Start by marking “Programming Perl: Unmatched power for text processing and scripting” as Want to Read:
Programming Perl: Unmatched power for text processing and scripting

Programming Perl: Unmatched power for text processing and scripting

Adopted as the undisputed Perl bible soon after the first edition appeared in 1991, Programming Perl is still the go-to guide for this highly practical language. Perl began life as a super-fueled text processing utility, but quickly evolved into a general purpose programming language that’s helped hundreds of thousands of programmers, system administrators, and enthusiasts ...more
Published March 9th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Perl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Perl

Start your review of Programming Perl: Unmatched power for text processing and scripting
Ed Limonov
A great read and I think it will be an even better re-read in the future.
Apple84 Wylie
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Apple84 by: Perl newbies.
The "camel" book. This book should be everyone's initiation into Perl. It is a great way to get your feet wet and start to see the scope of what Perl can do. Read this one first, "Intermediate Perl" 2nd, for object oriented programming in Perl. If you're still around after that, grab the "Perl Cookbook" to learn some nifty tricks.
Russel
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the holy grail of Perl programming, it's a must read!
Marin
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a mixed opinion kind of thing, a lot like the language itself. I think that if you find yourself strangely attached to Perl, you will also experience a strange attachment with this book. It feels as organic and chaotic as the language design and using it as a reference is a lot like using Perl to solve a problem - it's all there, it's just arranged in potentially ridiculous ways.

If you are considering using a printed copy of this book as a reference in this day and age, you should c
James Swenson
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Would you believe it if I said that a programming manual was compusively readable? Pick up this book: I particularly recommend Chapter 27, "Perl as Culture" -- including the subsection on "Perl poetry."

Oh -- it's also a really useful reference, as should be expected, because the author is also the creator of the programming language.

Along with the camel, you'll probably want the llama.
Detlev
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computing
I read this book back when it was only a couple years published. I laughed really hard and puzzled through the programming. I didn't have what it took to stick with Perl. I moved quickly into areas where I had better prospects. Recently, I've returned to dabble a little in areas where Perl is a solid choice and am having all these fond memories. I'm not sure I'll pick this up and read it again just yet. I also remember the llama book being more helpful getting me off the ground and I might revis ...more
Clintweathers
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perl was my first language after not having written any code for 25 years and ASM being my weapon of choice during the 8-bit 6502 days.

This book not only taught me about Perl, but filled in a lot of the gaps in programming theory that I'd missed when I taught myself as a teenager.

It works well as a tutorial guide, as a reference, and as an intro to Comp Sci text.

I have it at my elbow whenever I work in Perl.
Joe
Apr 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any serious perl 5 programmer
I give it a marginal 5 stars, mostly for all the use I've gotten out of it. The organization of the book is not the best, for example it would be nice if other keywords and reserved symbols (like, say, "while" or "{") were covered in detail in an easy to find ordered reference section, as the functions are. But it's still the best Perl reference out there.
Phil Moyer
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The original PERL book, written by Larry Wall, the designer/creator of PERL. Probably a bit dated now, I read this many years ago when PERL was first released and I needed to teach myself this "new" language. As with all the O'Reilly series of books, this is a good introduction to the language that will get you up and running in short order.
Jack Repenning
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Excellent reference work. It was better, back in the first edition, when the programming examples were co-bound, but it's really getting so huge (all the useful libraries) I can see why they don't do that any more.

TMTOWDI!
Alan
Aug 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent book. I really enjoyed this. It basically brought me up to speed in about a day on perl. This is a classic in my library.
Budi Rahardjo
Oct 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book in perl. A must if you're a perl programmer.
Charlie
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
Granted, I did not read this cover to cover, but very close to it.

For anyone hacking away at perl, this is the bible.
RJ
Programming Perl (3rd Edition) by Larry Wall (2000)
Sachin
Dec 27, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Need to read this "The Bible"
Daniel
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer
This is my bible when it comes to Perl.
Nathan Herring
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, tutorial
To be fair, I love Perl. I learned mostly on the 2nd edition, but this is the one on my shelf. Seriously in-depth but still easy to consume and then use as an indexable reference.
carl  theaker

This was the text for a Perl class and appropriately
so as it was taught by Tom Christiansen one of the authors.
Contains all the perls of wisdom you should need for this
language.
Siva
Must read for all Perl programmers
Marc Towersap
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great geek perl book, should be on every perl developers bookshelf
Duong
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I owe so much to this book. It would not be exaggerating to say this box changed my life.
Frank
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic perl programming book, back when hashes were 'associative arrays'.
Bruce Orcutt
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must have reference for those needing to program in PERL.
Rick Eversole
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the Perl Camel book. Need I say more?
Fred
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading again and again ....
Chankey Pathak
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A complete reference book for Perl programming language. A bit old but covers most of the topics.
Charles Bunders
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that helped me fall in love with programming. One of the ten most influential works on programming in history IMHO.
Ronald Perrella
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of five books I'd take to a deserted island with great internet and no Amazon delivery. Huge but worth re-reading periodically. Will teach you both Perl and Unix/Linux.
jjonas
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, science
I'm not sure of the audience this book was written for, but it seems like it was written for someone who already knows programming quite well, just not perl programming. Even though the book seems to address beginners, novices etc. (among whom I count myself), it did feel a bit like a token nod at the beginners' direction, because all the talk really seemed to be addressed to the crowd who already knows a lot.

It is a reference manual rather than a studybook starting from the basics by showing so
Nick Black
Mar 23, 2008 marked it as wtf-do-i-have-this  ·  review of another edition
ewww, perl! I hope GoodReads recognizes this as a valid 0-star review, and not a lack of decision. Someone should have put a bullet in Larry Wall's head two decades ago and spared us all an awful lot of messianic nonsense, but then we'd be without Steve Yegge's incredibly awesome "Ancient Languages: Perl" article, with this epic quote of excellence:

"Perl 6 is not the answer. Damien gave perhaps the most compelling PowerPoint presentation in the history of technology when he visited us at Amazon
Did you like this book? Join O'Reilly Media's fan group 1 12 Oct 20, 2009 10:54AM

• Learning Perl
  • The C Programming Language
  • The C++ Programming Language
  • Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • The UNIX Programming Environment
  • The Cathedral & the Bazaar: Musings on Linux and Open Source by an Accidental Revolutionary
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • Java in a Nutshell
  • The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
  • Programming Pearls
  • JavaScript: The Good Parts

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »