Start by marking “Where the Devil Can't Go” as Want to Read:
Where the Devil Can't Go

Where the Devil Can't Go

(Kiszka and Kershaw #1)

The naked body of a girl washes up on London’s Thames foreshore – the only clue to her identity a heart-shaped tattoo. Who is she? And why did she die?

Janusz Kiszka, unofficial 'fixer' to East London’s Polish community, and a man with his own distinctive moral code, has been hired to track down a missing waitress. Meanwhile, DC Natalie Kershaw, a rookie detective who’s not
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 21st 2011)

Manuel Antão
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

I started reading this novel because of the title. Really... I'm familiar with the quote by the German poet Ludwig Tieck. The quote in German goes something like this:

"Wo der Teufel nicht selbst hin will, schickt er ein Weib", which means "Where the Devil Can’t Go, he'll send a woman" (Kershaw in this particular case).

After reading the novel, I came to conclude that there's also a polish version of the same proverb. Despite the numerou
Liz Barnsley
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
With her first novel, Anya Lipska has created that lovely thing - a crime novel with enough originality to make it a great read for fans of the genre. Janusz Kiszka is a Polish ex pat who has been living in London for many years. A "fixer" he is asked to track down a missing Polish girl. Meanwhile, the body of a young girl is washed up along the Thames and new officer DC Natalie Kershaw is investigating. I loved the background to this novel - giving an insight into a different culture within the ...more
Otherwyrld
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
A middle-aged Polish "fixer" and unofficial Private Detective, and a young ambitious female Detective Sergeant find themselves working the same case from different angles in modern-day London...

Considering this a first novel, this book is an astonishing achievement both in terms of plot and characterisation, and it feels like this is the work of a much more mature author. Both the two main characters feel utterly real, well rounded and totally believable. The story progresses from their points o
Raven
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastyczny! That would be my resounding verdict on this gripping debut by Anya Lipska, set both in the Polish community of East London with a interesting sojourn back to Poland itself. This is one read that definitely rises above the simple classification of police procedural in Lipska’s capable hands, and proves itself to be a multi-layered and culturally interesting reading experience as well.

I think what I liked most about the book was the unveiling of a culture and way of life that I had v
Richard
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The action is non-stop and has incidents and heart-stopping moments in both London and in Poland.
This multi-layered thriller has its soul within the Polish community in the UK; conveying through echoes of Poland's recent history the reality of why Poles leave their homeland, the struggles they find in London and their hopes for the future. The novel also has a political dimension which is cleverly woven into the plot.
An engaging story that works on these various levels; it is never the novel you
Cphe
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book. This is a tautly gripping thriller/mystery. Young Polish girls are being murdered in London. Janusz Kizska is the main protagonist, who for want of better words is a "fixer" for the Polish comunity. He is asked by the local priest to find a missing Polish girl. At the same time Detective Constable Natalie Kershaw is also looking into the murders of Polish girls - there isn't much for either of them to go on.
It is Janusz the main character who is the most compelling
John Gaynard
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Anya Lipska’s Where the Devil Can't Gobegins on a building site in London, where an incompetent young Polish builder and decorator gets strong-armed by the hero, Janusz Kiszka, for late payment of a sum of money he owes. The first few chapters develop the backdrop of East London and the fast money, back of a lorry, gambits to be enjoyed in the erection of sub-standard buildings for the Olympic Games.

Janusz’s troubled character slowly comes into focus. A devout but doubting Catholic, a large man
Chile Chile
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Lipska has done her "homework" well. I am impressed by her knowledge of the history and culture of my homeland. I appreciate a mystery too, it was interesting and unpredictable.
Rachel Hall
At the time of reviewing this Anya Lipska has a fully fledged series under her belt with the third Kiszka and Kershaw novel out in print, yet I had not realised that this book, her first, was originally a self–published effort. Focusing on the trials and tribulations of Janusz Kiszka, unofficial 'fixer' for the Polish community in East London, and the young and ambitious Detective Constable Natalie Kershaw whose paths just have a way of crossing. In essence, effectively a police procedural with ...more
J.S. Colley
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Next to a great piece of literary fiction, there’s nothing like a good thriller and Where the Devil Can’t Go is certainly that. Taut and unpredictable, it’s a great read. From what I understand, it’s the first in a series featuring the two main protagonists: Detective Constable Natalie Kerksaw and “Janusz Kiszka, unofficial fixer to East London’s Polish community.”

Janusz is asked by his parish priest to find a missing girl, who—like so many others Poles—came to London’s East Side to find work. B
Book Addict Shaun
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Some of my favourite bloggers have highly recommended Anya Lipska's books and so I couldn't resist picking up Where the Devil Can't Go when I saw it staring at me on the shelf at my local library. I was excited but a little apprehensive; I am a crime fiction reader that likes things quite simple as opposed to a story which is more political. But, if anything, that element of the story was quite gripping, and has left me wanting to learn more about Poland and its history.

I enjoyed the scene-setti
Karen
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No idea whatsoever how or why, but WHERE THE DEVIL CAN'T GO by Anya Lipska wafted into my somewhat dodgy attention span recently, and I started reading it immediately. As in read the sample, bought the ebook and read it as soon as it downloaded.

Sometimes the universe is very kind and benevolent place, because this is an excellent debut book. Set within the Polish community in England, I think I've since heard somewhere that this is the first novel of this sort out of that environment.

The story i
Rob Kitchin
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where the Devil Can’t Go is a competently written thriller with a political subtext. The strength of the book is the sense of place and community relations in London, the characterisation of Janusz and Kershaw, and interweaving of the two main plots as they twist round each other and intersect. The writing is generally engaging, though the plot was a little uneven, with the first half of the book stronger than the second. The first half was very good and demonstrated Lipska’s undoubted talent as ...more
Christine
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know why I left it so long to read this book. It was just brilliant, combining Polish sub culture in the UK with a terrific plot about a missing girl. The whole historical side was completely absorbing giving a fascinating perspective on life in a communist country. I just loved the way we got a taste of the Polish community and their language and food

Janusz Kiszka was such an interesting character. Part investigator/part fixer with an eye for justice and a fear of the police, he
Seumas Gallacher
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a superb first novel from an exciting new author. The slant on the Polish community in London adds even more character to an already well plotted story line. Janusz the main character is appealing in so many levels, his scruffiness and means of getting things done on behalf of his clients as an informal private investigator, are splendid reading. The formal police detective, a female, is smart and at first a bit bemused by Janusz, but the intertwine of the paths that each take to get to ...more
May Fungi From Yuggoth
Consider this recommended! Long ago, I discovered a passion for British crime fiction; next, for Scandinavian crime fiction; now, for the Polish version! Anya Lipska is excellent! The plot is riveting, the characters empathetic, and the tension-taut balancing between the female DC and the male Polish "honourable" tough guy is superb!
Lynn Fairclough
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Insight into different cultures within the UK, likeable main characters, would have read more if there were any.
Carina
This is a surprisingly good book, it takes some 'typical' elements of crime books and somehow manages to twist them about so they don't feel as usual as they necessarily could be. According to Goodreads this is the authors debut novel and it is a fantastic start - I'll be adding at least the second book to my To Reads shelf.

So first things first, yes this is part of a series. As I didn't add this book on Goodreads until I'd finished reading it, this came to a surprise to me as the author doesn't
Lindsay
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
'He was engulfed by an extraordinary sensation, as if his body were physically unravelling from the back of his throat down to the pit of his stomach, while his mind floated up and watched the scene from above, a disinterested observer.'

Janusz Kiszka has lived in London for over twenty years, and is a 'fixer', a man who can investigate matters for you, he is 'one of the best-connected people in London's Polonia', and several people amongst the Polish community in the East End of London have aske
Fictionophile
Originally published on my blog: "Fictionophile"

There is a Polish proverb: Gdzie diabel nie moze, tam babe posle (Where the devil can’t go, he’ll send a woman)

Set in London, this debut crime thriller is the first in a series featuring rookie DC Natalie Kershaw, and Janusz Kiszka, a builder and unofficial ‘fixer’ and ‘go-to man’ in East London’s Polish community.

The novel is part police procedural and part history lesson about the Polish diaspora which estimates that between 300,000 and 800,000
David Hebblethwaite
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Anya Lipska’s debut novel is set amongst the Polish diaspora of East London, where fixer-for-hire Janusz Kiszka is engaged to find a missing young woman. Meanwhile, the body another woman is found washed up out of the Thames – and DC Natalie Kershaw’s investigations soon lead her to Janusz, who will find himself travelling back to Poland in a bid to unravel what is going on.

Where the Devil Can’t Go is a fine crime story, but it’s also strong thematically. The main theme could be described as pra
Helen
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. She is my new Scandi favourite writer I now have a firmer grasp of the Polish persona. The history of the Solidarity movement. How the Nazis effected the grass roots citizens of Poland. I found myself running to the Internet looking up little towns in Poland. I have two new heros in Janusz and Kershaw. I learnt a little bit of Polish. I was also informed about the influence of the Catholic Church during the war and still today.Loved the sly humour. Do yourself a favor read thi ...more
Ken Fredette
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good author in Anya Lipska. I was taken in by all the various characters in this tail of Poland and the U.K. with all the talk of contractors at first to start off. It was the start of the relationship between a Catholic Priest and our hero noir detective that created the basic murder. It was subject to a young woman inspector from the CID. Who ends up saving our hero. Read it and enjoy.
Haje
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Where the Devil can't Go was a great little read; a whirlwind of crime fiction creativity, elegantly told and snappily written, although I do think it could benefit from a little bit of editorial tightening in places.

Overall a nice read, would happily recommend it!
Rich
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great thriller set in London's Polish community. 'Fixer' Janusz Kiszka and ambitious young detective Natalie Kershaw are likeable protagonists.
Kerry
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great thriller set around the Polish community. I thoroughly enjoyed it & found the writing style very likeable. I'll definitely be reading more by this author.
Alan Mills
It took me a little while to get into this, but by the end, I thought it was great.

A body is found floating in the river. A sex worker is found dead in a hotel room, from a drug overdose. Neither have any identification, and it appears both women killed themselves--intentionally or accidentally. A newly promoted young female detective is assigned both cases...since neither appear to involve a crime, it seems like a safe, boring assignment by a sexist boss, who doesn't think women should be detec
Bissfan
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bissfan by: Feder
Janusz Kiszka verdient seinen Lebensunterhalt mit vielen mehr oder weniger legalen Geschäften. Unter anderem erfreut er sich unter den polnischen Einwanderern als Privatdetektiv einiger Beliebtheit. Doch als sein Priester ihn bittet, eine spurlos verschwundene, junge Frau aufzuspüren, stolpert er bei seinen Ermittlungen in einen dunklen Sumpf aus Intrigen und Mord. Die Ermittlungen bringen Janusz schließlich selbst in Lebensgefahr. Aber nicht nur das, auch die Polizei beginnt unangenehme Fragen ...more
Filip Olšovský
This just worked on all of the levels. The mysterious part is thrilling, the historical context adds another layer and the characters are interesting enough to care about their destiny. And the best part is the excellent combination of Polish and English cultures which makes this more than just another crime story about one dead girl.
Stephanie Patterson
This was a little confusing in the beginning due to languages but became easier as I read more. The main several are very well developed. Plot could be taking place in a variety of countries today.

• Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3; Danny McRae, #3)
  • The Twilight Time (Anna Cameron #1)
  • The Abrupt Physics of Dying (Claymore Straker #1)
  • Killing Mum
  • The Unquiet Grave (Damen Brook, #4)
  • The Poisoned Island
  • A Dark Redemption (Carrigan and Miller, #1)
  • The Sentinel (Vengeance of Memory, #1)
  • Bloodland
  • Shell House
  • A Book of Scars (Breen and Tozer, #3)
  • American Devil (Tom Harper & Denise Levene #1)
  • Final Epidemic (Beck Casey #1)
  • The Stone Boy
  • Tre Hundes Nat
  • A Madras Miasma (Superintendent Le Fanu Mystery, #1)
  • Dead to Me (Scott & Bailey, #1)
  • Blood Tears (DI Ray McBain, #1)
Anya Lipska's debut novel 'Where the Devil Can't Go' is published by The Friday Project/Harper Collins. It has received many favourable reviews and Anya has been selected by Val McDermid to appear on her New Blood Panel at the 2013 Theakstons Crime Writing Festival in Harrogate.

Anya lives with her Polish husband in the East End, where the book is (mostly) located. In her day job as a producer of f

Kiszka and Kershaw (3 books)
  • Death Can't Take a Joke (Kiszka and Kershaw, #2)
  • A Devil Under the Skin (Kiszka and Kershaw, #3)
“Where the devil can’t go, he sends a woman.” 3 likes
“He checked his watch. “Make it quick, I’ve got a pressing appointment at the Drunken Monkey at two o’clock. Crucial meeting with a CHIS.” CHIS? It took her a moment to translate. Covert Human Intelligence Source – aka, criminal informer. Yeah, right, she thought, more like three pints and a dodgy pie with your dinosaur mates. All the same, she was beginning to realise she could learn a lot from an old-school throwback like Streaky. The other Detective Sergeants at Newham nick were younger, and mostly of the new breed. Smartly dressed and professional, they wouldn’t dream of drinking while on duty, but they seemed to her more like bank managers than real cops. So what if Streaky liked a few jars at lunchtime? Everyone knew he had a better clear-up rate than any of them. Which was probably why he hadn’t been shuffled off with a full pension years ago.” 0 likes