Start by marking “Head First HTML5 Programming” as Want to Read:
Head First HTML5 Programming

Head First HTML5 Programming (Head First Series)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  358 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
HTML has been on a wild ride. Sure, HTML started as a mere markup language, but more recently HTML’s put on some major muscle. Now we’ve got a language tuned for building web applications with Web storage, 2D drawing, offline support, sockets and threads, and more. And to speak this language you’ve got to go beyond HTML5 markup and into the world of the DOM, events, and Ja ...more
Published October 18th 2011 by O'Reilly Media, Incorporated (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Head First HTML5 Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head First HTML5 Programming

Mary
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good introduction to working with JavaScript. It is well written, fun, and kept my interest even through thing I knew, or thought I knew. The examples and also clever and fun as well.

One thing to note is this is much more about JavaScript than HTML & CSS. If you are not comfortable with HTML & CSS, I suggest that you pick up the Head First HTML and CSS book and work through it first.

Don't expect to be an expert at the end of the book. There is a lot more to learn than you will find her
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I see a few reviews complaining about how this book is more focused on JavaScript than HTML5, and that is true. However, in this day and age, if the book only focused on HTML5 and CSS, it would be selling the reader short. HTML5 is intended to be used with JavaScript to allow programmers to create dynamic, robust web apps. So, this book spends a lot of time talking about how to use JavaScript with HTML5. Honestly, I thought this was a good intro to building web apps.
Gerta Xhepi
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's more about javascript not HTML 5! good for beginners and also for people who want to practice knowledge.
Una Theia
Playful and very understandable, I thought in the beginning.

Then it started to get annoying. It's like when you play too much and you get bored, pissed off, you start to lose and you end up not giving a damn about the game.

Also, I encountered a lot of problems understanding the VERY poorly organized Javascript. HTML5 is very simple, and if it's HTML5 you're trying to learn, go to w3schools.com. I wanted to learn some (very clearly explained, as I hoped to find in this book) Javascript. I start
Matt
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Easy access. Quick reading. Some nice gems. Yr not going to learn everything you need to know or the best, best way to do it. Such a book might be hard to churn out because the field is thick. (They avoided jQuery usage even tho it's pretty much standard, for example, etc.)

Great series tho.
Kayla
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I didn't finish this. The first few chapters were decent and I understood them. The farther I went the more confusing it got. It was very cluttered starting introducing topics poorly. It just made me confused about it rather than the one I finished earlier. Just gonna let it go and find something else.
Arjen
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Another winner from Head First. Not as good as the Javascript one but still a decent foundation for anyone who wants to get started with HTML5.

What I like is that the examples are clear, easy to understand but still prepare you to do some pretty clever 'impress-your-neighbour-and-even-though-he-wont-admit-your-java-writing-colleague'.

Good stuff.
Julia
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Despite it has a misleading book title, this is an absolute gem for those who are new to JavaScript. It doesn't beat around the bush and get straight to the point on how to implement features in a light and amusing way. Full of some basic full-fledged solutions. Recommend as a start to hit the ground with JS.
Sandy
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mim, tech-useful
Read this for a class. It's good for beginners, which is who it's designed for. Since I was a beginner, it worked out well. It was really helpful with callback functions (for APIs) and what that involves but it didn't go quite far enough. I needed to use the returned data globally and it left me hanging. But as a good, understandable introduction, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better.
Jeffrey
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Yes, this book moves really slow, but if you plan to read it on the train during your morning and evening commutes, slow is a good thing.

Gives you a good tour of what's in HTML 5 and shows you what's important. Isn't in depth enough to tackle projects on your own, but you can google the deep knowledge.
Ilia Melititskiy
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Skimmed the last 30% of the book, just because it's started to annoy me. Too much quirkiness, too many pictures, not a lot information. OK for someone who's only starting to learn about the web technologies. But you'll still have to read some more serious stuff.
Tom Panning
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: javascript
This book holds up to the Head First standard, and would be good for anyone with knowledge of html. Even though I'm outside the target audience of the book (I'm more familiar with programming than most readers probably are), it was a good introduction to a lot of the practical things in JavaScript.
Tsvetomir
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
If you know nothing about JavaScript and HTML APIs - this book is for you. Very good explanation about beginners, a lot of examples and exercises. Only requirement is to have some knowledge about HTML and CSS.
Brenda
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book had a lot of good content, however, since it is a couple of years old some of the content was outdated, in particular, some of the details around connecting to Google maps and Twitter was behind the times.
Jwalant
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Nicely explained JavaScript, HTML5, JSON, JSONP and many other related aspects.
This is the most interesting way to present content of a book I have ever seen.
Great way to make learning fun!
Delhi Irc
Shriram
ssssssssssssssssssss
Eugenio
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book for starters in web development, gives you the basics of the power of HTML5.
Lars Ole Christoffersen
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
is the best way to start know the new functionality of HTML5
Husam
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is made for complete beginners, I didn't get as much knowledge as I expected from it.
Sergio Venicius
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
good book for starters
Vivek Kumar
Jun 06, 2016 is currently reading it
HTML 5 is different from older version. There are lots of feature using which we can write mobile web apps in html itself. Good to read ...
Larry
  • Regular Expressions Cookbook
  • Head First Software Development
  • Head First jQuery
  • Head First Ajax: A Brain-Friendly Guide
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
  • Introducing HTML5
  • HTML5 and CSS3: Develop with Tomorrow's Standards Today
  • HTML5: Up and Running: Dive into the Future of Web Development
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • Head First C#
  • Smashing CSS: Professional Techniques for Modern Layout
  • Head First Android Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Head First Series (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Head First 2D Geometry

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • No God But God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
    $12.99 $1.99
“Well, it’s a browser policy, and it says you can’t retrieve data from a domain that is different from the domain the page itself was served from. Say” 0 likes
“When you pass a primitive value it is copied into the parameter. We call this “passing by value.” So if you change the value of the parameter in your function body it has no affect on our original argument’s value. The exception to this is passing an array or object, and we’ll get to that in a bit.” 0 likes