Start by marking “The C++ Programming Language” as Want to Read:
The C++ Programming Language

The C++ Programming Language

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  3,040 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
More than three-quarters of a million programmers have benefited from this book in all of its editions Written by Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++, this is the world's most trusted and widely read book on C++. For this special hardcover edition, two new appendixes on locales and standard library exception safety (also available at www.research.att.com/ bs/) have been ...more
Hardcover, Special Edition, 1040 pages
Published February 11th 2000 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The C++ Programming Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The C++ Programming Language

David Sarkies
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
A Reference Manual for a Useful Computer Language
14 March 2016

Honestly, I'm not really sure why I ended up reading this book. Okay, part of it may have something to do with my interest in getting back into computer programming but considering that the only programming language I have ever used is BASIC (though you could also throw in Neverwinter Nights, namely because they did have a pretty sophisticated editing suite which allowed me an enormous amount of freedom when I spent three years of my
Terran
Feb 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read the first, second, and third editions of this book. (Before I gave up my evil ways and switched to Java.) The most concise thing to say about the language can be summarized by placing the three volumes on the shelf next to each other. That makes it clear how much the scope of the language has expanded over time (approximately doubling on each edition). It's a sign of how tricky language design is -- Stroustrop was essentially forced to add some rather byzantine constructs over time to ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
Honestly, I kind of detest C++ as a language - too easy to write shitty code, too easy to lose pointers and leak memory, and it was kind of a hack to force object oriented programming onto C. All that being said, this is the C++ Bible by Stroustrup and had a vast impact on computing in the 90s and 2000s before Java and its many children and inspired cousins took over. Highly readable (for a geek computer language book), it is a nerd classic.
Amol Gawai
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This shall not be your first book on C++. It is a heavy book and explains many design decisions for the language. If you want to master C++, this is a must read.
Adam
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
This book was a beast. I tried to read it front-to-back, and it ended up taking me over a year to do it (including lots of downtime and time off due to information overload). So I wouldn't recommend that. I suggest reading the first chapters in order and then hitting the rest of them piecemeal as you run into something relevant in your life.

That said, this book was incredible. I don't know why this wasn't required reading as part of my college education. All the rest of my textbooks should have
Shortempered
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: intermediate to pro
Recommended to Shortempered by: mentor at IBM
not a book for a beginner, read it if you already know what you are reading..
the best..Author is my personalized GOD !

Well, I stick to my review more firmly now that I have almost completed (only once) this super-genius work.
To be more specific about the book:

The book is source of almost everything you might want to know about the C++ or probably insight of everything to what one programming language has to offer. Although book is comprehensive, it is not a book made for you, if you are just s
Tom Lawrence
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book is considered to be the ultimate C++ bible as it's written by the creator of C++ himself, Bjarne Stroustrup, although I much prefer Big C++ as a reference book. This book is also clearly written by a straight programmer who isn't great when it comes to documentation as many of his explanations of the language are long-winded and overcomplicated for no reason.

It is worth noting that if you're looking for a book that serves as an introduction to the language, stay well clear from this an
Graham
Jul 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c
poor plot development
Dave
Sep 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
A great book about an awful language.
Steve
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: C++ programmers
Shelves: technical
One of the lessons that has stuck with me from Strunk and White's Elements of Style is Rule #17: Omit Needless Words.

Bjarne Stroustup does not.

Consequently, it makes a challenging task -- trying to learn and understand the complexities and nuances of C++ -- even harder. If you're writing C++, this book probably belongs on your shelf. But you should learn from and refer to better books.
Michael
Aug 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Computer Geeks
This book has the basics of C++ at the beginning, though it may not be the best book to read if you are a novice programmer. There are many insights into advanced concepts in C++ (e.g. this has the best section on how to use templates and the STL algorithms that I've seen in print). A great reference for professionals to have on their shelf.
Morris
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
A colleague was quite scornful when I revealed I did not own the 3rd edition of this book. The first two editions are wonderful guides to the language. This edition mostly adds pages of Stroustrup's opinions as to what constitutes good programming practices. Though they are obviously of interest, I find that they are often too general to be useful and occasionally are self-contradictory.
Max Lybbert
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Do not try to learn C++ from this book. But get a copy and read it through when you have the basics down. Valuable advice is hidden throughout the book.
Indra Wicaksono
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is a holy book for C++ programmers
Tony
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is the reference on this programming language. It attempts to follow in the footsteps of "The C Programming Language," which was thin but useful and more than a little amusing.

It succeeds in being a useful reference to this heavily-used language. The author, though, doesn't have the wit of the earlier authors and some attempts seem forced. Also, this is a much larger language. Part of why the earlier book was so thin was that the language itself was rather small and depended on librari
Doug Livesey
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
So far this book is sterling -- all the incredible detail I could ever need about the minutae of C++ coding & compiling. I'm delighted as I wanted a refresher that wasn't a patronising tutorial, and this suits me fine! Not only what I wanted, but tonnes of detail I never even knew I wanted.
It's nice to see a book focused on teaching a programming language, rather than one that tries to teach you programming, too. I think these are very different concepts & should have different books, an
Nguyen Son
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-structured, well-written. And the best part of it is that it was written by C++ creator
Israel Hsu
Jun 20, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: computer programmers
Shelves: own, computers
This is the authoritative reference on the C++ programming language. This book works best as a reference. Do not try to learn the C++ language from this book; its dense reference-filled text is too difficult to decipher for the beginner. However, I have found it to be very useful as a reference. For example, while designing and programming a set of complex generic templates, this book helped me untangle a series of mysterious compiler errors.
Charles H
Aug 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is the definitive book on the C++ programming language written by the man Bjarne Stroustrup himself. While those who are unfamiliar with C++ should avoid it, experienced C++ programmers will find that it can perfect their abilities. Nearly every intricacy and trick of the language is discussed. In fact, the only thing I've been unable to find is whether or not friendships inherit between classes - a rather obscure piece of C++ lore (they don't).
Wood
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Revisiting some of the newer stuff in C++ since I've been away a few years doing mostly Java. I was hesitant to get this book because it I thought it would be more of a reference like his earlier books and he is the inventor of the language. To my surprise, this is a very well rounded book. Highly recommended.
Steven
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
The original and best book that covers the design and syntax of the C++ programming language - still the language for 'real' programmers, who like their programs to be hard to write and harder to understand.
Samkit
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
It changed the way I started coding and brought me down to real life style which is admired and respected by communities around the world.
Reggie
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic C++ book. I picked this up only shortly before I stopped coding in C++ and I wish I'd had it much earlier.
Brian
Feb 28, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is not a good read but very useful when looking for specifics in syntax or methodology. A great technical reference (especially for compiler design) but not a good tutorial by any stretch.
Michael
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: code, nonfiction
If you must use C++, this book is certainly recommended.
Helmy Kusuma
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
The basic of the basics.. if you are serious about programming, you should read this
Jeff
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
Required reading and reference for every C++ developer
Thomas 'afin'
Oct 02, 2007 rated it liked it
It helped me much to passed the Object-Oriented subject for the second time.
Because of this book, object-oriented becomes my subject :)
Make
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Every computer fan must read one of these books, because it is essential to computer knowledge. It's not for everyone, only for the programming crowd.
David Melik
  • The C Programming Language
  • Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment
  • C++ Primer
  • Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example
  • Programming Perl (3rd Edition)
  • Programming Windows
  • Learning Perl
  • The Art of Computer Programming, Volume 1: Fundamental Algorithms
  • Writing Secure Code

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“There are only two kinds of languages: the ones people complain about and the ones nobody uses.” 19 likes
“Proof by analogy is fraud.” 5 likes