Start by marking “Getting Started with Arduino” as Want to Read:
Getting Started with Arduino

Getting Started with Arduino

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  824 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Arduino is the open-source electronics prototyping platform that's taken the design and hobbyist world by storm. This thorough introduction, updated for Arduino 1.0, gives you lots of ideas for projects and helps you work with them right away. From getting organized to putting the final touches on your prototype, all the information you need is here!

Inside, you'll learn ab
Published September 1st 2011 by Maker Media, Inc (first published October 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started with Arduino, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started with Arduino

Jason Miller
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just read this book in an effort to learn some electronics. I would have thought that a book about microprocessors and physical computing would be putting the cart before the horse in this regard, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the advice I'd been given was right - this is a nice way to learn about putting together circuits. That the circuits have sensors and require a bit of coding to get working make them even more fun (for me) to learn about.

This book is short, very straightf
Joseph Moskie
Only 90 pages of real text, the rest are appendices. There are also a lot of giant page-sized diagrams that aren't really all that needed.

All in all the book was a lot less technical than I had thought it would be. I was expecting something a little more in-depth, bridging the Arduino with the electronics themselves. All the book really ended up being was "make an LED blink, now make it blink with a button, now make it blink with a photosensor."

They briefly touched on what the ATMEGA chip was, a
Nicole
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book to supplement the one that comes with the official arduino kit. It's not perfect, but for me it made a lot of things come together.

Pros:
- as a very visually minded person, I found this book the most helpful of the ones I've seen (those being the official book and Jeremy Blum's) at explaining exactly how things work. It might seem overly simplistic or even a little patronizing by the time you get to the middle of the book, but that was what I needed to get the foundation required
Marin
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
It's not a bad introduction to Arduino and electronics. I found it useful as a quick reminder of the key elements of electronics, though physics is kept at a bare minimum.

Coding sections are quite useful to quickly get up and running with Arduino's programming language.
Preston
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a very good introduction to Arduino

In many cases, the next progressive sketch will introduce commands or syntax that goes unexplained. If you know other languages, just read an intro on the internet and print a reference card—you'll be better off.
Matija
A decent introduction of the Arduino platform. If you're already familiar with microcontrollers and/or programming, it might feel a little patronizing at times, but I guess the intended target are people who don't really know anything about either before they pick up this book.

It's good that every chapter (except the introductions) contains an actual project that you can complete and that illustrates the particular concept you're learning about, rather than just explaining the theory of the conc
Chris
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good introduction to the concepts of Arduino, from the founding master. Includes some philosophical 'fluff' as the author calls it, which is nonetheless useful, relevant and appropriate. No one else would have been able to convey that stuff, as to why the platform is like it is. The generalist diagram of sense/operate/output is fantastically useful as a concept for the platform modus operandi. Overall technically, the book is a well written overview of functions(), setup, pins, and the ...more
Arjen
May 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This starts really well with explaining what the Arduino is can can do. Some easy examples with a LED, a few wires and transistors -- that's all fine. I made it make a LED blink when I pressed a button! Now that's cool.

Then suddenly is talks about the Leonardo board, how much it rocks and is much better than the Uno, and the next step is buying a lamp from IKEA to get some lamp that connects to the internet. And the next chapter involves even more expansive parts. I still have stuff in my box I
Todd N
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read through this quick book last night instead of falling asleep. I didn't get much done at work today, but it was worth it.

This is a great introduction to the Arduino microcontroller project. It's as open source as all get out -- the hardware designs, the IDE, etc. are all under open source license. I saw a couple Arduino compatible boards at Fry's this week, and I've been debating buying one to fool around with it and to introduce my kids to the wonderful world of electronic prototyping on
Yash E
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simple but great book to get someone started on Arduino, especially Arduino Uno boards. I got myself an Arduino Kit sometime back and got a thick book with it to explain the working the board and some projects too. Few people advised me not to go with that book at the beginning as it was laced with mistakes. I was looking for a simple starter and found this. What could be more amazing than book written by the man behind Arduino itself?

I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to start with
  • Getting Started with Processing
  • Making Things Talk: Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
  • MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery
  • Arduino Cookbook
  • 30 Arduino Projects for the Evil Genius
  • Beginning Arduino
  • Learning Processing: A Beginner's Guide to Programming Images, Animation, and Interaction
  • Programming Interactivity: A Designer's Guide to Processing, Arduino, and Openframeworks
  • Physical Computing: Sensing and Controlling the Physical World with Computers
  • Bash Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Bash Users
  • Classic Shell Scripting: Hidden Commands that Unlock the Power of Unix
  • Creative Code: Aesthetics + Computation
  • Raspberry Pi User Guide
  • Programming Windows
  • Visualizing Data: Exploring and Explaining Data with the Processing Environment
  • Getting Started with Raspberry Pi
  • Debug It!: Find, Repair, and Prevent Bugs in Your Code
  • The Art of Electronics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »