Start by marking “Code to Joy: The Four-Step Solution to Unlocking Your Natural State of Happiness” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Combining six decades of clinical experience with cutting-edge research, two acclaimed leaders in the field of psychology have developed a revolutionary approach to happiness—one that’s accessible and practical enough to apply at home, yet powerful enough to create a profoundly positive transformation in our lives. Doctors George Pratt and Peter Lambrou have been deliverin ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Code to Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Code to Joy

Wendy Lincoln
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
the premise of this book is that all of us have the ability to overcome issues that have damaged our ability to function. The author introduces concepts such as neuromuscular feedback, body polarity, and remapping beliefs.

My favorite part is that it is scientific in approach-not hippie-dippie spiritual. After having my share of failed run-ins with religious and self-proclaimed spiritual types I am leery of people who claim spiritual authority. Dr. Pratt's writing stayed 99% clear of spiritual o
Stephanie
I actually stopped reading this after an interesting discussion with someone who gets paid to listen to me whine and rant and muse. I was SO excited about the book, with its promise of unlocking my "natural state of happiness" which I SO wish I possessed. I feel like I live with someone who has been described as "genetically happy," while I fight the slide into the black hole over and over, pretty chronically. I wanted a book that would give me the epiphany "so THIS is how a person is naturally ...more
Pam
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The amazing part of this book is the results I feel in my life. Following the four-step process in this book has been a transformational experience. This was a reading assignment for an art business class and I didn't have more than mild expectations. This book is the science of our energy combined with the steps to let things go that hold you back in your life. I will read this book again. Although digging through old memories was difficult and heavy, the steps that I followed to let the negati ...more
Angria
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this book. In fact, among all the self-help books i have read so far, this is the only one i trust like a bible. I love the idea that we are all meant to be happy. Consciously, we try to be happy and our ultimate goal is to be happy in our life. No one in their right frame of mind would want to be a sad person. Anyone? However, the problem is, subconsciously, due to some previous microtraumatic experience which we might have already forgotten, we are held back which makes us lack of confi ...more
G
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Basically a bunch of half-proven horses*t that likely works the same way as reiki and other energy based healing practices. If you don't believe in any of that, don't bother with this book.

That said, I'm sure a lot of people do somehow get benefits out of those practices. But I highly doubt the reason those practices are ever effective is because we all have a "biofield" that gets it's polarity reversed. And how convenient that just about everything in modern life as well as all your negative em
Thomas Ansusinha
Right now I feel like this book has some good example stories, but not enough information on how to associate anything they might do for things that are specific to me. I was hoping for more of a self-help book -even if I did not agree with the methods.

So far, I haven't really seen anything regarding methods and I'm half-way through the book. I would have thought by the half-way point I would start getting into their approach and methods more than just identifying things that cause a person to b
Alison Bessesdotter
Never too late to recover

I started the exercise before the investigation process and felt an immediate lift. In 2 days I read this entire book and started the investigation and began practice immediately to address individual beliefs. The practices are simple and easy to follow. I can lament if only this information was available 40 years ago my life may have been different. But, it's different now and for that I am grateful.
Carolyn Forrester
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The protocol that Dr. George Pratt offers is truly helpful. It only takes a few minutes a day, but when I do it, it is truly helpful in grounding me and overcoming my emotional blocks. Love it!
Carolee Eubanks
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am not a fan, unfortunately... the first 94 pages (literally) are a cross between, "here are some awful things that might be depressing you -- let's explore that and dwell on it awhile" and an infomercial for how great the technique will be once you try it, but we won't be telling you what it is until later.

I was reading this because I'd gotten a copy in a giveaway once, not because I was specifically seeking help for a feeling of sadness or hopelessness. But I sure was closer to that headspac
Allison
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is different than what I expected. It includes simple exercises to get in touch with your core beliefs - specifically the ones that are limiting you.

There were way too many anecdotes along the lines of "Susan experienced ______. Then she did the four steps & found that she had thought _______ the whole time about herself without knowing! Now she is just fine."

Practical in some senses, a little loopy in others. It was a little too repetitive for me but I walked away with one or two exerc
Mary Gabel
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-changing
I love motivational books. But I love effective books more. Code to Joy delivers on its promise to "unlock your natural state of happiness." A beautifully written blend of story and science, you'll understand why you have areas that, no matter what you do, you continue to fail at—relationships, earning and keeping money, good health—whatever it is for you. Follow the 4 steps of the Code to Joy. Really take them on and do them and watch what happens in your life.
Dave Applegate
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm going to update this review after I've spent a few months practicing it. Until then, I feel Pratt is onto something. Code To Joy is the way of closing loose emotional and memory ends the way that David Allen is to work related ones. I find that removing these blocks makes me happier and more relaxed. I'd highly recommend this book to anyone trying to achieve peak performance. I cannot comment as to whether it fixes all of the issues it claims.
Alex Kent
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy to read, easy to digest, Code to Joy pulls together many of our modern self healing ideas into a four-step process. Happiness can be achieved through a simple, painless, drug-free regime carefully laid out by the authors, in a clear 1-2-3 technique, complete with explanations of how and why these steps work.

I will suggest it to others.
Amanda
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am thankful to the friend who recommended this book. I found it a little hokey - the arm test especially - but the other exercises were helpful. I would recommend this book to anyone who is mentally stuck.
Sara
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help
I skipped some chapters because there's just too much storytelling and it's boring. I'd rather have techniques or tips to help work with some of my issues. The simple steps shown in this book simply don't appeal to me. It's just not doing much for me... so yeah... i'm kind of abandoning this book.
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I stumbled upon this book when I was getting epubs from my library website. I am currently on page 84 and find the ideas so interesting. So far it is very easy to read.
Jeanne
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid. This method, used daily, can really change your life.
Shenandoah Smith
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
ok i guess i like the part with the elephant and the flea
Lynde
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easy, uplifting read. Encourages the reader to take a proactive approach to their attitude and gives exercises towards that goal that are simple and easy to implement.
Esther Bradley-detally
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Returned to library; i'm sure good, but .....
Soni
May 09, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
dropped reading..didnt find it interesting randomly went thru the remaining book some techniques mentioned were already known
Olga
Mar 18, 2016
Beatris
Jul 14, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The New Meditation Handbook: Meditations to Make Our Life Happy and Meaningful
  • The Four Things That Matter Most: A Book About Living
  • Wired For Joy: A Revolutionary Method for Creating Happiness from Within
  • The Herbal Home Remedy Book: Simple Recipes for Tinctures, Teas, Salves, Tonics, and Syrups
  • What's the Economy For, Anyway?: Why It's Time to Stop Chasing Growth and Start Pursuing Happiness
  • The No-Grain Diet: Conquer Carbohydrate Addiction and Stay Slim for the Rest of Your Life
  • How to Heal with Color
  • The Healing Power of Mind: Simple Meditation Exercises for Health, Well-Being, and Enlightenment (Buddhayana Series, VII)
  • Healing Into Life and Death
  • How Did I Get Here?: Finding Your Way to Renewed Hope and Happiness When Life and Love Take Unexpected Turns
  • Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns
  • The First 30 Days: Your Guide to Any Change (and Loving Your Life More)
  • Remembering the Future: The Path to Recovering Intuition
  • Stay Calm And Content : No Matter What Life Throws At You
  • My Orange Duffel Bag
  • The Great Work: Our Way into the Future
  • Panic & Anxiety Relief: The No B.S. Guide to Regaining Control of Your Fear
  • The Cortisol Connection: Why Stress Makes You Fat and Ruins Your Health � And What You Can Do About It

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »