Start by marking “Spring Is Here” as Want to Read:
Spring Is Here

Spring Is Here

Using simple words and bright illustrations, author-illustrator Taro Gomi takes children on a playful tour of the four seasons.
Board Book, 34 pages
Published February 1st 1999 by Chronicle Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Spring Is Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spring Is Here

Mairead
Read this for the first time last year in A's emtpy nursery, lying on the floor. Read again yesterday, lying on the floor of the dining room in her play/reading corner. My kind of calming, cyclical book.
Janet
May 14, 2017 Janet rated it really liked it
With an accompanying three or four word sentence for each two page spread we see the cycle of the seasons. For the very youngest and nicely done.
I read a 1989 copyright of this by Chronicle Books in a regular picture book format which I did not find in the list and didn't take the time to add.
Beyondthebookends
May 19, 2017 Beyondthebookends rated it really liked it
A wonderful tale that introduces the concept of seasons. Watch as the field changes through the year and the cow grows too! Beautiful illustrations make this a mommy favorite too.

more reviews at www.beyondthebookends.com
J
Feb 23, 2017 J rated it really liked it
So simple with such cute illustrations.
Mike Spinak
May 10, 2013 Mike Spinak rated it really liked it
In those early-reader, cardboard book days, small children often want you to read the same books to them over and over, and over again. This book was a favorite for Miss B. It was also a favorite for me to re-share with her; it never grew old. The pictures are lovely and imaginative, and the strange little "story" clever, fun, and imaginative. Meanwhile, in its own way, it helps kids start to understand the ideas of changing seasons and life cycles.
Jessica Allen
Jun 10, 2011 Jessica Allen rated it really liked it
This book is not only great to read during the spring time, but it showcases all the seasons. It is a great book to use to initiate class discussion about the 4 seasons. Children can discuss how the weather changes during each season. Also, it is a bilingual book which is useful for children who speak Spanish or are learning Spanish.
Joanna
Jan 10, 2013 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-w-salo-5yo
This super simple book really grabbed my son's attention. I'm thinking alot of the books about seasons over do it. This was simple and let his mind do the rest. The science link at the end is an extra bonus. I feel this book has helped my son grasp the concept of seasons. This is fairly substantial because we live near the ecuator and do not have traditional seasons.
Natalie
Mar 18, 2011 Natalie rated it it was ok
So Spring dominates the first half of the book, we skip Summer, and there's a one page Fall. And then 4 pages of Winter. And boom, it's Spring again. It doesn't really make sense. Don't be fooled by the cute calf on the cover. :)
Elizabeth K.
May 11, 2013 Elizabeth K. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-lucy
This book was great for both Lucy at 2, and me. It's genuinely artistic in a way that I find enjoyable, and also holds Lucy's interest. A lot of times those two things don't really connect -- there are a lot of books that I'll find very aesthetically pleasing that Lu could care less about.
QueenAmidala28
Apr 16, 2015 QueenAmidala28 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Ms Gomi's books because she puts the English translation on the opposite page so that you have time to think in Spanish before checking yourself. Yes it is a kids book but it's great for adult Spanish learners.
Khinna
Mar 12, 2008 Khinna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ages 4-8
Shelves: children
Simplistic and bold pictures lead babies and toddlers on a fun trip through the four seasons. This book reveals and let children use their imaginations to discover their environments, and discover the beauty of the seasons.
Karen
Sep 24, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Love the simple narrative that has a good rhythm telling a story of the changing seasons. Cute and creative illustrations.

My 12 month old loves this book. She brings it to me to read, then toddles over to my husband to have him read it, then back to me again!
Katie Lee
Apr 02, 2013 Katie Lee rated it really liked it
This is a very basic book about what happens during the different seasons. Flowers, wind, and harvests are all mentioned throughout the book. This would be a good introductory book for kids who are learning the basic concepts of books, such as directionality.
Lindsay
I love Taro Gomi! I used this bilingual book for Spanish and bilingual story time programs about spring/growing things. The simple text is illustrated with cute drawings showing the change of seasons --and growth of a baby cow--very well.
Deb
Jan 09, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
Bright color, bold illustration, nice transition from calf to land in spring, and land to calf as snow melts the next spring. Simple declarative sentences to tell the story over the year. The baby is fascinated with this one.
Cara Farmer
Sep 02, 2013 Cara Farmer rated it really liked it
Shelves: seasons
This book is a good illustration of the seasons. I thought it was a nice touch that it showed a baby calf and at the end it says, " calf has grown" to show that a whole year has passed.
Betsy
Sep 25, 2007 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: birth-toddlers
My 5 month old twins and 23 month old daughter all sit enthralled for multiple readings in a row. That makes it a winner in my book!
Jenny Hobson
Apr 27, 2008 Jenny Hobson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-to-paul
A favorite in this family. Great bedtime reading.
Sophie Landrum
Aug 07, 2007 Sophie Landrum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a gorgeous book. Really abstract but Sophie loves it nonetheless.
Teri
Jul 01, 2010 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice illustrations and my girls both like to hear it in Spanish and read it in English to me.
Erin Lynn
Apr 25, 2014 Erin Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I really liked how it started with the season of spring and then went through the year to show spring again. It was cute.
Abby
Apr 15, 2009 Abby rated it it was amazing
It's really cool because the cow's fur turns into dirt and the lamb's fur turns into snow. It's really, really cool.
Ashleigh Jansen
Apr 22, 2016 Ashleigh Jansen rated it it was amazing
Superrrrrr great book omggggg
Mary Luzader
Nov 05, 2014 Mary Luzader rated it it was ok
This book is weird. I don't think I liked it.
Yu
Jan 16, 2015 Yu added it
Shelves: luke-read
my son likes this book. he giggles when I read to the last page.
Tanya W
cute pictures, like english spanish side by side
Kristine Hansen
Sep 05, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Creative way to introduce the concept of changing seasons. Kind of strange, yet whimsical. I paused to enjoy the art which is something that doesn't happen often with board books. I liked it.
Katie Scherrer
Lovely, gentle bilingual story which takes young children through the progression of the seasons with big, bright illustrations.
Gail
Apr 11, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I love the illustrations. I'd buy this for a kid under three.
Anita Wopara
May 07, 2010 Anita Wopara rated it it was ok
it really good
  • Nest
  • Meeow and the Big Box
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • The Animal Boogie
  • If I Had a Dragon
  • How Will We Get to the Beach?/Como Iremos a la Playa?
  • Fall is Not Easy
  • The Frogs and Toads All Sang
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Who Wants A Dragon?
  • Here's a Little Poem: A Very First Book of Poetry
Taro Gomi is a major children’s illustrator and writer. He has more than 400 book titles to his credit. His work has been widely translated into 15 other languages.

Tarō was born in Tokyo and he graduated from ID department, Kuwazawa Design Institute. His readers range from babies to adults, with an equal number of fans overseas. His work has been appreciated considerably with both domestic and int
More about Taro Gomi...