Start by marking “Build Your Own Website the Right Way Using HTML & CSS” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Build Your Own Website...

Ian^^Lloyd

Build Your Own Website the Right Way Using HTML & CSS

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  177 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews

With over 60,000 copies sold since its first edition, this SitePoint best-seller has just had a fresh update to include recent advances in the web industry.

With the first two editions coming highly recommended by established, leading web designers and developers, the third edition with all its extra goodies will continue that trend. Also fully updated to include the latest

Published (first published May 2nd 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Build Your Own Website the Right Way Using HTML & CSS

Jaret Manuel
Ok but web standardistas html css is much better and teamtreehouse.com or Jeff Ways' 30 days HTML CSS are great primers.
Mike
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My technical book collection consists of almost nothing but books published by O'Reilly. O'Reilly books are so good, it usually isn't worth the trouble to browse through all the other books on the bookshelf to figure which one to buy. Still, if I had to pick a favorite publisher for web technology, it would be sitepoint. The problem is they just haven't published many books.

I think "Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way" is the absolutely best book on the market to teach you the philosophy behin
Trisha Cornelius
In this book written for beginners Ian Lloyd presents the basic concepts of html and css. Overall it is fairly comprehensive and fairly well-written.

A couple of things that could be improved upon:
In the chapter on Jquery no explanation of syntax is given whatsoever, and while the book purports to build on markup that was written in an earlier chapter, an important technical aspect is glossed over with regard to using the #ids from the form processing code.

All in all, it's a good beginners book
Shaphron
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to start learning web building
Recommended to Shaphron by: Parlicoot
Shelves: web-stuff, i-own-it
Very useful primer for learning the basics of XHTML and CSS, and it points you in the right direction on where to go next. You don't learn any bad habbits, as the title says - you learn the "Right Way". The only detriment is that it doesn't go very far with the subnject matter - but then, it is a broad subject, and it is written for beginners (and those who want to make sure they have a solid foundation).
Ida
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious beginning web designer
this book was much more helpful than any software based web design book I have been asked to pick up for school. By focusing on the languages you are using and compatibility standards, it gives a solid foundation for building more skills, rather than a scaffolding for cobbling together web pages. The one thing it does skimp on is relative div positioning, and the blog chapter is a bit weak. That's why I am moving on to Rachel Andrew's HTML Utopia.
Trish
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very, very useful in basics for building a website. I'm not saying that this is the only book one would need--in fact, I would suggest reading several others to see what you're missing. I learned useful things from other books, but realized that without the background given in this book, I would have been lost, or struggling. Good job, great background, thanks to the author, and the editors.
David Hinckley
May 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone starting into web design or development
This was a really great introduction to building websites using good code. It doesn't go into incredible depth into anything specifically, but gives a good foundation into how to do a lot of useful things, then points to additional resources to learn more in-depth. I came out of the book with much more confidence building sites and a good idea of the next steps I needed to take.
Steven
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steven by: Paul Boag
This book is a great introduction to web development. It is a little slow in the first chapter but quickly picks up and presents the material well in subsequent sections. I even learned a thing or two and I have been developing websites for a decade.
Erik
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great resource for building a web site for any noobs to web design. Used it to learn CSS while working on my own web site overhaul. It also improved my html and helped me to build a site the can be easily redesigned in the future rather than requiring a complete recoding.
Mindi
Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book because it gave me a really good foundation of HTML and using CSS as well. It didn't go too far in depth in any one particular area... so I can tell I will need to get other books to target specific topics.
Kristi
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know this is important so I'm trying to have a good attitude. It's the most informative of the 4 I checked out...
For a how to book that covers a subject I've resisted for years, it's pretty darn good. Almost done... then I'll read it again and apply as I go.
Andrew Fearn
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computing
This book is a good introduction into creating web sites and I believe I could create a decent looking web site based on the information just in the book.

It may possibly try to cover too many topics, and possibly could have spent more time just covering html 5 and css.
Nathalie
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a good book if you want to learn HTML and CSS. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. It did help that I first spent an afternoon reading about the rudimentals of HTML and CSS on such websites as htmldog.com

Kimberly
Nice examples to get a feel for web coding, but only a beginner book. Feels like a very basic self-taught course.
Dave Visaya
essential book for web developing
Mikhail GEYER
My first book on HTML/CSS. Not the best.
Bhavya
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for beginners! It is very interactive, easy to follow and fun to read.
Heather
I wouldn't recommend this book as a reference, but definitely a good book for newbies - provides clear information explained in a way that makes it easy for everyone to understand.
Ferenc
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Simple explanations for people with no or little computing background, it will probably bore more experienced computer users and programmers. Covers essential xhtml and css.
Jessica
May 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-design
I didn't like this book very much at all. It has some good information that I was excited to learn, but it is now obsolete since blogspot discontinue their FTP service.
Francesca Tessari
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ottimo manuale per chi vuole cominciare a studiare html e css. Spiegazioni semplici ed esempi concreti, ma mi �� dispiaciuto che le jquery fossero appena accennate.
Eric
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book provides a general picture of website building. As a book for guiding people to more advanced web building knowledge, it serves it's purpose well.
Hazel
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for beginners like myself.
Lauren
This book was really helpful for creating my website for my IT coursework.
Adam
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really the information I was hoping to get out of this book, but probably is a good resource for true beginners to web development.
Nigel Francis
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very useful book and easy to follow. Good recommendations on add-ons to include in your library. Covers all you need to know to get an affective website up and running. NF.
Leo Polovets
Okay for novices, poor of everyone else. Has some random sections, like integrating Blogger with your site (who cares? what does this have to do with HTML and CSS?)
Brent Mair
Dec 27, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, abandoned
So far so good. Rather basic so it is likely a good start for newbies. It doesn't address HTML5 but I'm guessing most starter books won't for another year.
Monica
  • Sexy Web Design
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
  • HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide)
  • The Design of Sites: Patterns for Creating Winning Web Sites
  • HTML and XHTML Pocket Reference
  • HTML5 & CSS3 For The Real World
  • The Web Designer's Idea Book Volume 2: More of the Best Themes, Trends and Styles in Website Design
  • Learning PHP 5
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS