Start by marking “The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  444 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing serves as an introduction to the steps required to complete a penetration test or perform an ethical hack from beginning to end. No prior hacking experience is needed. You learn how to properly utilize and interpret the results of modern day hacking tools, which are required to complete a penetration test. Tool coverage include ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 159 pages
Published August 4th 2011 by Syngress (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing

Mark Jacobsen
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm trying to get smarter about the nuts and bolts of cyberwarfare, and have always been intrigued by hacking. This is a great introduction to the basics for those who have no prior experience. The author explains how to set up a sealed lab using virtual machines, so students can practice without fear of breaking the law or causing damage, then walks through a variety of tools to conduct reconnaissance, scan networks, look for vulnerabilities, and exploit them. This book won't take you past the ...more
Natasha Postolovski
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
It's rare to find a book that is flawed for being *too* practical. This surprisingly short book contains a whirlwind tour of dozens of exploitation tools and instructions for how to use them, with very little explanation of what they are actually doing, or how they work. With so little theory, it feels a bit like a crash course in how to be a script kiddie. It was useful to understand more about the plug and play tools that 95% of unsophisticated attackers use, and what these tools are capable o ...more
Acc13
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good for those starting from complete ground zero - no coding skills, never heard of Kali Linux.

Others, look elsewhere.
Becky Frost
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-books
Basic introduction on how to penetration test. My favorite part of the book was how to use the Internet to do reconnaissance. The basics of how to use Google to your advantage, whois, and other crafted web sites that do the work for you via search engines. The part that was most helpful was when the book discusses how Windows locks hashes for files at bootup. This is at about the halfway point in the book (Kindle Version = 49%) In the section, Local Password Cracking, the author covers the way W ...more
P.W.
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book for those looking to research some hacking. It's also good to fill in a couple weak spots that you may have in your knowledge.

It covers some command-line stuff for applications like netcat, but not to the point your head will swim. Then it advises you to practice and develop your skills further.

At under 200 pages, it's nowhere near as intimidating for newbies (or even people who shudder at the thought of getting another 700+ page computer book.)
Brian Powell
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is a quick and easy introduction to penetration testing and hacking using the BackTrack Linux distribution. It is expensive, too short to be of much practical use, and there are much better books out there (e.g. Counterhack by Ed Skoudis). I appreciate the need for quick, practical introductions, but this is like giving someone intent on becoming a professional chef a book of 4-ingredient recipes.
Someguyfromcrowd
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I quite enjoyed this book. It's written in a lively style and has a wealth of illustrations to reinforce its concepts.

Despite my novice level of experience with the more advanced concepts of computer systems, I never felt confused or out of the loop for more than a few minutes. It taught me quite a few tricks to both secure my computer systems and to test the security of them.
Sal Coraccio
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice coverage over a broad range of topics. There are workbook style activities with plenty of links and referrals for deeper coverage of an area.

Excellent for a moderately savvy beginner with computing in general.

Ironically, I think a paper edition would be preferable to the e-book format as it would allow in-line notes.
Paul
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for those looking to get into hacking as it follows a curriculum flow style coming in entry level but working into some much deeper concepts. It never gets too deep into a subject but always recommends books to cover a topic in complete detail. It balances entry level with detail very efficiently. A quick worthwhile read to those interested in the subject.
Praecorloth
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
A good book. It does a good job of walking through steps, however I feel like there was a lot of re-explaining of what was going on. Not necessarily in any more detail, just different ways of explaining what was going on.
Andi
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ini buku tentang pentest yg paling asyik dan nyaman dibaca. Tapi ngga cuma itu, Patrick juga pinter mempersempit ruanglingkup tanpa bikin functionalitynya ikut sempit. Ruang lingkupnya diperkecil dg memakai Backtrack. Pentester adalah pekerjaan yg jadi passion saya. Enjoy
Nicholas Koh
Gives a well-rounded introduction to penetration testing.

Suitable for those without any penetration testing background - starting from ground zero.

More of an introduction to penetration testing and not basics.
Nothing ...
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hacking
i thought I will find a lot of information in this book
Especially as it speaks about the penetration test, but unfortunately generally speak about tools for penetration programs and that's all , and to be honest to your i did not take advantage of it much .. because was too simple...
Rob
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Gave up reading it and bought the new edition, because this book refers to Backtrack Linux which is no longer supported or available.
Agung Gumilang
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sebuah buku yang cocok untuk mengawali petualanganku di dunia Ethical Hacking dan Penetration Testing. Bahasa yang digunakan cukup sederhana dan tidak bertele-tele.
Sal Fernz
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Easy reading.
Cadgas
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought I was going to be a hacker when I've read this but I haven't :((
Fuat Ulugay
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Even it says basics of hacking this book has more content than the ones claiming to have advanced content. One of the best books available for an intro to white hat hacking.
Islam
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Basically it's an easy book. u can take it as your first and good start step. Actualy I spend my free times in reading and trying this book.
Omar Chajia
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
recommended beginners or those who want to refresh thier knowledge as i did ;)
Abdelrhman Hesham
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is great for the Beginners.
the first 50 pages is useless in my opinion
paul
Jan 19, 2017
  • Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide
  • Backtrack 5 Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide
  • Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
  • Violent Python: A Cookbook for Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers and Security Engineers
  • Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide to Network Discovery and Security Scanning
  • Inside Cyber Warfare: Mapping the Cyber Underworld
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
  • SSH Mastery: OpenSSH, PuTTY, Tunnels and Keys
  • Malware Analyst's Cookbook and DVD: Tools and Techniques for Fighting Malicious Code
  • The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Flaws
  • Windows® Internals, Part 1: Covering Windows Server® 2008 R2 and Windows 7
  • Gray Hat Hacking: The Ethical Hacker's Handbook
  • The Practice of Network Security Monitoring: Understanding Incident Detection and Response
  • Practical Malware Analysis: The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software
  • Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
  • Assembly Language: Step-By-Step
  • Google Hacking for Penetration Testers, Volume 1
  • The Tangled Web: A Guide to Securing Modern Web Applications

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“that contain your search words. In our example, we are presented with three sites: syngress.com, www.syngress.com, and booksite.syngress.com. If any of these sites have escaped our previous searches, it is” 0 likes
“If I had 6 h to chop down a tree, I’d spend the first four of them sharpening my axe.” 0 likes