Start by marking “Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)” as Want to Read:
Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)

Destiny: Child of the Sky

(Symphony of Ages #3)

A FELLOWSHIP OF THREE

To stand against the F'dor-- an ancient, vile being intent on destroying the world-- a fellowship has been forged: Rhapsody, a Singer of great talent and beauty; Achmed, an assassin with unearthly talents; and Grunthor, a giant of jolly disposition and lethal skill with weapons.

Driven by prophetic visions, the three know that time is running short, kno
Mass Market Paperback, 864 pages
Published May 19th 2002 by Tor Fantasy (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Destiny, please sign up.
Helga I´ve just finished all three books and this one would have benefitted from some cutting of the text, just like the others. But if you liked the story …moreI´ve just finished all three books and this one would have benefitted from some cutting of the text, just like the others. But if you liked the story they are telling despite of the excessive amount of words used to tell it, you should read this one as well. I was not left with a cliffhanger feeling after finishing it and right now I´m not sure if I will read the fourth one. (I rated them all 4 stars cause I liked the story but I was seriously thinking about rating them 3 stars because I think they are to long. I still might change it...)(less)
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,255 books — 2,315 voters
Graceling by Kristin CashorePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderThe Golden Dynasty by Kristen AshleyA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLord of the Fading Lands by C.L. Wilson
Epic Fantasy Romance
491 books — 994 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
As much as I loved this trilogy and these characters, I think I am going to stop right here and not continue reading the series. I think Rhapsody and Ashe's story is complete and I would like to keep it that way.

I've read some of the reviews of the next books, and I think it's safe to keep this trilogy as a special place in my heart instead of it maybe soiling it the more I read.

It finished off perfectly ----- except for Achmed (I really wanted a HEA for him) especially since him and Gunther wer
Ellen
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
Why did I read all three of these? WHY??
Dani
Oct 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
I could deal with the endless flow of men throwing themselves down at Raps feet because, who wouldn't she so incredibly beautiful! I mean you'd have to be half blind to not notice, considering Haydon throws it in the readers face every other page or so. Raps the whore who somehow gets her virginity back. Now if that isn't the biggest load I've ever read I don't know what is.

It wasn't even that.

Achmed managed to get me through Rapsody and I actually liked Joe, because as much of a whiney bitch th
Allison
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was sooo happy when I heard that this wasn't the last book in the series! The romance and struggles that the characters felt I felt along with them too! These characters are so strong and this book brings everything to life because it seems so realistic, just in another world. AMAZING
Sotiris Karaiskos
A beautiful and particularly moving ending to this very interesting trilogy. As in the previous two parts, the author once again shows her excellent writing skills, creating the emotional intensity is needed, which culminates in the most critical moments. I could say, of course, that there are some exaggerations - and too many tears - but I think they do not lose the end result. Anyway, a little sentimentalism in our lives is needed, especially if there is something good.

The paradox is that this
Joshua
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book, and the way that Haydon wrapped things up. The search for the Rakshas' children was a nice additon, and the end of the F'dor was highly satisfying. Even though I was dismayed at first to see 200 pages left, she did a good job of tying up all the loose ends. I am looking forward to reading the next book.
wishforagiraffe
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a solid conclusion to a thoroughly enjoyable series and I would definitely recommend it for anyone who enjoys some romance in their fantasy, anyone who likes a solid good vs evil plotline, anyone who enjoys suspense and mystery, and anyone looking for some well done alternatives to traditional fantasy races.
Kelci | Steeped in Stories
Oh my gosh -- this conclusion to the Symphony of Ages trilogy was nothing short of magnificent. I am glad I took a break from this world about 100 pages in, so I could come back refreshed and be ready to devour the other 500+ pages in a mere matter of days.

"You have no understanding of what 'nothing' is, no idea how long 'forever' can be. You were never nothing. You were a farmgirl, a harlot, a harper; at your lowest, the most demeaned moment of your life, you were worth something, some cattl
Tricia
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Beth Johnson
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
This book was WAY long, which was why it gets 4 stars (prolly closer to 3.5). I love the main characters, but I really felt like the book dragged on and on and on. So many things happening. And I'm not entirely certain the ending was worth it (the very last chapter). I liked the overall wrap up and will definitely be continuing the series.
Johanna
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, this is it. The end of Haydon's fabulous trilogy! I know, when asking Goodreads it isn't shown as a trilogy but rather as six volumes. But nevertheless, the first three novels build a union. Book four and five seem to be closed stories who aren't even half as good as the trilogy and the last book, well that one just seems to be strangely without a real plot. I don't know when or whether I will read anymore books in this series because I'm so very very satisfied with the first three. I'll sor ...more
Jyoti Dahiya
Sep 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Her dresses are worth more than her strength

As someone mentioned online, no wonder people prefer writing fantasy to hard science fiction. A few horses, some random magic, a demon to vanquish, and dresses like a millionaire's wedding confection. That's all you need to generate terrific sales. No wondering if the planet you posit would develop with the atmosphere you need for the critters you invented for the story to move. Ha.

The first thing I noticed about the book was the contorted pose of the
Aelvana
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Armed with the locations of the demon-spawn's children, Rhapsody and Achmed leave the mountain in Grunthor's capable hands. If they can extract the demon's blood from the children, it will be their first solid lead on the F'dor's host. But the F'dor is hardly sitting idle, and it continues to orchestrate the plan that will bring the whole world into ruin. It may simply be a matter of which of them gets there first.

All the threads built in Rhapsody and Prophecy tie up here, in the capstone of the
Gaijinmama
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fiction
This is the third book in the Symphony of Ages series. You most likely do not want to read this one unless you read Rhapsody and Prophecy first.
This was my third re-read of this book. I liked it even better than before. The sarcastic banter among the three main characters is hilarious. And the dragons are wicked awesome, as we used to say in Massachusetts. One sounds like Alan Rickman in my head. One is dead sexy and gets to fool around with our heroine. And one...whom I personally enjoyed the m
VanHalen
Apr 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Three words:
Not as strong.

Many years ago I was browsing the fantasy section in Narns & Nobles in Iowa City, when the clerk started chatting with me about books & recommended Rhapsody, the first of this series.

That book, I really liked, so I picked up the next two in the series.
The second book was a little looser, but still pretty good.

This book, less so. It works through the resolution of the conflicts from the first two books. ALL OF THEM...

There were enough resolutions to have been resolved o
Maya
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Well. It's finally over. I may go into withdrawal from glistening tresses and glittering eyes and bellwether misused three times a chapter, but then again, probably not.

And yet I still really liked this book. The politics were good. The Rowans were interesting. I could have done without Constantin and Anwyn, but, you know. You win some, you lose some.

I especially adore Achmed and wish he had gotten more of a role. I would love a book about Achmed and Grunthor, with Rhapsody and/or Ashe as side c
Jeff
Dec 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Ouch. How the heck do you go from brilliant and inspired to this confused morass of a story? It slows down, gets confused in it'self, and when the important things happen I find I could care less. There were two books of set up leading to this and it read like there was one big placeholder keeping the finale delayed. And now the last couple hundred of pages are a painful read as I hope that one final bit comes together. I keep thinking 'who cares about this pomp, get ON with it!'

150 pages left,
Férial
First 3/4th better than the too romance-ish last 4th.

I've enjoyed discovering this complex world and the different forces at work. Also, the different races (Lirin, Bolg, F'dor, Serandian, Nain, Dhracian...) were something new (which was kind of refreshing)

I was annoyed (to say the least) with the dazzlingly-dazzling-unselfish-and-strongest-of-all-Rhapsody-whose-hair-we-get-talked-about-every-2-pages-or-so and, by the end of the book, I thought that the story was more a romance with a high fanta
Katie
A solid conclusion to the original trilogy, things wrap up pretty well - although some of it dragged a bit, so it may have benefited from a bit more editing. Achmed & Grunthor are wonderful, Rhapsody's kind of blah, and full of stereotypes - yet I still love these books. ...more
Serial Overthinker
David
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Sometimes books put me in physical pain. Or is it the virus? Fortunately no, this time the pain comes from reading Mary Sue Rhapsody's Destiny.

So put yourself in my shoes. It's 2020, in COVID-19 related lockdown, facing fat books on your unread pile, and you begin reading a 800+ page slog, forcing yourself to push through, trying to convince yourself that you enjoy fantasy fiction. But it never gets better, not after page 200, where the first battle starts, nor page 500, where we meet the fat d
Kadie
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I’m fairly conflicted about how to review this series. On the one hand I enjoyed the overall storyline of the trilogy, I liked the characters and the world building was amazing. The books kept me engaged wanting to see it to the end so I devoured them quickly.

However there were some thematic issues and writing choices that really took away a lot from the book for me.

To start with, Rhapsody. While I actually don’t mind her Mary Sue nature (which I know bothers other people), what I can’t get pas
Alice Janell
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2018
I read this series back in high school and remember loving it -- the rich world, the magic, the romance, the different races and religions and the grand sweeping epic.

So now, many years removed from high school, the book caught my eye in the Kindle store and I purchased ALL OF THEM. Even the ones I hadn't read (I only read the first three in high school).

And damn was I disappointed.

There are still so many things I truly love about these books, but I am not the girl I was in high school and my ta
Josianne Haag
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy
Overall, I enjoyed this trilogy. It was a lot of fun with cool worldbuilding and some really unique characters. However, this series was held back from being great by a female main character that just had to be the most beautiful creature in existence without knowing it, and so kind as so self sacrifice for so many strangers yet not give people who genuinely loved her a chance to speak to make the plot convenient.

The ending was good enough, yet weirdly rushed and drawn out at the same time. Wha
Cynthia
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Did I mention that there are dragons in these stories? There are.
In PROPHECY, we learned of the stories about our three heros: Rhapsody, Ahmet, and Grunther. In this story, they find that they are the Three who Left Early and Arrived Late.
Rhapsody falls in love with Ashe; Ahmet is the King of the Bolg; and Grunther is the One who Must be Obeyed. The three work together to unite a group of people who had to flee their homeland in order to survive.
A really good story.
Emily
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I was going to try to read the whole series but I'm going to pretend that this trilogy is all that Haydon wrote about these characters! From other reviews, it seems that the issues I had with this one (long,unnecessarily drawn out descriptions and poor pacing, characterization issues) only get worse as the series goes on. I'm happy to leave them where they are and remember them fondly.
Belinda
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Beautiful Enchanting Story

Rhapsody Trilogy is one of those books you could read over and over again. There is something so exciting and horrifying in the same second. My perception changes every time I read it.
Linda
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This final book of the Symphony of Ages trilogy brings a close to this tale. But does it? The battles are over. The lives are changed. The final chapter is so different. A different voice, a different perspective. A series to be savored.
Deelighted
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the series, but felt the ending was too drawn out.
Shelby
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I could I would give this book and the whole series 6 out of 5 stars. Beautiful, emotional, and completely engrossing. Favorite fantasy trilogy of all time. Can’t wait to read the next six!!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
destiny 2 13 Jan 25, 2013 05:57AM
Romance Lovers fo...: Series Read: Symphony of Ages, #3: Destiny: Child of the Sky (Start Date: July, 2012) 11 36 Aug 28, 2012 09:20PM

• Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
  • The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1)
  • Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3)
  • The War of the Flowers
  • To Light a Candle (Obsidian Mountain, #2)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • Polgara the Sorceress
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
  • Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2)
  • King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1)
  • The Summoner (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #1)
  • A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #4.1, #4.3, #5.1, #7.1, #8.1)
  • The First Confessor (The Legend of Magda Searus, #1)
  • The Man with the Golden Torc (Secret Histories, #1)
  • Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1)
  • King of Foxes (Conclave of Shadows, #2)
  • Black Wolves (Black Wolves, #1)
Elizabeth Haydon (* 1965 in Michigan) is a fantasy author, whose 1999 debut, Rhapsody: Child of Blood, garnered comparisons with Goodkind, Jordan, and even Tolkien. She has written two fantasy series set within the same universe, The fantasy/romance/whodunit fusion called The Symphony of Ages and the young adult series The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.

An herbalist, harpist, and madrigal singer,

Symphony of Ages (9 books)
  • Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
  • Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Merchant Emperor (Symphony of Ages #7)
  • The Hollow Queen (Symphony of Ages #8)
  • The Weaver's Lament (Symphony of Ages, #9)

News & Interviews