Start by marking “Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things” as Want to Read:
Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things

Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  364 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things is a valuable resource for transforming ordinary objects into the extraordinary. With over 80 solutions and bonus applications at your disposal, you will be ready for almost any situation.

Do you know how to make something that can tell whether the $20 bill in your wallet is a fake? Or how to generate battery power with simple household items
Published September 2nd 2003 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things

Miles
Aug 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, but was a little disappointed. Perhaps it's just a sign that I'm sneakier than average, more inclined to think out of the box, but most of the things that made it into the book I had already thought of, read about online, etc. A great many of the uses described were also quite impractical. Not exactly a bad book, but it could have been much better. If you've got to read it, try not to go into it with high hopes.
Brian
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Good, but unless you have multiple watch batteries a cassette player and other obsolete technologies, this may be too outdated. It was published in 03, but references a lot of things I don't have around any more. 3 for the stuff I didn't know though.
Daniel Stern
Oct 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I bought this hoping for some future science activities to do with my kid, but most of them I won't be able to do. While I'm sure this book was great a couple of decades ago, it should be noted that the "everyday things" aren't so every day anymore. Tape Recorders... VHS tapes, etc. (And who needs a "VHS Rewinder" lol? Telephone wire? Wire-Controlled Toy Car? AM/FM Portable Radio. Even pennies are non existent in Canada. the things are not "everyday" things now, and were already used a lot less ...more
Faranae
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
My copy has a lot of errata - missing diagrams and such. Was vaguely familiar with most of the project concepts, having grown up with Boys Life magazine and a millwright father. Still, kind of fun, if now getting a bit dated.
Esther:)
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This one was the best !!!
Andrew
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
This is another one of those tinker and hack everyday objects which I find so fascinating. However this book trades off complexity (you do not solder electrical components, you just wrap wire around them) for accessibility (for example it refers to using pennies - these are US pennies which have a different alloy composition to UK pennies so its impossible to conduct this experiment).
The book however is an interesting source of ideas and suggestions and for that it is a good read - though some
Astrid Yrigollen
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, nonfiction
This is a another one of those cute project books for you and your child or for yourself if you like tinkering and making small gadgets.
Do not be fooled though by it's simplistic drawings and 7th grade text, there are also larger applications to a lot of these projects if one cares to expand on them.
Julie
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Okay so I learned how to origami a cup and make a compass out of my watch but spending hours tearing LED lights out of electronics and bulk buying various kinds of batteries is not practical for me soooooo...
Lora
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Now I can make a sparking arc with my car battery to start a fire!! And...there are some great in-the-kitchen basic items (like the homemade fire extinguisher) that are super for little kids to do and learn about science.
Kimberly Ann
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Learn to make: Milk plastic, Milk glue, fruit batteries, coin batteries, home security alarms, fire extinguishers, gel pack, magnetic bill verifier & many other useful gadgets out of common household items.
Josh
Jun 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Regrettably simplistic; the author's books continue to titillate with covers and blurbs, but fail to deliver any content of value.
Martin
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun little book with lots of rudimentary reuse and repurposing projects. Bonus for the casein plastic recipe.
Electro Duck
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pretty good. Mini Weapons is better.
Fran
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Too cool!
Nicole
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
good for a gift to a teen
Jaguar
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the survival stuff at the end of the book. It included some survival websites as well. I liked this one better than Sneaky Green Uses for Everyday Things.
Matthew
Jul 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
You want some good things to learn concerning survival, this book will give you plenty to use and remember.
Joel
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had some cool & possibly usefull things, but i've not done anything yet.
Katherine
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
It had some interesting ideas but nothing that blows you out of the water.
Angus
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Build fun toys for nerds or just dumb shit for idiots. I'm kidding this is a fun book to have and use.
Nono
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book for the gadgety guy. All sorts of fun projects with great illustrations. Sure to appeal to the DIYer.
Michael
Apr 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-general
Total nerd book that I will most likely never do or use.
Maxhanafi Hanafi
Sep 28, 2016
A
Jul 25, 2012
  • Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things NOT Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • Backyard Ballistics: Build Potato Cannons, Paper Match Rockets, Cincinnati Fire Kites, Tennis Ball Mortars, and More Dynamite Devices
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Holidays
  • The Action Hero's Handbook
  • How to Build a Robot Army: Tips on Defending Planet Earth Against Alien Invaders, Ninjas, and Zombies
  • Mind Hacks: Tips & Tricks for Using Your Brain
  • How To Fossilise Your Hamster: And Other Amazing Experiments For The Armchair Scientist
  • Electronic Gadgets for the Evil Genius
  • The Experts' Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • Asimov Laughs Again: More Than 700 Jokes, Limericks and Anecdotes
  • The Hungry Scientist Handbook: Electric Birthday Cakes, Edible Origami, and Other DIY Projects for Techies, Tinkerers, and Foodies
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College: College
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • mammalabilia
  • Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things: 2,317 Ways to Save Money and Time
  • The Greatest Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • Geek Dad: Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share
  • The Man Who Went to the Far Side of the Moon: The Story of Apollo 11 Astronaut Michael Collins

Nonfiction Deals

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
    $18.95 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
  • A Natural History of the Senses (Vintage)
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir
    $7.95 $2.49
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99