Start by marking “Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing” as Want to Read:
Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing

Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing

Ubiquitous computing--almost imperceptible, but everywhere around us--is rapidly becoming a reality. How will it change us? how can we shape its emergence? Smart buildings, smart furniture, smart clothing... even smart bathtubs. networked street signs and self-describing soda cans. Gestural interfaces like those seen in Minority Report. The RFID tags now embedded in everyt ...more
Published March 20th 2006 by New Riders Publishing (first published March 10th 2006)

Manuel Antão
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

“Everything that can be digital, will be”.

In "Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing" by Adam Greenfield

A long time ago, I found myself sitting on my bed, breathing in a cloud of card fumes, using a stiletto to pick at the corner of a London electronic travel card (acquired in a school field trip to the UK). After arriving in Lisbon I became utterly fascinated by it. Thus I decided to dissect one of them. After letting the
Dave Emmett
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dave by: Sean Filiatrault
This book has a strong focus on the human side of new-fangled technology, which makes it refreshingly different than most books about the subject.

The only thing I didn't like about this book is that the extremely short chapters made the book feel very long. It was almost like reading a series of blog posts about ubiquitous computing, though a series of very well written and carefully ordered blog posts.

As a designer, the last section was the most relevant and interesting, about the ways everywar
Troy
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Published in 2006, but I read this in 2013. The most interesting part of this book was to see how far technology has advanced in those 7 years. A very tech-heavy book, but a fascinating read, albeit a bit dated at this point.
Ogi Ogas
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
My ratings of books on Goodreads are solely a crude ranking of their utility to me, and not an evaluation of literary merit, entertainment value, social importance, humor, insightfulness, scientific accuracy, creative vigor, suspensefulness of plot, depth of characters, vitality of theme, excitement of climax, satisfaction of ending, or any other combination of dimensions of value which we are expected to boil down through some fabulous alchemy into a single digit.
Robert Josef
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting read, especially the sections on determinism. It seems that most—if not all—areas of technology are converging toward some logical conclusion, whether we like it or not. I guess it makes sense when you recognize the elegant simplicity of the underlying architecture. Perhaps the end result is Q from Star Trek.
Steven Deobald
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's hard to imagine a time when this book needs to be read by more technologists in more countries and in more industries than 2018. The dangers presented and the solutions suggested are all laid bare before us.
Joshua Palay
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved it.
Steven
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Excellent discussion of the origins of ubiquitous computing, current state of the art (as of 2005), where it might be headed and potential issues and design principles. A must-read, not only in terms of ubiquitous computing, but as an examplar of writings on the social use of technology and as a source of potential design principles for Web 2.0 app developers.
Sonya
I ordered a few "web design" books to inspire my fading interest in web design. This was one of them. I recently started participating in my web design hobby again and will more than likely read it. :)
Ty
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux
The 'thesis' presentation got on my nerves. It felt jarring, as if I were watching a movie with quick cuts between scenes. Yet that is the only complaint I have. The information and arguments in the book are flawless.
John
nonfiction,transhumanism,ubiquitous computing
Harald Felgner
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Excellent.

Although Adam Greenfield's theses are almost 9 years old, they look at least 5 years into the future!
Sbisker
Checked out from CMU library, in progress...
Charles McCrimmon
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the concepts put forward.. some of them are a bit dated now but that was to be expected with the subject matter anyway.
Doug
Nov 27, 2007 marked it as to-read
via:cso
Jacinta
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ix, software
Seems a curious mix of too-far-ahead and not-caught-up with today. Some good points overall but a little frustrating to read in the 'thesis' presentation.
Bashar Kabbani
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice idea, new thoughts!
Jiri
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great introduction into the ideas of the internet of things and ubiquitous computing.
Félix J. Haro
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my favourites.
Gina
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Most of the technology Greenfield discussed in this book are coming out and are already in existence now.
David Bamford
  • The Battery: How Portable Power Sparked a Technological Revolution
  • Engineers of Dreams: Great Bridge Builders and the Spanning of America
  • In the Bubble: Designing in a Complex World
  • Darwin's Island: The Galapagos in the Garden of England
  • Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America
  • Ecological Intelligence: Rediscovering Ourselves in Nature
  • Where the Action Is: The Foundations of Embodied Interaction
  • Total Recall: How the E-Memory Revolution Will Change Everything
  • Collider: The Search for the World's Smallest Particles
  • Strange New Worlds: The Search for Alien Planets and Life Beyond Our Solar System
  • Fingerprints of God: The Search for the Science of Spirituality
  • Moonshot: The Inside Story of Mankind's Greatest Adventure
  • When Science Goes Wrong: Twelve Tales From the Dark Side of Discovery
  • Absolutely Small: How Quantum Theory Explains Our Everyday World

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »