Start by marking “Codes and Secret Writing” as Want to Read:
Codes and Secret Writing

Codes and Secret Writing

An introduction to simple codes and cyphers for children, including a history of codes.
Paperback
Published January 1st 1978 by Scholastic (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Codes and Secret Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Codes and Secret Writing

Start your review of Codes and Secret Writing
Carolyn Page
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Exactly the type for book I pored over when I was younger! This is a re-read, actually. All sorts of codes, ciphers, invisible inks, as well as books for further reading.
Cyd
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read something like this--perhaps a later version--when I was a kid in the 1970s. I'm keeping this one, along with the handy encoder/decoder I made for substitution ciphers. I wish I had had someone to exchange coded messages with when I was a kid. I remember trying to write invisibly using lemon juice.
Sunni
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great little book full of lots of information. As a child I had a ton of fun, and it even inspired a science project. This is a great one for all those kids who feel they have a lack of privacy, but make sure not to loose your copy, especially if you use it to write in your diary.
Alayna Josz
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this book i have had for about 25 years. i treasure it. it's a childhood relic of mine, very sentimental to me. i loved codes and mysteries and word play as a kid. this is an incredible little guide with lots of info tips ideas and history
Johnny Carruthers
This was the first book on cryptography that I ever bought. I originally bought the abridged edition published by Scholastic many years ago. In fact, it was the seventh book I ever bought for myself. In more recent years, I found a copy of the original, unabridged edition, and I eagerly snatched it up. (I'm pretty certain this was also the first book on cryptography that I ever read as well.)

A few days ago, I was looking over my bookshelves, and decided to give this another read. I wanted to see
Lyndon Hardy
Codes and Secret Writing by Herbert Zim is a children’s book. I read it when I was in third grade. It was fascinating. Especially the part about how could figure out what was in a simple substitution message without even knowing the key! Just what the guys needed when one of the communications from those irritating girls in the class was intercepted.

The book sparked my interest in cryptography in general, and over the years, I collected others in the field. They were usually one war behind, but
Deborah
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really good introduction to codes, ciphers, and secret writing. It's clearly and simply written, presented in a logical order, and sets out the basics of ciphering and deciphering in a very accessible way. My children are often astonished by how much I know about this subject and although I have also read far weightier tomes, it's the contents of this book that equip me with the essentials to answer my children's questions!

Of course, a really dedicated reviewer would have encrypted the review
Emmannuel
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

It helped me learn a few new ways to write and decipher things. I think I'm ready for Cryptograms but I need to give this book another go-round.

I love codes and references and wordplay and letterplay and cuneiform and stuff like that so this was a great introduction course into the world of words.

Like this is what motivated me to practice learning other languages.

I wish I could find more books like this, honestly.
Elijah Christopher
Feb 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book made no sense to me, and was rather a drag to get through.
James
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, diy
He wrote a ton of children's books back in the day, I'm nerdy enough to sort of remember this one.
CLM
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CLM by: Ward School Library
I was fascinated by codes as a child and enjoyed trying out those described in this book.
Alyce Chalmers
Sep 16, 2019

• The Kin of Ata Are Waiting for You
  • Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk
  • Letters from a Nut
  • Extra Nutty! Even More Letters from a Nut!
  • Fearless (Fearless, #1)
  • The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
  • More Letters from a Nut
  • Cat's Cradle
  • Holidays on Ice
  • The Art Book
  • Boys and Girls Together
  • Bernie
  • Understanding Cemetery Symbols: A Field Guide for Historic Graveyards (Messages from the Dead Book 1)
  • A New Flowering: 1000 Years of Botanical Art
  • Calypso
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
  • Miss Pickerell Goes Undersea
  • The Landmark History of the American People, Volume 1: From Plymouth to the West

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »