Start by marking “Magic Steps (The Circle Opens, #1)” as Want to Read:
Magic Steps (The Circle Opens, #1)

Magic Steps (The Circle Opens #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  19,342 Ratings  ·  372 Reviews
"'Magic? Me, do magic?' Magic was a thing of schools and books. No proper Acalon did magic. 'Oh, no--please, you're mistaken, my lady. I'm no mage.'

Sandry met his eyes squarely. 'You just danced a magical working, Pasco Acalon. I am never mistaken about such things.'"

Four years after we last saw the young mages Sandry, Tris, Daja, and Briar in the Circle of Magic quar

Published March 1st 2000 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Magic Steps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Steps

Arielle Walker
It's been too many years since I read this second quartet in the Circle of Magic series. I missed the full cast reading, but it's still so nice to give the words your own full attention. A few gaps in the story have been filled - now on to the next!
Ashley
This is more like a really high three, but I'm rounding up because of sentiment. I still find myself wanting more from the Emelan books, and not getting it. They just take place in such a short period of time, and there isn't much character interaction. There was even less in this one than usual, because the four main characters are split up, each character getting their own spotlight book while the others are off having adventures in other parts of the world.

This one is Sandry's book, and the m
Wealhtheow
Four years after the magical plague swept their city in Briar's Story, the magical students of Winding Circle have separated to pursue further training. Sandry, whose gift lies in weaving magic as though it were thread, discovers a boy with a strange ability. Unlike ordinary mages, he has to dance to do magic. Everyone else in his family is a harrier (the city's version of police), but Sandry convinces them to let him train with her.

Meanwhile, a feud between merchant clans leads to murder, as a
Rachel
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alexa
I adore this series! You can see my series review on the blog.
Nancy
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Tamora Pierce destroys me emotionally.
Freya
review to come :)
Sophie
This was cute. The Emelan books aren't as compelling to me as Tortall, but I liked the idea of dancing magic a lot. WHOA, though, that ending is WAY more violent than Pierce usually goes with.
Jason Beineke
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and it is a book that is on a higher maturity level than the original Circle of Magic books. Among the themes at play here are Sandry's devotion to her uncle and her desire to care for him out of selfless love as opposed to the selfishness of Duke Vestry's third son and current heir. In the original Circle of Magic books we saw Sandry as both the most psychologically damaged of the four youths due to her accidental imprisonment in the dark and also as the most compassi ...more
Kylara Jensen
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic-school
Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, #1) by Tamora Pierce is one of my favorite nostalgic books of my childhood. I find it so fun and comforting to read.

I love this book as an expansion of that. I love seeing Sandry really coming into her own as a full mage and spending more time with her uncle.

The new characters are fun and I think it's interesting to see more of how Tamora Pierce separates her two lands. We see police work and mages in this one but it's totally different from how things work in the Beka Cooper series.

Anyway I've been having a lot
  • The Wizard's Dilemma (Young Wizards, #5)
  • The Crown of Dalemark (The Dalemark Quartet, #4)
  • Half-Human
  • Song Quest (The Echorium Sequence, #1)
  • Forging the Sword (The Farsala Trilogy, #3)
  • Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)
  • Across the Great Barrier (Frontier Magic, #2)
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

The Circle Opens (4 books)
  • Street Magic (The Circle Opens, #2)
  • Cold Fire (The Circle Opens, #3)
  • Shatterglass (The Circle Opens, #4)