Start by marking “Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing” as Want to Read:
Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing

Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing

Ubiquitous computing, or what the designer/information architect Adam Greenfield calls "Everyware," is an emerging trend just starting to gain attention as it also gains momentum. The term refers to the integration of computers embedded in everyday objects with an ever-present network--moving computing off the desktop and into every aspect of our lives, creating an environ ...more
Published March 10th 2006 by New Riders Publishing

Start your review of Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing
Manuel Antão
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

“Everything that can be digital, will be”.

In "Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing" by Adam Greenfield

A long time ago, I found myself sitting on my bed, breathing in a cloud of card fumes, using a stiletto to pick at the corner of a London electronic travel card (acquired in a school field trip to the UK). After arriving in Lisbon I became utterly fascinated by it. Thus I decided to dissect one of them. After letting the
Dave Emmett
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dave by: Sean Filiatrault
This book has a strong focus on the human side of new-fangled technology, which makes it refreshingly different than most books about the subject.

The only thing I didn't like about this book is that the extremely short chapters made the book feel very long. It was almost like reading a series of blog posts about ubiquitous computing, though a series of very well written and carefully ordered blog posts.

As a designer, the last section was the most relevant and interesting, about the ways everywar
Troy
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Published in 2006, but I read this in 2013. The most interesting part of this book was to see how far technology has advanced in those 7 years. A very tech-heavy book, but a fascinating read, albeit a bit dated at this point.
Weixiang
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Concise, thematic, academic approach towards the study of ubiquitous computing. I picked up this book when I was thinking about different methods of ubiquitous background computing. Such examples would be automatic processes in different facets of our lives. What I liked about this book was the cautionary tales and more of the ethics of developing such technologies from inequality and class issues to biological implant ideas. The reading is dry, but fascinating none the less.

Reading level: 4, n
Ogi Ogas
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
My ratings of books on Goodreads are solely a crude ranking of their utility to me, and not an evaluation of literary merit, entertainment value, social importance, humor, insightfulness, scientific accuracy, creative vigor, suspensefulness of plot, depth of characters, vitality of theme, excitement of climax, satisfaction of ending, or any other combination of dimensions of value which we are expected to boil down through some fabulous alchemy into a single digit.
Klaus Nöd
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I re-read this book recently. In a way it is historical: it was written and published before Facebook became mainstream or iPhone’s launch. It is invaluable though, in regards to the ideas, visions and challenges that are inherent to emerging technology paradigms from their early inception to production and, finally, consumption. Given this, it’s a recommended read not only for technologists but everyone interested in the social impact of technology in everyday life.
Rob
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting read, especially the sections on determinism. It seems that most—if not all—areas of technology are converging toward some logical conclusion, whether we like it or not. I guess it makes sense when you recognize the elegant simplicity of the underlying architecture. Perhaps the end result is Q from Star Trek.
Steven Deobald
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's hard to imagine a time when this book needs to be read by more technologists in more countries and in more industries than 2018. The dangers presented and the solutions suggested are all laid bare before us.
Joshua Palay
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved it.
Steven
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Excellent discussion of the origins of ubiquitous computing, current state of the art (as of 2005), where it might be headed and potential issues and design principles. A must-read, not only in terms of ubiquitous computing, but as an examplar of writings on the social use of technology and as a source of potential design principles for Web 2.0 app developers.
Sonya
I ordered a few "web design" books to inspire my fading interest in web design. This was one of them. I recently started participating in my web design hobby again and will more than likely read it. :)
Ty
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux
The 'thesis' presentation got on my nerves. It felt jarring, as if I were watching a movie with quick cuts between scenes. Yet that is the only complaint I have. The information and arguments in the book are flawless.
John
nonfiction,transhumanism,ubiquitous computing
Harald Felgner
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Excellent.

Although Adam Greenfield's theses are almost 9 years old, they look at least 5 years into the future!
Sbisker
Checked out from CMU library, in progress...
Charles McCrimmon
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the concepts put forward.. some of them are a bit dated now but that was to be expected with the subject matter anyway.
Doug
Nov 27, 2007 marked it as to-read
via:cso
Jacinta
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ix, software
Seems a curious mix of too-far-ahead and not-caught-up with today. Some good points overall but a little frustrating to read in the 'thesis' presentation.
Bashar Kabbani
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice idea, new thoughts!
Jiri
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great introduction into the ideas of the internet of things and ubiquitous computing.
Gina
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Most of the technology Greenfield discussed in this book are coming out and are already in existence now.
David Bamford
Nguyen Minh Hanh
Jan 07, 2018

• Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Making Things Talk: Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
  • Flat Earth News: An Award-Winning Reporter Exposes Falsehood, Distortion and Propaganda in the Global Media
  • Shaping Things
  • Οι Νύχτες του Σαν Φρανσίσκο
  • The Theory of Everything: The Origin and Fate of the Universe
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Censored: A Literary History of Subversion and Control
  • The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier
  • The Dragon and the Stars
  • The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove (Pine Cove, #2)
  • Wintertide
  • Emotion: A Very Short Introduction
  • Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy
  • Autonomous
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »