Start by marking “HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites” as Want to Read:
HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites

HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  2,459 Ratings  ·  218 Reviews
Every day, more and more people want to learn some HTML and CSS. Joining the professional web designers and programmers are new audiences who need to know a little bit of code at work (update a content management system or e-commerce store) and those who want to make their personal blogs more attractive. Many books teaching HTML and CSS are dry and only written for those w ...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Wiley (first published October 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about HTML and CSS, please sign up.

Kathie
Feb 13, 2013 Kathie rated it it was amazing
I swore after taking COBOL and FORTRAN in college (back when you lugged around boxes of punch cards), I wanted no more to do with coding or programming. And did I really need to know this stuff? Then I started a Wordpress site and, being a designer myself, I really wanted to either customize the template I was using or created one from scratch that was what I wanted. So, I started learning HTML & CSS online though CodeLesson.com and found I needed a couple of more resources. This book is SO ...more
Larry McCloskey
Feb 02, 2013 Larry McCloskey rated it liked it
Credit where credit is due: this is a great looking book. The layout and design are top notch, is easy to read and there are plenty of illustrations and examples of everything discussed.

The problem with the book is that I'm not sure who the audience is. If you already know HTML and CSS, the majority of the book is probably beneath you. If you're new, then it might be over your head as it explores topics instead of really getting into the "how to" side of things.

There's enough good information to
Raissa
Sep 15, 2013 Raissa rated it it was amazing
This book is the most straight-forward introduction to HTML and CSS that I have found. I started reading a few other books before finding this one, and they all start with lots of unnecessary background information (What is a browser? How does the World Wide Web work?) before getting into the actual "how to" of creating a web page.

The only complaint I have after reading (almost the entire) book is that now, I'm not really sure where to start. I would be helpful as a sort of last step for the aut
Bill Krieger
Jul 21, 2012 Bill Krieger rated it it was amazing
I had some website work to do, and I decided to do it "right" (just to be clear... those are sarcastic quotes). The "right" (again) way to do website is to separate form form content by using HTML combined with CSS. Now, CSS is pretty obnoxious, but once you climb the learning curve, it is an attractive model.

So, I grabbed this book. It is awesome.

+ It's both a how-to and a reference book.

+ It's introductory and has more in-depth information.

+ It looks great with tons of color examples.

+ It has
Kevin Garner
Mar 04, 2014 Kevin Garner rated it liked it
My original review: "A great, minimalist guide to web development with lush attention to print design. It's like a book-sized magazine written for the classroom, but it's mercifully much easier to read than any textbook on the subject."

Update 1: This book is a nice snapshot of HTML in 2011, but enough has changed since then that this book is now well out of date. I think this book gives you some easy access to some of the basics, but that's about it. If I were to pick up this book now, it would
Robert
Sep 18, 2013 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, design, favourites
The first thing that struck me about this book was that it's beautiful. I kid you not. A coding design manual that's visually stunning.

Things are even better, when added to the fact that overall, it was pleasure to read too. It is hard to put down a book when it's almost perfectly tuned. The only times I accomplished the feat, was through sheer exhaustion and later in the book, when I had to try out some of the trickier but simply explained examples. Really this book is brilliant.

The beauty of i
Evelyn
Jun 23, 2012 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
I found HTML and CSS to be really intimidating when I was in college. This book is exactly what it claims to be in that it truly is a nicer way to learn HTML and CSS. I started working with a simple text editor and then slowly transitioned to working in dreamweaver. This book allowed me to take my time and really focus on writing really clean code. So if you're interested in learning how to make really awesome basic websites but are maybe a little scared, this book is perfect!

Random note:
Dark pa
April
Jan 31, 2016 April rated it really liked it
If you are in the market for a HTML/CSS book that will actually make you excited about HTML/CSS, get this book. It's so beautiful and simple and makes coding look beautiful and simple.

I didn't read every word of it, but given more time and energy I totally would have.

Easily the best textbook of my MLIS.
Chad Warner
Jul 03, 2012 Chad Warner rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chad by: The East Wing podcast
This is the most visually pleasing web design book I’ve ever read. It’s logically organized and explains concepts well, using simple terms, code examples, and beautiful illustrations. I wish I had had it when I was first learning HTML and CSS. The book focuses on the fundamentals of HTML and CSS (including some HTML5 and CSS3), but there are also a handful of pages about the design process, SEO, and analytics.

I won a copy of this book in a Twitter contest from The East Wing podcast, one of my fa
Leslie
Jan 08, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, computer
The first thing I noticed when I opened the book was how it looked. It is visually stunning with full color, glossy pages and large, easy to read type. Examples of code are placed next to a picture of what it will look like when viewed in a web browser making it easy for the reader to visualize.

The book begins at an introductory level and is targeted at the beginner or user who has some basic knowledge and wants to learn to build a website from scratch using a text editor such as notepad. The fi
Wessam Khalil
Aug 21, 2012 Wessam Khalil rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer
This is a very good book that takes you into the web development world from scratch. It focuses on web design rather than web development, but it is essential for you if you are a beginner.

It starts teaching you what is the web and how the web works, how your browser works and what happens if you asked for a specific website.

Then it takes you through the process of coding a website which is divided into two sections:
- The first one is the HTML section
- The second one is the CSS section
Through th
Mat
Apr 19, 2016 Mat rated it liked it
Helpful and quick guide to HTML and CSS.

I did spot a few typos within the book. Sadly these typos were in importance areas. For example the book stated that the value for an Alpha value within HSLA were from 0.0 to 1.5, rather than 1.0 as reflected by W3 publications. The ebook also had a typo in the introductory chapters stating that HTML5 was released in 2000, over a decade early.

Very helpful from an overview and conceptual standpoint. Poor proofreading of this book makes me concerned that th
Helene
This is a superb book for learning HTML and CSS. It's unlike any other programming-type book I have ever seen, with a beautiful and tidy design that really helps the reader understand the concept of coding. There is nothing included in this book that doesn't have to be there.

As a design-student, I completely fell in love with this books layout as well, and will probably not only refer to it while making websites, but also for layout- and book-design.
Autumn Meier
Dec 09, 2015 Autumn Meier rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I thought I would teach myself something new. This was a great resource for HTML; I knew virtually nothing about it, but I understood everything clearly without feeling too out of my depth. I don't have the time to play around with web building right now, but if I ever do I'll be sure to purchase this as my primary source.
Dana
Dec 28, 2015 Dana rated it it was amazing
Whether you just like to tinker around with HTML or you're serious about it as part of your career, this book is for you. I'm a visual learner, and I can't stand boring texts...this book is GORGEOUS. Really beautiful pictures, layouts and it makes learning HTML and CSS a breeze. Seriously, add this to your reference collection.
Feb 25, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Non-web folks looking to learn basic coding.
Shelves: tech, web
Wiley sent me a review copy of this HTML & CSS book because I teach an intro web design class at an art college (Pacific NW College of Art). I don't usually rate the tech/web books here on Goodreads, because they mostly suck, but this one is great for designers/artists/non-tech folks. It'll be my required text next term--it's that well-done.
Joshua Goller
Apr 20, 2015 Joshua Goller rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent overview of HTML/CSS - I read the first half and skimmed the second because I had already seen Udacity's "Intro to HTML/CSS" class, but anyone who wants to learn HTML/CSS would be well served by reading this in detail. The pages are big and pretty looking, with little text on them.
Hannah Notess
May 10, 2016 Hannah Notess rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
Love how the information is organized. Everything is very clear and nice to look at.

know the web changes quickly, but it is definitely too bad there is nothing on mobile-first or responsive design... Maybe just a page or two.

Probably time for a new edition?
Kayed Al-qasimi
May 09, 2016 Kayed Al-qasimi rated it really liked it
A great handbook for learning to code HTML and CSS. The design of the book is vibrant and you get to the information you need quickly.

I found the last couple of chapters on design and website analytics to be really helpful.
Gabo Lugo
Feb 20, 2014 Gabo Lugo rated it it was amazing
The most amazing and graphical HTML and CSS book for beginners. It cover a lot of topics, even web driven graphic design. I recommend it a lot.
Wayne
Dec 06, 2015 Wayne rated it it was amazing
Anyone with an interest in web design will benefit from this book.
You'll find it covers everything you need to get you started in web design.
Aly Osama
Feb 06, 2016 Aly Osama rated it it was amazing
i think it's the best book for HTML and CSS .
Athena Shardbearer
Feb 09, 2014 Athena Shardbearer rated it really liked it
It's a good book to help planning and designing a website. Wish there was more coding.
Kenan_AbuZaid
Feb 12, 2016 Kenan_AbuZaid rated it really liked it
Just amazing!
Jared Thomson
Jan 10, 2016 Jared Thomson rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and beautiful. Could just as easily be on a coffee table as a work table.
Esther Marie
Dec 03, 2016 Esther Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This will stay on my shelf as a reference book. It has a lot of info for beginners and also includes a nice breakdown of different HTML and CSS elements. A good go-to for someone thinking, "I know I can do this with CSS... but how?"

Some of the information seems a tiny bit dated. Things like bootstrap, flexbox and grid aren't addressed, and most of the topics aren't explored in exhaustive detail. Others have commented that a lot of information about HTML5 is also lacking. Still, a nice book for
Feb 04, 2017 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This book doesn't contain everything you need to know about HTML-no book could. It does, however, contain everything you need to know to get started. It is written in a way that someone who knows nothing about the internet can still understand it. It's also a great resource for people like me who only occasionally need to use HTML and could use a refresher. The text is nicely broken up and contains lots of infographics. Elements and attributes are shown as both code and the resulting image. Ther ...more
Jess
Mar 19, 2017 Jess rated it really liked it
A great book to browse through. The layout and structure of this book invite browsing; you can just jump fro idea to idea. The difference between examples is obvious and shown in code. It's beautiful.

I enjoyed flipping through it-the sections about design and audience in the back demand a little more attention.

I'd recommend this to anyone who has or wants to have a website...and perhaps aspiring coders. Folks new to HTML and CSS may want to try out the examples in the book--going a little deep
Scott
Feb 16, 2017 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: textbooks
A beautifully presented book with good concise information. It is starting to look a bit dated though, and could use a new edition.
Steven Bright
Jan 12, 2017 Steven Bright rated it really liked it
This HTML and CSS book is cool.
Website Design and Development 1 1 Jan 24, 2017 08:32PM
  • Above the Fold: Understanding the Principles of Successful Web Site Design
  • Responsive Web Design
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • CSS3 For Web Designers
  • Head First HTML and CSS
  • Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Web Graphics
  • On Web Typography
  • Professional JavaScript for Web Developers
  • A Practical Guide to Designing for the Web
  • HTML5 for Web Designers
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • Vector Basic Training: A Systematic Creative Process for Building Precision Vector Artwork (Voices That Matter)
  • Mobile First
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • Head First Web Design
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • Smashing CSS: Professional Techniques for Modern Layout

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »