Start by marking “Poppleton” as Want to Read:
Poppleton

Poppleton (Poppleton)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  859 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Poppleton the pig makes a friend, reads a library book about adventure, and helps a sick friend get better.
Published October 1st 1997 by Blue Sky Press (first published March 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Poppleton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poppleton

Karen L.
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschool-elem
All the Poppleton books are wonderful. There are around 10 in the series. Poppleton is a pig who wears a suit and an English Bowler Hat. He has the goofiest humanized animal friends, Like Cherry Sue the Llama who wears red lipstick! They have the cutest adventures doing dumb things you and your kids will laugh at.
Taryn
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, storybook
My favorite author with one of my favorite illustrators = I love Poppleton. Clever but in a way children get (I don't like it when children's books have jokes only adults can understand; it's much better when there are jokes that BOTH adults and children can understand, or if the jokes are just for the kids).
Lynsey
Dec 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-to-read
1st – 3rd grade
The illustrations are on every page in which look to be done with color pencil. The text is moderately small with about 2-3 sentences per page. Some sentences seem to be repetitive of one another example, “Would you like some oatmeal? So Poppleton had oatmeal with Cherry Sue”. This book is appealing to young readers because it talks about doing new things and changing environments, which most children can identify with, and helping friends in need.
Classroom connection:
Math/Science
Sophie Tompkins
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Poppleton was an entertaining and exciting children's book. Not only did this story make me smile and laugh, it also kept me interested in what would happen next. Poppleton is a friendly pig that is always occupying his time with a new activity. He loves to read and spend time with some of his close friends such as Cherry Sue. This story teaches children how to handle disagreements with close friends as well as instills the idea that it is very important to always be there for a friend through t ...more
Heidi
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The series of "Poppleton" books has made my daughter's summer. My three year old loves the idea of "chapter books", but is not quite ready to move onto listening to books without pictures. The humor that Cynthia Rylant uses is perfect for a 3 or 4 year old, but not so obnoxious that an adult can't get through the book. There are a bunch of Poppleton books, so we could check out a stack from the library, but they are short enough that you can read several before bedtime. I have been reading them ...more
Sarah Sammis
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cynthia Rylant has written more than 100 books for children. Her career spans back to 1982 but I only "discovered" her a couple years ago. Sean and I chose Poppleton from the library because it's a collaboration between Cynthia Rylant and illustrator Mark Teague.

Poppleton is a gentleman pig who has moved to a small town to get away from the hustle and bustle of the big city. Over the course of the book Poppleton meets his next door neighbor and settles into his new life. For instance, on Monday'
Logan
The Poppleton books are charming and I never mind reading them again. They are gentle and humorous and I love Poppleton's neighbor, Cherry Sue, who is a very smart and loyal llama. My son enjoys the humor and the illustrations. The end papers show a birds-eye view of the neighborhood with the characters going about whatever business is in the stories of that volume and my son really loves figuring out what each is doing and how it relates to the stories. It was his first engaging experience of w ...more
Paul
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit, reread
This is a great young-reader book, but it is also a perfect fit (at least when Poppleton forgoes invitations for tea and a parade to go to the library) for introverts of all ages. It's witty in a way the kids will get, which for me is a huge plus! (Also read in October 2012)
Charley Gray
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it was funny at the end and it was about a pig. I hope to read more books in this series.
J.
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
AR Quiz No. 25094 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.7 - AR Pts: 0.5
Dolly
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We are slowly working our way through Cynthia Rylant's collection of stories. We've read most of the books in the Henry and Mudge, Annie and Snowball, Mr. Putter and Tabby, High-Rise Private Eyes, Brownie and Pearl and the Cobble Street Cousins series. We have read a couple of her longer stories, but I figured we'd check out the Poppleton series next. I'm not sure if we'll ever read all of her stories, but we will sure try!

This is a nice collection of three short stories that introduces the char
Paige Cedergreen
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction: I love this book for transitional readers! It has a set vocabulary but still will be appropriately challenging for young readers. The story is whimsical and I think young readers will find it funny.

Read Aloud: I would read this aloud to kindergarten and 1st graders. I would read this to the class for enjoyment. There is not a specific unit I would attach it to but it is just a fun story that the class would enjoy. I think it would be helpful to read after lunch or recess to ge
Carson
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My dog is named Cherry Sue after the llama from this book series. That is how much I love these books. Took one look at my dog and said "She's a Cherry Sue."
From silky milk and lavender to shopping for a bicycle with a confusing/alarming number of the color red to choose from, Poppleton is a wonderful series that I still continue to read every once in a while. You'll discover how to live to be one hundred, that sometimes goats aren't the best choice to help you while redecorating, and how to be
Julie Graham 47150
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
Rylant's Poppleton - a great chapter book series for many beginning readers. In this first book, the stories are of friendship with lessons in etiquette entertwined. My favorite chapter is the first. After moving to this quiet little town, Poppleton gets invited to his neighbor, Cherry Sue's, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Poppleton gets tired of eating with someone every single meal but doesn't know how to tell Cherry Sue. Finally, he blurts it out very rudely only to find out that Cherry Su ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
I thought I had read this entire series, but I was wrong! I like the dynamic between Poppleton and Cherry Sue; it reminds me a lot of the friendship in George and Martha. Mark Teague's illustrations also add a lot to the story and really bring to life the differences between Poppleton and Cherry Sue. Though I typically think of these as books for beginning readers, my 2.5-year-old is really enthralled with them right now. I'm sure we'll be reading more in the future!
Terri
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Cynthia Rylant has excelled at making a very easy to read book very FUN to read and entertaining to the adult listening or reading to a child.

She has accomplished a hard thing easy for a child and delightful to an adult.

She catches the subtlety of Poppleton's disdain turned friendship for his neighbor, Cherry Sue, with great writing. The terrific illustrations by Mark Teague add a lot of depth to the story.

Rylant's books were a breath of fresh air to me while teaching my children to read.
Ruth Ann
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book, the first in a series, introduces Poppleton, a friendly and literate pig who likes to eat. I especially liked "The Library" chapter in which Monday is a sacred day for Poppleton because it is library day. I love his rituals and his passion for reading and I believe young children will also find them endearing. Poppleton is a fully developed character that loses his temper, makes friends, and has a clever sense of humor. I can't wait to read the rest of the books in the series!
Meridith Byrne
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cynthia Rylant is a giant of the early-reader genre, and no wonder with characters like Poppleton, a town-pig who likes the good life. I ran a first-grade book-club in which we covered this series, and the children were howling with laughter at the antics of Poppleton and his friends Cherry Sue and Filmore. The entire series is fantastic!
Alaina Sloo
I have not yet met a young child who doesn't love Poppleton (although I'm sure there must be some somewhere). Sweet stories about Poppleton and his friends for early readers that also work well read aloud to younger children. My favorite Poppleton book, but maybe that's just because it's got a story called, "The Library".
Micah
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Poppleton was a really good pig. He goes to the library every Monday morning. When he got a new house, he got a new neighbor named Cherry Sue. Then he met someone who was sick. It was a goat that was sick. He drove the goat to his house and bed and the goat liked some cherry stew that Poppleton gave him with a pill inside.

[reviewed by a 6 year old, typed by his mama]
Vivian
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The Poppleton books were favorites at our house when Vivian was around 2 years old. The characters are so charming (especially when read with Blake's special voices!) and the stories are so well-crafted, they stand up to reading over and over again.
Diane Strait
All eight "Poppleton" books are wonderful. Each chapter is a self contained story about Poppleton(a pig), Cherry Sue(a llama), Hudson(a mouse) and Fillmore(a goat). The adventures of these four friends are humorous and endearing.
Kristy Ann
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Poppleton series has become a new family favorite. These books include short stories with cute illustrations which offer many opportunities for life lesson discussions with the kids.

"Poppleton in the Fall" is our favorite of the series thus far.
Rachel
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
All of Cynthia Rylant's early readers are amazing. She gets it. There is just enough repetition, just enough of a plot twist to make things interesting and in my experience, children are so satisfied with their comprehension of the story. The entire Poppleton series is wonderful.
Robert
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
A colleague of mine enjoys Cynthia Rylant. I haven't read much of hers, but when I saw this I was hopeful. Unfortunately, this did nothing for me. Poppleton isn't a very compelling character, but even so, the three short stories here don't do anything for me. They are lackluster.
Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
Poppleton is a pig who moves from the big city to a small town. He is a bit of a character. This book is the first in the series. It's cute and fun. The boys enjoyed and read some others in the series.
Denise
Nov 10, 2010 rated it liked it
My 8 year old just read this to us in a few minutes. There are three stories .. but my favorite is the one about going to the library. I have to say that I honestly expected more from this book .. but as an easy reader it is a nice sweet uncomplicated book.
Emily
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My family really loves this series. (Mom, Dad, 4- and 5-year-olds.) It's like Frog and Toad books, but perhaps funnier and with beautiful full-color illustrations which span the pages. Pretty good for beginning readers, much like Frog and Toad. All the books in the series are great.
Kelsey
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I memorized the third short story to tell at my school's story telling festival. While I was reading it, I realized that I had memorized the whole thing. It is THAT good! I loved reading this book as a child and I'm glad I decided to keep it on my personal shelf.
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to put Poppleton in my books list because I had forgotten how much I loved it. And how much my kids loved it. We just checked some of these out again at the library last week and we have been enjoying ourselves tremendously!
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Ling & Ting Share a Birthday (Ling & Ting, #2)
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Commander Toad in Space (Commander Toad)
  • Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Cat
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • Martha Blah Blah
  • Fly Guy and the Frankenfly (Fly Guy, #13)
  • The Very Bad Bunny (Beginner Books)
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Poppleton (8 books)
  • Poppleton And Friends (Poppleton)
  • Poppleton Forever (Poppleton)
  • Poppleton Everyday (Poppleton)
  • Poppleton In Fall