Start by marking “Address Unknown” as Want to Read:
Address Unknown

Address Unknown

A rediscovered classic, originally published in 1938 --

and now an international bestseller.

When it first appeared in Story magazine in 1938, Address Unknown became an immediate social phenomenon and literary sensation. Published in book form a year later and banned in Nazi Germany, it garnered high praise in the United States and much of Europe.

A series of fictional letter

Published April 1st 2011 by Souvenir Press (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Address Unknown, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Remo
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Angie Fehl Griselle is a stage actress whose show takes her across Europe. Griselle is Jewish and at one point her production takes her to Berlin, perhaps one of…moreGriselle is a stage actress whose show takes her across Europe. Griselle is Jewish and at one point her production takes her to Berlin, perhaps one of the most unsafe places for a Jew during World War 2, what with Nazi occupied Germany. (less)

Jaline
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words have power. We readers know that as we find ourselves moved to tears, beside ourselves with outrage, or smiling at the foibles of our fellow humans – and ourselves.

Spoken words have power, too. Charismatic leaders and fanatic leaders know this, and know exactly how to put their words across to increase their own power. Generating and maintaining fear is one way to do it; taking credit for improvements that are actually the result of a previous leader’s efforts is common; and so is scapegoa
Ilse
(***1/2) As originally published in 1938, this is a striking document as Kathrine Kressmann Taylor wrote on ordinary, liberal-minded and civilised people sliding into anti-Semitic barbarism even before the wave of violent pogroms which took place on November 9 and 10, 1938, known as Kristallnacht. According to her son’s foreword, the story is purportedly based on Kressmann’s bewilderment at the change of mind and heart of some American-German friends who had returned from Germany and since had d ...more
Orsodimondo
UCCIDE PIÙ LA PENNA DELLA SPADA
È bella la storia di questo libro, di come nasce, ed è importante e bella la storia che racconta.

description
1922: bambini tedeschi giocano con le banconote durante l'iperinflazione della Repubblica di Weimar. Famose anche le foto che di gente che andava a fare la spesa con la carriola piena di denaro svalutato.

A trentacinque anni, dirigente di un’agenzia pubblicitaria, Kathrine Taylor adotta il nom de plume di Kressmann Taylor, aggiungendo al suo cognome quello del marito e
Aqsa
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aqsa by: Jaline
Read for March Reading Sprint-2019 in Buddy Reads.

Believe me, you do not want to miss this book. It’s just 40 pages long and just read it.

“This modern story is perfection itself. It is the most effective indictment of Nazism to appear in fiction.”

──The New York Times Book Review

This is written in the form of letters (which are easy to get into) between a Jew (Max) living in America and his best friend and partner (Martin) who has returned to Germany. You see how Nazi poison got hold of Martin an
Nazanin
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
گاهی یک کتاب شصت صفحه ای اثری رو در خاطر حک می کنه که شاید یک کتاب ششصد صفحه ای قادر به چنان آفرینشی نباشد
داشتم به این فکر می کردم که در مورد این کتاب و حسی که نسبت بهش پیدا کردم چه چیزی بنویسم
در یک واژه؟ بسیار خوب: لِه کننده، آن هم در زیر آوار ِ تنها پنجاه و اندی صفحه

آیا این هنر نیست که در چنین حجم اندک و در قالب چند نامه کوتاه و با ادبیات و زبانی بسیار ساده بین دو دوست، چنین هجوم هولناکی از یک عریانگی را بتوان نمایان کرد؟

و هم چنان که نامه ها ادامه می یابند، بسیار نرم و آهسته، خطوط چهره ی یک ا
Flannery
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Flannery by: Elizabeth
I am updating this because it referenced a review that is no longer available on GR. (the reader removed her profile a few years back) Anyway, I was browsing Goodreads back in 2012 and saw a review for this book from someone with amazing taste in books. I'd never heard of the book before but she rarely gave books five stars so I was intrigued. I immediately put it on hold at my library and read it as soon as I got home. I was skeptical about the claims made about the book, including the front co ...more
Dorsa
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, 500-books, favorites
باید بگم خیلی دوستش داشتم. یه کتاب کوتاه و بهت آور.
داستان درباره ی دو دوست آلمانیه که در آمریکا زندگی می کردند و بعد از مدتی یکی از اونها(مارتین) که غیر یهودیه برمیگرده به آلمان و برگشتنش به آلمان مصادف میشه با قدرت گرفتن هیتلر. این دو دوست باهم نامه نگاری می کنن و در حین این نامه نگاری ها ما کم کم می بینیم که تفکرشون از هم فاصله می گیره. ماکس که یهودیه خودش رو آمریکایی آزادیخواه میدونه، اما مارتین توی یکی از نامه هاش خودش رو آلمانی وطن پرست می خونه و در نهایت به نازی ها می پیونده. ادامه ی کتاب
KamRun
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
افسوس، ما نیز که سر آن داشتیم که زمینهی انسانیت را آماده کنیم، تنوانستیم خود انسان باشیم. اما شما که پس از ما به جهان میآیید، هنگامی که آن زمان فرا رسید که انسان یار انسان شد، از ما با بزرگواری یاد کنید. برشت/ برگردان تورج رهنما

نویسنده در قالب یک داستان کوتاه نامهنگارانه خیلی موجز و خلاصه، به اثر مخرب ایدئولوژیهای حکومتی - در اینجا نازیسم - بر انسان و ارتباط میان انسانها میپردازد: بریده شدن تمام اتصالهای انسانی و چیره شدن بندها و قوانین ایدئولوژی بر آن. چیزی که شاید قابل تعمیم به اکثر ایدئولوژیه
Ingrid
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars and more if I could give them. This was so cleverly written! So much is said in a few pages. I'm impressed.
It's a correspondence between a Jewish American and his former business partner who has returned to Germany. In the letters you read how the business partner turns to Nazism.
Iman
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ترجمه خیلی روان و خوبی داشت. کوتاه. خوب بود.
Mohammad
نمره من : 3.5
شبیه دوست بازیافته، این یکی کوتاه تر و به همبن خاطر شوکه کننده تر، آن یکی شریف تر.
عنوان کتاب شاید یکی از بهترین عناوین کتاب باشد.
خیلی دوست داشتم سوالاتی که درباره هدف و آینده جنبش به وجود آمده بودند، موشکافی می شدند و اگه این کار درست انجام میشد اثر می توانست به شاهکار هم تبدیل شود. یا شاید، البته شاید، بهتر بود که آن تغییر دیدگاه کمی آرامتر اتفاق می افتاد. اما به هرحال کتابی خواندنی، جذاب و بهت آور است.
وقتی مارتین (که در آلمان بود) ملتمسانه حرف از رحم و مروت میزد، ناخودآگاه تصویر ل
Ahmad Sharabiani
address unknown, Kathrine Kressmann Taylor
عنوانها: گیرنده شناخته نشد؛ ناشناس در این آدرس؛ نویسنده: کاترین کرسمن تایلور؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: نهم دسامبر سال 2002 میلادی
عنوان: گیرنده شناخته نشد؛ نویسنده: کاترین کرسمن تایلور؛ مترجم: حسن مرتضوی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، بهنام، 1379، در 60 ص، مصور، موضوع: داستانهای نویندگان امریکایی قرن 20 میلادی، یهودیان، ایالات متحده، آلمان
همین کتاب را با عنوان: ناشناس در این آدرس؛ انتشارات ماه ریز، با ترجمه: تینوش نظم جو؛ و مهشاد مخبری؛ در سال 1382 ؛ و انتشارات ماهی؛ با
Dem
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Address Unknown by Kressman Taylor is an amazing little book.

The narrative consists of a series of letters exchanged between Max, a Jewish man living in California, and Martin, his German business partner and close family friend, recently returned to Germany; and this correspondence takes place shortly before Hitler takes power.

I noted that I had added this book to my"To Read" list on Jan 01st 2012 and only got around to reading it on Dec 30th 2012. Boy! did I leave the best wine until last. T
Roberto

Quasi amici

Kathrine Kressmann Taylor, scrittrice americana di origini tedesche, pubblicò, prima che fossero chiare a tutti le conseguenze del nazismo, questo brevissimo romanzo epistolare nel 1938.

Con una sintesi efficacissima in poche lettere viene esposto il tema del romanzo. Due amici e soci in affari, un americano ebreo che sta in California e un tedesco non ebreo, che torna con la sua famiglia in Germania nel 1933, si scrivono. Capiamo rapidamente il cambio di attitudine del tedesco, che d
Zeinab
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ایّام فرجههاست و، بر ما واجب است که در مقابل برخی اراجیفی که مجبوریم وارد مغزمان کنیم و همانجا نگهداریم، چیزهای خوب هم بخوانیم.

و این کتاب، انتخاب درستی نبود برای این منظور. بیشتر از این بود. شگفتزدهام کرد، و پایانش، حواسم را در خودش نگهداشت. چهارتا نامۀ کوتاه و شخصیّتپردازی و توصیف موقعیّت به این خوبی..

و نکتۀ خیلی جالب، تاریخ نوشتهشدن داستان است. کتاب، پیش از آغاز جنگ جهانی دوم، یعنی وقتی نوشته شده که هیتلر هنوز ترکتازی میکرده و تقریباً در اوج قدرت بوده. اگر فضا و تاریخ را دریابید، میفهمید که دا
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Follow the banality of evil through this exchange of letters...read between the lines and find one of the best horror stories ever.
Meredith Holley
One of my supervising attorneys is 88 years old. He basically helped invent tort law in Oregon and has been influential in anything you can name. The governor comes by to get his opinion on judicial appointments and whatnot, and in his prime, he was called "the prince of torts."

In my first week of working for him, he called me into his office. When he was 14 years old, he told me, the young men of military age had all gone off to war. This left the boys like him and the old men to work in the l
Mandana
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
عالی بود. از آن کتابهایی که خواندنش را به همه توصیه میکنم. در کمتر از ۵۰ صفحه زیر و رو شدن دوستی عمیق را تحت تأثیر ایدئولوژی نشان داد. اینکه چطور آدمها عوض میشوند، اینکه رفاقتها، منشها، باورها، و حتی عشق زیر لوای حزب و ایدئولوژی چطور رنگ میبازد. اینکه شستشوی مغزی تا کجاها پیش میرود و آدمی را چگونه دگرگون میکند. و همه این حرفها فقط در قالب چند نامه.از ترجمه بهمن دارالشافی هم نباید غافل شد که واقعاً دستشان درد نکند. لحن را عجب خوب برمیگرداند. داستان اگر با این لحن خوب و درست برگردانده نمیشد، این ق ...more
Paria
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ۱۳۹۵
جذاب،تلخ و غافل گیر کننده.
آدم ها چقدر ساده و صرفا بخاطر منافع شخصیشون رنگ عوض میکنن و ایدئولوژی ها و حرف های گذشتشون رو فراموش میکنن. حتی از قربانی کردن نزدیکانشون هم بخاطر خودخواهی خودشون ابایی ندارن.
Rana Heshmati
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
وای قلبم....!
لعنت. لعنت به این جنگها. به ما.
Jaksen
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful short story. Read it in half an hour, then went back to re-read most of it. Elegantly done as a series of short letters with a brutal twist - for both writers.

It's the story of two friends in America, one Jewish, one German, who own a gallery together. When the German returns home in 1933 things happen, relationships alter, and history overlays and rewrites friendships in unthinkable ways.

When I questioned my mother about this time period - she was born in 1923 - she said they didn't t
Homa Sharifmousavi
داستانی کوتاه و روان و خوشخوان و جذاب با همون مضامین داستان"دوست بازیافته"که توسط نامه هایی بین دو دوست،یکی یهودی و دیگری غیریهودی،یکی ساکن آلمان و دیگری ساکن امریکا که گالری مشترکی در امریکا دارند،روایت میشه.
هردو کتاب "دوست بازیافته" و "گیرنده شناخته نشد" کوچک و کوتاه و کم حجم اند اما درد و غمی که منتقل میکنن به طرز وحشتناکی بزرگه،حس میکنم همین حجم کم داستان باعث شده حجم بزرگ و زیاد اون درد بیشتر درک بشه.
Diane S ☔
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this little book and was absolutely astonished at how much it accomplished in so few pages. Friends and partners, one Jewish, one German and the letters they sent back and forth from Germany to the United States, show the rise of Hitler and the changing viewpoints of the Germans as they came to accept them as their leader and hope for the future. Loved the way revenge was taken at the end of the book. Heartfelt and poignant.
João Barradas
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Antes do facilitismo tecnológico, a correspondência escrita permitia minorar a distância que pudesse apartar duas pessoas conhecidas.
Mas, numa época em que o ódio começava a escalar a olhos vistos, o que é pode deixar de ser e as explicações ficam a aguardar os argumentos que permitam a sua (eventual) compreensão.
Um romance epistolar, curto e conciso, que, nas entrelinhas, espelha com precisão o regime Nazi, em ascenção.
Teresa
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
While I understand the significance of this story being published in late 1938, I found it hard to believe in the characters, so I never got invested in the story. Perhaps if I hadn't predicted the ending (or something similar to it), I might've felt differently.
piperitapitta
Raggelante, anticipatorio, beffardo.

Breve racconto epistolare, scritto nel 1938 (e quindi appena prima che Hitler levasse la maschera e rivelasse tutte le sue intenzioni) che attraverso lo scambio di lettere fra due amici fraterni e soci in affari - l’ebreo americano Max, rimasto negli Stati Uniti a gestire la galleria d’arte di entrambi, e il tedesco Martin, tornato in Germania con la famiglia alla fine del 1932 - pone di fronte, in un drammatico crescendo scandito dallo scambio epistolare che
Lisa Vegan
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody, especially those interested in history & social justice, like twist endings
Recommended to Lisa by: Chrissie
The edition I read has a wonderfully informative foreword by the author’s son. The foreword does give some information that gave me a clue as to what was coming in the story, but it didn’t really contain any spoilers.

A few of my Goodreads’ friends have read this story recently and their reviews and comments definitely piqued me interest.

So, wow! This story was published first in 1938, and I can see why it’s a classic.

I can’t remember the last time I so enjoyed a story, in this case told via lett
Narges
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
اَه، چقدر دردناک و ناراحتکننده. لعنت به هرچی جنگه.
خیلی واضح و تلخ، نشون میده که چقدر راحت آدمها به خاطر منافعشون رنگ عوض میکنن و و چیزهایی رو فراموش میکنن که فکر میکردن هیچ وقت رها نخواهندکرد.
سرِ نامهی پایانی جا خوردم.
از جنگ همیشه فقط خون و خونریزی و تفنگ و تانک دیده و شنیدم و هیچوقت با این جنبهی جنگ، روبرو نشده بودم. که شاید تلختر از کشتهشدنها و خونریزیها بود. چه چیزهای دیگهای که این میون از بین نرفته و به چشم نیومده.
Melika Khoshnezhad
ایا ما هم وقتی عزیزترین کسی که در زندگی داریم را از دست بدهیم انتقام می گیریم؟
mona aghazade
لذت بخش بود و در عین حال غمگین
کلا من داستانها و فیلم هایی که مربوط به جنگ جهانی و اتفاقات بین یهودیا و نازی هاست برام جالبه
اینم در عین کوتاهی کتاب پرمحتوایی بود

• After Midnight
  • La rosa di Alessandria
  • Songs for the Butcher's Daughter
  • L'amico ritrovato
Born Kathrine Kressmann, she married Elliott Taylor in 1928. Her first and most famous book, "Address unknown", was initially published by Story magazine. As both the editor and her husband deemed the story "too strong to appear under the name of a woman", she took on the pseudonym Kressman Taylor, which she used for the rest of her professional life.
“But there is another realm where we can always find something true, the fireside of a friend, where we shed our little conceits and find warmth and understanding, where small selfishnesses are impossible and where wine and books and talk give a different meaning to existence.
There we have made something that no falseness can touch. We are at home.”
6 likes
“We are vain and we are dishonest because it is necessary to triumph over other vain and dishonest persons.” 4 likes