Start by marking “I Just Don't Like the Sound of No!: My Story about Accepting 'No' for an Answer and Disagreeing...the Right Way!” as Want to Read:

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  323 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Winner of the 2011 MOMs Choice Awards Honoring Excelence. Author Julia Cook helps K-6 readers laugh and learn along with RJ as he understands the benefits of demonstrating the social skills of accepting "No" for an answer and disagreeing appropriately both at home and in school. Tips for parents and educators on how to teach and encourage kids to use the skills appropriate ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Boys Town Press

Dawn
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
We had a little incident in our classroom where I had asked a student not to take something out at recess. He put it back and then when I wasn't looking, snuck it out to play with anyway.

Luckily, we have a brilliant and resourceful librarian. I asked her if she had any books on this kind of situation and she came up with this one. I had the student take the book and read it and answer some questions:

What is this book about?
What is the lesson we learn in the book?
Why do you think I picked this b
Lydia
The text focuses on giving children patience after someone has told them "no." I like the ideas of vary then answers that the young boy gives in the book. While "No" is certainly a response that is needed at times, it's helpful to provide young children with an explanation of why vs. simply saying no.
Kerry
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, therapy
A lot of special needs children have difficulty accepting 'no' to their requests, in fact so do many children. This book is a great way to approach the subject with a young child. Ms. Cook outlines the right way to accept disappointment and to enter a discussion of why rather than arguing. The pictures are adorable and so is R.J. who features in number of Julia Cook's stories.
Pawsitive School  Counselor
I got this book to use for a K student this year who had melt downs every time he heard the word "No." By the end of the year he would challenge me to say "no" just so he could show off his self control. Since my little ones have the hardest time with the word, I had to edit some of it.
Emily
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I think the book goes too far in the direction of accepting no for an answer. Good premise, but it doesn't feel right to me.
Maggie Mattmiller
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
GREAT book for teaching kids how to accept no, and also how to politely disagree! Highly recommend for home or classroom!
Maddie
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a social skills book about a little boy who constantly says how he hates the word no, and argues every time someone tries to tell him it. He complains and complains and keeps hearing that same ol' word he hates so much! He can't understand why so many people use it, and when he says he hates the word no, the people around him seem to say it more and firmer! One day his teacher tells him about acceptance. I do not like it, but I will do it starts by simply responding with "Okay." Soon the ...more
Maureen M
May 31, 2017 added it
Shelves: ecce-2203-se
This book is classified as fictional however, the scenario is realistic. The books targeted audience is children aged 3-7 years old. This is a very humorous story about the impact of ones’ actions. The illustrations humorously depict the somewhat exaggerated consequences of one’s actions. The CONTENT focuses on the following S/E skills and concepts. Self-Control and Self-Regulation. I would use this book during large group circle time to have a conversation about the word “No” discuss, give and ...more
Amanda Harris
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a good story that my 8 year old really enjoyed! Discusses how kids don't like being told no, but shows them how to accept no as an answer and the best way to respond when someone does say no.
Sasha
Should be required annual reading from age three+ along with the rest of the books in this series.
Danielle
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and can see the benefit of using it with certain clients. I will definitely be using it with my own kids one day if necessary.
Briana
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Main character RJ doesn't like the sound of NO so he has to work on it with help from school. Very focused and strategic social story!
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-favorites
great way to discuss with kids how to disagree and what other options are available other than "no".
Grace DeBaltzo
A story of RJ and everyone always tells him no. He wants people to say maybe or not yet. It was a little manipulative to children and not really a "fun" read but could be used for a lesson.
Narita
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I honestly don’t know of a child that likes to be told “no”. When children argue most parents argue back, reason, ignore, bribe, give in or lose patience. None of those are a good outcomes for either parent or child. Ms. Cook once again as written a book that helps both of them. Amusing, engaging, and written in just the way to reach a child’s heart and mind, this book can teach your youngster to learn to respond correctly when told no. This is a win-win situation for everyone and lays an import ...more
Donalisa Helsley
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I Just Don't Like The Sound of No is a story about a little boy named RJ. He has a problem accepting no. He likes to argue in the hopes that he can change that answer into something else. A teacher teaches him about the Say Yes to No Club. He learns the valuable skill of accepting no.

This book is a must for parents, teachers and anyone else that has contact with children. This story will help them learn a valuable social skill in a fun way. At the end of the book there are tips for parents and e
Emily Pinson
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is about accepting the word "no" for an answer. There's a little boy who just doesn't like the sound of no and he gets angry when people tell him no. He argues with his parents and teacher until his teacher gives him guidelines, which requires disagreeing in a positive manner and saying "okay", to be welcomed into an exclusive club.
This book was fun to read. I like how they made this geared towards little children who have a hard time hearing the word no and accepting it. Honestly, I w
Hailey
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-lit
RJ just hates the word no, he would rather use the word maybe or later. His teacher decides to show him the "just say yes to no" club. After his teacher showed him this RJ became okay with people telling him no and he would reply with "okay." His mom and teacher were so proud of him.
I liked this book because it shows how a teacher or parent can get their student/kid to stop backtalking if they say no to them. I liked the illustrations a lot too, they were very different from most books.
I would p
Sophia Martin
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book will be a great read aloud for younger students, preferably Pre-K through maybe1st. RJ hates to hear the word No. He wants to here maybe, or we'll see. He doesn't get why every answer has to be no. No he can't those smelly markers, no he can't have a sleepover. RJs teacher introduces a new club to her class: Say Yes to No Club. If the class learned how to except no, they got a star. Will RJ learn how to accept no? Read it and see!
Mary Feeney
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
p
Garren
Apr 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Overly didactic in an unsubtle way.
Susie Lund
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Great way to teach your kids about no.
Savannah
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great book for those children that like to argue with you about the answer they received, 'no'.
Elizabeth
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
An excellent children's book about accepting 'no' for an answer.
Danica
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: undamaged
Friendly drawings.
Marcie
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Another greatbook for bibliotherapy with individual children. I can se why tge Julia Cook books will be useful to parents and teachers.
Abby
Feb 14, 2014
Terri
Jan 02, 2015
  • A Terrible Thing Happened
  • When My Worries Get Too Big! A Relaxation Book For Children Who Live With Anxiety
  • What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Anger
  • Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker
  • Sometimes I'm Bombaloo
  • Stand in My Shoes: Kids Learning about Empathy
  • 104 Activities That Build: Self-Esteem, Teamwork, Communication, Anger Mangagement, Self-Discovery, and Coping Skills
  • How to Take the Grrrr Out of Anger
  • What If Everybody Did That?
  • The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes
  • The Way I Act
  • If Everybody Did
  • Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem
  • Learning to Slow Down and Pay Attention: A Kid's Book about ADHD
  • How to Do Homework Without Throwing Up
  • Moody Cow Meditates
  • The World Belongs to You
  • The Gift of Nothing
"In order to teach children, you must enter their view of the world."
~ Julia Cook

Julia is well-recognized as a national award-winning children's book author who has presented in over 800 schools across the country, regularly delivers keynote addresses at national education and counseling conferences, and already has over 80 published children's books.

The goal behind all of Julia's books and effor