Start by marking “Homecoming: Reclaiming and Healing Your Inner Child” as Want to Read:
Homecoming: Reclaiming and Healing Your Inner Child

Homecoming: Reclaiming and Healing Your Inner Child

Using a wealth of practical techniques, informative case histories and unique questionnaires, John Bradshaw demonstrates how your wounded inner child may be causing you pain. You'll learn to gradually, safely, go back to reclaim and nurture that inner child - and literally help yourself grow up again. Homecoming shows you how to:

Validate your inner child through meditation
Published February 1st 1992 by Bantam (first published July 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homecoming

James
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I went to a "Healing the Shame That Binds You" presentation by John Bradshaw back in the early seventies. He spoke to a crowd of just over a thousand people and at times when he was sharing stories of his personal shame scenerios you could literally hear a pin drop. This guy knows how to shed light on those dark painful areas that we hold inside. Reading his books and watching the series he had on PBS years ago changed my life for the better! Thank You John Bradshaw!
Tilda
Oct 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Despite its popularity, I didn't like this book. I didn't finish it because I really didn't like it. The style of writing is too airy-fairy, lots of nice sounding fluffy words but lacking any real substance. Plus his arguments are not solid and he contradicts himself a lot.

Example of what I consider a strange sentence: "The feeling of unified wholeness and completeness is the true meaning of perfection ..."

Is it?? It that really the definition of "perfection"? If someone walked up to me and as
marie monroe
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this book changed my life. i recommend it to everyone who lived at the mercy of distressed adults (even for the proverbial minute), and/or who grew up uncomfortable, embarrassed, ashamed and distressed themselves. plus, if you have, or ever had, an addiction or other compulsion (like perfectionism), this is hard-hitting like a velvet hammer and a cuddle hybrid. it just might just take you home.
Kris Irvin
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it
This book has some very fascinating information, if you can suspend your cynicism long enough to get into it. I greatly enjoyed reading the first half and felt like the author knew my exact situation because of the scarily accurate "diagnosis" he gave. But once I got to the exercises, I lost interest. I'd like to know how to heal my inner child without having to do weird meditations, thank you. Actually, I'm not sure I believe in the whole concept of an inner child, I thought it was kind of hoke ...more
Katja
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I had mixed reactions to this book. On the one hand, the basic concept (how childhood wounds escalate into adult problems) is incredibly important. However, this book is a product of its time. Among other things, Bradshaw posits that repression causes cancer, and preaches Freud’s theory of psychosexual stages (oral, anal, etc.) which is no longer practiced or taken seriously in psychology. Additionally, many people won’t enjoy the implicit gender role stereotypes that abound in this book. Howeve ...more
Cindy
Apr 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book wasn't helpful for me but I have a friend is growing a lot from her work with this book.
Madeline
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is very near and dear to me as it was the 1st book I read at 18 after giving birth and beginning my journey of healing and self-discovery.
Claire Gray
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe Self Healing begins with inner child work -unravelling the past to childhood leads us to be aware of how we relate today. Nurturing and reaching out to our inner child can have a profound effect as we begin an inner dialog with self and find the answers to our on going questions and start to analyse our behaviours and those around us.
No one else can do this work for you, you have to do it yourself. I began with ‘Homecoming’ and this is where my journey began to heal the wounds of the p
Harvey Lidstone-Lane
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting and thought provoking read. I particularly appreciated the author's interpretation/explanation of Erikson's developmental stages. I would recommend this book to anyone who would like a deeper understanding of how early development impacts psychological wellbeing.
The one criticism I have of this book is that it feels unsure of what it is trying to be. The theories and ideas presented may be a little intense for people who have no prior knowledge of psychology or psychotherapy. On
Troy
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was a little distraught reading the first chapter of this book. The phrasing of things were making me feel, not very empowered. Granted, the subject matter should probably warrant that. The first chapter explains the types of "inner child" issues people have. There's a quiz at the end of the first chapter that tells you if the book is right for you or not. I do appreciate that the book has it's own filtering mechanism in the first chapter to tell you to read the rest or not. I ended up being f ...more
Kate Hyde
DNF at 85%.

I tried so hard to finish this book, but it just didn’t hold my interest. There’s some good stuff (I highlighted several passages to refer back to), but the rest is very repetitive and hokey.
Lisa
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: therapists and people in recovery
This is an excellent way to work through the process of healing and reclaiming your 'inner child." It's great to do this individually or with a therapist. Gets into deeper psychological healing for trauma/neglect at all developmental stages.
Ben
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
The concept of the Inner Child is important and beautiful, yet the book just doesn't fit into our time, anymore.
Guna Grāmatniece
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
There are places in the heart which do not yet exist; pain must be in order that they be.
Iekšējā bērna dziedināšana.
Edward
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The audiocassette has been transferred to Audible and presents in enlightening deep-dive into our early years from birth to early school to help us try to figure out where our negative conditioning comes from. This could be around money, love, business, etc, but these formational beliefs we pick up and become conditioned by often limit our potential, even if some were "given" to us out of love.

The audio mixes presentation and insight with meditation (regression) exercises to help you figure out
Gato Negro
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are a psychology student or practitioner of psychology, you will recognize the theorists and their various ideas mentioned throughout the book. I could tell it was written a while back but the notion of an inner child still rings true for me today.
So much of this is relevant to my life as I had to grow up very quickly due to my mother leaving my father and I when I was a young teenager.
I am revisiting all of these beliefs and concepts as I am going through what can only be referred to a
Shaifali
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychotherapy
Didn't read the book but watched the 10-hour long 10-part series that aired on PBS several years ago, which was the basis of this book.
Totally recommend it to anyone and everyone.
Probably better than the book because the series showed clips of actual sessions and meditation sound tracks to actually do the exercises -- which I am not sure but I guess would probably be missing from the book. Reading his other book on family system, and definitely the format of the TV series is much better than the
Stephanie
Feb 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
I stopped reading it as it seems to me the author liked talking about himself more and liked to show how educated he is. it's nice to hear people about their own struggles but this was way to much. also it's too much about alcoholism and (non)physicalsexual abuse. the problems he himself suffered from.

I do like the explanation but it's to Freudian for me without proper research to back it up
Shanna
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was an assignment so not one I would have picked out myself. It was laborious which is to be expected to an extent but oh my, I could not wait to be done with this. I am currently rejoicing!
Lori
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-discovery
What can be said about John Bradshaw? What a loving, engaging man who has brought healing and growth to so many through his books and lectures. This book brings so much healing and hope to anyone who had a dysfunctional childhood.
Heather
May 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I didn't finish because it seemed the author wanted to share shocking stories of trauma instead of help readers work through their own trauma. I was disgusted by some of the stories he unnecessarily shared.
Aurora
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am still reading this book, but needed to make a comment on how timeless this advice really is, especially during this technologically driven time. I had been looking for help in how to get unstuck in my life. I was also struggling with finding the right answers within myself on a variety of topics. This book so far has helped me in so many ways. While I am dreading finishing this book, I can't wait to see how this important book ends. A must read if you are a parent, a child, parent to be, or ...more
Mary
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is short, and really hits home, hard. I want more of it. I will need to go back to it and the exercises again and again, and hopefully develop a better relationship with my inner child.
Peter
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For me this was perfect. Exactly what the doctor ordered.
Jill Carlier
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this man! He's all about love!
Joey Silayan
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading this book has... brought quite a few skeletons out of my closet. Not for the faint hearted :-) Nonetheless, I LOVE this book.
Susan
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting, 90% read
Kevin Conti
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good book, but I highly recommend the abridged audiobook version, which has the chance to change your life. The meditative exercises are beyond powerful.
Joy Allen
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book.
Jason
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: improvement
Combines Erikson's stages of development with Jung's views of the mind.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Original Self: Living with Paradox and Originality
  • Don't Call It Love: Recovery From Sexual Addiction
  • Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families (Recovery Classics Edition)
  • Beyond Codependency: And Getting Better All the Time
  • What Doctors Don't Tell You: The Truth about the Dangers of Modern Medicine
  • Struggle for Intimacy
  • Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment
  • The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Anxiety: Breaking Free from Worry, Panic, PTSD, and Other Anxiety Symptoms
  • The Force of Character: And the Lasting Life
  • Necessary Losses: The Loves Illusions Dependencies and Impossible Expectations That All of us Have
  • Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery
  • Listening to Prozac
  • Recovery of Your Inner Child: The Highly Acclaimed Method for Liberating Your Inner Self
  • At a Journal Workshop
  • Healing Your Aloneness: Finding Love and Wholeness Through Your Inner Child
  • The New Peoplemaking
  • Sadhana
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself

John Bradshaw has been called "America's leading personal growth expert." The author of five New York Times bestsellers, Bradshaw On: The Family, Healing the Shame That Binds You, Homecoming, Creating Love, and Family Secrets. He created and hosted four nationally broadcast PBS television series based on his bes
“all misbehaving children are dis-couraged. Having lost heart, they believe they must manipulate in order to get their needs met.” 2 likes
“Sam Keen points out that Zen masters spend years to reach an enlightenment that every natural child already knows—the total incarnation of sleeping when you’re tired and eating when you’re hungry. What irony that this state of Zen-like bliss is programmatically and systematically destroyed.” 2 likes