Start by marking “Introducing Regular Expressions” as Want to Read:
Introducing Regular Expressions

Introducing Regular Expressions

If you’re a programmer new to regular expressions, this easy-to-follow guide is a great place to start. You’ll learn the fundamentals step-by-step with the help of numerous examples, discovering first-hand how to match, extract, and transform text by matching specific words, characters, and patterns.

Regular expressions are an essential part of a programmer’s to
Published July 31st 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Regular Expressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Regular Expressions

Start your review of Introducing Regular Expressions
Martin
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
I liked the slowness of it but I think there should have been more exercises. It also leans heavy on Perl, which I found good, though unexpected.
Dmitry Demidov
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Отличная книга для введения в тему. Пошаговый разбор от простого к сложному с примерами
Louis
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer
This is not the first time I've tried to learn Regular Expressions. But other than some basic syntax, it never clicked. But I think this book provided the kind of introduction I needed to get me to not just know the syntax, but to get an understanding of how regular expressions work and how to learn its power. In short, it is not a reference, but a book that teaches me how to learn. And that is what I had not had before.

I've come across regular expressions on numerous occasions in th
David Cross
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Very slim introduction to regular expressions. I noticed a couple of errors that I'll report to O'Reilly. But if you want a quick read to get you up to speed with regular expressions then this will probably do the trick.
Giuseppe D
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good introduction I think. It's good that it provides a few texts to play with and doing the exercises while reading along makes learning much easier. Some of the tools are a bit dated but you can just google equivalent ones. Also, it focuses a lot on Perl so I skipped some parts. Pretty sure I won't remember all the special characters and I will continue to google them most of the time but it's useful to know the main ones and to know what tools are out there and what they're called (positive/n ...more
Jeff
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
For such a short book, this goes into too much detail on on line regex simulators and on different implementations of regex, rather than just sticking to the basics.
Constantine Melios
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A good introduction to get you going. More exercises expected.
Maxim
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was beyond helpful.
Kerszi
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it
1. połowa podręcznika to rozdziały, dużo obrazków, więc czyta się ją bardzo szybko. Zaletą tej książki jest, że wyrażenia regularne są opisane w najróżniejszych programach, i to bardzo przystępnie. Jest ona raczej dla początkujących, ale mających jako takie doświadczenie z komputerem. Druga połowa to oznaczenia, opisy innych książek, kody znaków (dobrze, że nie chińskich, bo wtedy tom byłby gruuuby), inne kody, słowniczek, zapchane czym się da. Niestety tylko 3 gwiazdki, za małą ilość treści, je ...more
Patrick
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-hard-copy
I've updated my review from 4 to 5 stars as the practical application for what it taught me have started to show. I've saved quite a bit of time already due to what I've learned from this book.

I now have three things I will quote at people:
"The most elemental problem people have with technology is literacy"
"Excel is evil and lies!"
"If you work with a lot of text you owe it to yourself to learn RegEx"
Ariadna73
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Too basic for what I wanted to accomplish
Gabor Varga
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't read it word by word, but it was suitable for what its title promises.
Liz C
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book about regex, clear and practical examples.
Michael Johansen
Mihai
Sep 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.