book turned out to be not really great. I really enjoyed the 'lets dive in approach' of the first example, unfortunately due to technology changing so fast the quality (the further in the book the more errors and the more omissions) and means to reproduce the later examples (mainly thinking about express and connect) deteriorate, making it sometimes rather frustrating.

The book also focuses on nodejs a lot, and where they focus a lot on 'third party' npm
Anton Antonov
May 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Another NodeJS book that puts too much focus on building web apps and libraries instead of Node itself.

Beyond explaining the event loop, this book goes full-library explanation mode that you can always read from the official library's docs.
Shashank Sharma
While the content and flow is good, this book covers Express 3. It needs to be updated to Express 4 asap as Express 4 is already in wide usage. 3 starts for a book that needs a new revision.
Steve
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written book that answered a number of my questions about working with node for both command line and web apps. The book included references to a number of testing and other frameworks that look to be useful and covered deployment considerations. That the tech stack for the examples overlapped the stack I was using was a bonus.
Vladimir Vukanac
Useful for fast read and remember how to do some topics.
Touching WebSockets with simple but useful examples.
Ivan Atanasov
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is not update with latest version of node and express, but is a good foundation for starting programming with node.js
Neetika
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Part-1 of the book introduces Node fundamentals in detail covering a chat application in chapter 2,which I felt was tough to follow, being newbie to Node.But Part-2 is the heart of the book covering Node's low-level API's in detail, all the middle-ware's, and then coverage of Web Frameworks Connect and Express is comprehensive and easy to follow.After covering Part-2, revisiting Part-1, clarified all my doubts, the Chapter 2 Chat application was easy to understand now.

It's clear and concise cove
Matt Riley
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
The content quality in this book is extremely good. I really hope there's an updated edition covering the recent significant changes to Connect, Express, Socket IO and all the other modules in this book. Without an updated edition, the shelf life of this book will quickly expire (and to a certain extent already has).

Unfortunately the errata is a problem, even after compensating for the different module versions. The scattered errata makes the exercises difficult to work with and are sometimes do
Eric
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great dive into Node.js and dovetailed with some of the grunt/gulp preprocessor reading I've been looking at. It also gave me another perspective on ASP.NET MVC (and MVC architectures in general) while expanding my literacy with the now near-ubiquitious JavaScript language. There was even a chapter on acceptance testing and another on github which both merge (see what I did there?) nicely with other efforts I have going on at work and on personal projects. Even if you are NOT working ...more
Dmitry Vorobiov
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good introduction to Node.js. The book teaches the basic conceptions of Node.js, frameworks that are used for creating Node.js apps, web applications.
What I think could be better:
1. More details about Node.js (child processes, creating custom modules).
2. The chapters where we create a photo app using Express would be more structured and easier to follow. I would like to be able to download work in progress code from the book website.
Majid
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book, however, I recommend this book for beginners who would like to know Node.js and have a whole idea of Node community, libraries, frameworks and in-use practices. All in all, it is worth to read that.

By the way, I have read Node.js in Action, Second Edition, manning.com/books/node-js-in-action-s...
dna
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Best node book available right now. Focuses on express
Vincent Zhu
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy to follow and quite a few insights inside worthy to learn.
Johnny Gamba
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book has some weird chapters that maybe could be replaced for others with more relevant information ,nevertheless this is a must read book if you are a noob in the NodeJS world
Adi Bilauca
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book is doing a great job describing the fundamentals. It does it correctly and is recommending good practices. Highly recommended for Node.js beginners, but not only.
Ladislav Prskavec
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good book for beginners with nodejs.
Marek Skrobacki
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well structured, good introduction to node. Very nice chapter about debugging.
Chris
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
A great introduction to Node.js - comprehensive, well structured and with lots of pointers to further reading. I read sections to start with then sat down and read it cover to cover. I'm glad I did.
Frank Palardy
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: javascript-cloud
Didn't like this when I first looked at it. The new edition seems like an improvement.
David Zukowski
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Haven't read every page, but it's a perfect reference book. Covers everything from application setup to protocol descriptions to security and testing.
Banner B Schafer

• Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • Async JavaScript
  • jQuery in Action
  • Node.Js the Right Way: Practical, Server-Side JavaScript That Scales
  • Programming JavaScript Applications: Robust Web Architecture With Node, HTML5, and Modern JS Libraries
  • AngularJS
  • The Node Beginner Book
  • Effective JavaScript: 68 Specific Ways to Harness the Power of JavaScript
  • iPhone Programming (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja
  • Practical Vim: Edit Text at the Speed of Thought
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • Single Page Web Applications
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Developing Backbone.js Applications
  • High Performance Browser Networking

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »