Start by marking “Testify” as Want to Read:
Testify

Testify

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  343 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Before you judge me, there are two things you should know about why I did it.

Shana Tremain is a good kid. She knows right from wrong and shes never been in any serious trouble. But when her best friend, Carrie, comes to her for help, Shana agrees to break the law to save Carrie from a molester. She even feels good about it for a while.

Then trouble starts. Someone in their
Published August 4th 2011 by Dundurn (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Testify, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Testify

Esraa G.
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Esraa by: Red Maple-Forest Of Reading
Testify By Valerie Sherrard.

This novel is about a teenage girl that lied in court while testifying about her best friend being sexually molested by her stepfather.
Her best friend had begged her to testify and lie because she was worried about being molested.

The main character is the teenage girl and her name is Shana protagonist. Her best friend Carrie believe it or not is the antagonist in the book.

In this book Shana has a group of friends including: Hailey, Carrie, Jen, Kaity. Hailey figures
Shelby
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was amazing. in the beginning i was starting to understand why Shana(the main character) had lied in the court to help her best friend, Carrie, who was going to court because she calmed that her step-father, Joe, had molested her. As soon as problems started to happen in their little group i had started to wonder if this whole testimony against Joe was a lie. Some of the problems that had really surprised me was when Carrie had said that she was going to talk to one of h ...more
Sarah Horner
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: red-maple, ya-books
RED MAPLE NOMINEE This is a quick read that really grabs you quickly. The dynamic between the female characters in this book is rather interesting. It will make for some interesting discussions about "truth" and honesty. A few surprising twists keeps the reader on their toes in this short quick novel. If you have reluctant girl readers this is a great book as it moves quickly and is not all that long or difficult.
Bob101
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was amazing. I thought it was good because the way the author wrote the book leaves you wondering after every chapter. Something I thought was a little confusing at times was that so much was going on in the book at once so sometimes it was hard to follow. My favourite character was Shana because she always a sweet girl and always did what she thought was right but she makes a huge mistake and I think that's what makes her so interesting.
Clara
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Did not enjoy the ending; the way the conflict was solved.
Elly
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was excellent. Whenever I read books it bugs me because I always end up predicting what happens and it becomes less interesting but this book was very shocking and all over the place yet very easy to understand. The plot was great and overall 4/5.
M.G
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amy's Book Reviews
Grade-B+

When Shana agrees to lie on the witness stand to say she saw her best friend's stepfather molesting her, she feels like she's saving Carrie. But soon after, Shana begins to have doubts. Is Carrie capable of such a lie, and if she's capable of that, what else might she do?

TESTIFYING was a fun read, despite the seriousness of the subject. Shana is a likable character, much too trusting of her best friend, even after the evidence mounts. Her naïveté, at first understandable at some point tu
Celina
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found that it had a unique story-line. I feel that Carrie has such a strong character but might of been written better. More information of why she was like that. Did something happen in her childhood or is it generic? Maybe she is just whacked. She thinks that she has everything planed so perfectly yet a fifteen girl, who has no detective training, figures it out. Real smart she is!
Weajue
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite books that I read in middle school.The further you get into this book, the more the plot thickens and you don't know who to believe. The ending was crazy, I was at the edge of my seat!
Amaal
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was great in had so much excitement in it andi also thought that the character Carrie was very crazy and i don't understand why she would do it i mean it is a crazy idea. Anyway i thiught it was great and anyone that didn't read should read it as awesome!!
Meghan McCracken
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is really short but keeps you off your seat the whole entire time.
Just read this book soooo good.
Chenny Wu
This is a pretty good mystery book that's also teen fiction which is a good mix up. I really like the plot of this book, it's all twisted up and unexpected. I never thought that a person can be mean to her friends, the way that Carrie was being mean to her friends. Why would she even pretend to be friends with her, if she didn't like her in the first place. She's a person that just uses people for her needs, like she used Shana to testify at the court for her. I really think that Shana is really ...more
Sibella
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Find this review and others here: http://reviewsofyabooks.blogspot.ca/

Introduction
Shana Temain and Carrie are best friends. So when Carrie comes to Shana saying that she is being molested by her stepfather, Shana knows that Carrie is telling the truth She will do whatever it takes to help her. Carrie convinces Shana to testify in court. Shana's testimony states that she saw Carrie's stepfather molest her. Which of course is a lie, but for a while Shana doesn't care about her lie. Especially aft
Me
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This book had an interesting concept, and some interesting elements but there simply wasn't enough. The technical details throughout the book are well thought out and planned, yet any specific details concerning the exact how or why is unknown.

Testify tried to keep the reader in the dark too hard, and yet never revealed the information that was being hidden. The entire book the reader was being talked down to, and never actually there. This sinificantly cut off the reader from any emotions and
Rhiannon Ryder
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Single white female for middle school/YA audiences, Testify follows Shana as she discovers her best friend Carrie is a master manipulator who's always two steps ahead of everyone. Too bad Shana agreed to testify against Carrie's step dad, saying she witnessed him molesting Carrie when she didn't actually.

Although a good story, I didn't like Testify as much as Accomplice, the tone felt younger than I think it was actually meant for. I couldn't put my finger on it exactly, since it was the same ag
Muffin Thief
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Are you sure if you can really trust your best friend?

This story follows 6 friends, specifically Shana and Carrie. Shana is truly a decent kid, always tries to do the right thing. Shana will do whatever it takes to help her best friend Carrie, even if it involves going against what is right. In this case, Carrie really doesn’t like her stepfather, so she makes up that he molested her. Although Shana wasn’t actually a witness, she chooses between losing her best friend or testifying something she
Nigarsan
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Testify by Valerie Sherrard
This book is about a girl named "Shana Tremain" who would do anything to he best friends, especially her best friend,Carrie. When Carrie asks her to go to court in protecting her from her dad who she said to be a molester, she does it and felt good about it for a while. Then, on of their line of friends are lying and stealing from each other from one of their friends.But, Shana doesn't believe a thing about it and starts investigating the truth of it only made it mor
Sheila
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book about a teen who lies to protect a friend from what she believes is sexual abuse from her stepfather. The relationships amongst the group of young girls are particularly well done. The story moves along at a great pace, and never lets you down. It doesn't take long for Shana to discover that her friend Carrie has lied to her - and about more than the abuse. Carrie is the only character who is a little over-the-top, but she is really so interesting and scary that it does ...more
Maggie61
I wanted to read this one after seeing a write up in the book section of the paper where it got a great review.
This was a really quick read as it is meant for a younger audience than what I am, yet I still totally enjoyed it.
Friendships of young teen girls are fascinating yet very scary. It takes so little to make someone an outcast. There's always a "queen" who makes the rules and everyone takes direction from.
Shana belongs to a group of girls with Carrie as her best friend. After testifying o
Shonna Froebel
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian
This short teen novel is about a teen, Shana, who is just trying to be a good friend. Her best friend Carrie confided in her that her new stepfather was abusing her, but she needed help to prove it. Shana was so upset about this and convinced by Carrie's emotional confession that she agreed to testify in court that she had seen him touch Carrie inappropriately, even though she hadn't seen anything.
Afterward, when Hayley, another friend in their group, is accused of stealing by Carrie, Shana begi
Danielle
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I started off feeling extremely sympathetic for Carrie, but that changed at the book went on. Shayna is best friends with Carrie, and as the book progresses her thoughts start to change. (view spoiler) I think that Shayna was very strong throughout this whole book, because if I was in her situation I don`t really know what I would do. She was quick thinking. (v ...more
Cherie
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shana thinks she did the right thing breaking a law to save Carrie from a molester. But when problems begin to unfold between Shana and her group of friends, she starts to question whether or not Carrie was telling the truth. As her suspicions grow stronger, she decides to find a way to right her wrong and prove Carrie guilty.

But Shana must be careful with who she trusts, for Carrie is always one step ahead of her.

I picked up this book because it is one of the ten Red Maple books this year.
Kelly
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january-2013
Shana is testifying for her friend Carrie in the courtroom because she "saw" Carrie's stepfather molest her. The only problem is she didn't see a thing(as in "she lied"). Soon after, their things start mysteriously disappearing and Carrie blames Hayley their friend. Shana starts doubting that the stepfather actually molested Carrie and starts to fix things.

I picked up this book because it's a Red Maple book.

I finished this book because I wanted to know what happens next every time Shana is prese
Stone He
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story is about Carrie's step-dad being accused for abusing her and Shanna was told to lie at the trial as being a witness. Carrie's step-dad was found guilty and Carrie seems to be really happy about it. But things began to go wrong when one of Shanna's friend Hayley was accused for stealing jewelry until Shanna found out that it was Carrie behind this. Soon, Shanna became one of Carrie's "victims" and Carrie lied to the police about the things that Shanna did to her.
I chose this book becau
Amanda Gray
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book as one of the staff advisors at my school. Overall the story was a decent storyline and when I take into account the fact that this books is geared to 12-14 year olds it is easy to see that the storyline would be perfect for that age. To me the story was pretty predictable and the ending made me actual laugh out loud at how the cell phone was used. That said, again, for the age range the book is intended for, it works very well for the story. The whole concept of this story did ...more
Lina L.A
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book is easy for my reading level and it was so good.
It talks about a girl who never got in trouble.her name is shane.
But right she is getting in trouble why do you thinck i can tell you why because her best freiend start to bully her and her other friend too. her best friend name is carrie and her other friend name hayli .
In every chapter shane get in trouble in every chapter she get in big trouble............ i fell soooooo bad for shane she never get in trouble and right she is .
Kimberly
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Such a different book from her book, The Glory Wind, which I loved. This book was a bit too forward for me - it felt written as a mass market seller with everything laid out so you didn't have to think too much and could wrap up quickly. But that's kind of the way a teenage girl lives her life in these times of social media, cliques, and reality television. I liked the character development and just wished there was more. Good book for the age group (grades 7/8) with great messages about the pow ...more
Leslie
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
With Shana's help as a witness Carrie's step father is accused and sentenced for molesting her. Then things change. What Shana begins to suspect about her best friend Carrie surprises, shocks and then frightens her.

The story moves quickly from the court through the unravelling of Shana's friendship with Carrie and reveals a series of unexpected events that lead us to a believable resolution.

recommended: 13+

Subject/ Theme: realistic, friendship, honesty
Note: Reference to underage drinking
Randy
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shana has told a lie. What makes this significant is that she told the lie in court to support her friend, Carrie. The thing is, she is discovering that Carrie may not have been completely truthful with her. When she feels that she should rectify the situation, things begin to spiral out of control.

I picked this book up because it is on this year's Red Maple list.

I finished it to see how Shana's plan would turn out.

I would recommend this to Zarina. I think she may like the character of Shana.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Crush. Candy. Corpse.
  • The Tiffin
  • First Descent
  • End of Days
  • The Town That Drowned
  • The Vindico (The Vindico, #1)
  • The Dragon Turn (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • Undergrounders
  • Neil Flambé and the Toyko Treasure (The Neil Flambé Capers #4)
  • True Blue
  • True Confessions of a Heartless Girl
  • Jump Cut (Spencer #1; Seven #3)
  • Dead Man's Switch (Dead Man's Switch #1)
  • The Silent Summer of Kyle McGinley
  • The Vampire Stalker
  • Fragile Bones: Harrison & Anna
  • Betsy Wickwire's Dirty Secret
  • Lost Cause (Steve #1; Seven #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“And yet, I am left with a kind of sadness that I can't quite explain.” 3 likes