Start by marking “Redemption (Devereaux, #6)” as Want to Read:
Redemption (Devereaux, #6)

Redemption

(Devereaux #6)

He was a Civil War veteran, wounded in body and soul. And when his wife died unexpectedly, he retreated from life, craving only solitude and his happy memories. But his young son needed a mother's love and guidance -- even if Jake wanted no woman himself. So who better to choose than the town's spinster schoolmarm?

She had come to warn Jake his son was running wild. But she
Mass Market Paperback, 379 pages
Published December 27th 2005 by HQN Books (first published December 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Redemption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redemption

Viri
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comencé este libro sin mucho animo, porque ya había dejado empezados como 6 libros antes de este. Creo que estaba en vistas una resaca monumental que me habría dejado el ultimo libro de la Kleypas de no ser por este.

Jake es un veterano de la Guerra, ha perdido sus dos piernas y es un hombre amargado, huraño y más bien ermitaño.
Alicia es de esas protagonistas atípicas que tanto me gustan. Voluptuosa por no decir "gordita" y de armas tomar,una maestra que se mantiene en sus trece y da de que habl
Another refreshing HR with a lead heroine that’s a bit older, plainer, and bigger in body proportions than your usual lead. It’s nice to see this as it says that women can find true love and happiness in her relationships and in life no matter her outer looks. I liked seeing Alicia’s personality and strength of will shine out as she butts heads with Jake.

I also liked that the main struggle in the book was the building up of these guys’ relationship. There weren’t any murky individuals from the p
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. But then again, I'm a complete sucker for the reclusive, tortured hero. Jake is a wounded Civil War veteran, who lost portions of both his legs and is confined to a wheelchair. He then loses his wife to pnemonia and in his grief becomes a recluse. He has a young son who's unchecked behavior captures the attention of the local schoolteacher, and the schoolteacher who barges into his life captures the attention of Jake himself. Alicia is smart, practical, and kind - but n ...more
Laqua
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Es interesante que él sea un veterano de guerra sin las piernas, que necesita ayuda, y que ella sea diferente de lo habitual en romántica: en lo físico y en el carácter. No se deja amedrentar y no es una belleza descerebrada.
Me gustó la historia; le resta puntos que ella sea apresurada con algunas cosas (view spoiler)
Jacky Faber
I enjoyed the verbal battles between Jake and Alicia. The first half of the book was the best when they were having a battle of words. The second half was not too bad. I was glad Jake came to realize the worth of Alicia.

I did think that Alicia broke her bargain with Jake when she threatened to leave him. In the beginning of their relationship, Alicia told Jake she never broke her word. I also think that if Jake did not want to play the piano or share his music, that was his choice and had the ri
Tiffany H
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: second-choice
Heroine was hero’s second choice imo.
J Jares
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Civil War took his legs and pneumonia took his wife; Jake McPherson is a tragic figure. He’s become a recluse; his nine-year-old son Jason has become a problem – at school and around the town. Miss Alicia Merriweather, a thirty-year-old schoolteacher, has come to the McPherson home to talk with the father.

She’s shocked by the angry man she meets; Merriweather is a heavy, not particularly pretty woman who takes no nonsense from anyone. She goes toe-to-toe with McPherson, telling him about Jas
Readitnweep
****SPOILER ALERT***Bravery on the author's part in having a hero who lost both legs in the Civil War. Nothing sugar coated there. I found that, and the character as written, honest.

I rated the story lower, though, because I just could not get into the characters. Why? Both characters were written with a lot of honesty. The heroine was junoesque and older. I liked both characters well enough, but there was a lack of conflict. Jake's son creates the only real conflict, since they marry early on i
Linda
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that love Historical Western romances stories.
Shelves: ebooks, january-2015
I enjoyed this book. I have always enjoyed Carolyn Davidson's books. It's a sweet (with just a touch of heat) historical western romance!

Jake McPherson

NEEDED A BRIDE…

He was a Civil War veteran, wounded in body and soul. And when his wife died unexpectedly, he retreated from life, craving only solitude and his happy memories. But his young son needed a mother's love and guidance—even if Jake wanted no woman himself. So who better to choose than the town's spinster schoolmarm?

Alicia Merriweather

WA
Lucimar
Jake McPherson, ferido de guerra, era viúvo e necessitava de alguém para cuidar de seu filho. A princípio, o encontro de Alicia Merriweather com Jake foi turbulento porque ela foi contar-lhe que o filho estava indo por um mal caminho e pedia que ele tomasse providencias. Jake vivia recluso por conta de sua incapacidade e ela perda da mulher e de fato não queria nenhuma mulher se envolvendo em sua vida. Mas percebendo que o filho necessitava de uma mãe, decide pedi-la em casamento e Alicia decide ...more
Geri
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good overall.

May contain spoilers:

(view spoiler)
Starla
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This storyline was good and the writing wasn't too bad, but I wasn't believing it.
Some singers and musicians make you "feel" and so do some writers. Don't know if it was the author or just the story she was trying to tell, but I wasn't "feeling" it.
I rated it a three for sweet characters and a romance without loads of "too much information" sex scenes.
Would like to try another Carolyn Davidson book and see if the emotion is there for me.
Tanya T
Not your typical romance scenario. He's a wounded war veteran confined to a wheelchair because of the loss of his leg. She's described as a bigger than average woman and taller than the usual woman back in those days. He doesn't feel like a full man because of his disabilities and she because of her plain and non petite size. It's a very sweet love story and i really enjoyed this book.
Luli
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Ni bien ni mal…
La historia me ha parecido un poco aburrida, quizás por los cambios tan radicales en los personajes, no me ha parecido realista, o quizás sea que la historia, aunque no está mal, tampoco tiene nada original.
Me ha resultado empalagosa a ratos.
Lo dicho, no ha estado mal aunque tampoco ha sido nada remarcable. Un aprobado liso: 2.5 stars.
Hopefulpuffin
This wasn't bad but it all wrapped up a bit too quickly for me. I was also a little concerned it was going to be more of an "inspirational" based on the plot but it wasn't. Certainly no super graphic content but definitely not clean either.

Older heroine (30) which was nice. The boy was certainly intrepid for a 9 year old.

Part of a series but can be read as a stand-alone with no problems.
kate
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Comfortable read

A reread for me. Not the most likable hero though God knows he has real issues. Not the most likable child but considering his father who could blame him. Now the heroine. Well she was a saint. Glad it all worked out for her. A soft 4.
Pam
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Read this one in a day. I enjoyed it a lot. I liked both the tortured hero, Jake, and the plucky but self-conscious heroine, Alicia. Westerns with tortured heroes are my favorite romance genre, and this one definitely fit the bill.
Jo  Christopher
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy Reading

This is light reading for pure relaxation
It was a sweet story with somewhat unusual main characters. I read it through in one setting. What it lacked in depth it made up for in light and easy entertainment.
Terry
Dec 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this book in two sittings. When the real world is ugly and crazy, it is nice to escape to a simpler time where the people are kinder and think of others. No cussing, no explicit sex, no werewolves, aliens, murders or hate. Lovely way to escape a little while.
Jeanne
May 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Pointless little romance. Spinsterish schoolmarm marries cranky Civil War vet to help raise his son.
Karen Darling
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was not as good as I thought it was going to be, very disappointed.
Michele
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Davidson does not disappoint in Redemption. The story is well crafted, the characters well defined and the plot solid.
Christel
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: carolyn-davidson
A really sweet book about redemption like the title states.
Paula
Dec 28, 2014
Hilda
Jan 09, 2017

• Joe's Wife
  • Two Texas Hearts (McQuillen #2)
  • The Bridal Veil
  • A Hearing Heart
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Shotgun Wedding
  • The Morning Side of Dawn (Holt, #3)
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • Rocky Mountain Man (Bluebonnet Bride, #6)
  • The Key
  • The Captain and the Wallflower
  • Ugly Girl Ties the Knot (Ugly Girl Series #2)
  • Train Station Bride (Crawford Family, #1)
  • Eden Creek
  • Hester Waring's Marriage
  • Matthew (Circle Eight, #1)
  • Without Words
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
Carolyn Davidson began writing in 1986, knowing absolutely nothing about the craft. Her first three books were rejected by Harlequin.

She met Dixie Browning at a Harlequin dinner in Charleston, South Carolina, and told Dixie she was writing, but that she feared she was too old to begin such an undertaking. Dixie's response spurred Carolyn to pursue her dream. Dixie said, in her own inimitable fashi

Devereaux (6 books)
  • Loving Katherine (Devereaux #1)
  • The Wedding Promise (Devereaux #2)
  • Maggie's Beau (Devereaux #3)
  • The Seduction of Shay Devereaux (Devereaux #4)
  • The Marriage Agreement (Devereaux #5)