Start by marking “Beaches” as Want to Read:
Beaches

Beaches

Loudmouthed, redheaded Cee Cee Bloom has her sights set on Hollywood. Bertie White, quiet and conservative, dreams of getting married and having children. In 1951, their childhood worlds collide in Atlantic City. Keeping in touch as pen pals, they reunite over the years ... always near the ocean.

Powerful and moving, this novel follows Cee Cee and Bertie's extraordinary
Published June 15th 2004 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published June 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Beaches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beaches

Start your review of Beaches
Steph
Nov 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
Rebecca McNutt
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent novel of friendship, filled with nostalgia and vibrant imagery. Both main characters were complex and original, and it was a really intriguing little novel to read.
Ladyslott
Having seen the movie Beaches more times than I can count, I was looking forward to the book. I am therefore sorry to say that I didnt like it that much.

The basic story stays the same: Cee Cee Bloom and Bertie White (Hillary in the movie) form an unlikely friendship when they are 10 and & 7 years old (respectively). Through many years and personal hardships they remain friends, until a tragic illness brings them together.

What didnt I like about this book? Cee Cee Bloom is not a very nice
Rachel
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like the film.
loved it as much as i love the film. beautiful story about a beautiful friendship and what you'd do for the friend you love most; that has become your family.
Jinky
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
**Contains adult language and content**
(book I read from actually has a different bookcover image, but I couldn't find it, original '85 hardcover edition, and honestly I like this paperback cover better)

"1951. They meet as children under the boardwalk in Atlantic City. Cee Cee Bloom, with a Brillo pad of red hair, a knock-out voice and a sparkle that demands attention, is performing in a kiddie show. Bertie White is from a conventional family with traditional values, but she finds herself
Heather
I really enjoyed this book. The relationship between the two women was real; it wasn't pretty, simple, or common. It was deep, complicated, and that made the book even better. There were parts which I felt extreme disappointment; but not because the book was bad or so-so, but because I wanted more for both women. This book really kept going and made me feel a lot for the characters, which I haven't had in awhile.
Karen
Mar 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
Beaches is probably my all time favorite friendship movie. I was so looking forward to reading this book to learn more about the characters, but it was not good. I did not like the Bertie character at all. Way too week and the Cee Cee character was too filthy mouth. This book was more about sex and such strong language more so than the friendship that was the basis of the movie.
❤Marie Gentilcore
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, saw-movie, 2018
I enjoyed reading this book. Beaches is one of my favorite movies of all time and while the book did not have as much of an emotional punch as I remember the movie having, Im glad I read it. ...more
Nathan Schumer
This is one of my favorite books. Ever!
For those who have not read, or watched the movie, the book is set between 1951 and 1983. It follows a relationship between two very different girls: Cee Cee Bloom, a loud mouth/potty mouthed red head who meets the acquaintance of a girl who is different in every way: Bertie. She comes from a rich family, speaks properly, with wonderful manners and very smart.
They met under a boardwalk on a beach in Atlantic City, after Bertie lost her mother and Aunt.
Cee
Tiff
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite chick flicks, I found the book to be heartwarming as well.
Shalini M
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long long time ago, in a faraway land, I was in the final year of my engineering course. Most of the batchmates were getting our passports made (in a bright eyed anticipation), for which we needed to travel to Chandigarh, where the nearest passport office was located. So, I and one of my best friends, did the same. In that pre-digital age, it sometimes could be a two-day job, and we needed to stay overnight there, which we did at the home of an aunt of hers. Later that night, we ended up ...more
Diane
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You are the wind beneath my wings..........Leigh Ann. Always remember Dirty Dancing, She's Out of Control, Can't Buy Me Love, Gone with the Wind, Titanic, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and Romeo and Juliet while playing Marshall Fields. I credit myself with your introduction to Coach and Kate Spade purses, Clinique makeup and Victoria's Secret underwear. Your are welcome, Justin. Love you!
Amber Court
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read so much better than the movie but arent all books better than the movie !? ...more
Kirsty Sneddon
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When i came onto the comment section I expected everyone to be praising this book to pieces, but was I wrong. Personally I loved 'Beaches', I just couldn't put it down and thought the pacing of the story was wonderful. I liked how it switched back to 1983 and how it draws into that year at the end of the book. The only thing that bothered me was Bertie's character. SPOILER....I mean she thinks she hears her husband sleeping with CeeCee in the next room and what does she do? go lie on the bed and ...more
Kari Loeser
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time, along with the movie (Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey). It is also my best friend's favorite -- which is great, because the book is all about the power of a lifetime friend.
Sara
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book and can't wait to see the movie now. I had never even heard of either before but happened to pick the book up and now it is one of my favorites. It is a great story and I will definitely recommend it to many!
Maria
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a lot different than the movie which i saw many years ago first. Very touching story though. Great to read if you have a best friend.
Tracie
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Read it way before the movie came out and loved it. The movie did the book justice, so if you've seen it but haven't read it give it a shot.
Michelle
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite films and this book is awesome also, just as good as the film. Totally sobbed my way through it.
zhen^^
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
♥♥it's good! and I like the two character in this novel. It's good at the last part because I cant help to cry! but in all I think it's good but not that great!
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
After seeing the movie WAY more times than I would like to admit - I had to read the book.
Michelle
Kimberly
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Sometimes the movie is better. This is the case with Beaches.

The basics are all here in the book: the two friends meeting on the Boardwalk, the pen pal relationship, the adult turmoil. Cee Cee is a foul-mouthed singer who manages to make it big. Bertie (Hillary in the film) is...well, I don't know what she is. She doesn't seem to have any direction in this book, other than being Michael's wife. And that is the big problem with the book, because the characters don't really feel like emotional
Debbie Henderson
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
A one day read! I loved the movie (makes me cry EVERY time!) and thought I'd enjoy seeing where the screenplay came from. The basic storyline was there however the characters were definitely enhanced by the actresses playing them as Cee Cee was much more lovable in the adaptation.
I enjoyed reading the different perspectives in the story such as John and Michael (Cee Cee and Bertie's husbands) as they had more to say throughout the book instead of always seeing things from Cee Cee and Bertie's
Candice Flores
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my absolute favorite movies. I have watched it a million times since I was a kid. I never knew it was a book until I got this app! I dont usually read books after Ive watched the movie because its hard to get through since I already know what the characters look like and what happens but I figured if I loved watching the movie over and over I would probably enjoy the book. And I was right! It was beautiful. Lots of differences from the movie but a lot of similarities was well. Now ...more
Anne Afshar
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book probably around the time it came out. Since I just saw the movie again I wanted to see what was changed in from the book. So much was changed from this book about unconventional best friends, who were so unlike each other and from different backgrounds. What is amazing to me is a friend that close that comes to the aid of her friend at the end of her life. Tear jerker for sure, movie and book!
Cassandra
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For all the people who say the movie was better and the book wasn't good were wrong! If you're a fan of the movie you'll like the book. I can't say which is better since they are different. It's not reading the storyline from the book word for word. The characters are the same (unlike some other reviews I do think CeeCee was likeable as in the movie). I found the differing story lines and similarities interesting and entertaining.
Susan
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bertie and Cee Cee meet as children and become pen pal friends. Their friendship grows as the years pass by. Sometimes they were personally there while the other was going through a tough time....and sometimes it was letters that got them through. There is conflict and even a time where they aren't friends.....but love and friendship win out and they return to their amazing friendship that lasts for a lifetime.
Claire Pistek
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easy summer reading at its best. Sure I've seen the movie, but of course the book was way different and a whole lot better. Classic story of opposites attract friendship that endures over 30 years of whatever life throws at them. Sit back, relax, cry, laugh and just enjoy yourself with this easy read.
rams 💕💕
I've watched this movie my whole life because of my mother so when normally I read the book. I was wrong to guess like normal the book would be better than the movie. I was wrong, so very wrong. The writing is very dragged on and just kinda boring at time. I did enjoy it though, but the characters act much different and worse here than they do it in the movie.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Braveheart
  • Riding in Cars with Boys: Confessions of a Bad Girl Who Makes Good
  • Legally Blonde
  • Pay It Forward
  • Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1)
  • Forrest Gump (Forrest Gump, #1)
  • Dead Poets Society
  • Rain Man
  • A Beautiful Mind
  • The Pursuit of Happyness
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth
  • What's Eating Gilbert Grape
  • The Devil's Advocate
Iris Rainer Dart is the author of eight novels, including the much-beloved New York Times bestseller Beaches. The mother of two children, she lives in California with her husband.