Start by marking “Making the Match: The Right Book for the Right Reader at the Right Time, Grades 4-12” as Want to Read:

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  173 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
What do adolescents care about? Chatting on-line with friends, movies, their favorite bands . . . but many are also avid readers. What motivates some of these "typical teens" to become lifelong readers and others to slide by with the minimum amount of assigned reading? Teri Lesesne says the key is finding the books that get them hooked in the first place.

In Making the Matc
Published January 1st 2003 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Making the Match, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making the Match

Donalyn
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Reread for the 3rd time. Can you tell it's influential to my teaching paradigm?
Bethe
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Bookaday #71. Best advice to motivate a kid to read: be a reader yourself - duh - it's unfortunate that this is not obvious to all teachers. Here are 2 quotes that are crucial to growing readers:
1. Teachers must recognize that the dislike of reading is an acquired taste wasn't born with a love for or an version to reading. Experiences at home and at school with parents, peers, teachers, and a variety of text all help form a students reading attitude.
2. Educators need to know about kids, know a
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Interesting book for the LIS professionals, educators and teachers. The book provides authors, students, teachers opinion about books and how various people became lifelong readers after getting books that made them the way they are. Book provides various resources as well in appendix.
Debbie
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have several huge problems with this book. First, there are many books recommended that I consider "junk food" books. I was hoping to find better quality recommendations. There are also books that are recommended for different levels under different sections in the appendix, which I found confusing. Just the fact that so many of the same books were repeated in several sections of the appendix was annoying. Finally, there are so many books recommended whose premise is simply horrifying to me. B ...more
Ricki
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
I can't say enough good things about this book. I feel it should be required reading for every English/reading teacher of grades 4-12. The book addresses one of the most important issues in teacher education today--Why aren't our students reading? How do we get them reading?
Lesesne shows teachers how to match every student in their classrooms with a novel, providing information about book lists, awards, genres, trends, and book talks. She also gives practical suggestions to help teachers impleme
jacky
Mar 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education, grad, 2009
I liked this book, but I felt like it would have been more useful for me to read it back in my undergrad work or earlier in my grad program. I wound up realizing a lot of what was said in this book over the course of the past few years. It was very nice to have that all validated, but I didn't get much in terms of answers for what to so with my kids in practicum or with kids if I were to have new students in the fall. I did like the lists of the books, and would like to work on reading more of t ...more
Josh
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: academic
Making the match is an inexact science, but there are some decent insights into pairing books to reluctant readers and introducing new genres. Nothing mind-bending; I've been doing much of what she writes about for years without reading this book. Nice of her to give voice to it and provide useful appendices, which might be the most helpful feature. Probably best utilized as a resource for teachers in training and new teachers.
Daria
Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and I love Teri Lesesne! This is a MUST-READ for any secondary ed English teacher or pre-service teacher! And, if you've ever had the pleasure of attending one of Teri's presentations, you will be happy to find that her irrepressible and gregarious style has found its way into this book. While this book covers grades 4-12, anyone working with middle schoolers should also read Naked Reading.
Liz
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is chock full of ideas for inspiring kids to read. Whether you are a reading specialist, librarian, English teacher or any other kind of teacher, this book has a lot of useful discussion and ideas. This book made me excited to be a teacher every time I read it, and it makes me want to be a librarian. I recommend it for any educator or parent who wants to instill a love of reading in their kids.
Ricki
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
I know I rated this book already, and I am not sure why it disappeared! This is an incredible book that I recommend for all English/Language Arts teachers. I am very familiar with Young Adult literature and still found it to be incredibly helpful when I designed my Young Adult Literature elective because it divides the important aspects into many sections. Passages from authors about Young Adult literature are interwoven throughout the book. It's amazing.
Missy
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked the conversational tone. Easy to read. Teri is someone that I would like to meet. She seems like a genuinely good person who cares about students and about good literature. Some of the book recommendaitons feel a little dated. I would love to see what updates she would make now...
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full disclaimer- I am a big Professor Nana fan: of her blog, #bproots chats, and tweets. This book, even though it is more than a decade old, is loaded with practical advice from an experienced and wise teacher. I love the short essays from authors, the advice about how to booktalk, the appendices, and the description of the library "nomad". I will be sharing this title with teachers of reading.
Mary Foxe
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I upped the rating on this from four stars to five as I realized how influential this book was on how I work with students on finding them a book. I know the actual book recommendations could use an update, but the advice in the book is still effective today. Thanks Prof. for recommending this book to me back while I was prepping for student teaching.
Terry
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching-english
An excellent over-view of one of the failures of too many Language Arts teachers: we don't hook students up with the right book. Sure, we try and sometimes stumble into success, but Lesesne shows us what we can to to really improve our average. The brief essays by YA authors are quite interesting, and I share several with students.
Bethany
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've been reading this book as part of a YALSA class. We've been skipping around, but so far the information I've read is valuable. Especially Chapter 2, which introduces the reader to some basic developmental concepts.
Laura Pruitt
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me so many excellent ideas to inspire my students to select books they will get hooked on! I can't wait to plan my next "book talk". The appendices are incredible and offer a depth of suggestions in each genre. Excellent resource for reading teachers!
Daria
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I didn't already have this on my list--just an oversight kn my part. I got this book for Christmas several years ago and spent all of Christmas day reading, nodding, and highlighting. I love, love, love this book and recommend it to anybody who works with kids and reading.
Alev
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Easy reading icin kitap onerileri var.
Sue
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource for my teaching. I have used it frequently.
Holly
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is life changing
Bullcitytaheel
This definitely deserves a closer look in the future. Many contributing authors, lots of good ideas. The premise is (1) knowing the kids, (2) knowing the books, and (3) making the match.
Cathy
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
lots of books listed for grades 4-12. The copyright is 2003.
Rob
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
This is a great resource for classroom teachers!
Jared Reck
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic professional book on knowing your students, knowing the books, and knowing the strategies to make them readers.
Mendel
Jun 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: forteachers
worth skimming, but best for its extensive appendixes (a-y!!), which categorize, list, and give blurbs for a slew of great books for teens.
Jane
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Good ideas in the book but the lists in the back are totally out-dated. Needs a second edition!
Karen
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-work, at-bjhs
An awesome resource, specifically the "What Young Adults Tell Us", "Motivating Readers", and "Book Talking" chapters. I do wish she would do an updated book list.
Carol Shaw
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all teachers who believe that becoming a
Lifetime Reader is a possibility for all children!
Sara
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Ch.1-6 are skimmable, especially if you have read her other book. Appendix section and book recommendations are very valuable.
Jul 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
have I seen it? 1 3 Jan 17, 2013 05:08PM
  • Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
  • Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Book Love: Developing Depth, Stamina, and Passion in Adolescent Readers
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
  • Book Crush: For Kids and Teens--Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Interest
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • The Reading Zone: How to Help Kids Become Skilled, Passionate, Habitual, Critical Readers
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice