Start by marking “How to Learn a Foreign Language” as Want to Read:
How to Learn a Foreign Language

How to Learn a Foreign Language

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This handbook teaches the skills needed to learn ANY foreign language.
Published March 15th 1987 by Storm King Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Learn a Foreign Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Learn a Foreign Language

Tina Jeraj
I have known about all the methods used in this book in way better forms than described. Most of it is common knowledge. Book is full of irrelevant remarks about the reader (such as assuming nobody will learn Finnish or other small European languages or that nobody but Americans will read the book). Somewhere at the beginning of the book the author states that English is spoken in America. I won't say what think of that. The good points are that it was easy to read and had some decent examples. ...more
Vivian
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very short book, so a quick read, but full of enthusiasm and encouragement for foreign language learning. Not every language learning method works for everyone, but his suggestions are sound, and he gives concrete examples of what worked - and didn't work - for his own education.
Saif Bagmar
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
For this book, learning my next foreign language will be smoother...
Linda
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informational with good lesson idea's I keep it on hand while learning Hindi.
Joe Boenzi
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is highly motivational. It is not written for the learning of any specific language, but "How to Learn a Foreign Language" offers tips and tidbits that can help students of any language to feel more at ease in the pursuit. I will list some features that I feel are the most helpful.

Besides explaining some of the typical hurdles that English-speakers need to overcome in learning a foreign language, author Graham E. Fuller offers tips for facing new languages. There are physical hurdles
Vincent
Nice and concise. Dated though as there is no mention of computer usage as a tool or Netflix etc.
Heather
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, to-the-point, easy to read, and encouraging, even if I already knew most of the points he was making. Still, I think it was helpful-- it was a helpful refresher on what to look for, taught me a few things about the language that I'll be learning next semester (French) that I didn't know, and gave some helpful study tips and hints on how to approach learning a language. He definitely emphasizes the importance of hearing the language and really freeing yourself of embarrassment about speaki ...more
Jeary
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, read2013
A short little book that introduces general advices when studying a foreign language. Even though Fuller uses examples from various languages, the piece is not limited to any particular language or language class. But, as an important point for all non-native English speakers: English is the language of reference, so be prepared to be talked to as "...you, that you are already fluent in English..." ;)

It is, indeed, a good summary of patterns that are inherent all language and hints how to master
Amy
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: en-espanol
At right around 100 pages, this is a concise guide to learning another language. His methods are time-tested and will work, but with a publication date of 1987, we have far better tools at our fingertips now than when this was first out. If the author could time-travel to now, he'd exhort the virtues of the many online learning resources, communities, and Skype-ing with someone in your target language.

But the book wouldn't be 100 pages any longer, and in today's world, this information is avail
Mina Van der Woodsen
I haven't read much books how to learn a foreign language but i don't need to this book is everything i need to learn a foreign language.He is direct,short,and he is absolutely right. Great advices.You can also see that he knows what he is talking about he is an expert, and i respect him much and admire him.Not anyone can know that many languages,give advices how to learn,and encourage us to learn languages.
Desertrose
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Old book. Not really helpful if you have already learnt a little bit of a foreign language. You already know all what he says. 2 stars because he organise those knowledges.
Kuvat Gitikov
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I expressly suggest read this book firstly who want learn foreign language.
Oleg Hasanov
Andrea Olson
Mar 08, 2010
Maria
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very poor sound quality. Good encouragement to learn another language, not many helpful hints.
mynasaurus
Mohamedbassam
Jan 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
How to Learn a Foreign Language 1 2 Nov 19, 2013 07:33AM
Graham Fuller is an author and a political analyst. He has worked for the United States Central Intelligence Agency, the National Intelligence Council, and Rand Corporation.
More about Graham E. Fuller...

“Moracete da se pomirite sa gubitkom jednog dela svog samopostovanja i svoje brige o ponosu ukoliko stvarno zelite da napredujete.” 1 likes