Start by marking “Android: Golem (Identity, #1)” as Want to Read:
Android: Golem (Identity, #1)

Android: Golem (Identity #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  253 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
When a talented New Angeles Detective wakes up in bed with a woman whose name he can't recall, this seemingly harmless mystery indicates a much larger problem. After all, as one of the few bioroids in the New Angeles Police Department, Drake 3GI2RC isn't accustomed to forgetting... or even sleeping. But his personal issues are forced to wait when he and his human partner S ...more
Published November 29th 2011 by Fantasy Flight Games (first published October 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Android, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Android

Taddow
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great book- it reminded me a little like Blade Runner with the setting and mix of human vs. robot theme. The author does a great job of mixing several plots and seeing how they relate to each other. I am excited to read the next installment.
Dylan McNamee
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting twist on crime noir: the protagonist, Drake, is a bioroid, which is essentially a mostly-robotic cyborg but with aspects of a human's brain. The author decided to portray the perspective of a bioroid not too differently from the autistic protagonist in "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime". It was a quick read, and the book is well-written. There's nothing deep here, just an enjoyable immersive yarn.
James
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this novel as apart of getting to know Fantasy Flight Games' Android (cyberpunk - Shadowrun'esque) setting that we will use for an RPG game. I picked up this trilogy because the setup reminded me somewhat of the inverse of Asimov's robot trilogy.

I really enjoyed the book, although it is written in first-person which I normally do not like, but I really liked it here. The author does a great job of keeping you inside the character and experiencing the world through his perspective. The my
Efride
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
In my opinion, the best of this novel is its first person narration. I loved the characterisation of Drake and Shelly above all, and the fact that there are a number of women holding power in this book.
The setting is also interesting - even though I can't picture the vehicles (hoppers) not being somewhat ridiculous...
However, the plot is a bit weak. I think there are too many secondary characters and the relationships between them are revealed in a quite rushed way in the last pages of the book.
John
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: paper-copies
I would love to be able to tell everyone reading this that Android: Golem is a magnificent and incisive work of genius that is required reading in the cyberpunk – nay, in the SF! – canon. If I did tell you that, I’d be a huge liar: what I can truthfully tell you is that this is an enjoyable (and fairly undemanding) novel set in Fantasy Flight Games’ Android universe. If you enjoyed the board game, Android (or its cousins, Android: Inflitration and Android: Netrunner) and want to explore its worl ...more
Marie J
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Part Blade Runner, part I, Robot the story is set in the world of the LCG "Android : Netrunner" with Drake 3GI2RC, a boiroid working as a Detective in the NAPD.

How to truly describe the focus of the story... conspiracy, conspiracy, and more conspiracy! Who are foes, who are allies?

photo conspiracy.gif

Drake truly stirs a gigantic hornet's nest in this cyberpunk/crime/science-fiction novel with fast-paced action almost from the very firs chapter. Full of twists and turns, and bodies dropping from left to right, it's
Tobin
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I hesitated on this one. I read Freefall first as it was the highest rated of the Android novels. I had a problem though - I love the universe. I play all three games and love the richness of the theme and crossover characters. So, eventually, I picked this up.

While it wasn't high literature and plot-driven with some pretty thin characters the lead, Drake, was compelling. I like police procedurals, I love them. A lot. So Drake, as a cop, investigating various cases in a universe I already liked
Justin
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty good. It's most effective when it's a police procedural, especially in its cyberpunk setting, which is why I turned to it (I have no previous experience of Android Netrunner). It's also very good at conveying the thoughts of an artificial intelligence - the story is told in the first person by a bioroid (or android). At times it was like Data had become a homicide detective, which was actually quite good! Unfortunately, the book slipped a little bit in its action sequences, which I genera ...more
Krzysztof
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This has been a good read, though I think I preferred Free Fall - despite it being a much simpler story. Golem has an interesting premise, but it suffers from being part one of a trilogy (which may or may not ever see completion) - parts of it are drawn out instead of being dealt with quickly. The idea behind the book's action is fine, and it is well executed. The final combat scene seemed a bit too over-the-top, given the rest of the book. Also, Golem doesn't have the same "this is based on a b ...more
Gary Bingham
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I confess I wanted to love this book. I am a big fan of the card game and downloaded the snook to my kindle full of expectation.

The first chapter was awkward and full of references to the background that made me wince. I was disappointed but keep with and boy was I glad. I warmed for the android protagonist who earned my sympathy and in the end was as believable a character as a robot could be.

Not perfect by any means I did download the second book in the series immediately on completion.
Owen
Jan 06, 2016 added it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book is working on setting up a trilogy, with a grand conspiracy and deep questions about the nature of identity, but it's better when it's looking at those things out of the corner of its eye. I learn more about Drake's identity, and enjoy watching him work more, when he's doing his job and dealing with people. When the book does get into conspiracy mode, or have Drake talk to us directly about identity, it's much less deft in its work.
Cameron Crawford
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Focusing on the bio-roid part of the Android universe, this series takes one of the five aspects of the Android board game and delves into the concept of a "droid" with a soul. Unlike the character Floyd in the game, there are no issues of faith, which I would have liked to see explored a little bit more than the game allows, but it still is intriguing to have a noir styled story that has both a main plot and a McGuffin element of searching for self-identity.
Jeff
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Nicely told syfy adventure that has all the elements of a stylish noir mystery within syfy trappings. I enjoyed this book but seeing that this is only book one is disappointing to me. Will there be or is there a book two? I hope so because I rather want to know how this tale works out.
Jordan Steinhoff
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Surprisingly good take on the Android universe.

A step beyond standard license fic with an engaging character as the author explores the Bioroid side of the Android universe.

Has a bit of a Noire feeling to it and is a good detective story.

Looking forward to the second book.
Stephen
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! It's not great writing by any means but a thoroughly engaging read all the same.

Coming from the "Android" universe, and having just read "Neuromancer", I was expecting more Noir. It's more sci-fi than Noir / crime, but I enjoyed the boiroid pov.
Jason
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully pulpy, and thankfully doesn't stray too far into "too pulpy" territory. Goes to some pretty dark places for game-related fiction. Odom has a nice touch with fleshing out minor characters, and also keeps an appropriate amount of humor under the surface.
Cody
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read the dead tree version. Although the "crime novel told by an android" thing was interesting at first, by the end I was wishing for a narrator with a little more emotion and humor. Still, it was a fun read and I really like the classic cyberpunk feel of the Android universe.
Zap Riecken
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This hits all the sci-fi geeky needs I have. Additionally, it is based on a board game set in the same world. I don't know if it can get any more geeky for me. Good book and I have the second in the series on my night stand.
Kristýna Obrdlíková
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifka, favorites
Knížka psaná z pohledu bioroida a navíc v mém oblíbeném univerzu. Jedna z prvních anglických beletrií, co jsem kdy přečetla a moc se mi líbila. Naštěstí už doma přistál druhý svazek trilogie...
Ana Barbuta
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a good read up until the last chapter. The first-person perspective of an adroid was very interesting and refreshing. The plot twist was... not. I won't be reading the rest of this trilogy.
Scottie Mick
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cleverly written and kept me on my toes. Can't wait to dive into the sequel.
Ryan Pittell
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Too many cliches
Staticblaq
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Surprising good for a tie-in novel.
Alan Castree
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ip
Three stars because it's in the "Android" universe which is something I'm kinda into at the moment. Otherwise, the huge chunks of exposition shoveled on to the last few chapters mad me groan a bit.
Rob Olsson
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the tie in to the boardgame Android. Good characters and an interesting setting. Much more enjoyable to me than the previous Android novel, Free Fall.
Martin
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great bit of cyber punk made better as I play the LCG so its fun to see concepts from the book in the card game and vise versa
Yonatan
Jul 23, 2016
Jeroen Van Delft
Sep 07, 2016
  • Android: Free Fall
  • Ex-KOP (Juno Mozambe Mystery #2)
  • New Haven Blues (The Troubleshooter)
  • Dieselpunk ePulp Showcase
  • Destroying Angel
  • Element Zero (Revivors, #3)
  • Knuckleduster
  • Steelheart
  • Xenopath (Bengal Station, #2)
  • Fools
  • Replicant Night (Blade Runner, #3)
  • Vacant (Mindspace Investigations, #4)
  • Trouble and Her Friends
  • Society of the Mind
  • Eclipse Corona (A Song Called Youth, #3)
  • The Fourth Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #4)
  • Ghost in the Machine (Corwint Central Agent Files, #1)

aka Jordan Gray

Mel Odom is a bestselling writer for hire for Wizards of the Coast's Forgotten Realms, Gold Eagle's Mack Bolan, and Pocket's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel book lines. His debut SF novel Lethal Interface made the Locus recommended list . The Rover was an Alyx Award winner. He has also written
More about Mel Odom

Identity (3 books)
  • Android: Mimic (Identity, #2)
  • Android: Rebel (Identity, #3)