Start by marking “HTML5: The Missing Manual” as Want to Read:
HTML5: The Missing Manual

HTML5: The Missing Manual

(Missing Manuals)

HTML5 is more than a markup language—it's a dozen independent web standards all rolled into one. Until now, all it's been missing is a manual. With this thorough, jargon-free guide, you'll learn how to build web apps that include video tools, dynamic drawings, geolocation, offline web apps, drag-and-drop, and many other features. HTML5 is the future of the Web, and with th ...more
Published August 26th 2011 by O'Reilly Media (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about HTML5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HTML5

Start your review of HTML5: The Missing Manual
Jamie Belanger
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought this to get up to speed on HTML5 since most web coding I do uses a mish-mash of pretty much every previous version. I rather liked the Missing Manual approach. This was well-written and easy to follow. Gave me lots of ideas for things I can update in my HTML code.
Kyle
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-design
I know everyone on goodreads is dying to know that I read this guidebook.
Joseph Leskey
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: half the world's population, as long as they meet certain criteria
This really was a very fine programming reference. A little outdated, but that doesn't matter too much.
Neil Dauphinee
This is a good book for anyone who wants to explore the possibilities of HTML5. What I took away from the book, however, was that until a larger number of browsers get up to speed (notably Internet Explorer), HTML5 is not a wise choice for building a new (or updating an existing) website.

Heads-up: The is an example driven book - not a tutorial driven book. I was looking for the latter and bought the 'missing manual' offering because other 'missing manual' texts I've used were tutorial driven.

Tha
NJ Wong
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matthew MacDonald is one of my favourite IT authors, and this book does not disappoint. I always like the way he uses very useful and practical solutions to real-life programming problems as his teaching examples. And despite the fact that this book is called "HTML5", I actually learnt quite a bit about CSS and Javascript in this book. Highly recommended.
Mike
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a decent overview of HTML5. Not really a programming guide, but gives a good introduction to all of the features.
Shows a dislike for Internet Explorer fairly often, which got a little tiresome.
Anton Antonov
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
A gem for every newbie web guy.
Russ
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-books
Amied at people with knowledge of HTML/CSS/Javascript who want to get up to speed with the new symanics and features that have come about with HTML5.
Sonq
Jan 08, 2017 is currently reading it
this book is good
William
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I have never been disappointed in the Missing Manual series. Easy to follow, pertinent material. As a bonus, the author provides a review of CSS and JavaScript (essential elements for HTML5).
Steve Lackey
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Decent overview, but little coverage of new features like Canvass and the new File system and Data APIs.
Mellodi
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one was a good start for those of you wanting to learn. However, like any reference book like this. Don't rely on just one source of information.
Dignesh Patel

• HTML5 for Web Designers
  • Γιαννούλης Χαλεπάς. Ο μύθος της νεοελληνικής γλυπτικής
  • Teacher in Space: Christa McAuliffe and the Challenger Legacy
  • Παραρλάμα και άλλες ιστορίες του Δημοσθένη Βουτυρά
  • Μια νέα εξωτερική πολιτική για την Ελλάδα : Στα πλαίσια της βαθμιαίας ανεξαρτητοποίησης της Ευρώπης από τις ΗΠΑ
  • Το Γιούσουρι και άλλες φανταστικές ιστορίες
  • Paradise Lost: Smyrna, 1922
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Queen Of Lies

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Matthew MacDonald is a science and technology writer with well over a dozen books to his name. He's particularly known for his books about building websites, which include a do-it-from-scratch tutorial (Creating a Website: The Missing Manual), a look at cutting-edge HTML5 (HTML5: The Missing Manual), and a WordPress primer (WordPress: The Missing Manual). He's also written a series of books about ...more

Missing Manuals (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Access 2007: The Missing Manual
  • Access 2010: The Missing Manual
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • CSS3: The Missing Manual
  • Dreamweaver CS3 The Missing Manual
  • JavaScript The Missing Manual
  • JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual
  • Mac OS X: Tiger Edition (The Missing Manual)
  • Office 2008 for Macintosh: The Missing Manual: The Missing Manual
  • Photoshop Cs5: The Missing Manual

News & Interviews

“Because HTML is a living language, an HTML page will never become obsolete and stop working. HTML pages will never use a version number (even in the doctype), and web developers will never need to “upgrade” their markup from one version to another to get it to work on new browsers. By the same token, new features may be added to HTML at any time.” 0 likes
“All the semantic elements share a distinguishing feature: They don’t really do anything.” 0 likes