Start by marking “HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites” as Want to Read:
HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites

HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  3,240 Ratings  ·  273 Reviews
Every day, more and more people want to learn some HTML and CSS. Joining the professional web designers and programmers are new audiences who need to know a little bit of code at work (update a content management system or e-commerce store) and those who want to make their personal blogs more attractive. Many books teaching HTML and CSS are dry and only written for those w ...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Wiley (first published October 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about HTML and CSS, please sign up.

imane
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: learning
جربت مشاهدة الفيديوهات لكن مللت بسرعة. بكل بساطة اعشق الكتب. الكتاب منظم بطريقة رائعة وفي نهاية كل فصل ملخص. انصح كل مبتدئ بقراءته
فلنمر الان الى الكتاب الثاني
JavaScript and JQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development
Larry McCloskey
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Credit where credit is due: this is a great looking book. The layout and design are top notch, is easy to read and there are plenty of illustrations and examples of everything discussed.

The problem with the book is that I'm not sure who the audience is. If you already know HTML and CSS, the majority of the book is probably beneath you. If you're new, then it might be over your head as it explores topics instead of really getting into the "how to" side of things.

There's enough good information to
Kathie
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I swore after taking COBOL and FORTRAN in college (back when you lugged around boxes of punch cards), I wanted no more to do with coding or programming. And did I really need to know this stuff? Then I started a Wordpress site and, being a designer myself, I really wanted to either customize the template I was using or created one from scratch that was what I wanted. So, I started learning HTML & CSS online though CodeLesson.com and found I needed a couple of more resources. This book is SO ...more
David Sarkies
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Make Your Website Pretty
18 August 2018

Another university text book, and honestly, I probably shouldn’t go on a rant about university text books, particularly since that everything these books tend to contain can pretty much be found, for free, on the internet. As you can probably tell, this book is basically all about web development, though this book is more about how to make a website look pretty as opposed to actually making the website do funky stuff. Yet, in reality, our lecturers and tuto
Yehya Çalî
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5
Aly Osama
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i think it's the best book for HTML and CSS .
Kevin Garner
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
My original review: "A great, minimalist guide to web development with lush attention to print design. It's like a book-sized magazine written for the classroom, but it's mercifully much easier to read than any textbook on the subject."

Update 1: This book is a nice snapshot of HTML in 2011, but enough has changed since then that this book is now well out of date. I think this book gives you some easy access to some of the basics, but that's about it. If I were to pick up this book now, it would
Raissa
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is the most straight-forward introduction to HTML and CSS that I have found. I started reading a few other books before finding this one, and they all start with lots of unnecessary background information (What is a browser? How does the World Wide Web work?) before getting into the actual "how to" of creating a web page.

The only complaint I have after reading (almost the entire) book is that now, I'm not really sure where to start. It would be helpful as a sort of last step for the au
Bill Krieger
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had some website work to do, and I decided to do it "right" (just to be clear... those are sarcastic quotes). The "right" (again) way to do website is to separate form form content by using HTML combined with CSS. Now, CSS is pretty obnoxious, but once you climb the learning curve, it is an attractive model.

So, I grabbed this book. It is awesome.

+ It's both a how-to and a reference book.

+ It's introductory and has more in-depth information.

+ It looks great with tons of color examples.

+ It has
Robert Thompson
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, design, favourites
The first thing that struck me about this book was that it's beautiful. I kid you not. A coding design manual that's visually stunning.

Things are even better, when added to the fact that overall, it was pleasure to read too. It is hard to put down a book when it's almost perfectly tuned. The only times I accomplished the feat, was through sheer exhaustion and later in the book, when I had to try out some of the trickier but simply explained examples. Really this book is brilliant.

The beauty of i
Evelyn
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found HTML and CSS to be really intimidating when I was in college. This book is exactly what it claims to be in that it truly is a nicer way to learn HTML and CSS. I started working with a simple text editor and then slowly transitioned to working in dreamweaver. This book allowed me to take my time and really focus on writing really clean code. So if you're interested in learning how to make really awesome basic websites but are maybe a little scared, this book is perfect!

Random note:
Dark pa
April
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you are in the market for a HTML/CSS book that will actually make you excited about HTML/CSS, get this book. It's so beautiful and simple and makes coding look beautiful and simple.

I didn't read every word of it, but given more time and energy I totally would have.

Easily the best textbook of my MLIS.
Chad Warner
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chad by: The East Wing podcast
This is the most visually pleasing web design book I’ve ever read. It’s logically organized and explains concepts well, using simple terms, code examples, and beautiful illustrations. I wish I had had it when I was first learning HTML and CSS. The book focuses on the fundamentals of HTML and CSS (including some HTML5 and CSS3), but there are also a handful of pages about the design process, SEO, and analytics.

I won a copy of this book in a Twitter contest from The East Wing podcast, one of my fa
Leslie
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, computer
The first thing I noticed when I opened the book was how it looked. It is visually stunning with full color, glossy pages and large, easy to read type. Examples of code are placed next to a picture of what it will look like when viewed in a web browser making it easy for the reader to visualize.

The book begins at an introductory level and is targeted at the beginner or user who has some basic knowledge and wants to learn to build a website from scratch using a text editor such as notepad. The fi
Wessam Khalil
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer
This is a very good book that takes you into the web development world from scratch. It focuses on web design rather than web development, but it is essential for you if you are a beginner.

It starts teaching you what is the web and how the web works, how your browser works and what happens if you asked for a specific website.

Then it takes you through the process of coding a website which is divided into two sections:
- The first one is the HTML section
- The second one is the CSS section
Through th
Mat
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Helpful and quick guide to HTML and CSS.

I did spot a few typos within the book. Sadly these typos were in importance areas. For example the book stated that the value for an Alpha value within HSLA were from 0.0 to 1.5, rather than 1.0 as reflected by W3 publications. The ebook also had a typo in the introductory chapters stating that HTML5 was released in 2000, over a decade early.

Very helpful from an overview and conceptual standpoint. Poor proofreading of this book makes me concerned that th
Helene Fosse
This is a superb book for learning HTML and CSS. It's unlike any other programming-type book I have ever seen, with a beautiful and tidy design that really helps the reader understand the concept of coding. There is nothing included in this book that doesn't have to be there.

As a design-student, I completely fell in love with this books layout as well, and will probably not only refer to it while making websites, but also for layout- and book-design.
Ibrahim Mohamed
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
it is worth more than 5 stars the book is very organised . it have taken me from nothing in the world of the web industry to a lot of basics and advanced topics in html and its editions , css and its editions, seo , web design ,google analytics . must read for every one want to begin his career in the web design . the was supported with a lot of websites helped me to understand this topic ,good luck .
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Non-web folks looking to learn basic coding.
Shelves: tech, web
Wiley sent me a review copy of this HTML & CSS book because I teach an intro web design class at an art college (Pacific NW College of Art). I don't usually rate the tech/web books here on Goodreads, because they mostly suck, but this one is great for designers/artists/non-tech folks. It'll be my required text next term--it's that well-done.
Joshua Goller
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent overview of HTML/CSS - I read the first half and skimmed the second because I had already seen Udacity's "Intro to HTML/CSS" class, but anyone who wants to learn HTML/CSS would be well served by reading this in detail. The pages are big and pretty looking, with little text on them.
Hannah Notess
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
Love how the information is organized. Everything is very clear and nice to look at.

know the web changes quickly, but it is definitely too bad there is nothing on mobile-first or responsive design... Maybe just a page or two.

Probably time for a new edition?
Kayed Al-qasimi
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great handbook for learning to code HTML and CSS. The design of the book is vibrant and you get to the information you need quickly.

I found the last couple of chapters on design and website analytics to be really helpful.
jessica
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
so informative! the information is laid out in a very comprehensive way and made learning about coding very accessible.

4 stars
Gabo Lugo
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The most amazing and graphical HTML and CSS book for beginners. It cover a lot of topics, even web driven graphic design. I recommend it a lot.
Athena Shardbearer
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a good book to help planning and designing a website. Wish there was more coding.
Tansica
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book so concise and articulate even an English major (like me) can take a crack at it!

I picked up this book at my university library because I have an idea for a website/app and wanted to learn the basic discourse for coding, and it did not disappoint! Like my fellow reviewers, the author took great care in creating a simple and aesthetically pleasing layout that makes reading and learning the text much more approachable than other HTML/CSS books. Jon Duckett’s HTML & CSS actually made lea
Graham
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Html and CSS" by Jon Duckett is a fabulous non-fiction book that teaches you about High Text Markup Language(HTML) and Cascading Style Sheets(CSS). The book first talks about how everything we use on the internet is written in code and it is always in HTML. He then gives you a 10-14 chapter tutorial on how to write in HTML. For example, he has charts and tables and screenshots that show you exactly how to do this thing and have the code displayed next to it. After walking you through the ins an ...more
Jawaher ʚϊɞ
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm glad I picked this book up and followed many other reviews that had this book on top suggestions to start building a foundation on webdesign. It's well organised and I love how colorful it is and how each chapter ends with a real world example. It took me some time to finish it as I was practicing what I read, while following an HTML and CSS online course. It was a great reference, I only wished it included some practices and quizzes to enhance the learning experience.

My only complaint howe
George Bremner
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book. If you are a beginner to building a website or want a deeper understanding of basic HTML/CSS while tweaking your WIX site or whatever you’re doing, this book is for you. The authors went over the top with the design and presentation of the material. It’s like they realized that creative people don’t want to bored to death with a straight instruction manual untethered from real life examples. I mean, throw me a picture or two, and so, they have. Each chapter flows into th ...more
Kevin Godinho
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for a beginner who would like to be introduced to html and css. I watched many tutorial videos before reading this book, so there was not much new information for me. However, there were bits and pieces that were new and reading this book gave me a better understanding of what I learned via the tutorial videos. Reading line by line is generally a much more thorough process in comparison to a video. For that, I give 4 stars.
igreenik20@gmail.com 1 1 Sep 17, 2018 03:19AM
Does Your ECommerce Site Really Need a Mobile App? 1 1 May 17, 2018 01:11PM
Eat and leave your site 1 1 Jan 14, 2018 12:01AM
Eat and leave your site 1 1 Jan 13, 2018 11:54PM
MOST EFFICIENT AND TRUSTED SERVICES FOR DEVELOPMENT OF CMS AND ECOMMERCE WEBSITES IN SINGAPORE 1 3 Aug 20, 2017 09:00PM
http://realcoloncleansingworks.com/enduro-rush-testosterone-booster/ 1 2 Jun 21, 2017 04:09AM
Website Design and Development 1 2 Jan 24, 2017 08:32PM
  • Above the Fold: Understanding the Principles of Successful Web Site Design
  • Responsive Web Design
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • CSS3 For Web Designers
  • Head First HTML and CSS
  • Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to Html, Css, Javascript, and Web Graphics
  • On Web Typography
  • Professional JavaScript for Web Developers
  • A Practical Guide to Designing for the Web
  • HTML5 for Web Designers
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • Vector Basic Training: A Systematic Creative Process for Building Precision Vector Artwork (Voices That Matter)
  • Mobile First
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • Head First Web Design
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • Smashing CSS: Professional Techniques for Modern Layout

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jon Duckett has been designing and building web sites for over a decade, working with global brands, and has authored and co-authored over a dozen books on web design, programming, usability and accessibility. He has curated conferences about web programming and has been a web strategy consultant, often coding front ends for projects and designing architectures for back end programming. He is the ...more