Start by marking “Flanders Point” as Want to Read:
Flanders Point

Flanders Point

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  156 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A gawky teen trying to survive her parent's divorce and her young, restless English teacher find themselves drawn to each other and under increasing emotional pressure as they struggle not to cross any lines until graduation day. A first novel."
Published July 1st 1997 by St. Martin's Press (first published June 28th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Flanders Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flanders Point

Naksed
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it

"If you think in terms of teaching as a shared journey of discovery, instead of just a job, look what's involved: sharing of knowledge, hunger for understanding, desire for approval, opening of another spirit, penetration of one mind into another, the mystery of the unknown, the pleasure of success, mental intimacy in shared moments of revelation, maybe even climactic moments... Internal changes, growth, expansion, opening, tapping into unconscious longings-well, most of those words describe an
Colleen Rue
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book written by my late friend,Jacquie Gordon,wich I admit I could identify with,as during my senior year at a coed private school,I had a crush on one of my teachers.His first name also happend to be Brian.I never owned a copy of the book,rather borrowing it from my library.I read it in one night.My friend wrote a beautiful and moving book,detailing the ups and downs of the life of a high school senior.Mr. Johnson was funny,smart,and adorable,or so I thought back then.Charlo ...more
Piepie
Written beautifully - slow in parts - but I still read this in just a couple of days.

One of my favorite things to read is professor/student romances. I know it's a totally taboo subject in the news, but there's just something about reading about forbidden love that I really like!

The ending is very open-ended - I don't feel that all the ends were tied up, but it's the sort of ending that leaves you still thinking about the characters... I like when I'm so invested in the story that I still think
Stephanie A.
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I did a lot of pre-Goodreads research in an attempt to find a student/teacher novel that wouldn't be all about the morality police, sexual manipulation or a lusty schoolgirl crush, but rather about a connection between individuals. It led me here. Despite some horrifically graphic scenes that have nothing to do with the (delayed until after graduation) student/teacher relationship, that was extremely well written and close to everything I've ever wanted out of this particular scenario, with bonu ...more
Laurie
I picked this up because it was on a list of books that dealt with the student/teacher romantic relationship. I have a penchent for these, because no one could have been more in love than I with a high school teacher. But now as a teacher myself I am super critical of these types of tales and the perspective they take. This is perhaps why I feels so strange commenting on this tale.

First off, this story was really well written. Characters were developed, and the third person omniscient narration
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very beautiful book. It is slow-paced, but I never found it boring; I was completely immersed in the world. I like the fact that there was no overt sensationalism of the student/teacher relationship, which I (having read maybe a handful of similarly themed stories) find is easily done with these kind of situations in books. It's never sleazy. I also loved the way literature was incorporated in the story.
Ambyr
Oct 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had a love/hate relationship with this book. It was written decently, but I guess I have high standards, especially when it comes to teacher/student-affair novels. It just kinda...sucked. Blah.
Stacey O'driscoll
Nov 27, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: romance
over a year ive hunted for this book. a year!! and now i finally have it. it came yesterday. i sqealed when my mam told me i had a parcel.SQUEALED!!
Cesca
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***THERE'S FINALLY A KINDLE EBOOK VERSION***

I am going to sound cliché, but I don't care: There are no proper words to describe how truly beautiful and magical and wonderful this book is. I can go on and on about how perfect her writing was from character development to structure to setting like I do with other books, but this book is like NO OTHER. It deserves more so I won't. It was elegant and poetic without sounding like pretentious purple prose.

Those who have rated it low were probably look
Tatiana
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this when I was 15, and have read it 7 times since then. I remember being able to relate to it because I had the most ridiculous, long-term (and rather pathetic) crush on my science teacher. Now to be honest, I don't exactly remember how I stumbled on this book, but I'm glad I did. It's a slow, quiet story set in the 1950's and it's of a young girl attending an all-girls school and falls in love with her new English teacher.

But there is so much more to this tale because time
Haritha
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
To my surprise, this book was far from what I expected. When I picked up Flanders Point I expected it to be a cheap thrill like all the other romance novels that I skim through once in a while. What I instead found was a book, which is clearly written by someone who has a great love for literature. The best part that I liked about the book were the constant references to poetry and classic literature, along with quotes to set the mood. I made a compilation of those I need to look up later. While ...more
Noelle
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really, really enjoyed Flanders Point.

Teacher/student romances have always been a guilty pleasure of mine, but I'd always found that any movies or literature that delved into the subject were heavily sensationalized with cop outs that excuse the characters.

This story handled the taboo with care, letting Brian and Charlotte's relationship relationship develop slowly and realistically. Nothing was over the top or sensationalized.

Although I felt like the ending was a bit rushed and unsatisfying,
DoctorM
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: brdytw-girls
Not the usual teacher-student love story. It's set in the mid-1950s, for one thing, and the two central figures do wait to discover that they do in fact want one another. Nonetheless, a lovely heroine who's out of place in the world of the 1950s--- too smart, too tall, too fiercely intent on solitude. Well-written, even though Jacquie Gordon does have a habit of sometimes telling where she should be showing. A thoughtful novel, and one where the other adult characters are far less horrified at t ...more
Katherine (KWBookReviews.com)
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: taboo
I am really into reading the whole taboo relationship kind of deal and when I saw this book was about a teacher and a student, I knew I had to read it. But by the end I discovered this book is so much more than a taboo relationship. It is about a girl growing up and finding her own way to navigate the world.

I loved this book! I thought the characters were will developed and the pacing was perfect. I pretty much liked everything about it. I would tell you more but I think you should just go out
Vanessa
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, I liked the book but the ending didn't do it for me. The book was kind of magical to me. Char was such an awesome MC and what I really liked about her is that she was so in touch with nature but I liked so much about her in general. The ending, though. It was good but I feel so unresolved as far as her parents go. A little ambiguity at the end isn't bad but I felt as though the epilogue was too vague and I was left pretty unsatisfied. But, great book.
M
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This is one of those books that I always wanted to read when I'd scour Amazing for books under "student/teacher relationships" or "Juvenile Fiction > Social Issues" and all of that -- before Amazon was quite as big as it is now.

Since that time, I've read a handful of really enticing and interesting takes on the student/teacher trope, and unfortunately, this was not one of the better ones.
Emily
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
My lack of knowledge of great authors of poems and literature and philosophy inhibited me to give this book five stars, but overall it was a solid read. This book also reminded me how much I dislike reading about love relationships and how I probably shouldn't read these types of books again.....ha.
Becca
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was ok

I had a love hate relationship with this book. It was really slow for most of the beginning and at some points it was hard to keep picking it up. However the ending was pretty good and made up for the boringness in the beginning. But I still feeling like the book was missing something.
Kathryn
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: campus-novel
Has the same feel as I Capture the Castle, where the setting plays such an important role, but they are completely different stories of girls growing up.
I still have to give I Capture the Castle preference, but this wasn't bad.
Erica
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely stunning. I couldn't stop reading this novel, and I don't think I've ever read a book so slowly. Every sentence is so beautiful that I want to go back and re-read it. I filled up 7 pages in my pillow book of quotes from this novel.

Read this book and shudder.
Melanie
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it
it was ok nothing special.
Maria
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Something very different than the other teacher / student books. Good book.
Dini Annav
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good story, I felt like watching literary movies like Little Women or Pride and Prejudice. I wish the ending could tell more
Molly Cunningham
  • Taming the Beast
  • Love Lessons
  • Everything Beautiful in the World
  • The Wood of Suicides
  • Forbidden Lessons (Forbidden Love #1)
  • Sweetest Taboo
  • Schooling
  • The Low Notes (Wexley Falls, #1)
  • Innocents
  • A Season of Eden
  • Teach Me
  • Lost In Light (Teacher's Pet, #1)
  • What Mr. Mattero Did
  • Broken Ever After (Ever After, #1)
  • The Professor (The Professor, #1)
  • Lo's Diary

“If you think in terms of teaching as a shared journey of discovery, instead of just a job, look what's involved: sharing of knowledge, hunger for understanding, desire for approval, opening of another spirit, penetration of one mind into another, the mystery of the unknown, the pleasure of success, mental intimacy in shared moments of revelation, maybe even climactic moments... Internal changes, growth, expansion, opening, tapping into unconscious longings-well, most of those words describe an erotic relationship. If you hung them all on a clothesline and picked only three, you'd have enough to produce a spark, a thin column of smoke, maybe even a small flame.” 0 likes