Start by marking “Introduction to Algorithms” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Algorithms

Introduction to Algorithms

This title covers a broad range of algorithms in depth, yet makes their design and analysis accessible to all levels of readers. Each chapter is relatively self-contained and can be used as a unit of study. The algorithms are described in English and in a pseudocode designed to be readable by anyone who has done a little programming. The explanations have been kept element ...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 1180 pages
Published September 1st 2001 by MIT Press (MA) (first published December 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction to Algorithms, please sign up.
Jose Andres In my opinion an essential book, one of those that definitely deserves to be on the shelf of every programmer. Very well structured, easy to read, wit…moreIn my opinion an essential book, one of those that definitely deserves to be on the shelf of every programmer. Very well structured, easy to read, with nice pseudocode and great exercises. It give you a solid foundation in algorithms and data structures. Recommended to have a decent mathematical background, to make a better use of the book. Without doubts read this book will make you a better programmer in the long run.(less)

Start your review of Introduction to Algorithms
Shawn Morel
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
What a terrible book. Though it's the cornerstone of many CS undergrad algorithm courses, this book fails in every way. In almost every way, Dasgupta and Papadimitriou's "Algorithms" is a much better choice: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

It tries to be a reference book presenting a good summary of algorithms but any of the interesting bits are left as "exercises to the student." Many of these exercises are do-able but far from trivial mental connections. A few require some mental Ah Ha
Khaled Alhourani
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: algorithms
An essential book for every programmer, you can't read this kind of book on bus, you need to fully constraint while reading it. The exercises after each chapter are very important to fully understand the chapter you just read, and to activate your brain's neurons. The book in itself is an outstanding one, very organized, focused and small chapters makes it easier to understand the algorithms inside it.

It contains the essential and most popular algorithms, so you can't live wthout it if you are r
Saharvetes
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rather pointless to review this, as in most places this is the algorithms textbook. It's a good book that covers all the major algorithms in sufficient detail with every step clearly spelled out for the students' benefit.

Unfortunately, this neatness of presentation is also its most major drawback: (1) it spends more time describing algorithms than giving the reader an idea of how to design them, and (2) it can easily give the impression that algorithms is about spending a lot of time proving obv
Alex
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
While searching for a Bible of algorithms, I of course quickly gravitated towards Knuth's Art of Computer Programming series. It's thousands of pages long — a magnum opus still in progress; how could it not be the most desirable source?

My research quickly yielded mixed opinions from the community. Some loved Knuth's books, while others found their language impenetrable, their code irrelevant, or their assertions wrong or out of date.

All, on the other hand, universally praised Introduction to Al
Nick Black
An essential, well-written reference, and one it's quite possible to read through several times, picking up new info each time. That having been said....this book never, I felt, adequately communicated THE LOVE. The pseudocode employed throughout is absolutely wretched, at times (especially in later chapters) binding up and abstracting away subsidiary computational processes not with actual predefined functions but english descriptions of modifications thereof -- decide whether you're writing co ...more
Josh Davis
I've been reading CLRS on and off for years. I read bits at a time and have been picking and choosing chapters to read and reread. I must say that without a doubt this is the best textbook I have ever read. I could not recommend it anymore for anyone that wishes to learn about data structures and algorithms well. The authors never skimp on the math and that's my favorite part of this book. Almost every idea that is presented is proven with a thorough proof. All of the pseudocode is completely go ...more
Koen Crolla
Some people just really enjoy typing, I guess. Not so much communicating, though: I was already pretty familiar with almost all of the algorithms and data structures discussed (the bit on computational geometry was the only thing that was completely new), but I can honestly say that if Introduction to Algorithms had been my first textbook, I wouldn't be.

(Also, I wish editors would stop writers when they try to use 1-indexed arrays in their books. Or, for that matter, pseudocode in general. Machi
Arif
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
Well, technically I didn't finish reading all the chapters in the book, but at least I've read most of it. The topics in the book is well explained with concise example. But sometimes, I need to find out the explanation by myself, things that I found interesting but sometimes frustrating. If I run into this situation, sometimes I need to find another reference to help me understand the problem. But still, this is a good book.
Blog on Books
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Algorithms, which perform some sequence of mathematical operations, form the core of computer programming. Intended as a text for computer programming courses, especially undergraduate courses in data structures and graduate courses in algorithms, an “Introduction to Algorithms” provides a comprehensive overview, that will be appreciated technical professionals, as well.

The major topics presented are sorting, data structures, graph algorithms and a variety of selected topics. Computer programmer
Erik
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Final exam: completed. This damn textbook: ignored from here on out.

Whenever I look at it now, all I can think of is Alex in Clockwork Orange: "Eggiwegs! I want to SMASH THEM!"

This book did not help me in my class, not one tiny bit. Like so many other math-oriented textbooks, there is literally not one damn thing in the book that is not teachable but the teaching moments are all lost in math gymnastics, over-explaining, under-explaining, etc. Please, just once, let someone with the teaching tal
Sumit Gouthaman
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think this book is incorrectly positioned as an "Introduction" to algorithms.

If you are interested in learning algorithms, this should probably not be the first book you read. I would instead recommend Robert Sedgewick's book or course on Coursera.

The problem with this comes down to the fact that is focuses too much on the mathematical details, while ignoring other interesting aspects. Many crucial aspects of classic algorithms are relegated to the exercises section instead of being covered fr
Wouter
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
It has ben 14 years since I touched a math-oriented theoretical work like this, and that hurt a lot while slogging through this textbook. After graduating a lot of the software engineering skills you pick up are geared towards practicality. I literally forgot some mathematical terms I had to look up again. Sadly, trying to understand it's lemma's with the help of the appendices is not doable as they are even heavier than the things they try to explain.
Besides that problematic point, it's an exc
Brad
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
The textbook on algorithms. It does not do a very good job of teaching how to design algorithms, but it is an authoritative catalog of algorithms for a wide variety of situations.
Sheikh
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for software engineers and students of computer science and engineering who want to have a good understanding of algorithms.
Trang
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Used this while cramming for coding interviews.
Dmitry Kuzmenko
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book gives a solid foundation of common non-trivial algorithms and data structures. It all comes with nice pseudocode, detailed walk-throughs and complexity analysis (along with worst case, average case and amortized complexity).

Personally I'd prefer to see the material in much more compact form, covering more of topics and more advanced or tricky algorithms and data structures. However, when something isn't clear, the detailed walk-throughs really help. Also, the exercises provided are inva
Mohammad Samiul Islam
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This books is amazing.

It's a bit hard for beginners, but then again, it's one of those books which you always have to come back to. Each time you come back, you learn something new. The exercises themselves have tons of stuff hidden in them. You need to be patient and learn slowly. Don't try to gobble everything up.

If you let go of your fear, and actually make an effort to learn something from it, you can learn loads. I learned Network Flow algorithm by reading this book. It took me few days, b
Michael
Oct 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst college books I have ever used. The examples in the book are severely lacking the needed information to answer the questions in which you are forced to use outside resources aka other Data Structure books to find the info to solve their problems. It is amazing that this is an MIT book because it DOES NOT MEET THEIR STANDARD. The book is unorganized and bounces around like the authors have ADHD. The text is covering an extremely abstract computer algorithm theories and fa ...more
Harshil Lodhi
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
A book that one should definitely read once in the computer science career. It gives a mathematical and in depth look at how to understand algorithms and data structures, their time and space complexities and its proofs.

It could be a little hard, complex and lengthy for those who don't like in depth mathematics or those who just want to understand the DS and Algo at application level.

It is a classic and available for free so one should definitely read it.
Endilie Yacop Sucipto
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
CLRS is without doubt one of the best book when learning about Algorithms, sometimes called as the "bible" of algorithm. However, while it is more of a reference book with very lengthy pages, it lacks some in-depth explanation on certain parts. I guess that's fine because it is indeed an "introductory" book.
Ana Todor
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ow you great book you, you served me well.
Kaung Htet Zaw
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best algorithm textbooks out there. Always my go-to book for algorithm reference.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
This is the definitive book on algorithms.
Syed Mridul
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
One of my textbooks....not a great one...
Mo Bashiti
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
I remember when our Algorithms Design professor raised this book and said: " You are not a real Computer Scientist Unless you are able to read this book and understand it ".

Of course no one cared back then, but now, after 3 years of graduating and professional programming, I can't agree more!

Despite its' title this book is not an introductory book. If you are new to programming or you want to understand basic algorithms to pass a test, this book is not for you! I recommend you watch courses on
Antonis Maronikolakis
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book kick-started my love for algorithm design. Not only is it an in-depth introduction to algorithms, providing a complete guide on the basics, it is also expertly written. The concepts are laid out in an intuitive and easy to follow manner, while also going into more detail for those who want to learn more.

I highly suggest this book. Offers a very thorough and clean introduction to the basics of algorithm design, while also going very in depth in later chapters. It also includes an Append
Ebrahem Droobi
Aug 07, 2020 added it
Recommends it for: CS students
A must read for every CS student in my opinion. It's also a great reference to get back to in the future.

It covers most of the major algorithms, I loved the way the book is written, easy to understand and it walks you through the topics in a lovely way.

This isn't a book to read while laying down or between tasks, it needs its time, you need to sit down concentrate and read it to understand what it has to offer, otherwise it will be a waste of time.

I used this book to pass my algorithms exam,
Adam
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A tough but necessary read--the best I've found on algorithms. It's a math book, and only kind of a CS book which is the right way to do it. Quirks of languages and implementations change and are too varied to incorporate into this study, so it's the right choice to abstract them out. It hits the big topics, or maybe by being the algorithms bible it has set what the big topics are.

The explanations can be hard and you really need to understand combinatorics, graph theory, and probability well in
Juan
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
The content is good but I feel it's more of a reference book than an introductory one.

The content the book covers is very broad. Covering almost everything you expect but if you are a begginer you may need a book that is more extensive on the explanations. Nonetheless it includes a very good apendix.

I did not read the whole book as I feel is more of a reference and I don't think this book should be anyone first read on algorithims. The tittle might be a bit of a misnomer.

P.S.: The indexes of the
Abdurrezzak Efe
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is undoubtedly one of the most famous CS books out there. It deserves its reputation; it has a great scope of topics, a lot of fantastic algorithms, a good structure that gives whatever is necessary before any subject etc. However, the book, in some points, fails to provide the reader with sufficient intuition on the procedure. Also in some places, there is unnecessary detailed work. Anyways, reading/studying this book one can master algorithms which are very essential for Computer Science.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
about the book 6 85 May 01, 2015 06:29PM

• The C Programming Language
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • The Algorithm Design Manual
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • The C++ Programming Language
  • Computer Networks

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Thomas H. Cormen is the co-author of Introduction to Algorithms, along with Charles Leiserson, Ron Rivest, and Cliff Stein. He is a Full Professor of computer science at Dartmouth College and currently Chair of the Dartmouth College Writing Program.