Start by marking “First Steps In Counselling: A Student's Companion for Basic Introductory Courses” as Want to Read:

This book is for students on basic introduction to counselling courses from around 20 to 100 hours duration. In his highly acclaimed approachable style, Sanders covers all relevant areas of training at this level - theory, personal development and building helping skills.

Contents:
What is Counselling?; Where do Ideas in Counselling Come From?; The Importance of
Paperback, Third Edition, 152 pages
Published 2002 by PCCS Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about First Steps In Counselling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Steps In Counselling

Start your review of First Steps In Counselling: A Student's Companion for Basic Introductory Courses
Ellie Rose
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a recommended read on an Introductory Counselling course that I attended and a book that my tutor had raved about. Although I am no longer embarking on that course, I still consider it a worthwhile read and can understand how, for those continuing with their counselling courses it'd act as a base to build their learning on from.

Pete Sanders is clearly knowledgeable in the field and has devised a book that not only informs, but educates the reader. Split into useful and sensible areas
Zlatka
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was recommended this book on introductory course. It is a good overview, it has similar flow to the course I went to. I would recommend it to anyone interested. It's on introductory level, so it's not only for people studying for counselling, but I think it would give you a good idea if you were seeking a counsellor or if you just wanted to improve your skills (and I think anyone would benefit to certain extend from it...)
Paul Brown
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
One of those does what it says on the tin kind of text books; good overall introduction to counselling written in an accessible fashion and is highly interactive as it engages the student in written exercises as it goes along. My main grievance with Sanders’ book was the layout; panels of quotes and lyrics to illustrate his points dotted across the pages really broke up the flow of the text. I would have personally have preferred a few illustrations instead, maybe some one liner cartoons to get ...more
Di
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great introduction to counselling without entering in too much detail. I absolutely LOVE the author awareness on topics such as discrimination and prejudice. He is a white man and is fully aware of his power compared to the rest of the planet and this is what truly made a difference for me. It's also my first book on the topic as I am starting my training next month and I will definitely refer back to it if needed.
John
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Useful
Emma Shaw
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really great introduction to the basics of counselling. The sections are really clear and easy to understand and the information is consistently valuable.
Michael
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a pretty high rating as it answered just about all the questions I had about person-centred counselling at an introductory level, gives a very good over-view of other counselling approaches and is written in an engaging and interactive way.

Interactive, because there are side panels with exercises, either written, reflective or experiential, to help illustrate the points in the text.

A good foundational book.
Paul Scott

• Ascend (Trylle, #3)
  • Torn (Trylle, #2)
  • The Rotation Diet
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?
  • Looking for JJ (Jennifer Jones, #1)
  • Born for Love: Why Empathy Is Essential--and Endangered
  • How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
  • The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook
  • Keto Diet for Beginners: 30-Day Keto Meal Plan for Rapid Weight Loss. Ketogenic Meal Prep Cookbook Full of Easy to Follow Recipes! Lose up to 20 Pounds in 30 Days!
  • Unshame: Healing trauma-based shame through psychotherapy
  • Embroideries
  • Night Boat to Tangier
“It is in the nature of helping and counselling to be a process moving towards something rather than arriving at a state of completion.” 2 likes