Start by marking “Scorpion (Memory of Scorpions, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scorpion (Memory of Scorpions, #1)

Scorpion

(Memory of Scorpions #1)

(Alternate cover edition of ISBN 9781615818600.)

You learn your wisest lessons from your enemies. Assuming, of course, you survive the encounter.

Kendras is a casualty of war: injured, penniless, and quite possibly the last surviving member of the only family he's ever known—the elite fighting force known as the Scorpions. When a steel-eyed stranger offers him medicine an
ebook, 1st edition, 242 pages
Published May 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Scorpion, please sign up.
Aleksandr Voinov The first book is currently not available. I expect to re-issue the whole series with new editing, covers, and new books around late 2018/early 2019 (…moreThe first book is currently not available. I expect to re-issue the whole series with new editing, covers, and new books around late 2018/early 2019 (depending on schedule and how many book I can cram into my day). :) (less)

Start your review of Scorpion (Memory of Scorpions, #1)
Aleksandr Voinov
Mar 04, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Republished.
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
3 crude and brutal stars

This wasn’t what I was expecting. In addition to action/adventure, I was hoping for romance. In my opinion, this is not a romance. Yes, there’s love and brotherhood, but no real romantic committed relationship. There’s a lot of sleeping around with random and known partners. Lots of rough sex with very little to no feels. Maybe that changes in the next books. Maybe I’ll read them and find out. Maybe….
Shile

My thoughts are echoed very well Here.
Julio Genao
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
A cherished favorite, redone.

Kendras lives in my brain.

...and so does Steel.

I think the more polished ending works well, but do wish each titanic shift had time to flower on its own, so I could savor each revelation before the next one came along.

I can see why fantasy authors have trouble keeping these things under a million words: when things happen at this scale, with the fate of a shattered empire in the balance, it's difficult to conclude cataclysmic upheaval with a show of hands in a tent.

S
Ingie
Written March 20, 2014

4.4 Strong Stars - a fabulous adventure about brave men with strong desire and lust

I enjoyed my first Aleksandr Voinov novel a lot. It was Gold Digger a contemporary romance. This time was it a quite different genre. Among other, my friend Andrea, and also Lena, recommended this steamy M/M fantasy.

~ A slightly dark and raw story perhaps?
~ Not a true romance said someone....

...and, was it a romance?
If you like to read books with rough gay, not always very romantic, steam -
Teal
Grimdark military fantasy… but make it gay. Oh yeah.

What hooked me from the start was that this didn’t read like m/m romance in a fantasy setting. Instead it read like fantasy with a gay MC. Basically it’s what I was hoping for when, a decade ago, I read — and was sorely disappointed by — The Steel Remains.

If only I’d known this existed back then.

I’ve slogged through many an m/m romance with fantasy or sf settings, but they’ve mostly ranged in quality from mediocre to downright embarrassingly aw
Susan
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it

This is what I was thinking to myself: "Self, how is it possible that Aleksandr Freaking Voinov, The Genius, is THIS good?!" and also "Hey dork, what took you so long to read this book?"

What I so loved about Scorpion is that every single character meant something in this book...had a role...not one was a throwaway. That's pretty amazing. Widowmaker. Vistar An Grekaran. Riktan. Dev. Kiran. Lady. High Priest. Smoke. Executioner. Puppy.

You know what else I loved? Kendras...and his intense
Shelley
Christ! Aleksandr Voinov rocks my freaking world AGAIN!

photo 300-army_zps5a125350.jpg

This author nails it for me. Every. Single. Time. Nobody writes military m/m like this.

Scorpion is a dark(er) military fantasy set in the old empire of Shara, where three cities fight and plot against each other. This is a tale of warriors and nobles and the battles they wage for ultimate power. Politics and skulduggery, power plays with brutal costs and sex - really fierce warrior type sex.

Voinov gives you front row seats to this story. H
Sheri
Years ago, I read a book that changed my literary course. It was my first foray in m/m romance and it was an unforgettable experience. It was a military romance; dark, dangerous, and unlike anything I had read before. That book was Special Forces- Soldiers. Yeah, I know, interesting choice for my first m/m book. I was overwhelmed and exhausted by the time I finished. Never in my life had a book affected me in such a way. Reading Scorpion brought me back to that poignant shift in my reading addic ...more
Aleksandr Voinov
Feb 25, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-wrote
And now in general circulation. Second part in the series hopefully coming in around October.
Christina
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, military
4.5 stars. This was such a great read! Aleksandr Voinov created a highly developed world with strong, multi-faceted characters. The world was fascinating. It was like I stepped right into the lands of Dalman and Fetin with the Scorpions lined up and ready for battle.

The story begins with Kendras, alone and badly hurt after fighting in a war with his fellow brothers - The Scorpions. The Scorpions are a unit of elite warriors that fight side by side as brothers and who follow the motto "Never Stop
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: m-m, soldiers
~~~

Voinov created this rather small, compact world with huge outer fringes. He brought big concepts down to a tightly woven story that led me along an unexpected path. Once I got started on that path, I couldn't stop.

"Hatred had blossomed from the vine of contempt in his heart, flowers of dark, grim splendor."

Voinov's character development once again, shined through. The story has a war torn grittiness that still allowed for characters that were complex, rich and worthy. The main character,
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Aleksandr Voinov fans
"Because we focused on the snake, we missed the scorpion."

I'm in love.
I'm in love with Kendras and I'm in love with his Scorpions and I'm in love with this world and I'm in awe and may be crushing a bit on Aleksandr Voinov.

Kendras is a wonderful character, from the very first page I was enthralled by him (a gift he seems to have with many in this world) and what a start it was. Kendras doesn't seem to have had anything come to him easily and from the beginning of this book we see him struggling
Elena
If you’re looking for a traditional, feel-good romance, this is probably not the right book for you.
If you can put those expectations aside, though, you’ll find great characters, a vivid setting and an interesting plot that kept me guessing at every turn. Basically, Voinov at his best.
I loved Kendras’s character, but loving aside, every character, even the ones I didn’t like or despised, was well fleshed-out and brought something to the story. The political intrigues mixed well with the feeling
LenaRibka
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aleksandr-voinov

4,5 fascinating stars!

There are two reasons why I was waiting with the reading of this book:

♥ I am not a big fantasy fan. I read it from time to time, and there were even really great books among them, but it is not my usual genre.

♥ The second book is supposed to be released around October. The later I read it, the less time I have to wait for the next book- I hate to wait too long.

There is one reason why I even though have read it before the second book is available:

♥I found out that i
Mel
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, e-book
I'm going to start out by saying that, because this is an Aleksandr Voinov story, I expected perfection. That's why I might be extra strict.

Scorpion is not your everyday m/m novel. It's a fantasy story (with heavy erotic undercurrents), it's quite dark and it features a strong, multilayered hero: Kendras.

Kendras was the most interesting part of the story. His will to survive, his inner and outer struggles, his strength and his journey to self discovery were really engaging.
In the beginning of th
Heather C
I finished this book yesterday and I'm still torn on how I feel about it. I mean, I liked it but I also didn't like it. My biggest problem was all the impersonal fucking. Not because it was rough and gritty, I actually liked that, but because there was so much of it with so many different people. It seemed to pull me out of the story and away from Kendras.

I did really like the dark and dirty world that has been created here. The author does an excellent job with imagery and I had no trouble pict
Bookwatcher
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: Alex
I WANT MOOOOOOORE!!!

It's an amazing adventure, and I LOOOOOOVE all the characters and I WANT MORE!

pleeeeease?
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Update: Just read the newest version of this book and it still rocks. I know Aleksandr Voinov rails against doorstop fantasy novels, but seriously, this rollicking dark fantasy tale deserves to be longer. The world is rich, the characters complex as well as multi-ethnic (something that other fantasy authors need to take into account if they want to broaden their readership), and no genderfail. Too many M/M authors (sadly most of them female) totally flunk the Bechdel test when it comes to depict ...more
Ilhem
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars

The Voinov gate teleported me in a world made of blazing sun, cicadas and olive trees, leather and steel, blood and dirt, high ideals and raw reality, where Empires and Civilizations are weaved tightly and blend to create a fantasy that I actually found historically accurate! That beats everything, no?

The story begins after a battle, at the heart of a war for dominance and political machinations between cities which destinies are closely intertwined. It bears epic undertones while drawi
Em
Fantasy will always be my favourite genre and of course this book by Aleksandr Voinov didn't disappoint. The intense relationship between Adrastes and Kendras was super hot and I also found the other characters such as Selvan and Kiran really interesting and I can't wait to see what happens with them in the next book.
Mel
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All men die, Kendras. Better get used to it. And then fight until the end, with every breath, every heartbeat, every single last thought.

Scorpion is a story of loyalty, love, survival, fight, and perseverance.

It was amazing, a new favourite, a bliss and comfort read all around. I can't recommend it enough.

***

I absolutely loved starting this story, only having read the blurb, not knowing what I was getting into. And seeing how Scorpion is written, I can't emphasis enough, the less you know th
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
4 PoIsOnOuS StArS

If you lie with scorpions, you'd better have a taste for poison

Kendras

Out of this world intriguing, I mean literally, OUT.OF. THIS. WORLD. - yes, you step straight into the abyss of Voinov's captivating world of Scorpions.

The Scorpions indulged in epicurean pleasures, fiercely protective of each other.

The story is brilliantly crafted, the characters the plot, everything was so thoroughly engaging.

Kendras is such a fascinating character, he has sinfully beautiful skin wit
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
A Majestical Read!~

The Goal~ " Never Stop Fighting"

Gosh, where shall I start, okay, the findings~ I found that this book has so many dreamy elements that allow me to feel like I was riding horse back into a different realm..a lovely realm to say the least! Thus,the descriptive writing and world building was spectacular without a doubt.

Names of the character's are simply unforgettable...Puppy...gosh, I just want to hug him just for his name alone, Steele, hummmm he was actually to me a real mi
Kaje Harper
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. This is classic Voinov, dark and intense with strong men who very rarely allow themselves to be vulnerable. Kendras is injured and separated from the rest of his mercenary troupe, the Scorpions. He doesn't know the fate of the others,of the men with whom he is closer than brothers, or of their officer, whom he would have followed into hell. In his determination to find the survivors and bring back what he can of the Scorpions, he is willing to do whatever it takes to survive and succe ...more
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.5 Stars

Okay, yeah, this is what I was expecting from an Aleksandr Voinov novel - and yet somehow even better than I thought it would be.

I love the dark military theme and these characters are so interesting. Especially Adrastes...who, as a young teen would be a future king for two dynasties but took a different route, chose his own path and lived his own life rather than the one dictated for him. It made him into a man who I think is better equipped now to rule.

I can't wait to read the next o
Kat
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Pretty good fantasy story with well-rounded characters.
Rosa
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one a lot. It was a nice surprise since the other co-authored book by Voinov I had read wasn't so well for me. But this Scorpions pushed all my buttons in a good way.
The setting is incredible, the worldbuilding is well done, and the characters are interesting. But, this book isn't for the faint of heart. This world is brutal and the characters living in it suffer its brutality.
We follow Kendra's story, a mercenary, in a world which is in a middle of a war, full of occult interests
Vanessa North
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read much fantasy in recent years. I've found my requirements for what I enjoy in a fantasy story have gotten pickier, and I simply haven't wanted to spend the time hunting for new fantasy authors to try.

Well, Aleksandr Voinov could write just about anything and I would read it, because he's just that good. When I found out Scorpion would be re-released, I added it to my TBR immediately, preordered it, and couldn't wait to read it.

This is one of those books I kept setting aside as I w
Lady*M
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, m-m-romance
Exceptional. If Voinov ever decides to give us another book set in this world, I'll follow him as gladly as Scorpions followed their officer. I can't recommend the book strongly enough. And I won't say more, because you have to experience this book on your own. Just read it.

Edit after reading the second edition:

Well, now. I don't know if it was the editing or the fact that I savored the book or maybe even the fact that I have more experience now with the author's books, but Scorpion worked even
ebook availability 1 8 May 30, 2016 04:43AM
Scorpion (Memory of Scorpion #1) BR - 14 September 2014 62 22 Sep 16, 2014 01:52AM

• The High King's Golden Tongue (Tales of the High Court, #1)
  • Project Hero
  • The Christmas Deal
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour, #1)
  • Pieces of You (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Captive (Beautiful Monsters #1)
  • Pieces of Me (Missing Pieces, #2)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Exhale (Flesh and Bone, #1)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • The Bones Beneath My Skin
  • Without You
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)

Memory of Scorpions (3 books)
  • Lying with Scorpions (Memory of Scorpions #2)
  • A Taste for Poison (Memory of Scorpions, #3)

News & Interviews

“If you'd lie with scorpions, you need a taste for poison.” 26 likes
It was easier being strong when another man was strong enough to be weak. 17 likes