Start by marking “The Client” as Want to Read:
The Client

The Client

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  401,094 ratings  ·  2,542 reviews
In two years since the firm first captured the imagination of America's readers, John Grisham, with three consecutive number-one bestsellers, has become one of the most popular authors of our time. Now, in The Client, he has written a novel so irresistible, so thoroughly entertaining and satisfying, that it is sure not only to please his millions of fans, but to win him ne ...more
Hardcover, 1st edition, 422 pages
Published March 1993 by Doubleday Books

·  401,094 ratings  ·  2,542 reviews

Start your review of The Client
John Grisham
Oct 19, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wrote
Knew the ending, but still enjoyed it.
Doug Cannon
Grisham has a way of writing a real page-turner. This was one of those books that I just couldn't put down. The suspense was intense, and the story was good.

When I finished the last page, and I finally did put it down, I couldn't help thinking I had just wasted my time. I mean, I was thoroughly entertained for every minute of the book, but when I was done, I was left with nothing but the memories of my entertainment.

Good book, excellent author, but lacking in anything real. I've read 4 Grisham n
Rob
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really terrific read, a great story line with some memorable characters.

Two young boys, brothers, are unwitting witnesses to a suicide. The older boy does all he can to stop the man from this act but to no avail. The man shoots himself in the head but before doing so he tells the young boys, Mark Sway, his reason for doing it. This information now marks Mark as a threat to the MOB. The FBI is desperate for Mark to reveal all he’s been told but after being threatened by the MOB to keep
Stephen Robert Collins
I read this before the move was made. This the perfect example of how very much American laws & justices system is so different from British law special with children.
This an excellent crime court room drama that only Grisham could write as he was trained court lawyer which is needed to get the facts dead right. After all you need how to crack eggs to make an omelette you would not expect a bricklayer to try to make a swimming pool on upstairs flat.
This like all his books twists & turns like top
Patrick
Feb 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
The book tells of a boy who happens upon a mob lawyer who commits suicide. But before he commits suicide, he divulges information on where the body of the murdered Senator was hidden by his mob boss. Fearing reprisal by the mob or the FBI for lying, he hires a lawyer to get him out of this mess.

I only slightly dislike this book because the premise of the book is weak. I could not get over the fact that the kid could have avoided the whole suspense by telling the FBI the truth about the body of
Suzanne
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away, owned
This was just what I wanted, a quick read, some action and a good fast paced storyline. So what if the hero was a 10 year old boy, I enjoyed it! My attention was held throughout, which is my sign of a good read, and the main characters were all likeable. Mark and Reggie were loveable in their own ways, and it was fun seeing the youngster outsmart the thugs and the FBI. I highly recommend this book if you're after an easy read.
Sumit RK
Neither a court room dram nor a gripping thriller. The climax is really over the top.
W
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grisham
Murder,the mob and an eleven year old kid,this is a Grisham thriller with a humorous touch.

Mark is an eleven year old kid,who lives with his mother and brother in a trailer.He witnesses the suicide of a mafia lawyer,who tells him an explosive secret before he dies.

A US senator is missing.Is he even alive and if not,where is the body ? Mark now knows something that both the FBI and the mafia are interested in finding out.

As the pressure on him increases,he succeeds in finding a female lawyer who
Nancy Steinle gummel
I had seen the movie years ago so I had a general idea about the book. The book is so much better than the movies. The book goes into so much more detail. It's so life like with the Mob element and how devious the goverment is when trying to pursue their agenda.
Lili  Marcus
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: legal-fiction
It all started when Mark Sway (11) took his younger brother Ricky (8) in a secluded part of a park to teach him how to smoke. They were just doing their business when a shiny car arrived and apparently the driver was trying to kill himself and did so by the end. Suddenly Mark along with his brother(who suffers a trauma) became witnesses of not only a suicide of a well-known lawyer, but Mark knows more than that. This is a story of an 11-year old boy caught up in a legal drama too big for hims ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
I remember when Grisham books were all the rage and surely read this one back in the day but honestly, I remember almost nothing about it. I believe it was your typical adult thriller but with almost no sex (this was the 80s after all) and just the typical jumping the shark kinds of hijinks. I know it because both a film and a TV series based on the idea of toxic waste by powerful companies and the way they attack whistleblowers and that is all great but I honestly don't recall being blown away ...more
Summer
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I like every book that Grisham wrote, period. This story is about a crazy, just horrible dilemma. Didn't like the movie…but hey, movies are almost always worse than a book, because they cut out a lot of stuff, they change the story plus, you don't have your own imagination portrayed in a movie.
Rebecca McNutt
I've got the film of this on VHS, but it was only recently that I read the book. is my favourite John Grisham book so far, and instead of just the usual legal thriller, an unexpected kid is caught up in the mystery of a shocking crime.
Natalie Vellacott
The Law, the Mob, a murder - and the mind of an eleven year old child...

Mark Sway and his younger brother Ricky set off to a secret location to sneak a quick smoke. They hear noises and realise they aren't alone. A vehicle arrives and a man in a business suit begins apparently attempting to kill himself by allowing the exhaust fumes to fill his car. The two young boys watch in horror as they realise what is happening. Mark decides to intervene...

I kept reading this to confirm the ending which wa
Elizabeth
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite John Grisham books. I realize this isn’t great literature. But sometimes you want a potato chip book. A bit mindless. Always enjoyable. A book that flows over you as you read it. This is the kind of book I want to read when I am stressed and life gets crazy. I won’t even bother going over plot points. There was a movie, a tv series, it’s been around forever. And it is exactly what I need.
Linh
Feb 23, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cwwj
Jun 28, 2010 added it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Cwwj by: No one
Caution: spoiler.

I always like Grisham's books in spite of the cartoonish political spin (Republicans uniformly evil; Democrats caring, sensitive, kind). This, his fourth book, was surely not one of his best, but only because there is a mile-wide hole in the plot. The solution to the dilemma of little Mark -- who possesses the secret of where the Senator's body is buried
-- was so overwhelmingly clear within the first 100 pages that each successive machination of Reggie's, each attempt to protec
John
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Client is about an eleven year old named Mark Sway and his little brother Ricky witnessing a suicide. Before the man killed himself he told Mark information about a murder case that was being looked at. Marks brother goes into shock from the suicide and he has to stay in the hospital for a while. Mark does not know if he should tell the FBI the information he received or not because he is scared for his family’s lives and his own. The Client takes place in a small town in Memphis. Mark is a ...more
Corey
This was my very first book that I've read by John Grisham, and I absolutely loved it, I really like his writing style and the book just really seems to drag you right into the story. I had never heard of Grisham until I had seen the movie The Client with Susan Sarandon and Tommy Lee Jones, and I've watched the movie several times, and my mom told me that the movie was based on a novel by John Grisham and she said he writes courtroom dramas. The book was excellent and very easy to follow, great ...more
Patrick
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The youtube audio is incomplete...don't waste your time. The recording is missing roughly three hours of the novel. What I read is vintage Grisham, gotta find another version. Feel like I lost a pet.
Teresa
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Sometimes you see things you were not meant to see and bad shit happens!
Abram
May 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
My Rating: 1/5

Everyone recommended John Grisham. So I bought The Client. The reviews for the books have been mostly positive. So I thought that this is a good read but It isn't. I couldn't go more that four chapters of the book. I tried again and again but It's just not good, So you know.....

So, This is a bad book. I won't recommend it to anybody. Thank you.
Sully (thysaltymar)
“You advised him not to get a lawyer, giving as one of your reasons the opinion that lawyers are a pain in the ass. Gentlemen, the pain is here." -Reggie Love, The Client

At first, I wasn't quite attached to this book because the first few chapters are kind of dull but, when I reached Chapter 3 (probably the chapter where the story begins to unfold) it gets more and more thrilling! It got me on the edge of my seat!
Also , I loved the characters, first the protagonist, an eleven-year-old boy named
Andre Gonzalez
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another thrilling ride from Grisham. I had a hard time putting this book down. The story just became more wild as it progressed!
Ravi Prakash
After a very long time, I read a crime-suspense novel. It didn't meet my expectations. I think the plot is over-streched and taking an eleven year old boy as a smart hero who got all his talent by watching movies seems somewhat unbelievable. The author could take a teenager on his place. The end of the novel makes you fool asking the question, "why did I waste so much time?"
Naddy
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why once in a year i crave for John Grisham may be because i started reading The Firm as first book, but couldn't complete due to some lame excuses or reasons. So, i picked The Client,

The Client will kick-start after 10 pages, you can predict the plot in 20 pages unless you don't read what is written on the back of book. By 30 pages you will find it very difficult to put down.

It is tale of a 11 year old boy Mark Sway who met a mob lawyer who was about to commit suicide. But before
Keegan
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I really like this movie and watched it before I'd ever read the book. But I remembered that this was one of the few cases where I liked both the book and the movie even where they didn't match up. I don't know that I'll read it again ever though because I did like the movie better this time around. I liked that there were just the three primary characters, for instance. And I admit that I liked that Foltrigg (while still being a loud mouth) wasn't quite the moron he is in the book-- but I'm sur ...more
CD
this is the book that made me not read any more of his books. It's like he woke up one morning and said, I'm done. He left countless threads unraveled. He dropped ideas. the ending was unbelievable and abrupt. All in all what could have been an amazing book was such a disappointment that it made me avoid him because I was so angry he wasted my time.
Dem
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
review to follow
Jen from Quebec :0)
I bought this book in 1994, when I was 13 years old. It was one of my few 'grown up books', sitting alongside all the Judy Blume and Gordon Korman novels that I owned.

Last week, a friend of mine asked to borrow this title, so I took it off the old shelf, dusted it off, and thought: "well, it's been over 20 years since I've actually READ this- I'll take a peek at the story before I bring it to my buddy."

I then read the entire book in one sitting.

It's a 'popcorn book', IMO. It READS like a MOVIE.
CaliGarden CBD Oil 1 3 Oct 30, 2019 04:15AM
UCAS English 11 R...: November Reading Assignment 1 2 Nov 30, 2018 09:05PM
UCAS English 10 H...: November Reading Assignment 1 3 Dec 11, 2017 09:24AM

• The Firm
  • The Juror
  • Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Day of the Jackal
  • 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #15)
  • Hide and Seek
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • Deception Point
  • Digital Fortress
  • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
  • Dan Brown Inferno (Robert Langdon) Unofficial Guide
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of